PDA

View Full Version : French GP to Euro Disney?

call_me_andrew
27th March 2007, 07:03
From about.com (yeah, when did they become useful?):

The Euro Disney theme park outside of Paris has been cited as possible venue for a change of location of the French Grand Prix. In today's issue of the French auto racing magazine, AutoHebdo, in an interview with Bernie Ecclestone that took place last weekend, the Formula 1 promoter reveals that the French Grand Prix could move from Magny-Cours to a Paris location as early as 2009.

Magny-Cours is well hated by the teams and many journalists, and well, just about anyone who has sat in traffic jams for several hours trying to go the last couple of miles into the circuit. The track is in the middle of farm country with few hotels and an unfinished highway, so it is not nearly as easy to attend the race as most of the other venues.

"The tendency with the new races is to bring F1 as close as possible to the public and in an exceptional decor, with all the necessary facilities at hand," said Ecclestone, in my translation from the French. "The economic benefits of a French Grand Prix 'of Paris,' the world's No. 1 tourist destination, would be exceptional, both for France and for F1. And the teams wouldn't drag their feet anymore to go there!"

He told the magazine that plans were underfoot and that he wouldn't hesitate to agree as soon as something more advanced was proposed to him. He said they might even consider doing something like canceling the French Grand Prix of 2008 in order to start off on a better foot in 2009. AutoHebdo said that its sources have told it that the two most likely settings for the race are either Versailles or EuroDisney - where, naturally, there is no lack of parking lots and hotels....

Of course, I'm wild about this idea, because it would mean that for once I would be able to stay at home and go to a race at the same time!

And to think Michael Schumacher called Indy's roval "Mickey Mouse".

ShiftingGears
27th March 2007, 08:28
Hope its better than Magny-Cours.

Ian McC
27th March 2007, 08:44
Hmm, wonder who is going to want to come up with the cash for a brand new circuit?

Dave B
27th March 2007, 11:01
Pluto chicane? Goofy corner? Donald Duck Dip? Good lord.

CharlieJ
27th March 2007, 11:04
I know F1 is a bit Mickey Mouse, but really...................................

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

V12
27th March 2007, 13:51
I'd rather see them build some scenery and grandstands at Paul Ricard and go back there...

Easy Drifter
27th March 2007, 17:58
Heuy, Dewey and Louie Duck. BE has gone quackers!

Erki
27th March 2007, 23:17
I'd rather see them build some scenery and grandstands at Paul Ricard and go back there...

Actually depending on the viewpoint, there is quite a bit of scenery at Ricard. I used to hate the place because its big runoffs and no grandstands and stuff but as its name says, it's primarily a test track anyway.

courageous
29th March 2007, 21:10
The Indy Racing League used to race at Disney in the US (can't recall which one - it's a racing school now run by Richard Petty I think).

Never mind car parking facilities, Eurostar has a station in the complex so you can eat drink and be merry without worrying about getting home!

Of course, it is a stupid suggestion that would never happen.

Addicted
30th March 2007, 00:23
They create more and more these stupid headlines just to keep F1 up on frontpages. Who really believes these rumours that says track to be in Moscow downtown, EuroDisney!

Just waiting announsement of Grand Prix of Eurotunnel, it could be double GP of France and GB.

call_me_andrew
30th March 2007, 08:34
The Indy Racing League used to race at Disney in the US (can't recall which one - it's a racing school now run by Richard Petty I think).

It's at Disney World in Florida. It's main problem is parking as it shares a lot with the Magic Kingdom. And since the Magic Kingdom is open 7 days a week, visitors for the Magic Kingdom would sometimes be forced to park at Epcot. There hasn't been professional racing at the track since 2000.

I think Richard Petty runs his driving school as a franchise. Walt Disney World Speedway is just one of 24 tracks that host the driving school.

Observer7
31st March 2007, 16:33
Just waiting announsement of Grand Prix of Eurotunnel, it could be double GP of France and GB.

Raced on Le Shuttle between Coquilles and Folkstone?

Well, trafficwise Eurodisney would be good, since it is on the fringe of the Paris metropolitan agglomeration, 40 minutes by public transport from the center of Paris, has a train station for high speed trains from the north and south of France, also via the Channel Tunnel from London. So it is much easier to reach than the current site in the middle of nowhere.

O7

BeansBeansBeans
31st March 2007, 19:52
Apparently David Coulthard was asked for his thoughts on this.

He said he Disney think it will happen.

harvick#1
31st March 2007, 20:17
I still think they should race at Lemans :D

DimitraF1
1st April 2007, 00:07
i dont understand where are they going to race? in the disney land roads?
i have never been there ,so anyone who can help me to understand how this race may be

andreag
1st April 2007, 00:55
Take a look to Disneyland France:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=disneyland+france&layer=&sll=40.396764,-3.713379&sspn=10.805574,19.423828&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=48.869994,2.794003&spn=0.020353,0.053988&t=k&om=1

Now zoom out and look for empty places to place a track; there's a lot.

And now cross your fingers so Tilke will be busy, maybe we're lucky.

The Disney way would be making a pool of well known experts (from "History and Nostalgia"), including a french WDC, a german WDC, a british WDC, a finish WDC, and so on to get an international packet of Disney ambassadors/designers to help to make a great track (the best ever, as Disney likes).

I know is all a bluff, but it would be better than Magny Cours and better than any Tilke design.

ChrisS
1st April 2007, 01:07
i dont understand where are they going to race? in the disney land roads?
i have never been there ,so anyone who can help me to understand how this race may be

I'm guessing they are going to built a race track.

keep in mind, Disneyland isn't just the theme parks is a resort with hotels, golf courses, etc...

if you look at the map posted, everything within the circle plus the golf course and a few other places outside the circle are part of Disneyland

aryan
1st April 2007, 05:42
Take a look to Disneyland France:

I know is all a bluff, but it would be better than Magny Cours and better than any Tilke design.

Do we still hate Tilke this much even after Istanbul? :D

Euro Disney seems like a nice idea, I have never been there but it seems like a prime location to hold a grand prix. It has all the facilities you need already there (hotel, transportation, etc.) minus a track of course. If they can come up with the money to build a new track and make it ready for 2009, I will not waste any tear over the loss of Mangy Cour. Let's face it, we all hate that track, whatever Tilke comes up with can't be worst than that.

ClarkFan
1st April 2007, 05:51
Is this the track?

http://history.amusement-parks.com/Disneyland/Rides/autopia.jpg

:D

ClarkFan

DimitraF1
1st April 2007, 11:23
thanks for ur help!

andreag
1st April 2007, 14:34
Is this the track?

ClarkFan
Oooops; overtaking can be a little bit difficult on this track.

Easy Drifter
1st April 2007, 17:03
Watched a show that had Tilke as one feature. He supposedly takes his inspiration for track design from the old 'ring. They showed him driving around it. I don't know what part of the 'ring he gets his ideas from but it must be the pit straight! :D

Dazz9908
5th April 2007, 12:03
Is this the track?

ClarkFan
:laugh: