PDA

View Full Version : Houston Reliant Park on the 2013 schedule

heliocastroneves#3
29th March 2012, 14:20
Houston Reliant Park will be on the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series schedule. The last time an open wheel race has been held there, was in 2007, when Champ Car drove there.

Houston, we have liftoff for October 2013 event (http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/March/3-28-Houston-added-to-2013-schedule)

Another possible races for the future are: Circuit of the Americas, Phoenix International Raceway, Pocono Raceway, Road America, Richmond International Raceway, Portland International Raceway, a new road course in Palm Springs and street races in Chicago and Fort Lauderdale.

anthonyvop
29th March 2012, 21:42
Good news. Makes up for the debacle that is getting Milwaukee back on the schedule.

Only problem is that it is close to the date for the F1 race in Austin.

DBell
29th March 2012, 23:57
I wonder if this will be the same layout as CC or if Cotman will tweak it. I was always lukewarm on this race in the CC days.

It does make me think about the future of the Texas oval in IndyCar. It was just last fall that Gossage said if IndyCar schedule a race in Houston, then they may lose interest in IndyCar. With IndyCar talking with the new F1 track about a date, it does make me think that Texas Speedway's days hosting an IndyCar race are numbered. I can't believe they would have 3 races in Texas. Maybe they finally got tired of Gossage's mouth running all the time. It will be no loss for me as I don't care for this track and the pack racing it produces, but the oval lovers may be in for some bad news down the road.

00steven
30th March 2012, 01:22
I love the direction this series is headed!

heliocastroneves#3
30th March 2012, 13:48
It does make me think about the future of the Texas oval in IndyCar. It was just last fall that Gossage said if IndyCar schedule a race in Houston, then they may lose interest in IndyCar. With IndyCar talking with the new F1 track about a date, it does make me think that Texas Speedway's days hosting an IndyCar race are numbered. I can't believe they would have 3 races in Texas. Maybe they finally got tired of Gossage's mouth running all the time. It will be no loss for me as I don't care for this track and the pack racing it produces, but the oval lovers may be in for some bad news down the road.

They would be brainless, if they would replace the beautiful 1,5 mile high banked oval with a boring Tilkedrome. Because of what happened in Vegas, there's no need to ban pack racing. Because we all know the pack racing in Chicagoland and Texas is limited, and is not half as dangerous as it is at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. If they really want to avoid pack racing, then they have to reduce the front wing downforce. ;)

IndyCar should remain on the real circuits, and shouldn't even try a Tilkedrome of nowadays.. If they want some of the circuits where F1 is driving on today, they should go to Montreal or New Jersey.

I have to say; I'm glad that potential races for the future are Pocono Raceway, Phoenix International Raceway, Richmond International Raceway and Portland International Raceway. Also I hope they can organize a street race in Chicago. :)

garyshell
30th March 2012, 15:20
IndyCar should remain on the real circuits, and shouldn't even try a Tilkedrome of nowadays.. If they want some of the circuits where F1 is driving on today, they should go to Montreal or New Jersey.

I have to say; I'm glad that potential races for the future are Pocono Raceway, Phoenix International Raceway, Richmond International Raceway and Portland International Raceway. Also I hope they can organize a street race in Chicago. :)

As much as I love street races, I think I'd rather see them race as a "Tilkedrome" with a wide track and nice runoff areas than a concrete canyon that MOST (operative word being MOST) street circuits give us. I think the actual racing at the former would be much better than the latter.

Now having said that, I would totally embrace the idea of a street race in Chicago if, and only if, we were assured of a track that would not just allow for passing but facilitate it.

I am not sure why you hate the modern F1 tracks so much.

Gary

00steven
31st March 2012, 01:29
I think it's safe to say you've never been there or you wouldn't include it. The place is not even close to being in a condition to host these cars. It's almost too bumpy for NASCAR, these cars would be everywhere but straight.

They are getting a repave though.

Mark in Oshawa
1st April 2012, 06:09
Starter, Pocono has had a ton of money put into it, and with a repave, it is an option. Would be the best??? Maybe......We need to keep a good portion of ovals in the circuit for historical reasons and the reality that the key to this series is a variety of tracks . That is is what made CART unique and led to its zenith around 93 or so....

As for Texas, the argument that it and Chicago are different than Vegas (Mister Heliofan) is specious. They are all tracks that lend themselves to packs....and while I don't mind one or two of them, to me the flatter ovals put on a FAR better show. Phoenix and New Hampshire were my two favourite ovals outside of Indy back in the day....

Dr. Krogshöj
1st April 2012, 10:36
Why October? Isn't Reliant Park home to an NFL stadium?

FIAT1
1st April 2012, 13:58
Starter, Pocono has had a ton of money put into it, and with a repave, it is an option. Would be the best??? Maybe......We need to keep a good portion of ovals in the circuit for historical reasons and the reality that the key to this series is a variety of tracks . That is is what made CART unique and led to its zenith around 93 or so....

As for Texas, the argument that it and Chicago are different than Vegas (Mister Heliofan) is specious. They are all tracks that lend themselves to packs....and while I don't mind one or two of them, to me the flatter ovals put on a FAR better show. Phoenix and New Hampshire were my two favourite ovals outside of Indy back in the day....

I think oval pack racing is not racing at all and ndycar should never go back to that type lunacy. I agree that we have to have more ovals for balance, but at a same time it would be very bad idea to pick up any oval for sake of schedule. Last thing they need is empty aluminum on some track in the midle of nowhere that has two nascar dates. Michigan, Nashville or Dover would be much better choice. Road America is way to go before any other track period.