PDA

View Full Version : Golf thread!!

race aficionado
6th April 2012, 18:47
Any body watching The Masters?
I am. :)

Rooting for Tiger but also enjoying anybody else that plays a good game.

:s mokin:

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 18:53
I can't watch, owing to lack of TV and internet connection until mid-week, but was listening. One of my favourite sporting events of the year, without question. All I hope for is an interesting, competitive tournament — I root for no particular player. But it would be good to see a first-time winner like Westwood.

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 18:54
PS — we need to make sure we have a snooker thread when the World Championship comes around!

EuroTroll
6th April 2012, 18:55
Since I'm a tennis fan, I'm rooting for Rory McIlroy.. :erm: He's innit, right? :D

EuroTroll
6th April 2012, 18:55
PS — we need to make sure we have a snooker thread when the World Championship comes around!

Absolutely! ;)

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 18:57
Absolutely! ;)

Coincidentally, I am just arriving by train in the town that, from today, is my new (I was a student here) home — Sheffield!

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 18:57
Since I'm a tennis fan, I'm rooting for Rory McIlroy.. :erm: He's innit, right? :D

He is. After what happened to him last year, he too would deserve it.

EuroTroll
6th April 2012, 19:00
Coincidentally, I am just arriving by train in the town that, from today, is my new (I was a student here) home — Sheffield!

Do you have tickets to the Crucible already? :)

ArrowsFA1
6th April 2012, 19:02
Any body watching The Masters?
I am. :)

Rooting for Tiger but also enjoying anybody else that plays a good game.

Certainly am :s mokin: Fingers crossed for Lee Westwood this year :cool:

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 19:16
Do you have tickets to the Crucible already? :)

I certainly do.

EuroTroll
6th April 2012, 19:18
I certainly do.

I envy you, good Sir, as always. :)

BDunnell
6th April 2012, 21:22
Actually, I now know who I want to win at Augusta: Fred Couples. What a story it would be were he to do it again! Quite remarkable that he seems to be there or thereabouts year after year. I always love to see the older players up there, too.

race aficionado
6th April 2012, 22:05
What a gorgeous course - what a tough course.

The build up for Sunday is always fun and on Sunday it will be one of those "anything can happen, and it will happen" days.

It's a treat for us that appreciate this game.

race aficionado
8th April 2012, 05:49
Tiger has sucked in this Masters . . . . . :(

edv
8th April 2012, 16:00
And he'll probably get a penalty from the PGA for his little hissy fit at the 16th tee box on Friday.

I have enjoyed watching Fred Couples give those young whippersnappers a run for their money.

race aficionado
9th April 2012, 01:49
Great for Bubba.

I heard he has no swing coach nor does he study his swing on videos tape.

He's a natural and with a gift of shaping the ball and also whacking it far.

Tough, tough beautiful course.

Tiger sucked.

Roamy
9th April 2012, 02:35
Bubba is amazing - he does not even look a videos of his golf swing let alone have a coach. I would say great day for Bubba and bad day for swing coaches. Tiger's problems is that he is now listening to everyone but himself. I remember making money in the stock market and then I listened to everyone and promptly lost all my money

anthonyvop
9th April 2012, 05:06
Tiger sucked.

He is still better than 99.9999999% of the golfers out there including you and me.

Congrats to Bubba!

BDunnell
9th April 2012, 10:33
He is still better than 99.9999999% of the golfers out there including you and me.

Your point being? I hardly think it's a controversial or incorrect opinion to state that, by his standards, he had a very poor Masters. And if you are of the view that we shouldn't criticise on the grounds that we aren't professional golfers - well, this would leave us all with a very small range of topics on which to offer personal opinion.

Anyway, enough of Woods. It's wrong for the talk to be about him when he was nowhere. What a final day that was! Watson was a great winner, and that hook shot out of trouble was quite sensational. A shame for Oosthuizen - I thought for all the world he had it in the bag. And while it's ultimately pointless to go through the ifs and buts, one has to say that Lee Westwood's putting probably cost him victory. I much enjoyed Mickelson's last round from an entertainment point of view, even if it didn't give him the desired result! And, as an aside, it's worth looking at the card of the low amateur, Patrick Cantlay. His final round was an up-and-down affair, to put it mildly!

race aficionado
9th April 2012, 19:21

Congrats to Bubba!

True, but even Tiger would agree with me.
From favorite to "What the . . .!!!!"

That's another reason why I love this game - the mental game is so powerful and humbling. That's why Bubba's win is so sweet, he seems to just go with the flow - and of course with golf, his next championship appearance may well be a polar opposite from this one.