PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Road Racing

Yin Yang
11th April 2012, 22:52
I know that, for the time being, NASCAR is stubbornly unwilling to induct more road races to their series. I know NASCAR was born and bred on an oval, but I think maybe a subdivision of NASCAR could be a feasible thing to do for the sport. I never watch NASCAR except for road races, and I find them quite fascinating. I think it would be good for the sport and good for NASCAR, actually, because it could bring more fans to the name of NASCAR that maybe will bud an interest in oval racing, too.

So what do you think? Should NASCAR, as a series now, induct more road races into Sprint Cup (or Nationwide), and maybe include one (or two) in the chase? Feel free to share your knowledge of tracks and racing.

:D

Lee Roy
12th April 2012, 03:07
I know that, for the time being, NASCAR is stubbornly unwilling to induct more road races to their series.

How do you know that they're "stubbornly unwilling"?

slorydn1
12th April 2012, 03:37
I would like to see some more road courses on the schedule. a few more than we have now, anyway. I would also like to see at least one in the Chase, too.

Early last year there was a thread where some of us had posted a fantasy schedule. Some of them were pretty interesting. I will endeavor to find it and bump it back on the front page.

call_me_andrew
12th April 2012, 04:01
Define "tons" more.

Alexamateo
12th April 2012, 04:28
I'd like to see the Cup cars race at Road America and Montreal

00steven
12th April 2012, 04:48
I think NASCAR needs at least 6 RC's. Road America and Montreal included.

Sparky1329
12th April 2012, 06:12
I'd like to see the Cup cars race at Road America and Montreal

Yes! How I wish.

tstran17_88
14th April 2012, 16:04
I like the idea of Road America as well (since it's only a 90 minute drive for me), but IMO, I don't think it could handle a Cup race yet.

No garages and no structured seating areas like Watkins Glen, but those are easily remedied. I think they have to shorten the course as well. Watching the sports cars race there is awesome, especially since the Rolex Series started running up there but the Nationwide races have been a bit long and boring, especially last year's. The only thing is where to shorten it? There are a lot of hills.

They would also have to put a "bus stop" on the front stretch, as evidence in the Rolex race last year when the Dempsey car went flying over the fence in turn 1.

For the non-campers, I'm thinking there may be enough hotel space since the track isn't too far from Milwaukee, Green Bay and the Fox Valley. Not sure though. But the roads getting in and out of the track would need major improving.

Lee Roy
14th April 2012, 16:22
I like the idea of Road America as well (since it's only a 90 minute drive for me), but IMO, I don't think it could handle a Cup race yet.

No garages and no structured seating areas like Watkins Glen, but those are easily remedied. I think they have to shorten the course as well. Watching the sports cars race there is awesome, especially since the Rolex Series started running up there but the Nationwide races have been a bit long and boring, especially last year's. The only thing is where to shorten it? There are a lot of hills.

They would also have to put a "bus stop" on the front stretch, as evidence in the Rolex race last year when the Dempsey car went flying over the fence in turn 1.

For the non-campers, I'm thinking there may be enough hotel space since the track isn't too far from Milwaukee, Green Bay and the Fox Valley. Not sure though. But the roads getting in and out of the track would need major improving.

Good post. There's a lot more to hosting a cup race than just a track . . . . . . . as we saw last year at Kentucky.

speedsville
14th April 2012, 18:34
Define "tons" more.

Exactly, I would love more but not 12 more

call_me_andrew
14th April 2012, 22:13

They don't need a chicane, they need a bigger wall.

tstran17_88
15th April 2012, 22:24
They don't need a chicane, they need a bigger wall.

Bigger wall wouldn't have helped...turn 1 at RA is just like Watkins Glen. It's a tight turn and the fence is a good 25ish or so yards away. Example A is Jimmie Johnson driving for Herzog Motorsports in the Busch series at Watkins Glen. Example B as to why they need a bus stop is J. D. McDuffie.

tstran17_88
15th April 2012, 22:42
Good post. There's a lot more to hosting a cup race than just a track . . . . . . . as we saw last year at Kentucky.

Thank you my good sir! :)

00steven
16th April 2012, 01:07
After watching that bore last night at Texas, it's clear some diversity in the schedule is warranted.

call_me_andrew
16th April 2012, 01:36
That was a good race last night. Strategies played out on their own, lots of green flag pit stops, a on-track pass for the lead with 30 to go and it's over in 3 hours 7 minutes. What else did you want?

Lee Roy
16th April 2012, 03:36
That was a good race last night. Strategies played out on their own, lots of green flag pit stops, a on-track pass for the lead with 30 to go and it's over in 3 hours 7 minutes. What else did you want?

Agreed. That was a good race . . . . . . for fans of racing.

00steven
17th April 2012, 01:25
Agreed. That was a good race . . . . . . for fans of racing.

Yeah your right I am a fan of racing, which I saw in Long Beach and China for F1. Texas has put out garbage for the last 5 years.

patrickmartin
19th April 2012, 18:18
As a NASCAR fan from the South, it's kind of frowned upon to like or suggest a road course, but hell they remind me so much of short tracks it's hard for me not to get excited about em. They touch the speeds of a faster track then have turns like martinsville, namely sears point. Don't see why more people don't like em. I know they've gotta be quite the b*tch to watch a race at though lol

Sparky1329
20th April 2012, 05:50
I think a road course race belongs in the ten race "Chase". In my opinion a NASCAR champion needs to show proficiency at every type of race track including a road course.