PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused. Please help "unconfuse" me.

Jag_Warrior
1st April 2012, 20:46
A couple of questions:

1) I heard Tagliani say that he had saved all of his red tires for the race, and that's what he was going to run all race long. Then I heard Jenkins or Beekhuis say that at some point during the race, both compounds had to be used. Personally, I thought it was great that I/C was allowing the teams to use whichever set, one or the other or both, as they chose. But which is right? Do they have to use at least one set of each or not???

2) I heard Katherine Legge described as a rookie by Jenkins. Yet, it seems that I/C has incorporated other facets of CART and CCWS into its own record books. I've heard something about a mini-controversy concerning Barrichello wanting to be classified as a "rookie". So unless Jenkins has it mixed up, how is Legge classified as a rookie, and Barrichello (who has never driven in ANY North American series AFAIK) not?

3) Are sections of the Indy Car site still not working, or is it my browser that's not allowing me to pull up videos or go to the tech section?

Thanks in advance.

gm99
1st April 2012, 21:12
ad 1) no idea.

ad 2) I have been wondering the very same thing. Pagenaud and Legge both have a full season of Champ Car behind them, yet are classed as rookies, Barrichello isn't, although he lacks any Indy-type racing experience. Nigel Mansell was a rookie in CART in 1993 despite being the reigning F1 world champion. Bourdais wasn't classed a rookie in IndyCar last season, was he? This seems totally arbitrary.

ad 3) It's definitely not your browser...

DBell
1st April 2012, 22:06
Hi Jag,

1) They have to use both compounds during the race. I think Tags was refering to the fact that he had 3 sets of new red tires and given that the race has 3 pitstops, he would use them all. Most of the others had some sets of reds that were partially used. With 3 pitstops, that's 4 sets of tires used in the race and one of the stints has to be with blacks.

2) I don't understand the who's a rookie and who's not thing either.

3) I haven't tried their site, but your complaint isn't the first I've heard about it.

Mad_Hatter
1st April 2012, 22:12
2) I'm guessing they chose to go out on a limb an not classify Rubens a rookie based on his F1 experience.

3) The new site sucks.

FIAT1
1st April 2012, 22:22
Confused? This is not a good place to get uncofused.

FormerFF
2nd April 2012, 03:55
Based on her Champ Car experience, I would say Kat Legge is not a rookie. Based on her performance in the last two races, I would say "Indycar Rookie" would be a step up.

call_me_andrew
2nd April 2012, 04:12
The site isn't planned to be complete until the Indy 500, and that's a good idea because....

heliocastroneves#3
2nd April 2012, 10:15
I don't understand why Barrichello is not classed as a rookie. Everyone who's new in the IZOD IndyCar Series has to be classed as a rookie. It doesn't matter if you drove CART or F1 in the past. CART was completely different and F1 IS completely different to the IZOD IndyCar Series. I'm already getting tired of people comparing IndyCar to Formula One and CART, but not classing a driver as a rookie because he drove 19 years in F1 is.... Bulls***. Anyway; I will call him a rookie for this complete year because he actually is a rookie, despite he's not classed as a rookie. Comparing CART and F1 to IndyCar is just the same as comparing apples and pears. :D

FIAT1
2nd April 2012, 13:57
Comparing CART and F1 to IndyCar is just the same as comparing apples and pears. :D

CART was Indycar if I remember and I remember Nigel Mansell was called rookie at a time when he took whole field to racing school. Means nothing, Indycar,cart,champcar is same thing to me now and take a look at a field and you will find all of the above. Every driver needs some udjustments to find what is all obout but if you compare for example Ed Carpenter veteran or Rubens the rookie, well call him what you want ,but we all know who is a rookie don't we. Does it real matter? Apple and pears are very similar in texture and most people like both but orange is whole onother thing.

garyshell
2nd April 2012, 15:33
CART was Indycar if I remember and I remember Nigel Mansell was called rookie at a time when he took whole field to racing school. Means nothing, Indycar,cart,champcar is same thing to me now and take a look at a field and you will find all of the above. Every driver needs some udjustments to find what is all obout but if you compare for example Ed Carpenter veteran or Rubens the rookie, well call him what you want ,but we all know who is a rookie don't we. Does it real matter? Apple and pears are very similar in texture and most people like both but orange is whole onother thing.

But there is more to the distinction of a rookie than just the name isn't there? Don't rookies get extra track time in certain situations? I don't know the details, but remember something being said about that before. Plus I think "rookie of the year" honors have some $$$ attached, no?

Gary

Jag_Warrior
2nd April 2012, 19:55
I don't understand why Barrichello is not classed as a rookie. Everyone who's new in the IZOD IndyCar Series has to be classed as a rookie. It doesn't matter if you drove CART or F1 in the past. CART was completely different and F1 IS completely different to the IZOD IndyCar Series. I'm already getting tired of people comparing IndyCar to Formula One and CART, but not classing a driver as a rookie because he drove 19 years in F1 is.... Bulls***. Anyway; I will call him a rookie for this complete year because he actually is a rookie, despite he's not classed as a rookie. Comparing CART and F1 to IndyCar is just the same as comparing apples and pears. :D

But as FIAT1 said, CART was IndyCar before the IRL was, and was then simply folded into CCWS. And CCWS was folded into the IRL (through the "mergification")... which has now become the IndyCar Series. CCWS didn't scrub the record books clean when it acquired CART's assets. And unless the ICS is going to go back and scrub all references to a driver's accomplishments while racing in CART and/or CCWS (wins, polls, etc.), how would one, logically, be able to call a CCWS (or even a CART) driver a "rookie"... especially while calling an F1 driver a veteran? It just makes no sense whatsoever.

This is what NASCAR has done so incredibly well: create a solid link to its past and its heritage. It celebrates both - and it works. By doing silly things like this, the ICS is just running the risk of further disenfranchising "veteran" fans... or maybe I'm a "rookie" fan. :confused: Judges??? :D

Jag_Warrior
9th April 2012, 21:15
Well, at least this makes more sense than the previous decision.

IndyCar Grants Rubens Barrichello Partial Rookie Status (http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7792490/indycar-grants-rubens-barrichello-partial-rookie-status)

Associated Press

Formula One veteran Rubens Barrichello (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=301) will get some of the benefits of other first-year IndyCar drivers.
IndyCar said Monday that Barrichello will receive an extra set of tires and be allowed to practice in Group 1 of the first session along with other rookie drivers at road/street courses where he hasn't tested. He will get the extra tires and track time at all ovals.
The Brazilian driver will have to complete the Rookie Orientation Program like all drivers competing in the Indianapolis 500 for the first time.
Barrichello is a 19-year veteran of Formula One, who won 11 races and made a record 322 starts. He has argued that he is "definitely a rookie" because he's unfamiliar with most tracks. He won't be eligible for rookie of the year honors.
Barrichello is scheduled to take his oval rookie test on May 6 at Texas Motor Speedway, the day before the Open Test. He tested at Infineon Raceway Monday.
He is tied with Dario Franchitti (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=56) at No. 10 in the points standings after two races. He finished 17th at St. Petersburg and eighth in the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama. Drivers outside the Top 10 and rookies get the extra set of tires and 30 more minutes on the track.
Beaux Barfield, IndyCar's president of competition, had earlier determined that Barrichello was not a rookie based on past precedent and the level of experience.
Barrichello joined best friend Tony Kanaan (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=1&driverId=45) on the KV Racing Technology team this season.