PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile

mlewis1825
28th March 2012, 15:00
Not even a sign at the Milwaukee Mile track or ticket office. No newspaper ads so far. Other than a couple of articles, no one would know there is a race in only a month and one-half. Good luck.

BobGarage
28th March 2012, 17:45
no one would know there is a race in only a month and one-half. Good luck.

two and a half months ;-)

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 17:51
Not even a sign at the Milwaukee Mile track or ticket office. No newspaper ads so far. Other than a couple of articles, no one would know there is a race in only a month and one-half. Good luck.

Don't forget to buy a tickets!!!

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2012, 18:04
What is it with Milwaukee and their promotors sucking so much wind??

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 18:11
What is it with Milwaukee and their promotors sucking so much wind??

Everything is fine. I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2012, 18:45
FIAT, on the contrary, someone needs to lose sleep over it. In Milwaukee, the track is on the fairgrounds, which are owned by the local governments. Promotors come in, promote the race, and try to make their money back. With two months to go, they haven't done anything apparently. Well, this is a race that has in the last 10 years gone from a popular stop for fans from one forgotten about. NASCAR dropped the track it because their fan base was dropping off as well. When you have a poor economic climate (anyone who has been to this part of the world knows it has been effected by the economic downturn) means you have to promote and work to get sales.

Milwaukee, in many ways MORE than Indy is the root of this sport, and is the oldest track probably in the world now. It is where these cars are actually shown to their best light also. WE need this race to be economically viable. Handing the reigns of this race over to people who are just going to give us half filled stands wont cut it.

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 19:24
FIAT, on the contrary, someone needs to lose sleep over it. In Milwaukee, the track is on the fairgrounds, which are owned by the local governments. Promotors come in, promote the race, and try to make their money back. With two months to go, they haven't done anything apparently. Well, this is a race that has in the last 10 years gone from a popular stop for fans from one forgotten about. NASCAR dropped the track it because their fan base was dropping off as well. When you have a poor economic climate (anyone who has been to this part of the world knows it has been effected by the economic downturn) means you have to promote and work to get sales.

Milwaukee, in many ways MORE than Indy is the root of this sport, and is the oldest track probably in the world now. It is where these cars are actually shown to their best light also. WE need this race to be economically viable. Handing the reigns of this race over to people who are just going to give us half filled stands wont cut it.

Michael Andretti is doing it right way with good sponsors like Morcus and with a passion for the track as yours and mine with good weather and anbeatable pricing we going to pack the place and have us one helluva race. He had Indyfest plastered on his cars if you seen camera shots during the race at st.P

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 20:11
That might get the already race fans in. You still need at least 50% local attendance to make it work. And if the locals don't know about it enough in advance to get excited and buy tickets, well.......

I agree with you, but race is still more then two monts away and with credible people involved I wouldn't push panic button, that is all I'm saying.

FIAT1
30th March 2012, 02:07
Take 5 with IndyCar's Michael Andretti - Milwaukee - The Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2012/03/take-5-with-michael-andretti.html)

I believe!!!

Mark in Oshawa
1st April 2012, 06:05
FIAT, it better happen as well as it should..because this track deserves better, and we fans of the sport need to hear a good news story.

FIAT1
8th May 2012, 14:37
Marcus Hotels & Resorts Announces Milwaukee IndyFest Festivities and VIP Package - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/marcus-hotels-resorts-announces-milwaukee-indyfest-festivities-and-vip-package-2012-05-08)

I have worked for Marcus when I was in the ski industry. Great company! I have a great feeling for this year race.

FIAT1
8th May 2012, 17:17
Anyone intersted going to Milwaukee race look up special activities schedule on the internet, including concerts and specials from sponsors of the race. Graham Rahal is organizing a bus tour from Indinapolis also if anyone wants to come. I think this race will be great.

heliocastroneves#3
8th May 2012, 18:11
I would love to, but I'm already going to Indy, Texas and Fontana.... Milwaukee is definitely something which I will keep in mind for the future... I live far from the United States, so for me it's not so easy to go to Milwaukee and taking some extra holidays.... And my girlfriend and I already decided to go to Indy, Texas and Fontana, even before Milwaukee was announced. But as I said, maybe we're going to The Mile next year. :)

FIAT1
24th May 2012, 01:28
Michael Andretti Wednesday chat transcript - JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/152226005.html)

Not just any blue, royal blue. I hope it looks good.

FIAT1
24th May 2012, 01:29
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/152226005.html

Phoenixent
24th May 2012, 15:53
The Milwaukee Mile is one track that the Indycar community needs to work at keeping for as long as there is Indycars. The Mile shows which drivers are the best in Indycars and always has. Thanks Michael Andretti for stepping forward to save this event. I would love to go to the race if I was not so far away but will try to plan my vacation next year to fit it in.

FIAT1
29th May 2012, 20:19
Testing today!!! Can't wait.

FIAT1
30th May 2012, 19:58
Making the Milwaukee Mile distinctive for IndyFest - JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/154254055.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst)

FIAT1
1st June 2012, 13:58
Schedule | Welcome to Milwaukee IndyFest (http://www.milwaukeeindyfest.com/schedule.html)

Friday free and Indylights race is that day. Can't beat that.

FIAT1
5th June 2012, 14:37
Hinchcliffe is throwing out 1st pitch at Brewers vs Cubs game tonight. There will also be two Indy cars outside the stadium to check out!

numanoid
5th June 2012, 19:42
Hinchcliffe is throwing out 1st pitch at Brewers vs Cubs game tonight. There will also be two Indy cars outside the stadium to check out!

Wow, that's a nice touch. Whether it generates interest or not, it's leaps and bounds better than last year. I'm getting excited for race day. Indy was amazing, but it was too busy to get up close and personal with the drivers.

Mark in Oshawa
6th June 2012, 08:16
Hinch is a one man promotional trip..he was in Toronto Monday to hype the race here...(and get some home cooking I suspect).

booger
6th June 2012, 20:09
So why is everyone all revved up for Milwaukee anyway? They have ONE local sponsor and Mikey just plugged in many of his Indycar sponsors to make it look better. I bet he also has the advantage of not paying a sanction fee too. And, don't forget that Randy has been intimating that the China race may be replaced by Road America. Mikey didn't like that idea at all. If you've been to the Mile and Road America, you already realize there is no comparison between the two, Road America wins hands down. So are we going to have politics rule as far as having a race at RA?...I sure hope not.

Mark in Oshawa
7th June 2012, 19:04
So why is everyone all revved up for Milwaukee anyway? They have ONE local sponsor and Mikey just plugged in many of his Indycar sponsors to make it look better. I bet he also has the advantage of not paying a sanction fee too. And, don't forget that Randy has been intimating that the China race may be replaced by Road America. Mikey didn't like that idea at all. If you've been to the Mile and Road America, you already realize there is no comparison between the two, Road America wins hands down. So are we going to have politics rule as far as having a race at RA?...I sure hope not.

You can say Road America wins hands down (and I would concur as a road racing fan) but I think if the series has committed to Michael Andretti saving the race at the Mile, and trying to make it into something, then it would be utter stupidity and biting a hand that feeds you to announce in a week China is off and you are moving the date to Road America. Talk about kicking a partner in marketing and promotion right in the nuts.

Wisconsin could likely support both. IF all those oval fans out there (Tony George kept telling me in 95 and onwards that the oval fans of Indycar were not properly served) then Milwaukee should come back. I love short oval racing almost as much as road racing and I would go to Milwaukee to see the oldest race track in modern racing in a heartbeat. That said, the event needs to prove itself one way or the other now, and you cannot just plop in a date in Road America on short notice without knowing if it would kill Milwaukee. The history and tradition of racing here with OW cars is part of the roots of the sport, and the series asked Michael Andretti's promotional group to be their partner saving the race. Considering they run Baltimore, St. Pete's and Toronto, it would be wise to let them find out what they can do to salvage part of the abused history of the sport.....

That China date?? I wish they could find another track to host a race but I don't know of many places you could just plop that in. All I know it isn't going to Road America for the same reasons they wouldn't put it at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is the sponsored name...which I hate using) because that would hurt Toronto's gate.

anthonyvop
8th June 2012, 04:02
I hope I am wrong but I can find no reason for the Milwaukee race to be a success.

No reason for a significant jump in attendance or TV ratings.

heliocastroneves#3
8th June 2012, 11:12
I'm a fan of both oval and road/street racing and I'm also having my doubts whether this race is going to be successful or not. It's going to be enjoyable for sure and it's killing me I can't be there. :(

And what Anthony says indeed "No reason for a significant jump in attendance or TV ratings", I hope he is wrong but I think he is right about that.. What race would be able to make a better attendance and TV ratings? Once Kentucky, Chicagoland, Homestead and Watkins Glen were all successful races but they're all off the schedule due to bad attendance and probably bad TV ratings as well. If they promote it right, then this race should be a successful one but that's easier said than done I guess.

FIAT1
8th June 2012, 14:09
Hmm, for every positive in this sport there is allways a group of doom and gloom philosophers. Well, I dislike ovals, but I'm going there with my frends for more than 20 years and will give my support again, therefore I think I will earn authority to bitch about it.

heliocastroneves#3
8th June 2012, 14:25
Hmm, for every positive in this sport there is allways a group of doom and gloom philosophers. Well, I dislike ovals, but I'm going there with my frends for more than 20 years and will give my support again, therefore I think I will earn authority to bitch about it.
I'll prefer to combine positiveness with realism. Although I would love to go over there and it would be great if the race would be successful in terms of attendance and TV ratings, we don't know whether it's gonna have a good attendance and good TV ratings...

I'll go to Belle Isle in 2013, I think... I would like to finally visit a street race, IndyCar is having a schedule with different type of race tracks and so my schedule will be like that. This year I go to 3 ovals, maybe I'll visit road/streets only next year.

I hope you'll enjoy the Milwaukee race. :)

anthonyvop
8th June 2012, 16:50

You call it "doom and gloom"...I call it being realistic and questioning moves that obviously haven't worked.

Now this is real "gloom" and a possible "doom"

IndyCar Earns 0.7 on ABC: Sunday’s IndyCar Series Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix drew a 0.7 overnight rating on ABC Sunday afternoon
TV Ratings: Mets (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06/tv-ratings-mets-no-hitter-earns-4-18-rating-also-indycar-french-open/)

That was with all the so-called "momentum" generated from the Indy 500 the week before.

And don't blame it on the Randy Bernard Vs. Some owners controversy. The Casual fan had no clue it was even happening.

FIAT1
8th June 2012, 17:36
[quote="anthonyvop"]You call it "doom and gloom"...I call it being realistic and questioning moves that obviously haven't worked.

...questioning moves that obviously haven't worked? There is man who is spending money to make it work and is building back a race that was great at one point in time. I could see it your way and buried before it started or go and support a race, the man ,series and enjoy myself, having me a brewski on beatiful day in Milwaukee with frends that share same passion. I hope you tune in to help ratings, that woud be a plus. My way of positive thinking I like better!

heliocastroneves#3
8th June 2012, 18:21
There is man who is spending money to make it work and is building back a race that was great at one point in time. I could see it your way and buried before it started or go and support a race, the man ,series and enjoy myself, having me a brewski on beatiful day in Milwaukee with frends that share same passion. I hope you tune in to help ratings, that woud be a plus. My way of positive thinking I like better!
Being positive is very nice man, I like that too. But you know, sometimes it's a little hard. I hope you're right and let this become a very successful event. :)

anthonyvop
8th June 2012, 18:32
You call it "doom and gloom"...I call it being realistic and questioning moves that obviously haven't worked.

...questioning moves that obviously haven't worked? There is man who is spending money to make it work and is building back a race that was great at one point in time. I could see it your way and buried before it started or go and support a race, the man ,series and enjoy myself, having me a brewski on beatiful day in Milwaukee with frends that share same passion. I hope you tune in to help ratings, that woud be a plus. My way of positive thinking I like better!

Enthusiasm and positive thinking are one thing but do you have any real reason to believe that Milwaukee will register a significant upturn on attendance and TV ratings this time?

Just got word that the Detroit race ended up with a 0.6 on ABC and a 0.2 on ESPN News.

A 0.6 a week after the Indy 500!!!!!

FIAT1
8th June 2012, 20:22
Enthusiasm and positive thinking are one thing but do you have any real reason to believe that Milwaukee will register a significant upturn on attendance and TV ratings this time?

Just got word that the Detroit race ended up with a 0.6 on ABC and a 0.2 on ESPN News.

A 0.6 a week after the Indy 500!!!!!

I don't know how attendance will be ,but I will be there to see it for myself before I make negative statement. Takes time to repair damage that was done ,but there is people who are traying to make this work ,and I will be part of it. To beat dead horse over and over does not serve me ,you or anyone else any good. We all know numbers are not perfect and there is many things to fix in Indycar ,but to criticize and nitpick everything all the time doesn't make sense neither.

anthonyvop
10th June 2012, 15:43
OK Tony. I'll buy that. You are now officially in charge of IndyCar - you've been hired to replace Randy.

What are the first five things you will do to change things, in descending order?

Over the years I have stated many times what I believe IndyCar should do to improve the product and save the series.

anthonyvop
11th June 2012, 02:23
To just briefly hit the top five would just be fodder for the haters and fan-boys. I'll have a full article prepared shortly

Mark in Oshawa
11th June 2012, 05:50
As usual, Tony is great at saying what is wrong, not great at what he would do right. Evading the reality is easy when you don't have to make the decision.

FIAT1
11th June 2012, 12:27
Ok oval fans , time to put up or shut up. Best oval race is on Saturday and is very reasonably priced, Friday is free. Don't cry foul when is gone because of lack of support, and if is gone this time after this type effort than I think it will never come back. Looks like weather will be good, I have started with 9 frends and they started talking at work and now I have 24 tickets in my hand and I think me and my passe will be noticeable in turn one. Can't wait!!!

booger
11th June 2012, 17:32
I do agree that it would be great if Milwaukee is successful again...but...according to a report on AR1's news page this morning, things aren't looking so good there less than a week out. And even Andretti is sabre rattling that if the event isn't successful, he'll pull the plug. That said, I think Andretti Sports Marketing has done a dreadful job of pre-selling this event. Consider this...no promotion in Chicago (an absolute necessity to put frogs in the seats to make this event work). During its hedday, as many fans came from Chicago as they did from all of Wisconsin, and sadly, it doesn't seem like Mikey and his company realized this. And, as I said in an earlier post, there are virtually no local sponsors signed (local sponsors help immensely in promoting an event). We'll see. A lot of factors to deal with...weather, walkup sales, other local events, etc. I hope it works, but I have my doubts.

booger
11th June 2012, 17:33
Oops! I meant "fibs", not frogs in the above post...but frogs would be ok too if they buy a ticket!

champcarray
11th June 2012, 18:08
Just found the definition of fibs on urban dictionary. lol.

FIAT1
11th June 2012, 18:28
Just found the definition of fibs on urban dictionary. lol.

Hey,that would be me! lol

FIAT1
12th June 2012, 15:28
Milwaukee IndyFest update | Welcome to Milwaukee IndyFest (http://www.milwaukeeindyfest.com/news/milwaukee-indyfest-update.html)

FIAT1
12th June 2012, 17:39
Milwaukee IndyFest update | Welcome to Milwaukee IndyFest (http://www.milwaukeeindyfest.com/news/milwaukee-indyfest-update.html)

http://youtu.be/mywVQBePSuY

booger
13th June 2012, 01:12
Interesting that the Mile has an ARCA race tonight with 80 cars entered. Drivers include Kenseth, his kid, Rusty Wallace, Sauter and others...hmmm...no wonder the local news didn't even mention Andretti's Indyfest, but he hasn't run any TV ads either. A major pr fumble. It's almost as if he doesn't want the race to succeed...What a bag of hot air when he championed that he was going to save Milwaukee. Methinks this race is under promoted, under sponsored, and under everything. When an ARCA race gets more publicity at the same track as an Indycar race, something is definitely wrong with the promoter's pr staff. Shame on them.

Mark in Oshawa
13th June 2012, 08:15
Booger, they rarely understand the local market. When they took over Toronto in the wake of the collapse of Champ Car, they dreadfully underestimated the promotional work needed to fill the stands, they made decisions that were not race fan friendly that the previous promotion hadn't, and they alienated many of the long time volunteers who are avid race fans who would work one or two of the three days and then buy tickets in the stands with their families, or were now bad mouthing them all over when they got screwed over by the new regime. That said, the Andretti's have more or less gotten the even back to some resemblence of its former self...but they had to go back and eat a little humble pie. I guess in Milwaukee, they are replaying some of the same mistakes...

booger
13th June 2012, 17:51
Actually it was an ASA race. Sorry for the misinformation on ARCA (same kind of series though) in my earlier post. And after reading this morning's newspaper report, they had a much larger crowd than they expected. They filled the center grandstand to overflow, ran out of food in the concession stands and put on a hell of a show according to the report and comments from fans that attended. That means they had over 10,000 fans in the infield and grandstand. Over 80 cars were entered. Did Andretti Sports Marketing even know that this event was planned just 5 days before their Indyfest event? And if they did, why not combine the 2 events so that stock car fans could see Indy cars and Indy car fans could see a stock car event. THAT would have been a sellout. Unfortunately, now I'm afraid that Indyfest may be doomed. Who, other than diehard fans, would pay to go to 2 separate events within 5 days at the same venue? There just isn't that much entertainment money laying around for Milwaukee families. Another Andretti mistake, I'm afraid. Just leave the mile to the stock car boys and head to Road America...Oops! There's a NASCAR race at RA next week. My, oh my.

FIAT1
13th June 2012, 18:02
INDYCAR: Make Or Break Weekend For Milwaukee (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-make-or-break-weekend-for-milwaukee/)

...at this point I could go through list of complaints ,but the best I can do is show up for the race and go from there

numanoid
15th June 2012, 01:45
Anyone go to the indyfest block party tonight? Wife and I came from the twin cities and our hotel is a block from the party. Met Michael Andretti and listening to a cover band. Lots of older indycars on display. Fair crowd turnout, but dwindling. Looks like andretti is doing local news interviews.

May not be perfect, but this is orders of magnitude over last year.

numanoid
15th June 2012, 03:47
Ticket booth guy at indyfest said about 30k tickets have been sold.