PDA

View Full Version : Some things that bother men about IndyCar street races...

zako85
28th March 2012, 10:07
I have tried to like IndyCar's street races many times, but they always disappointed me. Large cars designed for 220mph speeds on ovals clunk along narrow street corners in slow succession, bouncing like crazy due to uneven street surface. Little or no run-off areas result in frequent yellows. Yellows result in chaotic pit action that's hard to follow. Engines sound decidedly industrial (general comment)

F1boat
28th March 2012, 12:33
For me these are fun races. Ovals scare me, honestly, after last year :(

DBell
28th March 2012, 12:55
I thought you were presuming to speak for all men until I realized it was a typo. :p :

Everyone has their own taste. I stopped watching the banked ovals in 2010 because I found them boring. Milwaukee, Loudon, and Indy were the only ovals I watched last year.

The engines sound only so-so because they are limited to low revs. They are just starting to sound good when they have to shift up. If they could rev them to 14,000, then they would scream.

FIAT1
28th March 2012, 14:41
I thought you were presuming to speak for all men until I realized it was a typo. :p :

Everyone has their own taste. I stopped watching the banked ovals in 2010 because I found them boring. Milwaukee, Loudon, and Indy were the only ovals I watched last year.

The engines sound only so-so because they are limited to low revs. They are just starting to sound good when they have to shift up. If they could rev them to 14,000, then they would scream.

Agree, these cars sound better but could be better and should have more hp so they have something to pass with. Road and street racing is amazing at a track, with shifting ,braking, pushing to close to the wall and how close you can come to watch the race. There is nothing like car going by and wind in your face with your shirt blowing, the sound and smell of rubber and fuel . I do have to admit that tv doesn't do justice. I believe they should have cameras in the corners and other wall locations therefore people can see how great this is.

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2012, 17:52
I thought the broadcast from St. Pete's didn't do a bad job of showing the speed. I know after 5 years of not being at the Toronto Indy, I went last year and I had forgotten how much is lost by watching on TV.

anthonyvop
28th March 2012, 22:57
I have tried to like IndyCar's street races many times, but they always disappointed me. Large cars designed for 220mph speeds on ovals clunk along narrow street corners in slow succession, bouncing like crazy due to uneven street surface. Little or no run-off areas result in frequent yellows. Yellows result in chaotic pit action that's hard to follow. Engines sound decidedly industrial (general comment)

To each their own I guess.

For me even the worst street course is much better than any boring oval.....ANY!!!!

harvick#1
29th March 2012, 01:45
I thought the broadcast from St. Pete's didn't do a bad job of showing the speed. I know after 5 years of not being at the Toronto Indy, I went last year and I had forgotten how much is lost by watching on TV.

yeah, that is extremely true, but that is just about any racing series. following a car on camera is gonna make it look slow no matter how fast the car is going, only real judgement on how fast a car is going on tv is the in-car camera or what ever they wanna call the camera for open cockpit racecars

FormerFF
29th March 2012, 02:24
I like the way these cars look on camera. They look "tossable" and appear to be going fast. How they look in person I'll let you know on Monday.

zako85
29th March 2012, 03:43

But I was speaking for all men! I refuse to admit the typo ;)

F1boat
29th March 2012, 10:00
To each their own I guess.

For me even the worst street course is much better than any boring oval.....ANY!!!!

Well, the race at Indianopolis I think is always very, very interesting and the stakes are obviously very high. But generally I think that road courses are best, followed by street courses and ovals. And the new handsome cars, which look a bit like LMP open cars, I think that they will fit road courses better.

00steven
30th March 2012, 01:20
I find Street races exciting for the high level of skill involved, being on the edge to get the most speed lap after lap to make the strategy work to me is intresting. When passes do present themselves you often have to push extremely hard to get the job done.

Chamoo
30th March 2012, 15:01
Large cars designed for 220mph speeds on ovals...

Hate to nit-pick, but the DW12 was actually designed for road courses, street courses, and ovals. We are not talking previous versions of the Dallara that was designed for ovals and modified for the twisties.

elan 02
1st April 2012, 02:10
To fully enjoy street tracks you have to be there, maybe the whole week-end . Find all the cool spots and reallize the skill to take to drive that hard in a concrete jungle. Long beach will give you a feeling for speed. Stand there halfway down Lakeshore ,you'll get it. San Jose was another.
The sound and speed was awesome echoing through the tall building. You had to be there. Maybe TV is not the place to watch street tracks. Buy a ticket and GO!
20 straight years at LB

steveaki13
1st April 2012, 12:31
I prefer the Course races to Oval races personally, but the championship is made up of both so you need to succeed at both.

So not sure they are just built for Ovals (although I do not have huge Indy knowledge I must admit)

autoxwyer
11th April 2012, 08:15
yeah, that is extremely true, but that is just about any racing series. following a car on camera is gonna make it look slow no matter how fast the car is going, only real judgement on how fast a car is going on tv is the in-car camera recorder or what ever they wanna call the camera for open cockpit racecars

I agree, as the speed is do fast, we can hardly observe if not observe via video.

nigelred5
13th April 2012, 01:32
To fully enjoy street tracks you have to be there, maybe the whole week-end . Find all the cool spots and reallize the skill to take to drive that hard in a concrete jungle. Long beach will give you a feeling for speed. Stand there halfway down Lakeshore ,you'll get it. San Jose was another.
The sound and speed was awesome echoing through the tall building. You had to be there. Maybe TV is not the place to watch street tracks. Buy a ticket and GO!
20 straight years at LB

I agree. The sound of the cars going through turns 11 and 12, then accelerating onto the main straight betwen the buildings in Baltimore was just awesome.

Marbles
13th April 2012, 02:16
I'd put the Toronto street course up against any race track, street or otherwise. If the drivers can show the same amount of discipline and discretion that they've shown so far this season, something seriously lacking in years past, it could be that much better.