PDA

View Full Version : Indycar TV coverage ABC and NBC Sports

pjracer
2nd April 2012, 15:57
I would like to discuss the TV coverage of Indycar. I have seen no improvemet in the coverage and find the main "announcers" Marty Reid (ABC) and Bob Jenkins (NBC Sports) to be just plain inept!
Jenkins fumbles with names, mis identifies cars and is horribly boring and seems completely unexcited about racing.
Just listen to Bob Varsha, Leigh Diffey and the great Paul Page. They all know a lot about racing and have some excitment in their voices. Listening to Reid and Jenkins fumble through a broadcast sounds like they are reading a script and not keeping up with what's going on out on the track and in the pits.

heliocastroneves#3
2nd April 2012, 16:35
I think Bob Jenkins is kind of annoying, but I like Jon Beekhuis (and not because of his last name which is Dutch, he probably has a Dutch background seeing his last name). I wish Robbie Buhl would make a comeback to NBC anyway. And for ABC? Honestly I prefer Scott Goodyear instead of Marty Reid. Of course both cannot even get close to Paul Page.. Man, I wish that man came back as a lead commentator on ABC. I'm used to listen to the boring and awful Dutch commentary, so I don't have to complain that much about the IndyCar coverages on NBC and ABC.

numanoid
2nd April 2012, 17:07
Wally and Jon are great. They can see strategies and they can see when a car is getting squirrelly on the track. When they see close calls they get vocal about it (just like I do) so it feels like they are watching the same race and enjoying it. I don't dislike Bob, but he had a rough day yesterday. Messed up names (my wife and I still say "Kevin Briscoe" to each other all the time as a joke), misspoken words, etc just happened too much.

Overall I think they do a great job. Miller even had a rough start as well, but I hope to hear more of him as the season continues. I think Bell was a nice addition and it's always nice to get a current driver's perspective on something. Wheldon showed it was a success so I'm glad Bell can do the same.

One thing I really liked seeing happened towards the end of the race. Two small packs of cars were running near each other. As the first group went through a corner without incident, the cameraman started panning on them to complete his shot. Just as he started to pan, the second group entered the corner and a pass was happening. The cameraman saw it, stopped his pan and moved back to the pass to get it. Unfortunately the control booth had likely already counted down for the next camera to kick in so the shot was cut before the pass was complete, but it was nice to see the camera person paying attention and tossing the script to focus on some action.

pjracer
2nd April 2012, 17:45
I don't have a big problem with the "color commentators". I like Beekhuis - he knows racing especially the tech side of it but the main guys , Jenkins and Reid seem like they are announcing a "rowing competition", no offense to rowers! It seems that they both try way too hard to be "calm" which translates to "Boring" not to mention how Jenkins couldn't tell the difference between Rahal's car and Franchitti's car! He also said about four times that Barichello was driving a 2 tone blue car as if he was trying to remind himself which car was Ruben's. I started to make a list of all his mistakes but gave up after a while especially when Jenkins said "Helio Castro" was leading the race while later saying that Castroneves was fighting back in the pack (mistaking Castroneves for another car). Reid and Jenkins just keep on making the same mistakes and don't get any better!

numanoid
2nd April 2012, 17:57
I don't have a big problem with the "color commentators". I like Beekhuis - he knows racing especially the tech side of it but the main guys , Jenkins and Reid seem like they are announcing a "rowing competition", no offense to rowers! It seems that they both try way too hard to be "calm" which translates to "Boring" not to mention how Jenkins couldn't tell the difference between Rahal's car and Franchitti's car! He also said about four times that Barichello was driving a 2 tone blue car as if he was trying to remind himself which car was Ruben's. I started to make a list of all his mistakes but gave up after a while especially when Jenkins said "Helio Castro" was leading the race while later saying that Castroneves was fighting back in the pack (mistaking Castroneves for another car). Reid and Jenkins just keep on making the same mistakes and don't get any better!

Yeah, the Helio Castro thing was at the beginning of the race!

Some others that I remember:

Grand Pee (misspoke Prix)
De Simona...

heliocastroneves#3
2nd April 2012, 18:39
Grand Pee (misspoke Prix)
De Simona...

I laughed my a** off when he said those two. :D

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd April 2012, 21:02
Wally and Jon are great. They can see strategies and they can see when a car is getting squirrelly on the track. When they see close calls they get vocal about it (just like I do) so it feels like they are watching the same race and enjoying it. I don't dislike Bob, but he had a rough day yesterday. Messed up names (my wife and I still say "Kevin Briscoe" to each other all the time as a joke), misspoken words, etc just happened too much.

"Katherine's leg car is in the gravol!" :)

NBC should get Bob Varsha. With Jon and Wally they would be the perfect trio!

Missed Lindy Thackston as well. But overall an excellent broadcast. Great sound, great camera work (the cars seemed fast) and covering all the action.

Marbles
3rd April 2012, 01:08
JB and WD are strong and Jenkins, as much as I hate to admit it, he's put in his years and overall, he doesn't detract from the goings on. He's actually giving us some light moments. There's others I'd like to see there but the ship appears to be on a pretty steady course. If I had a choice between Reid or Jenkins at Indy, I'd choose Jenkins.

Get started on your Jenkins-isms!

The NBC crew blows ABC out of the water.

00steven
3rd April 2012, 03:55
I cut Bob some slack since he has been around for so long in the world of racing. He's aged, but I still think he belongs in the booth.

garyshell
3rd April 2012, 06:21
Jenkins over Reid ANY DAY!

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
3rd April 2012, 09:12
Jenkins for sure DOES belong in the booth but not as a lead commentator, the same counts for Marty Reid.

FIAT1
3rd April 2012, 12:48
Paul Page and Rick Benjamin are two best who can call the race with excitement for two hrs, even when race is a dud. Beekhuis in the mix and that would be my choice, or someone like that. I was watching last race with frends who are not in to racing as much, but when Robin was doing pits they where all intrigued. When he passed by Dario and said he is praying,but is to late we all burst ou laughing. They even asked is he a comedian? I said ,sometimes he could be. I think they should give him more air time as that segment brings everyone to the action on the track right before the race and he is very good. Oh yeah, they all going to Mlwaukee for some racing 101.

heliocastroneves#3
3rd April 2012, 13:06
Robin Miller is also very important indeed. He made me laughing out loud so many times... I dunno but since then; When I see just his face on TV, I already think: "How funny he'll be this time?" :D

Great to read that you're going to Milwaukee with your friends FIAT1, I'll try to go to Milwaukee with my girlfriend and maybe some other friends... It's a little hard when you live in The Netherlands, and already have planned your holidays for another period... But I wanna give it a try anyway, I've never been to The Mile before.. A bit of a shame. :(

DBell
3rd April 2012, 19:02
I would like to discuss the TV coverage of Indycar. I have seen no improvemet in the coverage and find the main "announcers" Marty Reid (ABC) and Bob Jenkins (NBC Sports) to be just plain inept!
Jenkins fumbles with names, mis identifies cars and is horribly boring and seems completely unexcited about racing.
Just listen to Bob Varsha, Leigh Diffey and the great Paul Page. They all know a lot about racing and have some excitment in their voices. Listening to Reid and Jenkins fumble through a broadcast sounds like they are reading a script and not keeping up with what's going on out on the track and in the pits.

I like Leigh Diffy. I know he's at Speed, but I've always thought he does a good job when I've seen him. It would be great to see him in Jenkins place for IndyCar.

Marbles
4th April 2012, 01:05
I like Leigh Diffy.

He gets little mention but I like him as well. Except for that incredibly wrong, almost unexplainable gaff* at that Grand Am race in Montreal a couple of years ago, he's pretty solid.

*The leading car ran out of gas at the last corner and a Porsche roared by to take the win but he still called the other car as the winner. You had to see it.

DBell
4th April 2012, 14:46
He gets little mention but I like him as well. Except for that incredibly wrong, almost unexplainable gaff* at that Grand Am race in Montreal a couple of years ago, he's pretty solid.

*The leading car ran out of gas at the last corner and a Porsche roared by to take the win but he still called the other car as the winner. You had to see it.

No, I didn't see that. Maybe I'll see if I can find it on youtube.

Leigh fills in for Bob Varsha at F1 races a handful of times a year for Speed. He does a very nice job when he does, and though I like Bob Varsha, I don't miss him much because of the job Leigh does.

nigelred5
6th April 2012, 14:53
I always liked Paul Page. It seemed like he was the voice of indycars for several years, no matter whether he was on NBC, ABC or ESPN. I can't find any of the CBS broadcasts to remember if he called their coverage as well. I know he's done a lot of NHRA the past few years. I just know it will be a snoozefest when I have to listen to Marty Reid and scott Goodyear do the ABC races.

Jag_Warrior
7th April 2012, 20:59
I always liked Paul Page. It seemed like he was the voice of indycars for several years, no matter whether he was on NBC, ABC or ESPN. I can't find any of the CBS broadcasts to remember if he called their coverage as well. I know he's done a lot of NHRA the past few years. I just know it will be a snoozefest when I have to listen to Marty Reid and scott Goodyear do the ABC races.

So many people used to say that they didn't like Page. But I agree: he was the "voice of IndyCar" once upon a time. And love him or hate him, there is no doubt that the man had a huge amount of sincere enthusiasm for the sport. My feeling on Reid is that he probably reviews his checking account to make sure his paycheck has cleared before he'll call a race. I just don't sense that the man has any real interest in this sport... outside of getting paid.

I would LOVE to see Paul Page come back, at least for the ABC/ESPN races. I haven't watched any NHRA this year. Does Page still do that series?

00steven
9th April 2012, 01:04
So many people used to say that they didn't like Page. But I agree: he was the "voice of IndyCar" once upon a time. And love him or hate him, there is no doubt that the man had a huge amount of sincere enthusiasm for the sport. My feeling on Reid is that he probably reviews his checking account to make sure his paycheck has cleared before he'll call a race. I just don't sense that the man has any real interest in this sport... outside of getting paid.

I would LOVE to see Paul Page come back, at least for the ABC/ESPN races. I haven't watched any NHRA this year. Does Page still do that series?

Yes,Paul is still doing NHRA for ESPN. I wish he could come back.