PDA

View Full Version : Pits are open for business on full-course cautions

Marbles
9th April 2012, 23:52
Pits are open for business on full-course cautions (http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/April/4-09-Pits-open-during-full-course-cautions)

About time although I'm not keen on reshuffling lapped cars to the back of the field with (arbitrary) 20 laps to go.

garyshell
10th April 2012, 03:09
Pits are open for business on full-course cautions (http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/April/4-09-Pits-open-during-full-course-cautions)

About time although I'm not keen on reshuffling lapped cars to the back of the field with (arbitrary) 20 laps to go.

Glad to see a move to shorten full course yellows. RE: the 20 laps to go, are you against the idea of moving the lapped cars back or just the decision to do it a 20 laps or less? If the latter, what number would you suggest. I like the idea. The number of laps, I don't really have a suggestion 20 sunds ok to me.

Gary

slorydn1
10th April 2012, 03:33
NASCAR used to do that with 10 to go back in the days of the single file restart. 10-20, sounds about right to me.

call_me_andrew
10th April 2012, 03:44
Horray! Now whenever someone crashes causing a full course yellow, everyone will drive at top speed to get to the pits first, even if they're behind the crash. Carnage for all!

FIAT1
10th April 2012, 12:43
Good idea. I think it will work out for the better.

Marbles
10th April 2012, 23:39
Glad to see a move to shorten full course yellows. RE: the 20 laps to go, are you against the idea of moving the lapped cars back or just the decision to do it a 20 laps or less? If the latter, what number would you suggest. I like the idea. The number of laps, I don't really have a suggestion 20 sunds ok to me.

Gary

I know side by side restarts are exciting but now we're clearing lapped cars out of the way. Is there anything else we can do to help the guy in second place? Why 20 laps? On some tracks that's a third of a race and on others it's less than a quarter of a race. If you're going to have it then make it 5 laps to go so the guy in second place likely gets one shot at it and not possibly two or three.

What if I was down a lap but about to make my lap back by re-passing the leader. 20 laps to go is a lot of racing. Do I stay down a lap and get sent to the back of the field or am I gifted my lap back without actually having to make a pass. Are we going to have lucky dogs?

As for open pits, I think it should help decongest pit row and those unfortunate situations when the leader(s) could get hung out to dry because of where they were when the caution came out will happen less often.

00steven
11th April 2012, 00:59
Good idea. I think it will work out for the better.

My thought as well.

Marbles
17th April 2012, 02:15
Opening the pits seemed to work as planned. Good stuff.

champcarray
18th April 2012, 01:21
The open pits appeared to work very well. Two thumbs up.

I'll let the insiders determine what's best for all involved near the end of the race.