PDA

View Full Version : iPod syncing problems

Knock-on
3rd April 2012, 20:05
Any iPod experts out there?

I can't get my iPod touch to sync with iTunes. When I click on "Sync Music" it says it will replace all the songs on my iPod with what's in iTunes Library whih is Zero. I wnt to import all the tunes off my iPod to populate iTunes.

Any ideas?

Mark
3rd April 2012, 20:22
What sort of iPod? iOS or classic?

Normally the music sync only works in one direction, from your computer to your iPod. However Karen has done it where she's moved computers and she's set her iPod with the old iTunes to be a 'storage device' then you can register the iPod with the new iTunes and upload.

Now that's with classic iPod. No idea if the same applies with iOS or iCloud.

schmenke
3rd April 2012, 21:10
Knockie, I think what you may want to do is "share" your music library. I did this once when I installed iTunes on the wife's laptop and copied my music library from the iPod. Now I have the music library installed on both her laptop and the home desktop (the original source). I can't remember exactly what I did, but there was a "share library" option somewhere that I had to enable :mark: .

MrJan
3rd April 2012, 21:15
There's an option in one of the drop down menus for "Authorise this computer" or something, that sounds like what Mark is on about. TBH Apple are just a pain in the arse with stuff like this, it's never simple and (more annoyingly) never clear. The amount of times that I've just gambled on getting the right button is amazing. As it is I'm currently cold turkey anyway, the iPhone finally gave up the ghost and started turning itself off whenever I opened an app and my iPod was plugged into my car and the battery is ruined :(

schmenke
3rd April 2012, 21:27
... TBH Apple are just a pain in the arse with stuff like this, it's never simple and (more annoyingly) never clear. The amount of times that I've just gambled on getting the right button is amazing. ...

:cornfused:

Not to defend Apple, but I find the iPod a treat to use compared with the (numerous) previous mp3 players I've used over the years :mark: .

Oops, sorry, perhaps this should have been posted in the current Apple-bashing thread :s tareup:

MrJan
3rd April 2012, 21:37
The thing itself is remarkably easy to use...until you want to link it to a PC and do anything. Syncing my phone and iPod was always a trial and the time when things went wrong. Also the inbuilt battery thing gets on your tits.

I've always praised Apple for their presentation and ease of use, I've recently got an HTC and setting it up took a lot more effort than when I got the iPhone. But there are practicalities (and the price) that really let Apple down.

ioan
4th April 2012, 23:28
The thing itself is remarkably easy to use...until you want to link it to a PC and do anything.

That's obvious it only works with the iStuff. Trying to connect it to a PC? Blasphemy!

Storm
6th April 2012, 09:20
throw it in the sink perhaps?

Jag_Warrior
7th April 2012, 04:53
That's obvious it only works with the iStuff. Trying to connect it to a PC? Blasphemy!

Er, no... not at all. Until a few months ago, a PC is all I had to sync my iPod Touch. I haven't even transferred my iTunes library over to the Mac yet. My girl uses a MacBook Pro to sync her iPhone and iPad. I still use a PC (Windows XP). As far as I know, my life isn't any worse than hers when doing that.

Sorry I can't answer Knock's question. But I haven't tried to do that yet. But once he authorizes the new(?) PC or Mac, wouldn't a backup do the trick, or am I confused?

7th April 2012, 18:40
-bump-http://www.camcorderdcr.com

BleAivano
14th April 2012, 07:42

Not to defend Apple, but I find the iPod a treat to use compared with the (numerous) previous mp3 players I've used over the years :mark: .

Oops, sorry, perhaps this should have been posted in the current Apple-bashing thread :s tareup:

nah i disagree, i used to have a Creative Zen Vision M and it was much easier to use then the ipod i currently have.
You could just connect it to the computer (pc) and use explorer to copy the songs (like any other USB memory or External harddrive)
but you also had the option to use the software suite that came with the player but it wasn't mandatory like itunes is for i-devices.

pino
14th April 2012, 11:43
Nokia has the best way to transfer songs, you connect your mobile to your PC, open you library, move each album or song to it...voila'. iTunes is probably the only thing I hate about my iPhone ;)

schmenke
16th April 2012, 15:33
Nokia has the best way to transfer songs, you connect your mobile to your PC, open you library, move each album or song to it......

But that is exactly what iTunes does.

pino
16th April 2012, 15:50
But that is exactly what iTunes does.

Not exactly, you must transfer all your albums/songs from your library to iTunes first then you can add them to your iPhone so you can't do much without iTunes ;)

schmenke
16th April 2012, 16:09
Not exactly, you must transfer all your albums/songs from your library to iTunes first then you can add them to your iPhone ...

Sure, but that is a one-time task. Once that’s accomplished iTunes is merely a library manager, one that functions quite well in my opinion. New tracks added, either by ripping from a cd or purchased, are automatically added to the iTunes.

I can’t believe I’m actually trying to defend Apple :uhoh: :p :

BleAivano
16th April 2012, 17:03
Sure, but that is a one-time task. Once that’s accomplished iTunes is merely a library manager, one that functions quite well in my opinion. New tracks added, either by ripping from a cd or purchased, are automatically added to the iTunes.

I can’t believe I’m actually trying to defend Apple :uhoh: :p :

you still have to sync it and ONLY with one itunes at the time. With nokia/Creative you can add files/songs from unlimited
number of computers without the need for a program. Just open windows explorer and transfer the files to the mp3 player.
with ipod you are forced to use itunes and if you use it on another itunes you will either replace the library on the ipod or the library in itunes.

schmenke
16th April 2012, 17:31
you still have to sync it and ONLY with one itunes at the time. With nokia/Creative you can add files/songs from unlimited
number of computers without the need for a program. Just open windows explorer and transfer the files to the mp3 player.
with ipod you are forced to use itunes and if you use it on another itunes you will either replace the library on the ipod or the library in itunes.

Um, o.k., I guess if you don’t want to maintain a media library, iTunes isn’t for you :)

My music files reside on an external hard drive that can be accessed either by our home desktop or the wife’s laptop, via our home wireless network.

We sync music files to two iPods, my Touch and my daughter’s Nano, from the one shared library. My daughter typically syncs using the laptop as that’s where she saves her iTunes settings. I have my settings set on the iTunes copy on the desktop that I use to sync to my Touch.