PDA

View Full Version : Lewis and Jenson to sit out testing

Knock-on
18th April 2012, 16:25
Hamilton and Button to sit out F1's mid-season Mugello test - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98950)

Quite strange. I would have thought an opinion from an existing driver as to how the car feels would be invaluable.

F1boat
18th April 2012, 17:17
Maybe McLaren are very confident in their car.

CaptainRaiden
18th April 2012, 22:58
I would love to hear the reasoning behind this.

How is Lewis supposed to find answers regarding his race pace, and Button about his qualifying pace? Does their simulator answer all?

Or do the Mclaren reserve drivers (one of them inexperienced) provide better technical feedback?

Probably Mclaren are giving their drivers some free time off the track. Still it would make sense for race drivers to make use of the only, and quite possibly crucial, in-season test in 2012.

gloomyDAY
19th April 2012, 05:54
No biggie. Less time to get pulled around the world and more time to get some R&R, then get ready to race!

Mark
19th April 2012, 16:09
Perhaps getting their test drivers into the car is more valuable to them as they then can give better feedback in the simulator.

driveace
19th April 2012, 20:20
perhaps they know the car is the dogs bo****cks with out any more testing,or rest for drivers

jens
20th April 2012, 14:34
Maybe McLaren are very confident in their car.

I think this can never be the case. All teams know very well that once you take it easy for a moment, rivals will catch and pass you. Especially in fiercely competitive top-level sports. :)

I assume Mark's explanation may be the most plausible one. Perhaps due to extensive work on simulator test drivers have a better idea about on-going car development process. And can keep working on them on the race track in real life practice. I think modern-day simulators are so advanced that they are basically testing new parts already there. And perhaps Turvey and Paffett are more familiar with the items that will be tried out at Mugello.

CaptainRaiden
24th April 2012, 10:52
Hamilton: Mugello test plans might change - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/277780/hamilton-mugello-test-plans-might-change/)

Hamilton: Mugello test plans might change

Lewis Hamilton has dropped a sizeable hint that he will test at Mugello next week, despite McLaren's announcement of reserve drivers Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey.

Following a challenging Bahrain Grand Prix, in which Hamilton finished the best part of a minute behind ultimate winner Sebastian Vettel after two botched pit-stops, the 2008 Champion is eager to uncover why his car was 'miles off' the pace.

"It might change," he said of McLaren's in-season testing plans. "I need to get back in the car. We need to figure out why the tyres are going off. If there are other things to test or ways to figure out I will be the one to do it, not let someone else do it.

"We have a lot of work to do. There is no quick fix. We really have to make some big improvements to the car because the qualifying pace is there but the race pace, at least today (Sunday), was miles off."

The upcoming 1-4 May gathering, taking place near the Italian city of Florence, marks the much anticipated return of in-season testing for the first time since 2009.

Well, DUH...