PDA

View Full Version : Engine specific questions!

Marbles
1st April 2012, 18:24
I've kept in touch with and glossed over the new car thread so perhaps I missed it but!

What are these engines doing? Other than managing HP between RC and Oval I've found little info. What is the rev limit? What is the boost? Are all engines treated equally? Is engine development frozen once the season starts? Are Lotus teams doomed for the rest of the year or will Indycar put a knee out for them? Is it all transparent or little man behind the curtain stuff?

A single link will suffice.

Thank you in advance.

Mad_Hatter
1st April 2012, 22:17
INDYCAR: Tech Bosses Provide Updates On Engines, Electronics, Aero Kits (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tech-bosses-provide-updates-on-engines-electronics-aero-kits/P1)

I think this article addresses a couple of your questions.

RPM max is set at 12k unless I'm mistaken. An update is scheduled for June, but the engines down on power will only be allowed to make up 2.5% was the last I read. The rule set seems fairly transparent.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Marbles
2nd April 2012, 02:26
Thanks a lot. Good read.

Anti-stall is there if you want to risk it! Still in beta. Cheat on boost and you get auto-throttled (rev-limited) by the ECU. Awesome but I'd hate to have my ECU get confused. P2P on the table but no one has actually given it any thought. Good! It may not be needed (and I'm not a fan of it) after seeing the Barber race.