PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Chinese GP Thread

EuroTroll
10th April 2012, 09:11
Five days away! :cool:

The current Yahoo weather forecast looks like this:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/studiose1/china.jpg

So we might get another interesting race, weather-wise.

jens
10th April 2012, 16:45
The incredible Malaysian Grand Prix certainly made the reading of current situation more difficult. Probably in dry conditions McLaren is still favourite for a race win with Red Bull close behind. But Lotus, Sauber and Alonso can mix things up too.

Much is expected from Lotus – Räikkönen claimed after Sepang qualifying that this car could have been on the front row. And race pace isn’t any worse. They just need a weekend, where they can extract everything from the car and podium can be within reach. Like Sauber managed at Sepang. Arguably for Sauber themselves the Shanghai circuit doesn’t suit as well as Sepang, so perhaps podium is out of reach, but they should still get points.

It is a very important weekend for Mercedes to deliver on the hype. Shanghai is also a suitable circuit for them (with less fast corners that are harsh on tyre degradation), so is it now or never? Also 2011 can be recalled, when Mercedes had two very disappointing opening races, but at Shanghai Rosberg rather surprisingly had a realistic shot at the race win for about 2/3rds of the distance! They will sure be hoping for a repeat of that anomaly.

Somebody
11th April 2012, 00:08
Wasn't that the race Rosberg was well underfuelled, which helped flatter his pace until it became critical and he had to back right, right off?

Dave B
12th April 2012, 08:28
From @NobleF1: Five place grid penalty for Hamilton in China as he needs to change gearbox

So we're guaranteed a different polesitter from the previous two races, if nothing else.

EuroTroll
12th April 2012, 10:07
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/studiose1/shang.jpg

Dave B
12th April 2012, 11:40
Lotus continue to win friends and influence people by officially protesting Mercedes' rear wings:

The Lotus team has filed a protest against Mercedes's rear wing ahead of this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix.

Although the FIA had deemed the DRS wing legal twice in the previous two races, Lotus has decided to officially protest its legality ahead of the Shanghai race, the third round of the championship.

Full story: Lotus files protest against Mercedes's rear wing - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98719)

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If you can't join 'em, try and get them banned. That's the F1 way.

N4D13
12th April 2012, 12:32
Lotus have managed to throw away all the respect I had towards them in just two days. Not that I respected them a lot to begin with, but still... :(

jens
12th April 2012, 14:47
Wasn't that the race Rosberg was well underfuelled, which helped flatter his pace until it became critical and he had to back right, right off?

Yes, it was. :)

Dave B
12th April 2012, 15:38
Lotus' protest has been unsuccessful and they say they won't appeal - Merc's wing is still legal.

truefan72
12th April 2012, 18:13
From @NobleF1: Five place grid penalty for Hamilton in China as he needs to change gearbox

So we're guaranteed a different polesitter from the previous two races, if nothing else.

I've not given up on a win for him in China yet.
anything can happen in the race

steveaki13
12th April 2012, 23:09
Should be an interesting race. I am hoping for a better showing of race pace from Mercedes, they need to get it together.

I have never seen a team have such varying pace between Quali and the race.

Tazio
13th April 2012, 04:46
I'm not sure what I just watched, but I think McLaren is the car to beat this weekend!

truefan72
13th April 2012, 05:18
I'm not sure what I just watched, but I think McLaren is the car to beat this weekend!

it was almost a waste of my time,
perhaps it's time for FIA to institute a minimum amount of laps to be run in FP1 & 2

because, half the time the teams were just waiting for others to clean up the track for them.
or maybe bring back the 3rd car situation and let the 3rd drivers run around
something, anything, to alleviate the boredom

Tazio
13th April 2012, 05:37
perhaps it's time for FIA to institute a minimum amount of laps to be run in FP1 & 2

because, half the time the teams were just waiting for others to clean up the track for them.
The idea of the third car is feasible, but it would be awfully hard to enforce it with the racers cars. I think it would be too easy to say that their cars have issues.
It is just practice after all, and I don't believe you should force a driver out on track if he doesn't want to do it. IMHO

A FONDO
13th April 2012, 12:14
Sauber clearly faster than Ferrari in both free practices :D same old....

wedge
13th April 2012, 15:28

FP is like testing. Want can you learn about the car, tyre degradation and so forth in changeable conditions?

andyone
13th April 2012, 22:45
Sauber clearly faster than Ferrari in both free practices :D same old....
yap i noticed that as well. i hope sergio perez does somthing wonderfull again. but my hopes are for hamilton.

kfzmeister
14th April 2012, 06:02
Should be an interesting race. I am hoping for a better showing of race pace from Mercedes, they need to get it together.

I have never seen a team have such varying pace between Quali and the race.

If they can get tire wear figured out in the race, they should be in good shape.

pino
14th April 2012, 06:59
I fear a sad weekend for all tifosi...hopefully they will prove me I was wrong :s

Tazio
14th April 2012, 07:29
I fear a sad weekend for all tifosi...hopefully they will prove me I was wrong :s

It's going to take a miracle for Alonso to get into q3 :rolleyes:

pino
14th April 2012, 07:44
Vettel out of Q3 ??? :eek:

Garry Walker
14th April 2012, 07:45
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Webber leads in Q2, bieber is 11th. So without one second per lap faster car that he had last year, he is not capable of doing anything.

Tazio
14th April 2012, 07:46
Wow! with Webber setting the fastest time :cool:

AndyL
14th April 2012, 07:47
I can't believe how close Q2 was. 3 tenths from 1st to 11th.

truefan72
14th April 2012, 07:47
It's going to take a miracle for Alonso to get into q3 :rolleyes:

lol
miracle asked and answered

truefan72
14th April 2012, 07:50
Vettel out of Q3 ??? :eek:

times...they are a changing

Tazio
14th April 2012, 07:52
lol
miracle asked and answered
He might as well sit on it because I doubt he is moving up!

AndyL
14th April 2012, 07:56
Big lap from Rosberg. Even Schumacher sounded surprised!

pino
14th April 2012, 08:02
Well done Nico ! :up:

truefan72
14th April 2012, 08:06
exceptional lap from nico
1-2 for mercs, but kimi looks good too

Hamilton has some work to do, but a clean start and safe strategy will see both have strong races
the dark horse will be webber who will push that rbr too.

I'm just hoping for a clean start.

my prediction
kimi, Hamilton, webber podium

Tazio
What a lap by Rosberg, well done. Mercedes has the front row and I 'm pretty sure my pickems are screwed :p

ShiftingGears
It was only a matter of time considering Mercedes' pace this year. Well done Nico Rosberg.

F1boat
14th April 2012, 08:08
Very well done for Nico Rosberg, a result which came just in time. The result is also great for Mercedes GP, as the team will start 1-2 because of the penalty which Hamilton has. I think that the race tomorrow will be very unpredictable and I still think that Lewis can fight back and win. However, I'll watch out for Kimi Raikkonen! The disappointment is undoubtedly Vettel, he looks helpless in qualifying this season.

Malbec
14th April 2012, 08:10
Good result for Merc but we'll have to see what happens with their tyres tomorrow without the ability to use DRS everywhere.

Kobayashi put in a blinding lap in a car that clearly takes care of its tyres, he's one to watch.

ioan
14th April 2012, 08:13
Great lap by Rosberg.
Mercedes' first front row showing and they are 1-2, not bad, too bad they will go backwards in the race and end somewhere between 6th and 10th.

Impressive Kobayashi, he'll start 3rd with a car that is easier on its tires than any other car on the grid.

Tazio
14th April 2012, 08:14
Kimi is truly back, and on form. Give the Iceman his prop's :up:

ioan
14th April 2012, 08:17
Kimi is truly back, and on form. Give the Iceman his prop's :up:

Looks like a couple years in a rally car made him like F1 better than before! :laugh:

jens
14th April 2012, 08:18
Wow, what a stunning qualifying! :eek: Q2 was particularly exceptional - Top10 in 0,3 secs and I think even Top14/15 was covered by 0,6 secs!

Congratulations to Nico Rosberg for the first pole position of his career! We knew he had the speed, just needed the to get a lap together to finally show his full potential. And he did it. Perhaps it will give him more confidence for the future also and he will be a regular front-runner. :) Alas based on car characteristics it could be a Nico-train in tomorrow's race. In any case, going to be exciting!

Sauber was great in this qualifying, after a long time Kobayashi managed to put together an impressive qualifying session too. And as we knows based on evidence so far, they are even better in race trim. I remember that we have been discussing in various topics, how good this car actually is. But let's be frank - they are going to be clear contenders for podium tomorrow! And what about win?! If Kobayashi can displace the Mercedes' cars quickly and others get stuck, then sure enough - try to catch the Japanese driver with Sauber's race pace! :)

Wonder, what McLaren can do. So far it looks like their success has been based on locking out front rows. But this time they will be in the middle of Top10, so they have to show magnificent race pace and good strategy to turn this race in their favour.

A shocker for Vettel. Only 0.3 secs, yet out of Q3. :s Well, going to be an exciting race for him, having to work his way through traffic again.

And Alonso is going to be in the mix as well, especially in the beginning of the race with full tanks, where Ferrari is likely to fly. How many places is he going to make up? Before losing out in the final stint...

Räikkönen had a relatively smooth qualifying, and it looks like Lotus is quite consistent in every area and considering the inconsistencies around him, he can capitalize on it tomorrow. Grosjean didn't look as comfortable in qyalifying as in Oz, but he needs to have a clean race for once.

Tazio
14th April 2012, 08:23
Who would have thought Massa and Vettel would be starting on the same row. Felipe upped his game a little and Vettle downed his ;)

truefan72
14th April 2012, 08:24
Kobayashi put in a blinding lap in a car that clearly takes care of its tyres, he's one to watch.

yup forgot about Kobayashi's fantastic lap
might have to amend my podium, those saubers are pretty fast

EuroTroll
14th April 2012, 08:27
What a brilliant lap by Nico! :up: Yet I think Jens is right, we'll see a Nico or a Michael train tomorrow, depending on who gets the better start.

andyone
14th April 2012, 08:29
my prediction
kimi, Hamilton, webber podium
Webber? with MSC and roseberg. i doubt it. there is alonso as well. and i guess its going to be a dramatic race. coz it will rain. without forgetting the saubers

ioan
14th April 2012, 08:29
What a brilliant lap by Nico! :up: Yet I think Jens is right, we'll see a Nico or a Michael train tomorrow, depending on who gets the better start.

Only up to lap 10 when they will be the first to pit for new tires.

Tazio
14th April 2012, 08:32
yup forgot about Kobayashi's fantastic lap
might have to amend my podium, those saubers are pretty fast

Sauber may be the new RedBull. Carlos Slim can out money Dietrich Mateschitz :)

EuroTroll
14th April 2012, 08:46
... and i guess its going to be a dramatic race. coz it will rain. ...

It should be dry, according to the latest...

Zico
14th April 2012, 08:55
Amazing lap by Nico !

Michael will be doing a lot of soul searching, if he gets the chance of a stab at Nico at the first corner we may see some fireworks and to have Kobayashi in 3rd is just fantastic, I just love seeing the guys that are usually much further down the field getting the car, grid position and recognition they deserve... this is what has made this season so great for me..

As others have suggested, I also doubt a Merc will win tomorow but that said, rain will give Michael his best chance. If I was Lewis I'd have taken a gamble and gone for a wet race set-up. Jenson isn't sounding very optimistic due to his problem of getting heat into the fronts when the temps drop, so unless it remains hot and dry Im not expecting much from him.

My prediction for the race? I'll go for- Hamilton, Webber, Kobayashi, Schumacher, Vettel

Roll on tomorow! :D

jens
14th April 2012, 08:57
As we remember, in 2011 we had quite a fantastic Chinese Grand Prix, with lots of different drivers (Hamilton, Button, Rosberg, Vettel, Massa, late in the race even Webber) in the mix for the race win and it wasn't clear until the last few laps, how is it going to end up. It is likely we are going to have such very uncertain and eventful race tomorrow as well. Also I remember the situation after 2009 Belgian GP qualifying, when people weren't sure, who is going to win.

If I had to make a guess, I'd make an outside bet and say that Kobayashi wins. :D Once he gets out in front, I expect Sauber's pace to be good enough that no-one can catch him. But I'm unsure, how will the podiums play out, it will largely depend on strategies. Räikkönen is likely in the mix as well as both McLarens. RBRs including Vettel can't be ruled out of a late attack on podium either. We just need to remember, what Webber did last year from a much worse grid position than Vettel right now. And also there is Pérez, having again silently qualified into top10...

P3ws
14th April 2012, 09:07
Nice to see some folks that doubted Nico before this day acknowledges his skills.
Ppl tend to underestimate him time and time again. Super lap!

What a race it can turn out to.

DexDexter
14th April 2012, 09:10
It's going to be an interesting race, but in the end it's quite likely that one of the Mclarens is going to win it. Mercedes will go backwards and the Red Bulls are too far back. Kimi is in the mix as well but IMO a 5th place is about where he is going to end up.

ioan
14th April 2012, 09:12
Nice to see some folks that doubted Nico before this day acknowledges his skills.

What a race it can turn out to.

He did a great quali lap like he did so many other times in the past. Race is his problem, he usually goes down like a stone.

ioan
14th April 2012, 09:13
It's going to be an interesting race, but in the end it's quite likely that one of the Mclarens is going to win it. Mercedes will go backwards and the Red Bulls are too far back. Kimi is in the mix as well but IMO a 5th place is about where he is going to end up.

I disagree about Kimi, if he can keep his mind off of the ice cream, ;) , he can reach the podium and even the win.

jens
14th April 2012, 09:29

Can't see one Red Bull being too far back, when Webber starts the race between the two McLarens. :) Of course I'm not entirely convinced about car characteristics, but I get the impression (and got it already in Malaysia) that McLaren isn't particularly special in cold conditions especially in race trim, so I don't consider them to be in prime position.

pino
14th April 2012, 11:29
Hamilton's going to win this one me thinks, Alonso could fight for a podium only if will be a wet race :bounce: and watch out for Koba, he could be the surprise of the race ;)

Mark
14th April 2012, 11:42
From 7th I dunno like. Although I don't think either Merc will win it.

P3ws
14th April 2012, 11:48
He did a great quali lap like he did so many other times in the past. Race is his problem, he usually goes down like a stone.

Race is not just his problem. Mainly its Mercedes problem, same same for Ferrari.
The car been consuming them pirellis way faster than the rivals. Same thing last year.
You can´t make drivers responsible for that and i don´t think you do, or do you?

EuroTroll
14th April 2012, 12:18
Race is not just his problem. Mainly its Mercedes problem, same same for Ferrari.
The car been consuming them pirellis way faster than the rivals. Same thing last year.
You can´t make drivers responsible for that and i don´t think you do, or do you?

For Mercedes, the "problem" is also their clever duct thingy. Very useful in qualifying, not so useful in the race, obviously. It's worth 0.5 secs in qualy, or so rival teams have reckoned.

zako85
14th April 2012, 12:26
This race should be an easy win for Hamilton. I don't think that Mercedes cars in their race trim will be able to keep up with the top competitors. By now it is clear that the stellar qualifying performance of Mercedes cars is due to the controversial rear wing duct that they use when DRS is open. Since most of the time during the race they can't use DRS, the Mercedes car advantage will be nil. The most likely scenario is that Hamilton will overtake Rosberg early on. By the time the other faster cars find their way around the slower Mercedes cars, Hamilton will be well ahead with a comfortable lead.

EuroTroll
14th April 2012, 12:29
This race should be an easy win for Hamilton. I don't think that Mercedes cars in their race trim will be able to keep up with the top competitors. By now it is clear that the stellar qualifying performance of Mercedes cars is due to the controversial rear wing duct that they use when DRS is open. Since most of the time during the race they can't use DRS, the Mercedes car advantage will be nil. The most likely scenario is that Hamilton will overtake Rosberg early on. By the time the other faster cars figure their way around the slower Mercedes cars, Hamilton will be well ahead with a comfortable lead.

I think you're forgetting Hamilton's 5-place grid penalty. ;)

Valve Bounce
14th April 2012, 12:42
What a lap by Rosberg, well done. Mercedes has the front row and I 'm pretty sure my pickems are screwed :p

So is just about everyone else's, including mine :(

zako85
14th April 2012, 12:49
I think you're forgetting Hamilton's 5-place grid penalty. ;)

That's right! wow. I completely forgot this..

ArrowsFA1
14th April 2012, 12:52
Cracking lap by Nico, and I'll even be pleased to see the old boy up there with him making it a Silver Arrows 1-2 when the race starts tomorrow. Good stuff by Sauber as well. They could be genuine contenders for the race win.

Should be a very interesting day tomorrow.

pino
14th April 2012, 12:56
Should be a very interesting day tomorrow.

...especially if it will be a wet race :p

Mia 01
14th April 2012, 14:34
A big congratulation to Nicos first pole!

I´m afraid the Mercedes will fade away in the race. Kimi could be in for a podium but I think Jenson will win.

wedge
14th April 2012, 15:04
LOL! Vettel beaten by Alonso - where are you Garry Walker? :D

What's wrong with this picture? surprised nobody called Britney arrogant for buggering off early.

Hard to call the race. I think LH still has a brilliant chance, question marks over Merc's tyre degradation but still agree with Ioan, Koby and Kimi is in with a shout too.

fandango
14th April 2012, 16:37
It's interesting how the second half of the grid seems to be based on the cars' pace: After Massa it's Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso, Caterham, Marussia and HRT.

The pointy end looks interesting too, though. I'll be surprised if there isn't a first-lap incident, with the excitable ones like Kobayashi, Raikkonen, Schumacher and Hamilton all in with a chance of gaining places if they make the right plays. It looks like it'll be a McLaren win, but Pérez, Webber and Alonso all look threatening for a podium too.

If Mercedes have sorted out their tyre wear issues they'll win, if not they'll be nowhere again.

CavallinoRampante
14th April 2012, 21:35
Tomorrow at the start, Kobayashi crashes out with Kimi at the first turn, Hamilton overtakes Nico Rosberg at the first turn, Alonso overtakes Perez at the first turn (Ferrari seems pretty strong off the line). Then the Mercedes duo will fade out after 5 laps and will be passed by the top 5 cars.

If it rains it's a different lottery still.

ioan
14th April 2012, 22:36
Hamilton overtakes Nico Rosberg at the first turn,...

Sure sure, what else?!

truefan72
14th April 2012, 23:10
Tomorrow at the start, Kobayashi crashes out with Kimi at the first turn, Hamilton overtakes Nico Rosberg at the first turn, Alonso overtakes Perez at the first turn (Ferrari seems pretty strong off the line). Then the Mercedes duo will fade out after 5 laps and will be passed by the top 5 cars.

If it rains it's a different lottery still.

so somehow while kobayashi and kimi have an accident, hamilton somehow passes webber, button, and schumi before the first turn then passes rosberg?

LOL, I'm a big Hamilton supporter but even I know that this scenario is never going to happen.
lets hope for a clean start by all. Then we will see things shake out over the 54 laps
the only person who worries me at the start is webber, who notoriously has poor starts and is likely to not give an inch
We will also see if Grosjean can make it past the first few corners ;)

i_max2k2
15th April 2012, 01:40
We will also see if Grosjean can make it past the first few corners ;)

Without taking anyone with him :p

ShiftingGears
15th April 2012, 01:47
...especially if it will be a wet race :p

I'm hoping for a dry race - I want to see where all the teams are on genuine pace.

longisland
15th April 2012, 02:08
Arguably the most competitive qualifying. 0.3s separating top ten in Q2. I'm wearing my old Renault jersey today to show my support for the Enstone based team. P/S: IMHO, this is one of those new tracks that DRS ought to be banned in the race. The long straights and wide track provide more than enough overtaking opportunity. I want to see overtaking, not passing.

airshifter
15th April 2012, 04:22
I expect Kimi, Kobayashi, Button, and Perez to end up at the top of the pack. I'd even guess that my FGP secret weapon Perez will get past Kobayashi and podium. :D Webber and the Mercedes will fade, but I think Vettel will finish in the top 6 or 7.

Koz
15th April 2012, 05:43
Kimi for the win!
Kobayashi will take out rosberg on the first lap.

aryan
15th April 2012, 05:50

Well, I've never doubted his outright pace (that was evident from his first GP) but his race craft. He doesn't have it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he will melt under pressure, and we won't see him on the podium.

They don't give out points on Saturdays, you know.

aryan
15th April 2012, 05:56
I think Kimi is looking good for a win, if he can put it together.

Kobayashi is also looking good for a podium, hoping he gets second.

The last place on the podium could be anyone's. Webber and Hamilton probably have a nice shot at it.

Bring on the race now!

longisland
15th April 2012, 06:24
Shuey to win if the Merc can last the whole race. Button, Kimi and Lewis stand a good chance to win. Webber will have a good result and outside chance to win. Seb needs some luck because the Red Bull isn't the best car in traffic especially with the KERS light. Fred will fight hard as usual and scores some points. Heart goes to Koba for a win and Massa on podium, grosjean and pastor to finish the race..

Robinho
15th April 2012, 07:56
that pole lap was epic, watched it back a few times, every apex perfect, so smooth and half a second quicker than anyone, it doesn't get much better than that

Warriwa
15th April 2012, 08:16
Webber loses three places at start. Business as usual.

Warriwa
15th April 2012, 08:27
wow! great racing between mark and kimi

steveaki13
15th April 2012, 08:58
Mercedes must have good tyre wear rate, as they are trying 2 stops, I think most of us were not expecting this, myself included.

steveaki13
15th April 2012, 09:00
Although the team might be throwing this away, Button is so much faster now.

donKey jote
15th April 2012, 09:19
Alo you donkey :p

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:28
How lucky is bieber? He sucks in qualy, does nothing in the race, yet somehow lucks into 2nd place. Unbelieveable luck. I hope his brakes fail and he crashes out.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:28
This is like watching an Italian GP at Monza without the chicanes! Constant overtaking.

dj_bytedisaster
15th April 2012, 09:32
How lucky is bieber? He sucks in qualy, does nothing in the race, yet somehow lucks into 2nd place. Unbelieveable luck. I hope his brakes fail and he crashes out.

Could you please leave your hatred at home? What kind of sick attitude is that to wish a crash on a driver?!? We're seeing a brilliant race with infighting all over the show and all you can come up with is whining that your driver isn't winning? You're watching the wrong sport.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:38
Could you please leave your hatred at home? What kind of sick attitude is that to wish a crash on a driver?!? We're seeing a brilliant race with infighting all over the show and all you can come up with is whining that your driver isn't winning? You're watching the wrong sport.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:39

I am quite satisfied with who is winning, who is 2nd and so on to bieber. For him I just hope he crashes out.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:40

You would.

BDunnell
Now who says modern F1 drivers can't race? This is, thus far, a splendid demonstration of racecraft. Everyone has — just — given each other enough room in the most intense dry race I've seen for years. Something to be celebrated.

i_max2k2
I seriously think this year's championship is going to be in between Mclarens and Mercs.

Garry Walker
So much for Merc tyres problems, so much for McLaren being the clearly fastest car on grid, so much for Bieber being a top level driver.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:41
Now who says modern F1 drivers can't race? This is, thus far, a splendid demonstration of racecraft. Everyone has — just — given each other enough room in the most intense dry race I've seen for years. Something to be celebrated.

Who has said that? Some NostalgiaTards still living in 60s should not be taken seriously.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:42
You would.

Because I enjoy the sport, yes, and because I would never derive any pleasure from a particular driver's misfortune. This is not a subject on which I have a desire to engage with you, so I'll leave it at that.

F1boat
15th April 2012, 09:43
Well done, Nico! Fantastic, stylish first victory!!!

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:43
Great race by Rosberg! Congratulations! :up:

truefan72
15th April 2012, 09:44
Congrats Rosberg!
couldn't be happier for the guy
what a race
Hamilton finished 3rd so I appreciate the result, I thnik he has the lead now

but today belongs to Rosberg
driver of the day, congrats Nico, well deserved

and as to Garry Walker...shame on you

Garry Walker
To be honest, at times I thought he would never win a race in his career. Sadly MS sucked bigtime today, even before retiring, so Rosberg was well worthy.

christophulus
Fantastic race, on the edge of my sofa for the last 10 laps. Brilliant weekend from Rosberg :up:

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:45

Any sport on this planet (even boxing) would be ashamed to count you as a fan(boy).

truefan72

best race of the year so far.
I couldn't keep up with all the action

ioan

Well, yes, they are mostly giving each other space as they know that it's down to tires and DRS.

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:46
To be honest, at times I thought he would never win a race in his career. Sadly MS sucked bigtime today, even before retiring, so Rosberg was well worthy.

:rolleyes:

truefan72
15th April 2012, 09:46
Well done, Nico! Fantastic, stylish first victory!!!

No argument here
he dominated the race
and at the same time redeemed mercedes and announced to the paddock that they are to be reckoned with in 2012

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:47
Because I enjoy the sport, yes, and because I would never derive any pleasure from a particular driver's misfortune. This is not a subject on which I have a desire to engage with you, so I'll leave it at that.

:up:

truefan72
15th April 2012, 09:48
nice to see button and hamilton genuinely happy for nico

Garry Walker
:rolleyes:

What are you rolling your eyes about, fanboy? MS did suck today and I wanted him to beat Rosberg, but he was half a second slower in qualy and in race, how can I get around that and say he did well? I have no doubt he will do better in next races, but he was awful today.

BDunnell
best race of the year so far.
I couldn't keep up with all the action

Admittedly, some of it was because of the DRS that I so dislike, but this wasn't a situation like Turkey last year where I felt it was the cause of excessive passing. There was much in the race today that had nothing to do with opening the flap, and far more to do with good old-fashioned dicing. Even when DRS was involved, you've still got to make the pass cleanly and go wheel-to-wheel without touching. This everybody managed to do, so to say that no skill was involved is missing the point entirely.

F1boat
Three races, three different winning drivers and three different winning cars. AWESOME.

truefan72
15th April 2012, 09:49
Any sport on this planet (even boxing) would be ashamed to count you as a fan(boy).

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:49

If Hamilton, Alonso or Webber crashed out, you would smile and be happy.

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:50
I seriously think this year's championship is going to be in between Mclarens and Mercs.

Don't get your hopes high, thee cold track temperatures flattered Mercedes today as they were the only one who could properly warm the tires. On a track with high temperatures, they will be the same sitting duck they were in Oz and Malaysia.

Anyway, this result saved them in front of the Mercedes-Daimler board.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:50
Well, yes, they are mostly giving each other space as they know that it's down to tires and DRS.

As I have said above, I consider this a rather simplistic opinion in the case of the race we've just seen. I don't say that insultingly, but it's the best way I can think of to describe my thoughts on the matter.

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:51
Very happy for Rosberg and Haug! :up:

F1boat
This championship will be awesome! :)

steveaki13

Yep me too.

BDunnell
Top three for Mercedes in a way, let's not forget.

Garry Walker
Don't get your hopes high, thee cold track temperatures flattered Mercedes today as they were the only one who could properly warm the tires. On a track with high temperatures, they will be the same sitting duck they were in Oz and Malaysia.

Anyway, this result saved them in front of the Mercedes-Daimler board. The problem with Merc is not tyre wear, it is getting the tyres to work. Rosberg was nowhere in malaysia and yet his tyres were like new when he pitted.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:52
Very happy for Rosberg and Haug! :up:

Indeed. Haug has always struck me as a decent sort of chap, and certainly very enthusiastic about motorsport in all its forms.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 09:52
Yep me too.

Yeah, me too.

aryan
15th April 2012, 09:53
Well, I've never doubted his outright pace (that was evident from his first GP) but his race craft. He doesn't have it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he will melt under pressure, and we won't see him on the podium.

I'm off to eat some humble pie. Anyone care to join me?

donKey jote
15th April 2012, 09:53
Top three for Mercedes in a way, let's not forget.

and next 5 for Renault :crazy: :p

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:54
As I have said above, I consider this a rather simplistic opinion in the case of the race we've just seen. I don't say that insultingly, but it's the best way I can think of to describe my thoughts on the matter.

Raikkonen went from 2nd to 9th within half a lap and that wasn't because of his lack of race craft, so I think that you are oversimplifying things by eliminating the 2 most important factors in order to misname clean driving as race craft. I saw enough hardly fought motorsport to know what we saw today a tire lottery exacerbated by the racing disgrace called DRS.

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:55

Yep, let's go.

steveaki13
15th April 2012, 09:55

I'll have a slice.

DexDexter
15th April 2012, 09:56
Raikkonen went from 2nd to 9th within half a lap and that wasn't because of his lack of race craft, so I think that you are oversimplifying things by eliminating the 2 most important factors in order to misname clean driving as race craft. I saw enough hardly fought motorsport to know what we saw today a tire lottery exacerbated by the racing disgrace called DRS.

Then quit watching and let the rest of us enjoy this magnificent sport. It was a fantastic race!

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:57
Indeed. Haug has always struck me as a decent sort of chap, and certainly very enthusiastic about motorsport in all its forms.

Yep, from what one can see in his behavior and comments Haug is a very down to earth person.

i_max2k2
15th April 2012, 09:57
I'll have a slice.

I never underestimate Ross Brawn, and so I dint make any predictions :p

ioan
15th April 2012, 09:58
Then quit watching and let the rest of us enjoy this magnificent sport. It was a fantastic race!

Maybe you can learn accepting different opinions?! And stop bugging in where you have no business, and stop being so unbelievably rude.
Now go get yourself an ice cream and cool down. :p :

PS: you won't see me around anymore if the Bahrain race goes ahead.

Tazio
15th April 2012, 09:59
Hamiltons pass: :up:

http://s7.postimage.org/r5t9olqjf/RTL_Television_2012_04_15_10_37_09.jpg

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 10:00

So have I seen enough motorsport of that type, ioan, so don't try that one on me, thank you very much!

Criticism of the tyres is irrelevant, I feel. It's something the drivers just have to live with, like it or not — part of the modern 'skill set' required of an F1 driver. I liken this to the way Group C sports car racing became a fuel conservation formula. The drivers had to work around the restrictions accordingly, just as F1 drivers have to do with the tyres now. As you know, I agree with you about DRS, but not all the passing we saw in China was down to DRS.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 10:00
Maybe you can learn accepting different opinions?
LOL!!!

Tazio
15th April 2012, 10:02
Jeezus H christ can't we be civil on this freakin' forum :down:

DexDexter
Maybe you can learn accepting different opinions?! And stop bugging in where you have no business, and stop being so unbelievably rude.

Sorry if I sounded rude but honestly, all you do is complain. Everything is artificial these days, forget about that and enjoy what you see!

ioan
If Hamilton, Alonso or Webber crashed out, you would smile and be happy.

That is not true. Take you crap away from here please. Your comments are disgusting.

truefan72

I'll have mine with a glass of champagne

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:04
Sorry if I sounded rude but honestly, all you do is complain. Everything is artificial these days, forget about that and enjoy what you see!

There are sometimes some good bits to enjoy, just few and far between. Anyway I will most probably give up on watching the circus in 5 days time.

Garry Walker
That is not true. Take you crap away from here please. Your comments are disgusting.

I am not talking about a fatal crash or something that results in a major injury. I am talking about a harmless crash and you should be honest about it.

BDunnell

To be fair, there is one opinion on this thread of which neither you nor I have been that accepting...

Let's save this comment for posterity! I do hope you won't get on too much of a moral high horse at those of us who intend not to watch Bahrain, but will still continue to watch the sport thereafter, as I will do.

ShiftingGears
Excellent race.

truefan72
15th April 2012, 10:05
Haug is crying
barely holding it together in the interview

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 10:07
Everything is artificial these days, forget about that and enjoy what you see!

I can't agree with this. Not everything is artificial these days — there were several overtakes that had nothing to do with DRS. I still believe that DRS could be done away with and we'd still see more passing than we're used to, thanks to the tyres.

truefan72
the best part of this win is not having to deal with christian horner's smug face at the end of the race

DexDexter
Haug is crying

I'm sure he was under a lot of pressure from the board & co. It's a good result for F1, this will keep Mercedes in the sport for a while.

truefan72
15th April 2012, 10:08
I'm sure he was under a lot of pressure from the board & co. It's a good result for F1, this will keep Mercedes in the sport for a while.

yup

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 10:10
Everything is artificial these days, forget about that and enjoy what you see!

A good example of not everything being artificial is the battle between Grosjean and Maldonado that's just been replayed on the BBC. Splendid, clean racing.

DexDexter
I can't agree with this. Not everything is artificial these days — there were several overtakes that had nothing to do with DRS. I still believe that DRS could be done away with and we'd still see more passing than we're used to, thanks to the tyres.

I meant it in a general sort of way. IN the old days tires were bad cause the technology to make them good wasn't there, these days you have to limit the performance of everything and so on to be able to race but that's ok by me.

Zico
I'll have a slice.

I think this seasons results in particular is showing us that half the grid are actualy very,very close in terms of individual raw pace and its mainly the car/circuit temps&tyres/tactics combo that decides the winner dont you think? If it was atall possible I'd love to see F1 being a single chassis/engine combo for a whole season once every 4 years.. just to see a true drivers championship in equal machinery.

Fantastic race overall and congrats Nico, win fully deserved! :)

donKey jote
15th April 2012, 10:11
who's the babe on sky ? :andrea:

aryan
15th April 2012, 10:12
Yeah, nice race in the end. I think they got the DRS zone just right for this one. And the different strategies and different tyres meant there was lots of racing all around. Too much probably!

Some really nice driving by everyone. There was a lot of wheel to wheel racing, and pretty much no banging. To finish with 23 cars still running after that eventful race... amazing.

I still think we are yet to see the true pace of that Lotus. But it's really one of those races that you realise motorsport is a team sport. They were slow in the pits, losing positions there, and they also got Kimi's strategy horribly wrong. What were they thinking leaving him out like that?

Also, what happened to the Saubers? Is it the car, or is it the drivers? One wonders...

dj_bytedisaster
15th April 2012, 10:13
I am not talking about a fatal crash or something that results in a major injury. I am talking about a harmless crash and you should be honest about it.

There is no such thing as a harmless crash in a car as fast as an F1 car. Each crash is potentially harmful and its only down to the excessive safety measures these days that most crashes end up being relatively harmless. Wishing for a crash is still wrong and contrary to your cynical view on things, most of us in fact do not wish for races being decided by crashes, because that usually deprives us of a potentially great infight.
As happy as I am for Nico's win, I would have preferred there to be a fight at the end, so I'm not very happy about Buttons botched pit stop, even though I'm nothing remotely close to a McLaren supporter. The thing that really makes your comment stick out like a sore thumb is, that we saw an epic race and you decide to annoy us with your hateful dribble about a driver that was anonymous at best in this race. How about commenting about Webbers fantastic drive or the brilliant overtaking manovers by Button and Hamilton? We all got the message now that you don't like Vettel. I'm letting you in on a secret: Others don't either, but it's no reason to engage in hate monging.

aryan
15th April 2012, 10:19
Hmmm... you guys keep quoting Garry Walker is making my ignore list rather ineffective. :rolleyes:

Please guys, stop feeding the troll. As long as you give him material, he will out-troll you all. There is no point arguing with people like that.

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:22
To be fair, there is one opinion on this thread of which neither you nor I have been that accepting...

That one is very difficult to digest.

Let's save this comment for posterity! I do hope you won't get on too much of a moral high horse at those of us who intend not to watch Bahrain, but will still continue to watch the sport thereafter, as I will do.

Each to his own. I'm moving towards endurance racing more and more, year after year. There is still real racing there, unlike in the show we call the 'pinnacle of motorsport'.

donKey jote
15th April 2012, 10:29
who's the babe on sky ? :andrea:

Georgie Thompson :kiss: :p

I prefer the Spanish hag though (Nira Juanco) :D
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdoJfTq8YCZ7TmJv3hrfnf94Lmjne3J zCRcEgasWj5s_WtLTUj

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:33

Wishing bad in a sport is not fair.
You never know how a crash might end.

Garry Walker
15th April 2012, 10:35
Wishing bad in a sport is not fair.

Well, life is not fair.

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:37
Haug is crying

That's a happy man. The pressure is easing of a bit now. Though they will have to keep performing otherwise the board will be unhappy.

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:45
Also, what happened to the Saubers? Is it the car, or is it the drivers? One wonders...

Car, or more likely tires.

The cold track played into Mercedes hands, however it did not advantage the cars that are lighter on their tires, and Sauber are using the tires the lightest of them all.

jens
15th April 2012, 10:51
Stunning race! I have to admit that in mid-race I lost track, who is where, because a lot of cars were together and all on different strategies! And if 10 laps from the end 10 cars are still pretty much together, then this is quite a sensational sight!

Again for such mess we have to thank Pirelli, who has designed tyres, which are very difficult to understand for teams and which have a very narrow setup window. It looks like there is no „perfect car“ out there at the moment, which is why many drivers and teams have an opportunity in the right circumstances.

Perhaps on an identical strategy McLaren could have challenged or even beaten Rosberg, but 2-stopper was superior than 3-stopper today, especially as 3-stoppers tended to get stuck in traffic for much of the race. In any case, impressive performance and tyre management by Rosberg! Already in 2010 and 2011 he was in the hunt on the same circuit, but finally it all came together. Looks like one of his best circuits.

Nice race by Button. It looked like he had a superior strategy to Hamilton, who was stuck in traffic for a lot of time during the race.

Finally we saw Grosjean in race trim properly and I have to say his pace looked good. Never dropped far behind Kimi. Disappointed about Sauber. I am not sure, how did they drop that far behind. Pérez looked good during the first stint after everyone had pitted in front of him, but somehow the pace and strategy didn’t work out. Temperatures/conditions didn’t suit?

--

P.S. Garry Walker and Ioan, take your Bahrain GP talk to a thread dedicated for it.

ioan
15th April 2012, 10:56
Disappointed about Sauber. I am not sure, how did they drop that far behind. Pérez looked good during the first stint after everyone had pitted in front of him, but somehow the pace and strategy didn’t work out. Temperatures/conditions didn’t suit?

Yes, it was because of the temperature.

Dave B
15th April 2012, 11:42
Mercedes have been fined €5000 for their unsafe release of Schumacher, which would have been more but they took into account the fact that Michael pulled off safely and promptly.

Mercedes fined for Michael Schumacher's Chinese Grand Prix pitstop issue - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98867)

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/chn-document-50.pdf

dj_bytedisaster
15th April 2012, 11:56
I think it is a fair decision to hand out the fine. It is the teams responsibility to not release the car until it is safe and Mercedes clearly failed at that. It looked to me that whoever poses as the lollipop man these days is to blame. The mechanic was clearly aware that his job wasn't finished yet and tried to communicate it clearly, so I don't think he is to blame.
On the other hand 5 grand is merely a symbolic amount and it's good to see that prompt and fair actions of the driver are taken into consideration as well. One of the better stewards decisions we've seen lately.

steveaki13
15th April 2012, 14:38

I hope so, because remember BMW winning in mid 2008 in Canada, and then after that good season, they quit after a poor 2009.

I hope Mercedes have a bit more commitment than that.

wedge
15th April 2012, 15:46
A great race, even with little action in the first half.

P3ws
15th April 2012, 16:32
I will pass on the humbe pie.
Never doubted Nico just the racecraft.
Congrats to you, Nico and to Mercedes. 55 years is a long long time to wait.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 16:36
Congrats to you, Nico and to Mercedes. 55 years is a long long time to wait.

He joins a very select band of drivers who have won World Championship GPs for Mercedes. The only others are Fangio and Moss!

dj_bytedisaster
15th April 2012, 17:50
He joins a very select band of drivers who have won World Championship GPs for Mercedes. The only others are Fangio and Moss!

Sterling Moss unfortunately never won a WDC allhtough he should have, but at least he scored a few GP's. Last GP win for Merc was 11th of Sept 1955 by Fangio.

djparky
15th April 2012, 19:41
slow start, but became a great race- fascinating to see Lotus-Renault, Maclaren, RBR, Williams, Ferrari and Sauber all squabbling in that pack of cars. Well done to Nico for a long overdue win- so that's 3 races and 3 different winners- just what I want to see

A FONDO
15th April 2012, 20:51
Well half a day after the race finished I can write more words about this, unsorted and related to different topics so I post this all in the main one.

Yes Rosberg won mainly because the track temperature suited perfectly his car and some small issues held his chasers, but I must admit that he extracted the maximum from it. Won the pole, escaped far away after the start and followed his tyre strategy to the end.

I was most impressed by Button. Despite the problem in the pit and resulting traffic, he managed to climb up to the highest possible place. However, due to his passive style I dont believe he would have caught Rosberg had he not gone through these delays, but he could have given Nico a good run for his money at least.

I want to give big praise to FIA officials for the DRS zone choice and especially its length. Just the perfect balance between PlayStation-style overtake some people complain of and the old-style slaloms pushing your opponent off the road.

Finally, after the lazy start it was one of the most dramatic races without safety car or weather issues which I've seen for years. Halfway through the last season I nearly stopped following this sport but now my passion is returning back. F1 promoter really know how to entertain the masses.

ioan
15th April 2012, 21:16
To be honest the DRS had a slighter impact today because they were all on the rev limiter half way down the straight (due to gear ratios), not because the FIA became smarter over night.

DazzlaF1
15th April 2012, 22:10

It does not matter one iota, if you wish bad luck on any driver without good reason wether it be fatal or not, then you clearly dont deserve to be a fan, just leave the rest of us alone to enjoy the sport we love

As for the race, wow, I was amazed about the last 20 laps, close battle for 2nd yes but i was amazed and delighted to seel it was all good and clean, something I dont think any of us expected. It does however take a little bit away from what was I thought a magnificent first win for Rosberg. Welcome to a very exclusive club Nico, you deserve it.

On the whole McLaren I think have the best all round package while Red Bull I think will struggle on the high speed tracks, Monaco and Hungary could be to their liking though with that car

wedge
15th April 2012, 22:51
To be honest the DRS had a slighter impact today because they were all on the rev limiter half way down the straight (due to gear ratios), not because the FIA became smarter over night.

All the better for it and judging by the wonderful race we had it is all the more reason to get rid of that wretched thing.

airshifter
16th April 2012, 01:42
Overall a great race. Lots of clean moves, a lot of strategy changes and decisions, and plenty of good I think personally as the teams adjust to the tires and DRS zones, they are just finding out what works for them, and using the decisions to affect the setup of the cars. An example of this is the Mclaren taking several laps to get past Perez in the Sauber. DRS wasn't helping them much at all due to setup differences. Likewise the team that gets the chassis balance right and preserves tires has a distinct advantage at times.

As for all the moaning, I hope all the moaners get sick of F1 and just leave the forum. My 13 years old understands that if you are going to do nothing but complain, don't join the conversation. ;)