PDA

View Full Version : Indy test..

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 17:46
Indycar will test new car on April4 at a speedway. Great idea for many reasons..

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2012, 17:50
Well after seeing it finally race, it is now the time to see what it can do with a Speedway package....

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 19:10
One car per team only. Anyone know why?

FIAT1
31st March 2012, 23:35
Lotus will not test.Hmm?

Mark in Oshawa
1st April 2012, 06:01
One car per team is to make it fair to all teams. Lets face it, Ganassi and Penske could afford 3 cars and get 3 times the data in the same amount of time. As for Lotus teams not testing, cash likely and their engine is so far behind they are likely scared of the bad publicity. That whole effort seems woefully underfunded.

FIAT1
3rd April 2012, 12:20
Big day tomorrow...220?

heliocastroneves#3
3rd April 2012, 13:14
Well... I'm probably one of the few guys who don't care about it, if they would go flatout on Indy. As long as I see some great racing, I'm happy. (Driving flatout is even not easy when you're driving 3-wide, so it would be still a challenge for the drivers then), but if they really can't go faster than 220 mph, they could reduce the front wing downforce right? Less front wing downforce could have avoided the whole Las Vegas Motor Speedway tragedy and instead of not returning to the oval (which I can understand for this year anyway), they should find a solution. And the solution is simple; Give the cars less front wing downforce.

Also I'm a little concerned about the Lotus engine on the ovals, as they have less HP then Chevy and Honda.

Phoenixent
4th April 2012, 03:51
I am excited a little bit on this test as we are in a little bit of unknown territory with the changes they did on the DW12.

As for Lotus I don't think they will make it to The 500 as their engine supply is shrinking fast and there is a couple of more races before Indy's couple of weeks running. Look for ICS biggest PR nightmare with Lotus bowing out before Indy....

DBell
4th April 2012, 14:33
That had been my fear ever since they didn't have enough engines for testing. They are a weak and over extended partner at best. Isn't it Judd who is actually building the engines? I've never been impressed with anything they've done in the past.

I agree. The writing on the wall isn't looking good at all regarding Lotus. Everyone gets mesmerized by the Lotus name, but that's all it is anymore, a name. Colin Chapman was Lotus and when he passed, so too did the real Lotus.

I'll give Judd a little slack. I'm sure he'd do a reasonable job if he had a reasonable budget. I'd bet what he's done so far is on a sliver of the budget Chevy and Honda have at their disposal.

DBell
4th April 2012, 15:10
Remember when we were asking why Lotus and KV and Cosworth weren't getting together? Now we see why. After a couple of years of dealing with Lotus, Kalkovin could probably see through the smoke and mirrors.

00steven
5th April 2012, 01:22
Marco fastest at 218 mph in RACE trim.

tillyvick14
5th April 2012, 01:44
Weak..... Maybe the boost should be increased to compensate since there aren't anymore major aero changes that can be made before May I wouldn't think. At least the car is more drivable now, maybe with additional boost and better aero kits next year we can get back to the speeds the fans want to see.

call_me_andrew
5th April 2012, 03:11
1 26 Andretti, Marco D/C/F 218.625
2 11 Kanaan, Tony D/C/F 218.439
3 10 Dixon, Scott D/H/F 218.094
4 3 Castroneves, Helio D/C/F 216.942
5 4 Hildebrand, JR D/C/F 216.641
6 18 Wilson, Justin D/H/F 213.753
7 14 Conway, Mike D/H/F 212.767
8 15 Sato, Takuma D/H/F 212.573
9 20 Carpenter, Ed D/C/F 207.518

AussieV8
5th April 2012, 06:59
I reckon IndyCar will make sure Lotus lasts until the Indy500 is over because of the PR disaster it would be to only have 15 cars or whatever show up for the 500. After that, wait and see I guess.

BTW, why does it have to be 220mph before people are happy. I doubt you could tell the difference if somebody didn't say what the average speed was.

Given that the time was done in race trim, I suspect the pole time will be 220mph anyway

Phoenixent
5th April 2012, 07:11
I reckon IndyCar will make sure Lotus lasts until the Indy500 is over because of the PR disaster it would be to only have 15 cars or whatever show up for the 500. After that, wait and see I guess.

Penske already mention that ICS was talking to Honda and Chevy about having engines to cover the Lotus teams but RB denied that story. Which means that ICS has had talks but RB does not want anyone to know. I expect that there will only be two manufacturers in at Indy before qualifying.

FIAT1
5th April 2012, 12:23
Penske already mention that ICS was talking to Honda and Chevy about having engines to cover the Lotus teams but RB denied that story. Which means that ICS has had talks but RB does not want anyone to know. I expect that there will only be two manufacturers in at Indy before qualifying.

I think speed will go up as engine for Indy is in. Developement and competition is what we want. I think racing was destroyed in past years by trying to slow cars down. They will be close to last years numbers and drivers are stating that race will be faster. Lotus, well ,they have plan B with Honda and Chevy. Month of May will sure have a story for a change.

DanicaFan
5th April 2012, 14:30
Personally, Im very disappointed in the times.

Phoenixent
6th April 2012, 05:30

Well if they use the DW12 for the next seven years the teams will have a lot better handle on the car like they did with the last Dallara. New engines, electronics and chassis leads to drivers and teams feeling out the package during a test. We will see in the month of may.....

FIAT1
6th April 2012, 13:12
[quote="Phoenixent"]Well if they use the DW12 for the next seven years the teams will have a lot better handle on the car like they did with the last Dallara.

Indycar needs to open up competition and have others build cars, and that would be even more exciting and create more interest.That's what Indy was ,a place of inovation and competition. That's what brings real talent, prestige, company's with money and creates engineering minds playground . Having a same car for long time would be a disaster.

DBell
6th April 2012, 15:02
As for Lotus I don't think they will make it to The 500 as their engine supply is shrinking fast and there is a couple of more races before Indy's couple of weeks running. Look for ICS biggest PR nightmare with Lotus bowing out before Indy....

The dominoes may be beginning to tumble for Lotus. They have pulled the plug on their F1 sponsorship deal.

Lotus F1 team committed to name despite end of title sponsor deal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98628)

Some more detail on the Indy test. They hit 218 with a tow and were struggling to hit 216 by themselves. They didn't run a lot of miles because they are using their LB engines, so still a lot of tweaking to setups can be done. Most important thing to the drivers is the car feels more stable.

Speed breakdown reveals different priorities at Indy test - Racer.com (http://www.racer.com/speed-breakdown-reveals-different-priorities-at-indy-test/article/235400/)

INDYCAR: Andretti Hits 218.6 At Indy Test (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-andretti-hits-2186-at-indy-test/)

garyshell
6th April 2012, 17:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eic8hJu0sQ8

Gary

Phoenixent
6th April 2012, 17:35
Indycar needs to open up competition and have others build cars, and that would be even more exciting and create more interest.That's what Indy was ,a place of inovation and competition. That's what brings real talent, prestige, company's with money and creates engineering minds playground . Having a same car for long time would be a disaster.

I agree with you 110% on opening up competition and have others build cars. Dallara has been a POS for years but anyone with enough money and time can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Phoenixent
6th April 2012, 17:43
The dominoes may be beginning to tumble for Lotus. They have pulled the plug on their F1 sponsorship deal.

Lotus F1 team committed to name despite end of title sponsor deal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98628)

I knew that was going to happen on Lotus you could see it from the start.

Some more detail on the Indy test. They hit 218 with a tow and were struggling to hit 216 by themselves. They didn't run a lot of miles because they are using their LB engines, so still a lot of tweaking to setups can be done. Most important thing to the drivers is the car feels more stable.

Speed breakdown reveals different priorities at Indy test - Racer.com (http://www.racer.com/speed-breakdown-reveals-different-priorities-at-indy-test/article/235400/)

INDYCAR: Andretti Hits 218.6 At Indy Test (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-andretti-hits-2186-at-indy-test/)

That's not bad for teams just feeling everything out on the car right now. May could be very interesting at the old Brickyard. We might have low to mid 220's for qualifying on pole day. It's amazing that most don't know that the speed drop off when a new package comes in to play then pick back up the following year.

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2012, 18:26
I was hoping for 225 to 230's actually. The original idea I thought was to have enough power that the drivers would have to pedal these cars at a place like Indy. It sounds like they are tuned out and running flat out....and the power is down from where we were hoping. HOWEVER...and this is key, I do believe that as time goes on, these cars will evolve, and the boost will go up....so that will be at least something to look forward to. It's Indy, it will be better than not having Indy!!!! (Indy 500 is the roots of the sport...so at 218 I will live with it!!)

00steven
12th April 2012, 04:52
These engines need to last thru Brazil, so we weren't going to see them go full force. Expect faster times in May.

FIAT1
8th May 2012, 14:21
IndyCar tests reveal slower speeds - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/auto_racing/view/20120508indycar_tests_reveal_slower_speeds/srvc=home&position=recent)

I think speed is ok for the start of development and by next year will be much faster or by the race time this year.

FIAT1
8th May 2012, 14:53
Barrichello labels first IndyCar oval test at Texas a 'truly awesome' experience - IndyCar news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99436)

I love when the man keeps ego in check and gives his honest assessment and I think is good pr for oval type of racing.

heliocastroneves#3
8th May 2012, 16:21
Nice to see he likes the racing on ovals. Now I think he will really fall in love with it, when he runs 3-wide on the high banks of TMS. :)

FIAT1
9th May 2012, 18:32
"They look like Indy cars, sound like Indy cars, race like Indy cars," Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage said. "The car looks kind of cool, more bodywork to it and you can see them better

Read more: IndyCar tests new car at high-banked Texas - Racing - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120508/indycar-test-texas/#ixzz1uOW8NSQt)

Now we can all be at ease. He likes it! I really deslike this dude.

00steven
9th May 2012, 19:11
"They look like Indy cars, sound like Indy cars, race like Indy cars," Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage said. "The car looks kind of cool, more bodywork to it and you can see them better

Read more: IndyCar tests new car at high-banked Texas - Racing - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120508/indycar-test-texas/#ixzz1uOW8NSQt)

Now we can all be at ease. He likes it! I really deslike this dude.

Me either, he comes across as a two-faced *******.

FIAT1
12th May 2012, 23:59
Fact: The top three drivers from Opening Day are all graduates of the mazda road to Indy and Indylights.

FIAT1
24th May 2012, 01:20
oops