PDA

View Full Version : Who to replace Latvala in Argentina?

Pages : [1] 2

rallyfiend
13th April 2012, 14:22
World Rally Championship - News - Injury forces Latvala out of Argentina (http://www.wrc.com/news/injury-forces-latvala-out-of-argentina/?fid=16502)

I'd put it on Novikov.

bassist
13th April 2012, 14:29
Oh dear, I bet this has gone down well at Ford! That`s it for him and the Blue Oval then?

oyunbozan
13th April 2012, 14:39
brace yourselves, Östberg is coming

bassist
13th April 2012, 14:41
Why not give it to Kris Meeke?

MJW
13th April 2012, 14:43
My guess is Tanak. Future planning opportunity for Malcolm, preview of the 2013 Ford line up, PS and Ott Tanak, Malcolm knows that Østberg and Novikov will be pay drivers.

whosyo
13th April 2012, 14:44
Oh no...
I've really hoped that Petter become a first driver, but not this way.

anyway, I'll bet my money on Ostberg

Jake Stephens
13th April 2012, 14:54
Gronhölm would be nice :) I know it couldn't be though..

wrchirek
13th April 2012, 14:54
One more vote for Østberg - fast, private, knows the Fiesta well

Allyc85
13th April 2012, 15:09
One more vote for Østberg - fast, private, knows the Fiesta well

Agreed he is a very solid driver, though Novikov has to be worth a shot with his new found ability to finish rallys!

A.F.F.
13th April 2012, 15:10
Why not give it to Kris Meeke?

Why give it to Meeke and make a new contract with someone who hasn't driven for a while when the team has Östberg, Tanäk and Novikov to pick from. I'd give it to Östberg.

Mirek
13th April 2012, 15:11
Agree. In this situation Østberg is a solid choice.

Sulland
13th April 2012, 15:12
Østberg gets my vote!

N.O.T
13th April 2012, 15:18
Ostberg is the logical choice...

An all- Norwegian team for Ford :)

Miika
13th April 2012, 15:19
Definitely Mads.

tmx
13th April 2012, 15:48
MJW is right, Tanak is groomed for the position. Ostberg is faster now, but is a paying driver and will stay that way.

That whole Jari as #1 driver didn't work out. This may be Petter last chance to fight for the championship, like he said, I'm crossing my arms, legs, everything.

ZequeArgentina
13th April 2012, 15:58
Definitely Mads.

I would put Mads, but I guess Tanak also has chances; even more than Novikov. (my opinion)

focus206
13th April 2012, 16:16
I really hope Mads will take the place, but I "fear" Tanak will take it instead...

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2012, 16:21
Meeke would be a great gesture but sadly wont happen. Tanak will be good for some points though..

rallye-vid
13th April 2012, 16:31
If we see Novikov, M-Sport wants some money
If we see Østberg, Ford wants some points
If we see Tänak, Ford/M-Sport will check if he is ready for a manufacturer seat

Just my 2 cents ;)

Rallyper
13th April 2012, 16:36
How about PG? He´s been in some events now and is fast and looks more reliable at present.

Östberg of course if rules permit.

pino
13th April 2012, 16:40
I say give that car to Gigi :D

bluuford
13th April 2012, 16:42
Tänak and Novikov are nominated for M-Sport FWRT. I do not know if it is allowed to put them in another team.

BleAivano
13th April 2012, 16:45
i'd go with Tänak if rules allow, if not i'd choose PG.

gravelman
13th April 2012, 16:49
Whoever gets it won't be getting it for free, that can be certain. Meeke is still under contract at mini, so sadly that won't happen, likewise he doesn't have the money if he could.

jens
13th April 2012, 17:02
IMO Tänak would still be too green and risky to hire for a factory drive. I'd hire Östberg for such one-off event, he is quite experienced and consistent already. Novikov has improved leaps and bounds for this year, so he is food for thought too.

Viking
13th April 2012, 17:02
Can they change Miikka Anttila in the car?? And has Gronholm anything to do this weekend... :)

A.F.F.
13th April 2012, 17:09
Paasonen, if they make the car a little bit bigger ;)

Rallyper
13th April 2012, 17:16
Atko?

Sulland
13th April 2012, 17:16
Ostberg is the logical choice...

An all- Norwegian team for Ford :)

Toppers !! ;)

But where are all the greek drivers ?

It is strange that Norway has 4 drivers that can take podiums in WRC. A country with 5 million people and where Rally was not allowed until 1987/88 !

A.F.F.
13th April 2012, 17:24
Toppers !! ;)

It is strange that Norway has 4 drivers that can take podiums in WRC. A country with 5 million people and where Rally was not allowed until 1987/88 !

All due to Petter I say. :up:

But which four?

jbmarcus21
13th April 2012, 17:29
Marcus !! :)

Langdale Forest
13th April 2012, 17:35
Duval? :uhoh:

dyfi1
13th April 2012, 17:38
Via Tweet, Kristian Sohlberg@Krisse_Sohlberg "Surprised that my phone has not rang...Malcolm must have wrong number".. :)

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 17:42
All due to Petter I say. :up:

But which four?

Petter, Henning, Mads, but next best is Mikkelsen with a 5th in Sweden. I am sure Andreas could take podiums if he was in the WRC ;)

A.F.F.
13th April 2012, 18:34
Petter, Henning, Mads, but next best is Mikkelsen with a 5th in Sweden. I am sure Andreas could take podiums if he was in the WRC ;)

I think this is excatly the reason Norway and norvegians are doing so well. The opportunism is build inside you :p

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 18:49
I think this is excatly the reason Norway and norvegians are doing so well. The opportunism is build inside you :p

I'm not even Norwegian, just an honorary one!

Maxi
13th April 2012, 18:54
I think it would be cool to see Ogier in that second ford.

N.O.T
13th April 2012, 18:54
Toppers !! ;)

The answer is simple...

In Norway in order to climb up the ladder you need to have money and skills...and usually manufacturers appreciate the latter...

In Greece in order to climb up the ladder you have to have money, yes men, good connections with the people who control the sport and of course to be able to diminish the chances of the competition by non-legal means...skills are irellevant...and that is the reason why...

Everything in life is explained with logic... why would you expect a country where 70% of its citizens are common corrupted thieves to have different values when it comes to motorsport ??

Mirek
13th April 2012, 18:55
I think it would be cool to see Ogier in that second ford.

Sure it would but Ogier is works driver of VW.

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 19:03
I've just this second heard a very interesting link to the Ford seat - they've already been in contact with someone I wouldn't have thought would have had a look-in. Obviously I can't say much and I know this is just teasing, but there is a chance it might not be someone as obvious as has already been suggested. I'll wait for more info before making more certain comments!

MJW
13th April 2012, 19:05
I've just this second heard a very interesting link to the Ford seat - they've already been in contact with someone I wouldn't have thought would have had a look-in. Obviously I can't say much and I know this is just teasing, but there is a chance it might not be someone as obvious as has already been suggested. I'll wait for more info before making more certain comments!
Hanninen?

dimviii
13th April 2012, 19:14
Hanninen?
Juho has a contract

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 19:15
Give us a hint... is he a rich hobby driver, or a big driver from the past?

rallye-vid
13th April 2012, 19:19
Jari Ketomaa :eek: :confused:

ste898
13th April 2012, 19:20
I cannot understand why nobody has mentioned the ultimate driver for the job Markko Martin!!!!

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 19:22
Give us a hint... is he a rich hobby driver, or a big driver from the past?

Neither really I'm afraid, but nearer the first one.

Priorat
13th April 2012, 19:28
Sordo

MJW
13th April 2012, 19:30
Kimi :-)! 3 grand prix's in and he is bored of going round in circles and wants to come back.

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 19:30
Delecour?

gravelman
13th April 2012, 19:31
A wild guess says that rumours about breen are floating, that cannot be true

MJW
13th April 2012, 19:33
A wild guess says that rumours about breen are floating, that cannot be true Remember Ford needs points. Mads can deliver points and has been fast this year.

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 19:39
I wish it was Kimi :D and Delecour would surely count as a big driver from the past!

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 19:40
Ford World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson says a decision on who will replace Jari-Matti Latvala on Philips Rally Argentina later this month is unlikely until Monday of next week. :(
World Rally Championship - News - Wilson: Latvala replacement decision due next week (http://www.wrc.com/news/wilson-latvala-replacement-decision-due-next-week/?fid=16503)

MikeD
13th April 2012, 19:51

Villagra? :D He is an argentinian and it is Rally Argentina

Kielder
13th April 2012, 19:51
When Wilson was injured before Sweden, Tanak replaced him in the Go Fast team. As happened then, I suppose the new driver of the official team is already an entry of Argentina, so we will lose a car.

amilk
13th April 2012, 19:52
The most logical from MW's point of view is Mads - he can deliver good result, top 4. The budget of Mads for this round could be regroupped to other round of the season which was not in the plan for this year and like this the season complete. If Adapta rent the car from MW (don't know) the same money in the pocket for MW for this year.
MW will not go with other driver who is not WRC regular (Atko and other mentioned names ...)

Barreis
13th April 2012, 19:54
FIA nominated drivers are here. Don't know if they can change teams after nominations.
Rally Argentina - Entries (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/wrc-entries-arg.aspx)

MJW
13th April 2012, 19:56
Mads and Adapta said that going to Argentina was going to cost 20% of the season's budget for them. Based on that it is logical that Mads substitutes for JML and that 20% of the budget can be re-allocated.

Francis44
13th April 2012, 19:59
Mads and Adapta said that going to Argentina was going to cost 20% of the season's budget for them. Based on that it is logical that Mads substitutes for JML and that 20% of the budget can be re-allocated.

Not at all. I think cars and equipment may be on there way to Argentina already and I dont see Mads driving the official car for free, he would have to pay just as much.

amilk
13th April 2012, 20:03
Not at all. I think cars and equipment may be on there way to Argentina already and I dont see Mads driving the official car for free, he would have to pay just as much.

MW needs the manu points for Ford - he is also under pressure and not much driver who can deliver good points. The logistic cost is some part of the budget the majority can be saved

bluuford
13th April 2012, 20:05
FIA nominated drivers are here. Don't know if they can change teams after nominations.
Rally Argentina - Entries (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/wrc-entries-arg.aspx)

So, Mads, Ott and Evgeny are all "booked" already. I think that it is not allowed to replace drivers between teams. They must find someone new. I wil read the regulations.

gravelman
13th April 2012, 20:06
Marcus???

Barreis
13th April 2012, 20:06
Solberg brothers. :D

focus206
13th April 2012, 20:09
What about Mads on the factory seat and Brynildsen replacing him in the Adapta car? Eyvind said there was a plan for more outings this season, so... just a thought.

amilk
13th April 2012, 20:14
What about Mads on the factory seat and Brynildsen replacing him in the Adapta car? Eyvind said there was a plan for more outings this season, so... just a thought.

Right, looks logical

bluuford
13th April 2012, 20:19
7.2.6 Must inform the FIA of the name of the first driver entered for the season at the time of
registration for the Championship. This driver may change only after the agreement of the World Rally
Championship Commission.

21.4 CHANGE OF ENTRANT AND/OR CREW MEMBER(S)
A change of entrant is permitted up to the close of entries.
After closure of entries, one member of the crew may be replaced with the agreement of:
- The organisers, before the start of the administrative checks.
- The Stewards, after the commencement of these checks and before the publication of the list of crews
eligible to take the start.
Only the FIA may authorise the replacement of both crew members or the entrant.

So, everythng depends on FIA. It is possbility that Antila might read the notes :-)

Doon
13th April 2012, 20:24
I hope it's Markko Martin. Think probably Tanak or Ostberg.......but dream that it's Mark Higgins!

Barreis
13th April 2012, 20:25
7.2.6 Must inform the FIA of the name of the first driver entered for the season at the time of
registration for the Championship. This driver may change only after the agreement of the World Rally
Championship Commission.

21.4 CHANGE OF ENTRANT AND/OR CREW MEMBER(S)
A change of entrant is permitted up to the close of entries.
After closure of entries, one member of the crew may be replaced with the agreement of:
- The organisers, before the start of the administrative checks.
- The Stewards, after the commencement of these checks and before the publication of the list of crews
eligible to take the start.
Only the FIA may authorise the replacement of both crew members or the entrant.

So, everythng depends on FIA. It is possbility that Antila might read the notes :-)

But when McRae replaced Loeb in Turkey 2006., Elena didn't have to read the notes.

pettersolberg29
13th April 2012, 20:26
I assume Mads is favourite for the seat, but he's certainly not the only person who has been looked at.

gravelman
13th April 2012, 20:33
I assume Mads is favourite for the seat, but he's certainly not the only person who has been looked at.

You know something we don't hahahaha. The suspense is immense.... Almost poetic

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 20:37
Probably Wilson contacted several people and told them "Look what you can find and give me an answer in a coupla days" :dozey:

Crocone
13th April 2012, 20:39
I feel very bad for Latvala. Mostly because he could be the only driver who could beat Loeb, even he was very faraway from the french driver on championship standings, and he was making a lot of mistakes. But he was mutch faster than anyone. And this is what I liked about him. And mostly because this could be the last year when he could directly beat Loeb (maybe Seb will retire after this season). So..."congratulations" Sebastien Loeb for your 9th title.

Barreis
13th April 2012, 20:41
It's pathetic to listen all this after only 4 rounds. No fortune teller around.

Allyc85
13th April 2012, 20:41
Imagine if it was Mat Wilson, certain people on here would literally explode!

Kielder
13th April 2012, 20:48
There are some problems if they choose Novikov, Ostberg or Tanak:
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000765&11)

rallye-vid
13th April 2012, 20:51
Imagine if it was Mat Wilson, certain people on here would literally explode!

I will not explode.. I couldn't stop laughing for a very looooooooong time ;)

Crocone
13th April 2012, 20:52
Even if Latvala will participate in Greece he will not be in good shape for competing at a high level. And I don't think he will 100% recover this year.

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 20:58
There are some problems if they choose Novikov, Ostberg or Tanak:
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000765&11)

That's exactly what we have written this evening?!?!?

Crocone
13th April 2012, 20:59
Marcus???

It would be a great opportunity for Marcus to show that he still have something to demonstrate (and also to recognise that he retired mutch too early :( ). I think that he is still in shape to get a top five result.

dimviii
13th April 2012, 21:01
That's exactly what we have written this evening?!?!?

seems like that lol

tfp
13th April 2012, 21:02

Ah, but, come on. Seriously ;)

Even if Latvala will participate in Greece he will not be in good shape for competing at a high level. And I don't think he will 100% recover this year.

I think he will recover this year, I think around about just after Catalunya... :(

N.O.T
13th April 2012, 21:03

Panizzi disagrees with you....

tfp
13th April 2012, 21:06
:champion: Panizzi disagrees with you....

I corrected your post ;)

N.O.T
13th April 2012, 21:12
i approve of your correction.

Doon
13th April 2012, 21:16
Markko Martin is not such a silly suggestion then. The candidates on irally ain't much cop, bar Atkinson and Gronholm.

tfp
13th April 2012, 21:17
All hail the king, baby!

Crocone
13th April 2012, 21:19
Markko Martin is not such a silly suggestion then. The candidates on irally ain't much cop, bar Atkinson and Gronholm.
I'm quite sure that will be Ostberg.

Humber
13th April 2012, 21:22
Juha Kankkunen seems to get recalls in Argentina. Tanak to JML's seat. Steve Rokland to Ott's seat.
Østberg - would be nice to reward his podiums with Ford Moco seat.

Allar
13th April 2012, 21:55
Dont you guys think that if u take a old retired driver and but him on very long Argentina stage they will get very tyred?

Xsara Fan
13th April 2012, 21:58
Of course I want Novikov to get a factory car in Argentina. But I think that Ostberg will replace JML and Eyvind Brynildsen will replace Ostberg in Adapta Team.

Juha_Koo
13th April 2012, 22:05
As far as I know, Markko Märtin doesn't have the will to compete anymore, due to reasons we all know.

...And yep, I know he has driven some Estonian rallies with that Focus but they were more leisure driving than competing imho.

N.O.T
13th April 2012, 22:28
Marko martin would be slower than Novikov and ostberg and probably tanak...

Rallyper
13th April 2012, 23:22
Well, then we have Marcus and Atko. Which one of those will it be? :s mokin:

tfp
14th April 2012, 00:18
Well, then we have Marcus and Atko. Which one of those will it be? :s mokin:

Either, preferably Gronholm :s mokin: I wish!

I reckon Ostberg will get the seat. Malcolm must see now, he has no choice but to put Petter as number 1.

Plan9
14th April 2012, 00:45
It just cracks me up that Delecour is being mentioned. My bet would be Hayden Paddon actually. That would really shake things up.

Viking
14th April 2012, 01:02
If I were an betting man.... Henning Solberg.

Malcolm owe him one good car after all this years. Henning is available, knows the car, team and the other driver ;) and he was on the podium last time he was there.

grugsticles
14th April 2012, 01:21
If he is available, Id say Gronholm will get the call from Wilson begging to come and drive.
I assume JML will only miss the one rally? How bad was his injuiry?

Gherid_lacksGPS
14th April 2012, 04:51
Atko?
My mind would explode.

Langdale Forest
14th April 2012, 08:50
Ken Block?
Conrad Rautenbach?

EuroTroll
14th April 2012, 08:52
There's no way Märtin would want to do it.

I'm hoping for Atkinson to get the call, although Grönholm would be great to see again as well.

Langdale Forest
14th April 2012, 08:54
Gronholm would be a good choice, although it has been over 2 years since his last WRC event, he was up to 2nd in Portugal 2009 in the Subaru WRC before he crashed.

Hartusvuori
14th April 2012, 09:09

And who is guessing on which stage should JML crash at about every coming event? Well, he beat you off guard on this one, didn't he?

J4MIE
14th April 2012, 09:21
Can't believe all the crazy suggestions here :crazy:

Even Marcus said after his last event in Sweden that he couldn't drive at the previous pace due to no testing. Your mind slows down if you're not doing it all the time, another reason the works cars are quicker than privateers

A.F.F.
14th April 2012, 09:55
Esa-Pekka Lappi... no wait, that was my wet dream... :p

bluuford
14th April 2012, 10:35
If he is available, Id say Gronholm will get the call from Wilson begging to come and drive.
I assume JML will only miss the one rally? How bad was his injuiry?

Usually it takes 3-4 weeks to heal, but you are not ready to drive World Rally Car immediately. Full recovery is around 3-4 months, sometimes up to 9 months (for older people and more serious fractures). Usually well trained people heal faster, should be OK by Acropolis.

skarderud
14th April 2012, 10:55
Not suitable to drive long rallies early after such injuries. Like bluuford says, maybe 3 months.

One guy ready and available is actually Henning. Its not cause i'm a norvegian, but i feel Henning never has been given good enough equipement to show his real pace. Maybe he got his change now? He has never been mentioned as a tarmacdriver, but i remember he won several swrc rallies in a s2000 fiesta couple of yrs ago. I think he is fast enough given fast cars, not the cheap and slow version's he's been driving these yrs.

14th April 2012, 11:47
Sordo to replace? - WRC : VICTIME D (http://www.autonewsinfo.com/2012/04/13/wrc-victime-dune-chute-de-ski-jari-matti-latvala-absent-au-rally-d-argentine/wrc-victime-dune-chute-de-ski-jari-matti-latvala-absent-au-rally-d-argentine-44762.html)

DonJippo
14th April 2012, 11:51
i feel Henning never has been given good enough equipement to show his real pace.

He has it's just that his real pace is not enough.

BleAivano
14th April 2012, 11:58
Sordo to replace? - WRC : VICTIME D (http://www.autonewsinfo.com/2012/04/13/wrc-victime-dune-chute-de-ski-jari-matti-latvala-absent-au-rally-d-argentine/wrc-victime-dune-chute-de-ski-jari-matti-latvala-absent-au-rally-d-argentine-44762.html)

Would Mini really let him drive for another factory team? I really doubt that.

noel157
14th April 2012, 12:07

"Another"? Sordo drives for a private team.

bluuford
14th April 2012, 12:11

Prodrive rents cars togethter with mechanics.. why not to rent drivers as well ;-)

Rallyper
14th April 2012, 14:51
Usually it takes 3-4 weeks to heal, but you are not ready to drive World Rally Car immediately. Full recovery is around 3-4 months, sometimes up to 9 months (for older people and more serious fractures). Usually well trained people heal faster, should be OK by Acropolis.

You´re not only meteorologist. You´re doctor too? ;)

bluuford
14th April 2012, 15:54
You´re not only meteorologist. You´re doctor too? ;)
No:-) I just had a few semesters of human biology and physiology at the university. And I remember that our professor told that collarbone is one of the bones that cracks most easily and heals also most quickly :-)

Allyc85
14th April 2012, 17:45
Unless you are a crazy Moto Gp rider who will be back on a crotch rocket within a week or so ;)

It depends on how bad the break is and where it is on the collar bone I guess.

rallyfiend
14th April 2012, 18:10
Unless you are a crazy Moto Gp rider who will be back on a crotch rocket within a week or so ;)

A MotoGP rider doesn't have the straps of a 5 point harness pressing directly on to his collarbone to contend with!

N.O.T
14th April 2012, 18:15

you come from a country which hosts the isle of mann and has the best road racing championship of the world and you call moto gp riders crazy.... Hmmmmmm

Andre Oliveira
14th April 2012, 18:30
Sordo at Argentina:

2009 - 2º (C4 WRC) +1.13.1
2008 - 3º (C4 WRC) +4.04.7
2007 - 6º (C4 WRC) +4.23.6
2006 - 5º (Xsara WRC) +5.40.2
2004 - Retired Mechanical (Lancer Evo II)

Martin:

2005 - 6º (307WRC) +4.22.2
2004 - Retired Accident (Focus WRC)
2003 - Retired Oil pressure (Focus WRC)
2002 - 4º (Focus WRC) +2.52.4

Henning Solberg:

2009 - 3º (Focus WRC) +4.04.1
2008 - Retired (Focus WRC)
2007 - 5º (Focus WRC) +4.10.1
2006 - 7º (307 WRC) +9.28.7

Ostberg:

2011 - 5º (Fiesta WRC) +5.16.8

Novikov:

2008 - Retired (Impreza WRX)

Tänak never participated

2010 winner (IRC) - Juho Hänninen (Fabia S2000) -51.0 - Nationality? Finnish (Who manage his carreer???)
2007 - 11º (Lancer Evo IX) (3º PWRC) +17.18.1 (WRC) +28.2 (PWRC)

Allyc85
14th April 2012, 18:33
you come from a country which hosts the isle of mann and has the best road racing championship of the world and you call moto gp riders crazy.... Hmmmmmm

It was a lazy example, they all need their heads checked ;) :laugh:

cali
14th April 2012, 18:41
Not suitable to drive long rallies early after such injuries. Like bluuford says, maybe 3 months.

One guy ready and available is actually Henning. Its not cause i'm a norvegian, but i feel Henning never has been given good enough equipement to show his real pace.
Nuff said, don't understand this Henning-mania in Norway. If it's going to be norwegian to replace Latvala, then surely it wouldn't be man called Henning. Mads is the favourite to the job!

bluuford
14th April 2012, 18:41
Novikov:

2008 - Retired (Impreza WRX)

Tänak never participated

2010 winner (IRC) - Juho Hänninen (Fabia S2000) -51.0 - Nationality? Finnish (Who manage his carreer???)
2007 - 11º (Lancer Evo IX) (3º PWRC) +17.18.1 (WRC) +28.2 (PWRC)

Novikov:

2008 - Retired (Impreza WRX) It was nightmare rally for him I can remember. He managed to drive only a few stages on competitive speed

Tänak never participated
He recced all stages in 2011, if I remember correctly

skarderud
14th April 2012, 20:30
Nuff said, don't understand this Henning-mania in Norway. If it's going to be norwegian to replace Latvala, then surely it wouldn't be man called Henning. Mads is the favourite to the job!

Yeah, maybe. But we have seen how fast he can be, given good and known equipement. Me, and many others, cant understand his lack of speed these last yrs, i think the deal from m-sport isnt any good deal.
But if anything in this world are making any sense, Mads is the man. But who know's how MW's pockets are thinking......

Coach 2
14th April 2012, 20:58
Yeah, maybe. But we have seen how fast he can be, given good and known equipement. Me, and many others, cant understand his lack of speed these last yrs, i think the deal from m-sport isnt any good deal.

Not to be rude, but when has anyone seen that he has the speed that is necessary, at the highest level. Especially in recent years.
Even when we go back to the year he was No. 3 in Norway, he was over 3 minutes behind the winner.

noel157
14th April 2012, 22:06
Saw this elsewhere:

Sordo imentioned again, apparently has been approached by Papa Wilson, needs permission from DR:

http://www.rallyreportnews.com.ar/

skarderud
14th April 2012, 22:40
At last before he, in my point of wiew, he had the speed. But he maybe lost it thru the years, but his speed in the s2000 showed that i still had it. But maybe s2000 suits him more? I don't think many guys is faster than him in a lancer evo6 :)
Not to be rude, but when has anyone seen that he has the speed that is necessary, at the highest level. Especially in recent years.
Even when we go back to the year he was No. 3 in Norway, he was over 3 minutes behind the winner.

But no point of that discusion, sordo is the man! Happy for him, he is fast!

pettersolberg29
15th April 2012, 00:02

As everyone has now seen or read that man is Sordo. Great choice in my opinion if they can get him - looks like it could happen, but as far as I understand their would be 'gentleman agreements' as part of the deal if it goes through.

A.F.F.
15th April 2012, 00:11
I must admit Sordo is better than I suggested. Didn't see that coming though....

Sulland
15th April 2012, 00:53
If Sordo does this stunt, then it has to be a 2013 plan behind it. If not it would be strange if Prodrive let him go. If I had been Prodrive boss, I would then not let him back into the team amd gone for Meeke for the rest of 2012.

gravelman
15th April 2012, 01:25
If Sordo does this stunt, then it has to be a 2013 plan behind it. If not it would be strange if Prodrive let him go. If I had been Prodrive boss, I would then not let him back into the team amd gone for Meeke for the rest of 2012.

That's all well and good, but the reason Sordo is there is due to the budget he brings to mini, but sadly all meeke has is talent and a video library card to his name. In a parallel universe of rallying ( the 90s) this would not matter, but as we have discussed at length in threads numbering 793 pages, now the talent to budget ratio has been flipped on it's head.

Plan9
15th April 2012, 02:51
I think the question is now that Sordo is looking good for Jari-Matti's seat, how will Dave prize him out of it again ;)

SubaruNorway
15th April 2012, 08:02

I saw it...

Henning Solberg living up to his sponsor "Go Fast" - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NtOrkw6MgHk)

Jordib
15th April 2012, 16:23
That's all well and good, but the reason Sordo is there is due to the budget he brings to mini, but sadly all meeke has is talent and a video library card to his name. In a parallel universe of rallying ( the 90s) this would not matter, but as we have discussed at length in threads numbering 793 pages, now the talent to budget ratio has been flipped on it's head.

Sordo brings budget to Mini??? Explain?

He only has personal sponsor and agreed with Prodrive to reduce his salary 70% for this year, I don't think he is bringing any budget to the team.

MikeD
15th April 2012, 17:09

With Prodrive only contesting 4 rounds more this season I think that it's "game over" for Prodrive in WRC and therefor Sordo can looks for a seat elsewhere.

Barreis
15th April 2012, 17:28
Photos du mur | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342242922503194&set=a.326646624062824.77615.326566937404126&type=1&theater)
This says Sordo is in.

driveace
15th April 2012, 17:40
Don't forget guys that Dani Sordo,is Carlos Sainz understudy !So has the approach been made via Carlos ?.And does Carlos help with Dani,s sponsorship ?

bluuford
15th April 2012, 18:14
Photos du mur | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342242922503194&set=a.326646624062824.77615.326566937404126&type=1&theater)
This says Sordo is in.

Citroen must be worried.. in terms of manufacturers points.

wrc1600
15th April 2012, 20:16
Clever move from Wilson considering that Latvala is going to VW next season Ford needs top driver replacement.

MJW
15th April 2012, 21:30
If DR/Prodrive do try and block this move as has been hinted at by some on Twitter it will a) damage Prodrive's sporting reputation, and b) if it gets legal I would be pretty sure that Sordo's legal advisors would find enough to allow the move. These include the fact that Sordo was due to be in a second year as a manufacturer driver contesting the full season. The reality is Prodrive are no longer a manufacturer entry, they arent doing a full season, and I dont consider how they have treated Sordo and Meeke as how an organisation "should" treat them. I really hope Sordo gets a break and becomes a factory Ford driver.

noel157
15th April 2012, 22:30
Somebody saying deal is done (leaving Salazar high and dry.....):

CONFIRMADO, SORDO REEAMPLAZARÁ A LATVALA EN ARGENTINA (http://www.amigosporelrally.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1629:confirmado-sordo-reeamplazara-a-latvala-en-argentina&catid=31:noticias-wrc&Itemid=46)

N.O.T
15th April 2012, 22:34
The best choice...

GINE
15th April 2012, 22:35
Great news if true. It seems the best available choose and a great chance for Sordo to prove his speed without team orders and a with a winning car. I hope he stays in ford for the rest of the season and fight for his first wrc victory( Spain maybe???) It will be a great fight with Loeb on tarmac. Sordo for sure is "hungry" to prove his speed.... A great choice for Ford, especially if Latvala has signed already with VW.

noel157
15th April 2012, 22:48
Another confirmation (almost I think, N.O.T can confirm). It mentions financial penalty? Payment I presume?:

Ο D. Sordo στη θÎ*ση του J. Latvala; ‹ ‹ 6thgear.gr6thgear.gr (http://6thgear.gr/sordo-latvala/)

N.O.T
15th April 2012, 23:09
it refers to reports according to spanish media so they do not have the info themselves...also there is a questionmark at the tiles end...

it says that Ford and sordo are in agreement and all they wait for now is Mini to allow him to drive the ford.

the financial bit refers to mini trying to find the budget to run Argentina but it is highly unlikely.

; in Greek = ? in civilised languages.

another interesting fact is the the article is signed by a greek rally driver Lefteris Sotirhos who doesn't compete anymore but a few years back was the protege of Vovos and took part in the pirelli challenge but finished 1 place from the bottom LOLZORZ...

Actually he was considered the best tarmac driver in greece

here is a video comparison of him from the pirelli star driver.

Pirelli star driver Semerad vs Sotirhos - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDkOzS5OX8)

AndyRAC
15th April 2012, 23:32
https://twitter.com/#!/DaniSordo

N.O.T
15th April 2012, 23:58
very nice...

Plan9
16th April 2012, 02:26
Also, Dani may well be the first full-time wrc driver to have driven all the new WRC cars (I understand he tested an early DS3 before he went to Prodrive).

Kielder
16th April 2012, 09:52
Also, Dani may well be the first full-time wrc driver to have driven all the new WRC cars (I understand he tested an early DS3 before he went to Prodrive).

Novikov was the first one.

Xsara Fan
16th April 2012, 10:10
Novikov was the first one.

No. He did not drive Mini. Yet ;)

dimviii
16th April 2012, 10:20
another interesting fact is the the article is signed by a greek rally driver Lefteris Sotirhos who doesn't compete anymore but a few years back was the protege of Vovos and took part in the pirelli challenge but finished 1 place from the bottom LOLZORZ...

Actually he was considered the best tarmac driver in greece

here is a video comparison of him from the pirelli star driver.

Pirelli star driver Semerad vs Sotirhos - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDkOzS5OX8)

that was under the belt and really cant think the reason....Sotirchos when rallied was spectacular,very fast in tarmac,and a very nice guy to talk when you asked him.
About the pirelli star driver,he had plenty of mechanical problems.

Kielder
16th April 2012, 10:35
No. He did not drive Mini. Yet ;)

AFAIK He drove the Mini last December in a test together with Gassner Jr and Harry Hunt.

Mirek
16th April 2012, 10:41
AFAIK He drove the Mini last December in a test together with Gassner Jr and Harry Hunt.

Xsara Fan is working for Novikov so he should know...

GigiGalliNo1
16th April 2012, 11:13
What did Dani re-tweet? No speak es spaniol

noel157
16th April 2012, 11:25
What did Dani re-tweet? No speak es spaniol

Confirmed: Dani Sordo will run the Rally Argentina with Ford

Sordo is facing a new challenge in Argentina, with Wilson as his boss.
What we announced on Saturday as a possibility has become a reality. Dani Sordo will officially be the replacement for Jari-Matti Latvala in the Rally Argentina (27-29 April) , after the Ford driver broke his shoulder last week practicing skiing as part of his training program.

This has been confirmed with sources close to the driver by AUTO hebdo SPORT . The decision will be made ​​official on Monday by the team, Ford , as announced on Friday by its chief executive, Malcolm Wilson.

N.O.T
16th April 2012, 11:43
that was under the belt and really cant think the reason....Sotirchos when rallied was spectacular,very fast in tarmac,and a very nice guy to talk when you asked him.
About the pirelli star driver,he had plenty of mechanical problems.

i do not disagree with anything of the above...but it is he usual greek story...a rally god in greece surounded by yes men.. but when things get real and a chance arises to move forward everyone is at fault apart from the driver...

Maybe in this coutry if we start to see at the things we do wrong in this sport (and in general) instead of searching for excuses outside the borders we might progress...but i am sure we won;t.

He is great guy to talk to i am sure of that... the fact that someone cannot make it outside of greece doesn 't mean he is a bad person.

Nothing against greek rally drivers but unfortunatelly they are nothing more than drivers with very good memory (if you know what i mean) and this shows on every opportunity.

if you want more on this discussion lets do it on pm because it is off topic.

leighton323
16th April 2012, 12:03

I believe it was only a S2000 model? Could be wrong though, not sure how trusted this source is?

Jovenes pilotos prueban el Mini WRC (http://www.latulasport.es/index.php/mundial/wrc/2874-jovenes-pilotos-prueban-el-mini-wrc.html)

16th April 2012, 12:23
http://i40.tinypic.com/2upqmh2.jpg

RS
16th April 2012, 13:31
This will a good audition for next year for Dani as I guess he won't want to be staying at Prodrive.

Kielder
16th April 2012, 14:45
I believe it was only a S2000 model? Could be wrong though, not sure how trusted this source is?

Jovenes pilotos prueban el Mini WRC (http://www.latulasport.es/index.php/mundial/wrc/2874-jovenes-pilotos-prueban-el-mini-wrc.html)

That is one of the worst Spanish rally webs, but it was published in many other ones.
I read the information last year (I can't remembre where) and I supposed it was true.
https://www.google.es/#q=hunt+gassner+jr+novikov+mini+wrc&hl=es&prmd=imvns&psj=1&ei=KCGMT7yIHMSm0QXY_cDFCQ&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2c583a1a1d49bad8&biw=1280&bih=643

Xsara Fan
16th April 2012, 16:00

No. There was no sense for it. Mini wants more money(!) than M-Sport.

skarderud
16th April 2012, 16:09
Just out of couriosity, when was last time it wasn't any finns in a Ford in wrc? :)

Maxi
16th April 2012, 16:21
Just out of couriosity, when was last time it wasn't any finns in a Ford in wrc? :)

I think when McRae was in ford.

Gregor-y
16th April 2012, 16:32
Maybe Prodrive is 'renting' Sordo for extra cash.

jcatanho
16th April 2012, 16:33

I believe it was Japan 2004.

That year Ford nominated pilots were Martin and Duval in most events. Tuohino was nominated in Sweden and Finland but he also did Wales.
So the last rally without a Finn in a Ford WRC was Japan 2004. The last rally without a Finn nominated to score points for Ford was Wales 2004.

Kielder
16th April 2012, 16:48
No. There was no sense for it. Mini wants more money(!) than M-Sport.

Yes, I know that is what is said. News about that "phantom test" said that the reason of doing it for Novikov was seeing by himself how fast the Mini could be, before choosing a car for this season. I don't what private Mini drivers get from Prodrive, but there are many of them. If the reason for competing with a car were only the money, everyone would drive the cheaper one.
In the future I'll trust in your word, someone gave the wrong information to the original source from where everyone copied.

Back to topic, finally there won't be today an official announcement about the chosen driver for replacing Latvala.

Xsara Fan
16th April 2012, 17:05
Yes, I know that is what is said. News about that "phantom test" said that the reason of doing it for Novikov was seeing by himself how fast the Mini could be, before choosing a car for this season. I don't what private Mini drivers get from Prodrive, but there are many of them. If the reason for competing with a car were only the money, everyone would drive the cheaper one.
In the future I'll trust in your word, someone gave the wrong information to the original source from where everyone copied.

Back to topic, finally there won't be today an official announcement about the chosen driver for replacing Latvala.

I don`t know why drivers work with Mini. Factory Minis are in the same pace as private Fords. Private Minis are slow with any driver... And also their price is higher. I don`t understand.

JAM
16th April 2012, 17:12
I don`t know why drivers work with Mini. Factory Minis are in the same pace as private Fords. Private Minis are slow with any driver... And also their price is higher. I don`t understand.

Patrik Sandell talked about 150.000 Euros to do the swedish rally with the Mini.

Is 150.000E expensive? :confused:

Barreis
16th April 2012, 17:18
That's with his and codriver's salary.

dimviii
16th April 2012, 18:04
Patrik Sandell talked about 150.000 Euros to do the swedish rally with the Mini.

Is 150.000E expensive? :confused:
Athanasoulas Fiesta for Acropolis was 110.000 euro if i remember correct.

A FONDO
16th April 2012, 18:56
World Rally Championship - News - Features - Q&A: Lambros Athanassoulas (http://www.wrc.com/news/features/qa-lambros-athanassoulas/?fid=14854&page=5231)

dimviii
16th April 2012, 19:02
World Rally Championship - News - Features - Q&A: Lambros Athanassoulas (http://www.wrc.com/news/features/qa-lambros-athanassoulas/?fid=14854&page=5231)

Thanks Slowson!So about 140,000 euros like mini.We just have to think that maybe now prices will be less due to more cars available for rent from other teams.

cali
16th April 2012, 19:02
Good move by Wilson, Sordo is very fast and reliable. On par with Hirvonen.

noel157
16th April 2012, 19:04
Yep, good move but Sordo is perhaps faster than Hirvonen.

JAM
16th April 2012, 19:04

So 140.000 without testing.

The 150.000 from Sandell was with a full day testing in sweden.

noel157
16th April 2012, 19:09
Thanks Slowson!So about 140,000 euros like mini.We just have to think that maybe now prices will be less due to more cars available for rent from other teams.

So arrive and drive price €150k for one European event, extra for testing. Think last year Sordo was talking €1m for 10 or so European events in the Fiesta.
So buy in bulk...........

Kielder
16th April 2012, 19:28

If it becomes true, it's a good opportunity for Sordo, but IMO he is slower than Mikko, much more on gravel with a car without experience.
If he didn't win a rally with the C4 in his many starts, it's impossible a win in Argentina with the Fiesta. But as I wrote, it would be a good opportunity for his future, mainly if the "tale" Latvala & VW were true.

JAM
16th April 2012, 19:44
If he didn't win a rally with the C4 in his many starts, it's impossible a win in Argentina with the Fiesta.

It's a wrong perspective. Sordo was always limited at Citroen. Loeb was the number 1 and Sordo was the number 2.

MJW
16th April 2012, 19:53
It's a wrong perspective. Sordo was always limited at Citroen. Loeb was the number 1 and Sordo was the number 2.
Very true, Sordo was clearly second driver at Citroen, so was Ogier supposed to be but he didn't follow the script. Don't underestimate Sordo and his gravel capabilities, I hope he gets to prove what he can do on asphalt as well in Fiesta WRC

Kielder
16th April 2012, 19:58

Ogier was also number 2 when last season started and he won rallies. Even more, he won Portugal before driving the official car. Sordo was limited by Citroen only in a few rallies. He would be the perfect teammate for Latvala, not for Solberg.
But let's wait for an official announcement.

cali
16th April 2012, 20:00
Sordo's speed in a Mini has been impressive in present, Citroen days are history and people can evolve.

N.O.T
16th April 2012, 20:08

they started equal... Citroens policy was that all drivers start equal but whoever gets a safe lead in points becomes the No1... that No1-No2 was just propaganda from the bitter losers... Ogiers wins early in the season proved that last year.

Kielder
16th April 2012, 20:23
Sordo's speed in a Mini has been impressive in present, Citroen days are history and people can evolve.

On tarmac, as always. Portugal was a mirage due to start order. Sordo got his second positions on gravel for several reasons (in a similar way as the Ostberg's win in Portugal), having never the speed of the winner. To evolve is what Ogier did last year.

cali
16th April 2012, 20:33
On tarmac, as always. Portugal was a mirage due to start order. Sordo got his second positions on gravel for several reasons (in a similar way as the Ostberg's win in Portugal), having never the speed of the winner. Evolving is what Ogier did last year.
Maybe not the winner on all surfaces, but is very competitive everywhere - even in Sweden which is event for specialist drivers (nordic). And you can't beat others by minute if you're slow, even if you have good road position. Sordo has evolved and I'm sure he will show it in Argentina. Very underrated driver, but Wilson did a good move. Hopefully he will be in works team next year. Ogier is fast, but has too many accidents on his belt. Or maybe I'm mistaken and Mini is really that good.

Barreis
16th April 2012, 20:38
So arrive and drive price €150k for one European event, extra for testing. Think last year Sordo was talking €1m for 10 or so European events in the Fiesta.
So buy in bulk...........

Must be crazy to give all that money in low profile sport.

Fide
16th April 2012, 21:22

Sordo driving on gravel is a fake.... He will be ever a good 2nd driver and never a good 1st driver....

Crocone
16th April 2012, 21:43
they started equal... Citroens policy was that all drivers start equal but whoever gets a safe lead in points becomes the No1... that No1-No2 was just propaganda from the bitter losers... Ogiers wins early in the season proved that last year.

You're right. They were equal. At least until Loeb started to flirt with Volkswaggen and blackmailing Citroen with leaving the team if he will not be no. 1.

GINE
16th April 2012, 22:16
To N.O.T: Sotirhos is a very fast driver in tarmac, faster than most of the pirelli drivers in Tarmac. His disadvantage was that he has no experience in gravel. Having good memory is good. What is best is to write good pace notes and trust them. Don't be so critical about Greek drivers..

GINE
16th April 2012, 22:20
Don't compare just the price, if you don't know the accident excess and-or the pre event test. It can go from 120 to 190 depending on those parameters

N.O.T
16th April 2012, 22:34
Don't be so critical about Greek drivers..

It is very hard not to... from as long as i remember every greek "rally driver" and their grandmother has the potential to become world class but somehow they all have failed...and it is not because they lack skills but due to some magical unexplained force.

GINE
16th April 2012, 22:40
To become a world class driver you need a lot of money, time and it is easier if you are Finnish or French. Being Greek is very difficult. But please don't be so cruel. It is easier to criticise as a spectator than to be in a car and try to be fast. Don't underestimate the effort of a lot of drivers. Greek or nonGreek...

N.O.T
16th April 2012, 23:02
To become a world class driver you need a lot of money, time and it is easier if you are Finnish or French. Being Greek is very difficult. But please don't be so cruel. It is easier to criticise as a spectator than to be in a car and try to be fast. Don't underestimate the effort of a lot of drivers. Greek or nonGreek...

I do not think that money is the main problem... neither is time.

Nobody said it is easy to be fast, it needs very hard work, dedication and be at the right place in the right time....but so does everything in life to be successful... rally driving is no different than the other sports or even professions.

When you are exposed to public in any way and weather the people you are exposed to are 10 or 100000000... critisism is inevitable when someone does something better than you or you do something better than the rest...

Nobody asked to have a WRC manufacturer driver... but to have a good representative in IRC or even in ERC is a very realistic target...but in Greece we prefer to be champions in everything we do only in words and in the relative media.

tfp
16th April 2012, 23:15
You're right. They were equal. At least until Loeb started to flirt with Volkswaggen and blackmailing Citroen with leaving the team if he will not be no. 1.

It was Quesnel that gave them equal status. I often wonder if Loebs new contract one of the requirements to him staying was that Quesnel had to leave, it was funny how he left at the end of the season!

tfp
16th April 2012, 23:16
Back on topic, I havent been following the news much today, MW said they would announce who the new driver was today, has anything came of it?

Barreis
16th April 2012, 23:21
Must say I'm glad there's no more Quesnel and his voice around.

JAM
17th April 2012, 01:30
Ogier was also number 2 when last season started and he won rallies. Even more, he won Portugal before driving the official car.

Daniel Sordo was never authorized to fight Loeb directly, as Ogier was in Portugal 2010 when won for the first time.

Besides that, at Citroen Sordo was always a slow driver in gravel, and with Mini he was not slow on gravel.

There are a lot of things that could be explained, and maybe one day will be. Until then, Sordo will prove his real value as probably never was authorized to do it at Citroen.

N.O.T
17th April 2012, 01:58
Daniel Sordo was never authorized to fight Loeb directly, as Ogier was in Portugal 2010 when won for the first time.

Besides that, at Citroen Sordo was always a slow driver in gravel, and with Mini he was not slow on gravel.

There are a lot of things that could be explained, and maybe one day will be. Until then, Sordo will prove his real value as probably never was authorized to do it at Citroen.

nonsense... Ogier won last year and was allowed to win while the battle for the championship was close.

And why sordo is going to be allowed to show real pace in the ford ??? Solberg is now No1 for sure so if sordo is quicker he will definately be asked to slow down.

janvanvurpa
17th April 2012, 02:05
Back on topic, I havent been following the news much today, MW said they would announce who the new driver was today, has anything came of it?

Well I have been waiting by the phone and it hasn't rung yet, but as much as I would like to drive the Fiesta in Argentina if he calls I have to say no since I just got out of hospital and am covered in bloody bandages and full of drugs---but I am lighter than before I went in. Who needs appendix any way?

17th April 2012, 03:07

FordWRC fb page said they were announcing today and that was a couple hours away, so shouldn't be too long now :)

Edit - The fb page said they aren't announcing today, helps when you read the whole post!

Rallyper
17th April 2012, 03:30
Well I have been waiting by the phone and it hasn't rung yet, but as much as I would like to drive the Fiesta in Argentina if he calls I have to say no since I just got out of hospital and am covered in bloody bandages and full of drugs---but I am lighter than before I went in. Who needs appendix any way?

John/ Hope you have a fast recovery and be back asap in your garage.

EuroTroll
17th April 2012, 06:56
John/ Hope you have a fast recovery and be back asap in your garage.

+1 :up:

Kielder
17th April 2012, 09:12
The deal Sordo-Ford has been signed. The announcement is a question of hours.

Edit: Press says that he is on his way to UK for 3 days of testing with the Ford Fiesta WRC prior to Argentina, but this is not official (Wilson says that they're very expensive).

JAM
17th April 2012, 10:16
nonsense... Ogier won last year and was allowed to win while the battle for the championship was close.

Why nonsense? Ogier was allowed to do it, but Sordo wasn't. Catalunia 2007 was a good example.

Salist
17th April 2012, 10:25
According to Autosport.com Dani Sordo will be replace Latvala in Argentina.
Source: Dani Sordo set to stand in for injured Jari-Matti Latvala in Ford World Rally line-up - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98924)

JAM
17th April 2012, 10:39
Source: Dani Sordo set to stand in for injured Jari-Matti Latvala in Ford World Rally line-up - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98924)

Autosport.com is late, because some hours before we all knew that Sordo was in line to replace Latvala.

Kielder
17th April 2012, 10:40

Sordo doesn't run his twitter account, the other information is OK. Prodrive's permission was the last point of the agreement. Now they're finishing the documents needed.
"Sordo was unavailable for comment, but has re-tweeted a website story confirming his deal with Ford".

Kielder
17th April 2012, 10:53
Autosport.com is late, because some hours before we all knew that Sordo was in line to replace Latvala.

They're not late, they're secure. Many Spanish sources published that everything was done when many things were only rumours (they know which of them are reliable). Sordo obtained Prodrive's permission this morning, they delayed the agreement to get more money for "lending" his driver.

Barreis
17th April 2012, 10:56
Not true. :D

Nornbugger
17th April 2012, 10:58
Why nonsense? Ogier was allowed to do it, but Sordo wasn't. Catalunia 2007 was a good example.

Catalunia 07 is a good example of what any team would do when they have a driver in a close fight for a championship.

Sordo had chances, Loeb didnt win every rally when they were together, Dani won none, I expect Citroen would have had no problem with Sordo winning a few when Loeb had problems but he doesnt have rally winning pace on gravel and Loeb had an incredible run on tar during the years they were together

Kielder
17th April 2012, 11:01
Not true. http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

What is not true?

Hartusvuori
17th April 2012, 11:36
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/526753_3700812284684_1406751981_3453257_1298326589 _n.jpg

Latvala gave an interview for Finnish broadcasting company YLE yesterday:

Nordic skiing is part of his normal practise. At the end of 18 km route there was a sudden full-stop.

"I was at the last downhill coming to the cabin when something hit the ski. There was something I didn't notice, because it had been snowing", Latvala says.

"You could compare the stop to running your bike into pavement and flying over the steering. I flew straight ahead and everything landed on the shoulder."

Latvala says that the severity of the damage came clear soon.

"At the moment I tried to get up, I realised it was not good. The pain was immense. I've never felt such pain before", Latvala describes.

"The collar bone shattered into two pieces, and it was pressing the nerve at the neck. I almost lost consciousness while trying to get up."

Latvala hiihto-onnettomuudestaan: "Meinasi taju lähteä" | Ralli | Moottoriurheilu | YLE Urheilu | yle.fi (http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/moottoriurheilu/ralli/2012/04/latvala_hiihto-onnettomuudestaan_quotmeinasi_taju_lahteaquot_3409 940.html)

JAM
17th April 2012, 11:37
They're not late, they're secure. Many Spanish sources published that everything was done when many things were only rumours (they know which of them are reliable). Sordo obtained Prodrive's permission this morning, they delayed the agreement to get more money for "lending" his driver.

To be "in line" is not the same as to be "confirmed". Sordo is not yet confirmed.

Sordo is "in line" since before yesterday.

JAM
17th April 2012, 11:48
Catalunia 07 is a good example of what any team would do when they have a driver in a close fight for a championship.

Yes, like Germany 2011. The second driver beats the num 1 that is fighting for the championship.

The diference? A french one was authorized to challenge Loeb, four years later a Spanish one was not athorized.

Is interesting as you try to use the interest of the team as argument to explain the obvious. Ogier had the oportunities that Sordo never had.

But Sordo will prove the he is much better driver than what Citroen let him to be.

Nornbugger
17th April 2012, 12:58
Yes, like Germany 2011. The second driver beats the num 1 that is fighting for the championship.

The diference? A french one was authorized to challenge Loeb, four years later a Spanish one was not athorized.

Is interesting as you try to use the interest of the team as argument to explain the obvious. Ogier had the oportunities that Sordo never had.

But Sordo will prove the he is much better driver than what Citroen let him to be.

It is interesting to me that in the 58 events that sordo was number 2 to Loeb, Loeb won 33 events, Dani won none, he is an excellent tar driver, but he had chances to win on gravel with Citroen and never delivered.

jcatanho
17th April 2012, 13:24

During the four years in which Sordo was Citroen's Pilot (2007-2010) there was 41 non tarmac rallyes. Only in 6 of those rallyes Sordo was able to finish right after Loeb. If the difference in results between Loeb and Sordo were mainly due to team's orders I would expect that Sordo would finish a lot of rallyes right after Loeb. Not 2 or more positions down!
In tarmac he is very fast. If it was'nt for Loeb he could have done in the last years the same thing Panizzi did between 2000 and 2003, ie, beeing the fastest tarmac rally driver on earth!

Currently Sordo is one of the best drivers. In Portugal he was amazingly fast in gravel. Perhaps he improved, perhaps Mini 01b is much better, perhaps it was due to road position. Probably a combination of those 3 factors.

I am hoping to see Sordo winning a rally very soon but he was never as fast as Loeb in non tramac rallyes. And in tarmac he was closer to Loeb than any other driver but only sometimes he was on pace with Loeb.

grugsticles
17th April 2012, 13:28
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/526753_3700812284684_1406751981_3453257_1298326589 _n.jpg

Latvala gave an interview for Finnish broadcasting company YLE yesterday:

Nordic skiing is part of his normal practise. At the end of 18 km route there was a sudden full-stop.

"I was at the last downhill coming to the cabin when something hit the ski. There was something I didn't notice, because it had been snowing", Latvala says.

"You could compare the stop to running your bike into pavement and flying over the steering. I flew straight ahead and everything landed on the shoulder."

Latvala says that the severity of the damage came clear soon.

"At the moment I tried to get up, I realised it was not good. The pain was immense. I've never felt such pain before", Latvala describes.

"The collar bone shattered into two pieces, and it was pressing the nerve at the neck. I almost lost consciousness while trying to get up."
Latvala hiihto-onnettomuudestaan: "Meinasi taju lähteä" | Ralli | Moottoriurheilu | YLE Urheilu | yle.fi (http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/moottoriurheilu/ralli/2012/04/latvala_hiihto-onnettomuudestaan_quotmeinasi_taju_lahteaquot_3409 940.html)

Im not sure how JML is feeling right now, but if her was up to it surly he could drive one handed?
Im sure M-Sport could rig up some form of push button contraption for shifting gears and handbrake. They did a similar thing when McRae broke his finger, although this is obviously more severe.

rallyfiend
17th April 2012, 13:56
The problem would not be the skill of driving - it would be the very direct pressure on that area by the mandatory harness and HANS device. there's no way around that no matter how good an engineer you are.

JAM
17th April 2012, 14:14
Perhaps he improved,

IMO is a bit strange that a driver can't improve during 5 years doing WRC gravel rallyes and testing with the best WRC team, and in only one year is able to improve dramaticaly his gravel skills.

JAM
17th April 2012, 14:16
Im not sure how JML is feeling right now, but if her was up to it surly he could drive one handed?

With the seat belt and Hans pressing the shoulder, is impossible to drive a rallycar on that situation.

dimviii
17th April 2012, 14:20
IMO is a bit strange that a driver can't improve during 5 years doing WRC gravel rallyes and testing with the best WRC team, and in only one year is able to improve dramaticaly his gravel skills.

where did you see the improved gravel skills? When Loeb is out,Mikko cruising with 5th stage times,Latvala f@cked at all,and Ogier with s2000?
Get real guys,Argentina is close....

dimviii
17th April 2012, 14:22

So Sordo with Ogier equal in terms of speed,just citroen didn t allowed him to win cause his nationality........

Barreis
17th April 2012, 14:30
Ogier is much quicker but also crash prone.

JAM
17th April 2012, 15:15
where did you see the improved gravel skills? When Loeb is out,Mikko cruising with 5th stage times,Latvala f@cked at all,and Ogier with s2000?
Get real guys,Argentina is close....

Loeb was out in Sweden? Miko 5th?

Get real dimviii! On the first 97km of the swedish rally, Sordo was losing 25s to Hirvonen and Latvala, and 20s to Loeb. With a car that is as good as a average Fiesta WRC (as someone said) it was really good.

But if you remember the 2010 swedish rally, Sordo was in charge beating Loeb in somes stages on the first day. Sudenly on the 2nd day Sordo said that has no confidence on the car... strange. The low temps during the night must have changed the set-up of the C4 n. 2...

JAM
17th April 2012, 15:17
So Sordo with Ogier equal in terms of speed,just citroen didn t allowed him to win cause his nationality........

Your words, not mine.

N.O.T
17th April 2012, 15:41
Sebastien Loeb : Creating inferiority syndrome since 2004....

LOLz....

dimviii
17th April 2012, 15:48
Loeb was out in Sweden? Miko 5th?

YOU talked about gravel.Now you are talking about Sweden.

Get real dimviii! On the first 97km of the swedish rally, Sordo was losing 25s to Hirvonen and Latvala, and 20s to Loeb. With a car that is as good as a average Fiesta WRC (as someone said) it was really good.
And this is an improovement? After 6 stages he was 6th well behind all factory crews and 5 sec in front of Novikov.25 secs at 6 stages= 2 minutes at whole rally.

But if you remember the 2010 swedish rally, Sordo was in charge beating Loeb in somes stages on the first day. Sudenly on the 2nd day Sordo said that has no confidence on the car... strange. The low temps during the night must have changed the set-up of the C4 n. 2...

He was faster from Loeb at 2 stages,and Loeb was faster at all the other stages.End of day 1 Loeb was faster.They sabotage his car while Mikko was 1st?lolololololol and Jari 4th?(2nd Loeb,3rd Dani)lolololololol
Problems with their set ups had Mikko,Jarri,Ogier at most of rallies last years.Did Ford sabotage their cars also?lololololol

dimviii
17th April 2012, 15:52
Your words, not mine.

read again what you wrote....

or somebody sabotage your account?

Crocone
17th April 2012, 15:57

I understand what you are trying to prove. But on that rally (Catalunya 2007) Loeb was closely fighting with Gronholm for the championship and he needed to win the rally.

Priorat
17th April 2012, 16:55

Seems that Jari-Matti has the same problem on the stages and the ski slopes. I'm afraid that a stone was on his way, broke his ski and caused an accident.

Hartusvuori
17th April 2012, 17:01
Seems that Jari-Matti has the same problem on the stages and the ski slopes. I'm afraid that a stone was on his way, broke his ski and caused an accident.

I had similar feeling once I heard his explanation. For correction however, it didn't happen at ski slopes, but while (Nordic) skiing, at ski trail.

JAM
17th April 2012, 17:04
YOU talked about gravel.Now you are talking about Sweden.

I'm talking in everything except the tarmac where usualy people see Sordo as a fast driver. Gravel, snow, mud, stones, water, sand...

And this is an improovement? After 6 stages he was 6th well behind all factory crews and 5 sec in front of Novikov.25 secs at 6 stages= 2 minutes at whole rally.

Well, if you read my entire post you'll find that i mentioned that Sordo was driving a Mini. And as you know, the first Mini evolution was not like works DS3 and Fiesta's.

But also i must remember you that 25s in 97km, means 1m30s at the end of the rally, that is diferent from 2 minuts. Is the diference between be jut behing a works Fiesta (Solberg), or just in front of a private Fiesta (Novikov).

To lose 1m30s in second level car in a kind of surface where a driver is not a specialist, is very good.

He was faster from Loeb at 2 stages,and Loeb was faster at all the other stages.End of day 1 Loeb was faster.They sabotage his car while Mikko was 1st?lolololololol and Jari 4th?(2nd Loeb,3rd Dani)lolololololol
Problems with their set ups had Mikko,Jarri,Ogier at most of rallies last years.Did Ford sabotage their cars also?lololololol

Faster only in two stages is bad, but ending the first day just 4.2sec behind Loeb is worst. Ok, i inderstand you, really. And this was the guy that is fast only in tarmac, right? Snow is different from tarmac... even if tarmac is wet :D

JAM
17th April 2012, 17:20
I understand what you are trying to prove. But on that rally (Catalunya 2007) Loeb was closely fighting with Gronholm for the championship and he needed to win the rally.

Yes, you're right. But the important is that Sordo was able to challenge Loeb while Loeb was still attacking.

But we can look at Ireland in 2007. Again challenged Loeb on the beggining, then lost confidence on the car. Is interesting how Sordo lose confidence every second legs after challenging Loeb :D

At least this don't happen at prodrive.

jcatanho
17th April 2012, 17:27

Yes it is a bit surprising. That's why I wrote that perhaps he improved

Let's wait for other gravel rallyes to see if he really improved and how much. Like someone said, in Portugal Loeb was out, Latvala had a lot of problems and Hirvonen was cruising.

Or perhaps he did not improve that much but the Mini did. We really don't know how good is the Mini. It is hard to compare because all the others Mini drivers are not in the same league as the 6 top guys (Loeb,Latvala,Ogier,Hirvonen,Solberg and Sordo).

JAM
17th April 2012, 17:39
Yes it is a bit surprising. That's why I wrote that perhaps he improved

Let's wait for other gravel rallyes to see if he really improved and how much. Like someone said, in Portugal Loeb was out, Latvala had a lot of problems and Hirvonen was cruising.

Or perhaps he did not improve that much but the Mini did. We really don't know how good is the Mini. It is hard to compare because all the others Mini drivers are not in the same league as the 6 top guys (Loeb,Latvala,Ogier,Hirvonen,Solberg and Sordo).

I'm not trying to prove that Sordo is better than Loeb, neither equal. Loeb is Loeb and is closest to perfection. Period!

But Sordo is not as slow as it showed at Citroen. There were a lot of issues at citroen that had negative impact oh his perfomance. That's my point.

But of course i'm curious about how much time he will lose to Solberg in Argentina.

And another interesting thing is to know how Ford will manage the rally without Latvala. Will Solberg be able to finally work as he wishes? Will Sordo have freedom to work on the car? Interesting and important issues.

Barreis
17th April 2012, 18:27
The best Hirvonen's year was 2004, proven winner. :D

dimviii
17th April 2012, 20:40
I'm talking in everything except the tarmac where usualy people see Sordo as a fast driver. Gravel, snow, mud, stones, water, sand...
so next time write it,because you mention only gravel.Doesnt change the result,but to be precise.

Well, if you read my entire post you'll find that i mentioned that Sordo was driving a Mini. And as you know, the first Mini evolution was not like works DS3 and Fiesta's.

But also i must remember you that 25s in 97km, means 1m30s at the end of the rally, that is diferent from 2 minuts. Is the diference between be jut behing a works Fiesta (Solberg), or just in front of a private Fiesta (Novikov).

To lose 1m30s in second level car in a kind of surface where a driver is not a specialist, is very good.

is a lot because with your estimation Sordo would be just 15 seconds, after 3 days, in front of the privateer Novikov.With that speed you are not near Loeb.You are closer to Novikov and far of Loeb.
Except that if you want to proove how fast is Sordo,you haven t got to choose the rally was more near to Loeb.I can choose more than 20 rallies with the difference already from 1 st day to be more than 1 or 2 minutes.

Faster only in two stages is bad, but ending the first day just 4.2sec behind Loeb is worst. Ok, i inderstand you, really. And this was the guy that is fast only in tarmac, right? Snow is different from tarmac... even if tarmac is wet :D

Even Loeb is not snow specialist,so....

dimviii
17th April 2012, 20:42
I'm not trying to prove that Sordo is better than Loeb, neither equal. Loeb is Loeb and is closest to perfection. Period!

But Sordo is not as slow as it showed at Citroen. There were a lot of issues at citroen that had negative impact oh his perfomance. That's my point.

But of course i'm curious about how much time he will lose to Solberg in Argentina.

And another interesting thing is to know how Ford will manage the rally without Latvala. Will Solberg be able to finally work as he wishes? Will Sordo have freedom to work on the car? Interesting and important issues.

no setup sabotage? you forgot it.

dimviii
17th April 2012, 20:45
Yes, you're right. But the important is that Sordo was able to challenge Loeb while Loeb was still attacking.

But we can look at Ireland in 2007. Again challenged Loeb on the beggining, then lost confidence on the car. Is interesting how Sordo lose confidence every second legs after challenging Loeb :D

At least this don't happen at prodrive.

Latvala and Mikko last year ''lost confidence'' at almost all rallies.When difference was big enough,suddenly their setup was ok......Can you explained it? Who sabotaged their cars?This year again for Solberg at some rallies.

janvanvurpa
17th April 2012, 21:10
+1 :up:
Thanks boys, kind words make the pain that Ford didn't call a bit less . Oddly no newspaper has come and taken photos of my scar but I can assure you that it would be right where the harness would sit so for once in life I am exactly same situation as Ford works driver.

Surprisingly easy to break collarbone (done it---of course) and surprisingly painful too (but I got up and found the bike somewhere in the grass and mud and kicked it and drove off---THEN noticed I was seeing double)... The 'over the front" crash like Latvala described is always clumsy and often something breaks even at slow speeds like ski or bicycle... really a shame. Had he done this just a little earlier he could have been fit enough, it isn't that serious if treated and he had it treated and he's not some fat old man, he looks reasonably fit and he is a Finn after all.

wooo feeling dingy, time for my cure-all: a cuppa hot tea.

Kielder
17th April 2012, 22:51
Second delay in the announcement of Sordo. I imagine the negotiation during these last days like a poker hand between Richards (still the chief for money stuff) and Wilson.

vkangas
17th April 2012, 23:48
Second delay in the announcement of Sordo. I imagine the negotiation during these last days like a poker hand between Richards (still the chief for money stuff) and Wilson.
Not a delay by my understanding. I remember Malcom saying that this week's monday was the earliest possible announcement date.

Kielder
18th April 2012, 00:18
It seems that the other teams entered must accept the driver change.
Edit: There'll be also another change in the entry list, because Sordo's co-driver was in it with Salazar. The new co-driver for Salazar is Martí, as we all know ex-Sordo, ex-Sainz and many others.

JAM
18th April 2012, 00:42
is a lot because with your estimation Sordo would be just 15 seconds, after 3 days, in front of the privateer Novikov.With that speed you are not near Loeb.You are closer to Novikov and far of Loeb.
Except that if you want to proove how fast is Sordo,you haven t got to choose the rally was more near to Loeb.I can choose more than 20 rallies with the difference already from 1 st day to be more than 1 or 2 minutes.

if in 97km he lost 25 secs, than teorically in 340km would lose about 90 seconds. In my country, 90 seconds is the same as 1m30s. In my country and using our unit measures, 1m30s is closest of 1m14s (Solberg) than 2m41s (Novikov). Pure maths. But as i said, this is in my country, and here we are a litle but confused with the presence of the Troika from de FMI/UE :D

Even Loeb is not snow specialist,so....

Yes, that's why he never won a snow rally, right? :D

no setup sabotage? you forgot it.

Without "setup sabotage" he was not as good as Loeb, but was close. With "setup sabotage" he was far from Loeb. It's simple!

Latvala and Mikko last year ''lost confidence'' at almost all rallies.When difference was big enough,suddenly their setup was ok......Can you explained it?

Yes i can. They were not driving a works Citroen.

Rallyper
18th April 2012, 04:00
Back to topic, please. This is not where to be decided who´s best of Ogier or Sordo!

janvanvurpa
18th April 2012, 07:03
Back to topic, please. This is not where to be decided who´s best of Ogier or Sordo!

Right you back on topic:
Satans hora den djavla engesman Vill-icke-sson har forfarande inte ringt.....Vituuuun!!!!

As Per can affirm, I politely mentioned that I curiously have still not received the call to pack for Argentina..

More snooze at 0800

A.F.F.
18th April 2012, 09:11
Vittu with a double T John. Now back to the topic :)

18th April 2012, 09:33
Looking even more official now - Sordo in a Fiesta in Argentina - Sordo with Ford in Argentina | Best of Rally Live (http://www.best-of-rallylive.com/en/2012/04/17/sordo-with-ford-in-argentina/)

JAM
18th April 2012, 09:51

You're wrong. I'm not discussing if Sordo is better than Ogier. It's not my point.

I'm trying to show how good is the guy that probably will replace Jari-Matti Latvala in Argentina.

But i understand you.

Let's then discuss. Let's talk about...

N.O.T
18th April 2012, 10:20
I'm trying to show how good is the guy that probably will replace Jari-Matti Latvala in Argentina.

I do not think that there is doubt that Sordo is a top rally driver... unfortunatelly his gravel skills never managed to evolve to match his tarmac skills.

Certainly the best choice for Ford for Argentina.

But the misconception that Citroen did everything they could to stop the driver from dethroning Loeb is star trek universe stuff... In Citroen team team orders are applied as in any other team when a driver has a comfortable lead in the championship.

And to stay on topic the comparison between Sordo and Solberg is going to be very interesting.

RobertS
18th April 2012, 10:28

Some guys are learning very slowly. Or can not learn. It is not so unique in WRC, but very expensive to run them for nothing for many years :)

Check Latvala's 'tarmac-history', he is doing full-seasons from 2004(2005?)

The basic problem with the WRC: too many 'gravel-boys' in work's cars, for long-long years without progress on tarmac, while the main threat is a complex guy, who is fast on every surface.

Here is the time to forget these gravel-only-drivers :)

euskalteam
18th April 2012, 10:38
Gerard Quinn confirms on his twitter, that Sordo will replace Latvala in Argentina.

Marc Martí will co-drive Salazar in his Mini instead of Carlos del Barrio.

makinen_fan
18th April 2012, 10:42
From Prodrive facebook account

The Ford World Rally Team is confirming this morning that Dani Sordo will replace the injured Jari-Matti Latvala in the Fiesta WRC at the next round of the World Rally Championship in Argentina next week. Latvala was forced to withdraw after breaking his left collarbone in a cross-country ski-ing accident while training in northern Finland last week. We have given permission for Dani to compete in the Ford in order to help M-Sport out of this difficult situation and to give fans the chance to see Dani in action once more. It will of course give Dani more valuable competitive driving time as he prepares for his IRC round in Corsica next month in the Drive-Pro MINI S2000 and then the Prodrive WRC Team’s next event in New Zealand in June. Carlos del Barrio was originally due to co-drive Eliseo Salazar in Argentina in his debut in the MINI WRC; Marc Marti will now take his place (subject to FIA approval). Dani Sordo said: “I am really excited about going to Argentina. When you are a rally driver all you want to do is to compete, so I am really happy that Prodrive has given me the chance to drive the Ford. I was second the last time I competed in Argentina, but as I will be learning a new car, it will be difficult to repeat this.” Ford World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson said: “We’re fortunate to have a driver of Dani’s calibre to join us. His experience at Rally Argentina was a key factor in the decision, having started the rally five times and finishing second in 2009. The agreement is for one rally only, and I would like to thank the management of Dani’s current team [Prodrive], who were extremely gracious in helping us in such challenging circumstances.” Dani and Carlos will join regular pairing Petter Solberg and Chris Patterson for the four-day Rally Argentina, which will be based in Carlos Paz on 26 - 29 April. As we did not wish to profit from Ford’s misfortune, Prodrive is not taking any fee for Dani and Carlos, but we have proposed that M Sport makes significant donations to various nominated charities.

makinen_fan
18th April 2012, 10:44
also on M-sport website

Ford recruits Sordo to replace injured Latvala at Rally Argentina (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/1037-ford-recruits-sordo-to-replace-injured-latvala-at-rally-argentina)