PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for me NOT to buy an Ipad?

A.F.F.
27th March 2012, 21:42
I'm tempted but not assured yet. Can you please tell me why it suck so I don't have to buy it?

schmenke
27th March 2012, 21:44
^

Ditto

:D

donKey jote
27th March 2012, 21:44
nope, sorry... same here :D

donKey jote
27th March 2012, 22:00
mobile surfing, photostore and film watching, without having to carry a heavy laptop or squint at a tiny phone?

A.F.F.
27th March 2012, 22:10
Why they have made all donkey mentioned so frigging easy to use ??? :(

I need a reason not to buy, other than bad eye from my wife

schmenke
27th March 2012, 22:13
I could have used a tablet this weekend whilst out of town, trying to access on-line content on the tiny screen of my iPod :s (although I did manage a couple of posts using Tapatalk :D )

Sorry A.F.F., I guess that doesn't help :rolleyes:

AndyRAC
27th March 2012, 22:32
Ha ha, I was the same.....and in the end I gave in....

Did I really need it? I have a MacBook, an iPod nano, iPodTouch and a HTC phone.....probably not.

GridGirl
27th March 2012, 22:33
Where is Denial when you actually want him? :p

Rollo
27th March 2012, 22:36
Prices in $AU:

$539 - iPad 2
$499 - Samsung Galaxy S2
$298 - Netbooks at Officeworks

The most obvious reason I can think of for not buying an iPad is Newcastle Brown Ale.
If you bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 you could also get 6 and a bit pints at our local. If you bought the cheapest netbook (which probably would fulfil every requirement you have of an iPad), you could also get 40 pints at our local. If you didn't buy an iPad at all you could get 89 pints.

I don't know about you but there's more fun to be had with your friends and having good craic with the help of 89 pints than there is from a device with slidy things and colours.

schmenke
27th March 2012, 22:43
^ beeronomics :up:

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:10
http://patelism.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad-vs-maxipad-super-absorbant.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:10
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/293474_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:11
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/367492_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:11
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/17909_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:13
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/25270_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:14
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/2560905_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
27th March 2012, 23:17
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/20312_700b.jpg

tfp
27th March 2012, 23:36
Love this thread :rotflmao:

My mate has two Ipads :s mokin: I have used them a few times. I've got an Iphone, and for that exact reason, wouldnt bother with an Ipad, they really are exactly the same!
You could get a really good laptop with the same money, and they do a lot more.
I'd say an Ipad was more of a novelty TBH, but everyone to their own!

Lousada
27th March 2012, 23:50
Apple makes fashion products. If you want a tablet for the functionality, there are better and cheaper models out there.
I thought a Skoda driver of all people should be aware of that, since Skodas are VWs for half the price. So ask yourself this: why am I driving a Skoda if I could drive a Volkswagen?? Apply the answer to that question to your ipad buying problem.

gloomyDAY
28th March 2012, 06:10
Don't buy one. Total rip-off.

If you're going to flush money like that down the toilet, then at least look for a laptop that has a Solid State Drive (SSD). Ultrabooks are very reliable, fast, and most importantly well-priced. iPad does look cool, but it just doesn't make any sense. I think you'll be much happier with the applications and speed of an ultrabook for a similar price.

*Written from an Apple Macbook*

odykas
28th March 2012, 08:02
What are the reasons to buy iPad?

I can't find any ;)

Mark
28th March 2012, 08:30
It ultimately comes down to price. Can you afford it? Simple as that.

Eki
28th March 2012, 09:38
I'm not into this tablet thing, I'll wait them to invent the pill.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2012, 11:05
I'm tempted but not assured yet. Can you please tell me why it suck so I don't have to buy it?

Go down to Costco and get yourself an Asus Zenbook. :up:

odykas
28th March 2012, 11:14
Tablets are useless.

You can get a laptop / netbook at the same price and do your work properly.

Dave B
28th March 2012, 11:24

Not really. I can afford an iPad but there are far better alternatives which offer much better value. That said, the iPad2 is a sensible price now provided you don't need much storage.

A.F.F.
28th March 2012, 11:38
Apple makes fashion products. If you want a tablet for the functionality, there are better and cheaper models out there.
I thought a Skoda driver of all people should be aware of that, since Skodas are VWs for half the price. So ask yourself this: why am I driving a Skoda if I could drive a Volkswagen?? Apply the answer to that question to your ipad buying problem.

I have driven a Touran for three last years ;) But only because Skoda didn't have such a model with space.

A.F.F.
28th March 2012, 12:05
People can live without certain products. I have a PC workstation at home so I could manage without my laptop. And I could use a basic phone without an internet option. I also didn't really need remotecontrol for my tv since I got feet. Or micro-owen because the normal owen does the trick, it's only a little bit slower. BUT I like gadgets like most men do ;) I can afford it but I wouldn't want to throw the money away. What I mean is that would I use it daily basis or get bored with it after a while? :mark:

Robinho
28th March 2012, 12:08
who is this owen and why is he so little (micro) ;)

A.F.F.
28th March 2012, 12:16
who is this owen and why is he so little (micro) ;)

Oops.... oven :)

EuroTroll
28th March 2012, 14:31

http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/varios/www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-302.gif You don't want an iPad. What you want is a beer. http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/varios/www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-302.gif

schmenke
28th March 2012, 14:50
But you can't do a lot of the things you can on a tablet and vice versa concerning certain uses. They are not useless at all. Why is there this assumption a tablet has to be used for work and to replace what you would use a laptop for? I'm amazed the market for such devices is as strong as it is when there are so many people who just don't understand them at all. I could say netbooks are useless as you might as well buy a laptop, or laptops are useless as you might aswell buy a desktop! Different needs for certain uses.

Exactly.
A tablet and a laptop serve different purposes.
That fact that I’m thinking of purchasing a tablet does not mean that I will get rid of our laptop.

schmenke
28th March 2012, 14:51
Before purchasing it would be useful to have a go with both devices, perhaps for a couple of weeks, to evaluate which is more suitable for my needs. The problem is that there is no way to “test drive” a device :mark: .

I’ve read several on-line reviews, including consumer reports, but quite frankly these aren’t much help as they rate both devices pretty much equal.
I can’t rely on opinions from users because they tend to be quite subjective. Both Apple and non-Apple users defend their purchases, often, quite fervently (I find this particularly true of the latter :mark: ).

Despite what has been mentioned in this thread, Apple seems to be the bigger seller in my neck of the woods. I know at least two people who own the iPad (2), and several that use iPhones, but no one that owns a non-Apple tablet.

Jag_Warrior
28th March 2012, 20:22
People can live without certain products. I have a PC workstation at home so I could manage without my laptop. And I could use a basic phone without an internet option. I also didn't really need remotecontrol for my tv since I got feet. Or micro-owen because the normal owen does the trick, it's only a little bit slower. BUT I like gadgets like most men do ;) I can afford it but I wouldn't want to throw the money away. What I mean is that would I use it daily basis or get bored with it after a while? :mark:

I don't have an iPad (or any tablet) yet. But from what I've seen, they are addictive. I scored some massive GBP (good boyfriend points) when I gave my girl the iPad 2 for her birthday last year. Her school system has been using the iPad series since shortly after they were first introduced... with MUCH success, I might add. It's apparently a great tool for educational settings. I haven't seen the new iPad with the Retina screen, but even the iPad 2 is a good media consumption device. So there's excellent build quality, a non-fragmented ecosystem, upgradeable OS and with iCloud, a way to store and retrieve data well above the physical storage of the device.

I can't remember if it's something that was said here or maybe I read it somewhere else. But I liked the analogy comparing the iPad vs. PC to a car vs. pickup truck. At least in rough terms, a pickup truck will do everything that a car can do, and then some. But in every day life, how much do most of us (truly) require the pickup truck?

Wait a minute! You wanted a reason NOT to buy one, right? Well... uh... if you buy a dumb, old iPad, you won't be able to send the money to me so I can take a needy child to the F1 race in Austin this year. With your generous gift, this little girl will get to see her first Formula One race. She'll even send you her picture. Now you might say, "hey, wait a darn minute... she doesn't look like a child!" Well, not now. But she used to look like a child. Like 30 years ago, she did. Don't get hung up on that though. Just think to yourself, I'm going to make a "little girl" happy. Oh yeah, and don't forget to kick in some money for a chaperone. I guess I could do it. I just give and give and give. So generous!

So do NOT buy that iPad. You'll make a little girl sad. :(

schmenke
28th March 2012, 21:08
...the physical storage of the device. ...

Which is severely limited :s .

I think if the iPad was available with expandable memory, I might purchase one tomorrow. However, limited to only 16GB (unless I want to dig deeper into my already severely depleted pockets for a higher capacity model) with no way to expand, I’m afraid Jag, that your poor “child” may not be able to enjoy live motorsport viewing for some time as I continue to sit on the Apple-Android fence for a while longer :D .

schmenke
28th March 2012, 21:11
... It's apparently a great tool for educational settings. ...

This seems to be true. All computers at my kid’s elementary school are fruity :mark:

ioan
28th March 2012, 21:18
What are the reasons to buy iPad?

I can't find any ;)

^ This!

ioan
28th March 2012, 21:19

Rather:

Can you afford to throw away money? Simple as that!

ioan
28th March 2012, 21:20
I'm not into this tablet thing, I'll wait them to invent the pill.

:rotflmao:

ioan
28th March 2012, 21:22
What I mean is that would I use it daily basis or get bored with it after a while? :mark:

Definitely bored after a while.

ioan
28th March 2012, 21:23
Exactly.
A tablet and a laptop serve different purposes.
That fact that I’m thinking of purchasing a tablet does not mean that I will get rid of our laptop.

Good boy! Because you'll definitely need your laptop if you want to do something.

I've got myself the first Samsung galaxy tab (the small one) for several reasons:

1. It was the smallest tablet available
2. It was cheaper
3. I thought I will really use it a lot

After 12 months:

1. I will get the Samsung Galaxy Notes, because it's smaller
2. I will get the Samsung galaxy Notes because it has a real touch screen that one can use for tasks that require precision, like smaller than 1 cm in diameter
3. I hope that the smaller size, combined with high enough screen resolution and a real touch screen, not the capacitive stuff, will finally give me what I first hoped to get

The one thing that the Galaxy tab does well for me was to read books on it, due to it's pocket book size it really is well suited as a reading device.

So why would I even think about getting an iPad which is 2x the size of the tab I have now, which is still to big to be really portable and has the same screen resolution?

Just my own experience.

CaptainRaiden
28th March 2012, 21:40
The bottom line is, if you've got $600 burning a hole in your pocket, go buy one. I can afford it, but I choose not to buy one. I can think of a 100 different much better, kickass gadgets to buy with $600. But hey, each to his own.

I have used a friend's iPad 2 for a week, and I just can't see any use of it in my daily life. It just doesn't fit anywhere in my office or home between an Android smartphone and a laptop. It's not small enough to take somewhere without some sort of a bag or a pouch, and not powerful enough to do the things I want to do or work with on a daily basis. If I wanna sit on the couch and look at photos, the laptop does that job quite well, thank you. To read e-books, I've got the Kindle, which lets me read books for long hours without bursting my eyeballs, something which the iPad's bright screen will do.

The on-screen touch based keyboard is impractical when it comes to preparing big documents or writing long emails. And as a PC gamer, none of the games I play are on either iOS or Android. Hell, they're not even available on Mac.

My Dell Inspiron plays full HD movies at 1920X1080 resolution via HDMI on a 42 inch screen, plays all the latest games like Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations, F1 2011, Battlefield 3, Call of Duty 3 etc. on full graphics on a 42 inch screen. The hardware is 10 times faster and the storage is 20 times more than whatever the iPad can manage. It lets me run the Adobe Creative Suite flawlessly + all the rest of the things the New iPad can do on a bigger screen, minus the touch interface.

And its cost? $600.

A.F.F.
28th March 2012, 22:05
I don't have an iPad (or any tablet) yet. But from what I've seen, they are addictive. I scored some massive GBP (good boyfriend points) when I gave my girl the iPad 2 for her birthday last year. Her school system has been using the iPad series since shortly after they were first introduced... with MUCH success, I might add. It's apparently a great tool for educational settings. I haven't seen the new iPad with the Retina screen, but even the iPad 2 is a good media consumption device. So there's excellent build quality, a non-fragmented ecosystem, upgradeable OS and with iCloud, a way to store and retrieve data well above the physical storage of the device.

I can't remember if it's something that was said here or maybe I read it somewhere else. But I liked the analogy comparing the iPad vs. PC to a car vs. pickup truck. At least in rough terms, a pickup truck will do everything that a car can do, and then some. But in every day life, how much do most of us (truly) require the pickup truck?

Wait a minute! You wanted a reason NOT to buy one, right? Well... uh... if you buy a dumb, old iPad, you won't be able to send the money to me so I can take a needy child to the F1 race in Austin this year. With your generous gift, this little girl will get to see her first Formula One race. She'll even send you her picture. Now you might say, "hey, wait a darn minute... she doesn't look like a child!" Well, not now. But she used to look like a child. Like 30 years ago, she did. Don't get hung up on that though. Just think to yourself, I'm going to make a "little girl" happy. Oh yeah, and don't forget to kick in some money for a chaperone. I guess I could do it. I just give and give and give. So generous!

So do NOT buy that iPad. You'll make a little girl sad. :(

First of all, GBP, :laugh: Brilliant.

Secondly, your story is truly a heartbreaking one so I just have to take in in consideration.

Valve Bounce
29th March 2012, 05:41
I saw 3 laptops with i7 CPU's at Costco (with impressive memory obviously) under AUD$1000. Possibly under$900 as I had my eye on the Zenbook.
BUT, I would like to know what the iPad can do that these laptops cannot.

Mark
29th March 2012, 08:40
I saw 3 laptops with i7 CPU's at Costco (with impressive memory obviously) under AUD$1000. Possibly under$900 as I had my eye on the Zenbook.
BUT, I would like to know what the iPad can do that these laptops cannot.

Higher resolution screen - this does NOT mean smaller text like the way Windows implements it.
Portable, light, long battery life.
Touch screen.

As for everything else the laptop will win.

Mark
29th March 2012, 10:47
True, if you are asking the question, which is better, iPad or this laptop - you are asking the wrong question.

Dave B
29th March 2012, 14:02
True, if you are asking the question, which is better, iPad or this laptop - you are asking the wrong question.

Exactly, they're different tools. It'd be like asking whether this spanner's better than that screwdriver.

janneppi
29th March 2012, 15:29

Actually, I think a better analogy is comparing an sportscar(ipad) to a family wagon(pc)
Sure, makes you feel cool, but it doesn't work as well in 90% of your everyday life. And if you have a beer gut and limited hair options in your head, you'll look like an idiot using one. :D

schmenke
29th March 2012, 15:51

I would go so far to say that if you are asking that question you probably don’t need a tablet :mark: .

schmenke
29th March 2012, 15:52
.... And if you have a beer gut and limited hair options in your head, you'll look like an idiot using one. :D

:mad:

Mark
29th March 2012, 15:52
I think for many people the reason to buy an iPad is because you want one. Rationality doesn't come into it.

schmenke
29th March 2012, 16:00
Sorta like marriage...

A.F.F.
29th March 2012, 21:13
I think for many people the reason to buy an iPad is because you want one. Rationality doesn't come into it.

Guys need toys! Period.

GridGirl
30th March 2012, 10:05
Because your daughter when old enough will become hooked. :p

donKey jote
30th March 2012, 10:51
I misread that at first :erm:

CaptainRaiden
30th March 2012, 12:48
Judging by the last 3 iPads, if you buy one now, there will be a new iPad 4 in 2013 and yours will become ancient in the span of two months.

Then you'd think you should have waited. But you'd give into the temptation of looking cool, and not lose bragging rights in front of friends anyway and buy that.

Then there will be a new iPad 5 in 2014 with a never before seen, revolutionary 6 core processor (which a lot of laptops have been using already) and people will go ape$hit and scream shut up and take my money.

race aficionado
30th March 2012, 17:52
Or just go out and buy yourself a bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone

Mark
31st March 2012, 17:00
But which one. There's so much choice.

A.F.F.
31st March 2012, 22:14
I think CaptainRaiden just gave me the best reason so far :up:

race aficionado
1st April 2012, 02:05
But which one. There's so much choice.

hmmmm . . . an iBike?

"groan!" :p :

gloomyDAY
1st April 2012, 05:29
iPad owners eat babies.

True story!

CaptainRaiden
1st April 2012, 11:31
Two months!!! I better start christmas shopping, did I miss the summer??!! :eek:

You're just jelly henners because your iPad is already ancient compared to the new one. :p

GridGirl
1st April 2012, 12:04
Henners wife bought the ipad3 so he already has the new one. Doh! :p

Go out and buy a bike? All the bikes we own (currently seven) individually cost more than the basic wifi 16gb iPad and some a hell of a lot more than the 64gb 3G ipad. Each bike has also been replaced with a new model by the manufacturer each year also. On this basis RaceA, I think it would be better to buy an iPad than a bike. LOL. :)

CaptainRaiden
1st April 2012, 12:12
Henners wife bought the ipad3 so he already has the new one. Doh! :p

Oops. My fault for not keeping up with the henners household news update. :p But don't worry, it will be ancient by this time next year.

Go out and buy a bike? All the bikes we own (currently seven) individually cost more than the basic wifi 16gb iPad and some a hell of a lot more than the 64gb 3G ipad. Each bike has also been replaced with a new model by the manufacturer each year also. On this basis RaceA, I think it would be better to buy an iPad than a bike. LOL. :)

Yeah, but a bike will keep you fit, whereas an iPad will make you fat, if what you wanna do is shuffle pics and refresh Facebook for hours sitting on the couch. ;)

OR maybe if you used the iPad properly to make healthy food...

XcIwXVKQjsQ

CaptainRaiden
1st April 2012, 13:21
Two months!!! I better start christmas shopping, did I miss the summer??!! :eek:

I forgot to add "two months from the release date of the iPad 4 in 2013."

But well, I guess people can justify spending $600 on a slightly upgraded toy every year. :p

airshifter
1st April 2012, 14:35
iPad owners eat babies.

True story!

Those babies come from the factories where they are worked 23 hours per day. Thus the iPad owners eating them are true humanitarians. :)

schmenke
2nd April 2012, 15:16
The Captain does have a point.
I can’t help but get the feeling that this latest iPad was rushed to the market, perhaps prematurely (the darn thing doesn’t even have a name or number designation :p : ).
It really is merely an upgrade of the iPad2, the major improvements being in the display resolution and camera, the two features, coincidently, in which Apple’s closest competitor, the Samsung Galaxy tablet, were superior.

schmenke
3rd April 2012, 15:19
... Waking up on a Saturday morning to find her sat up in bed playing with her new pride and joy ...

Cripes henners, what did she name it? :p :

tfp
3rd April 2012, 23:58
So AFF will you be buying an Ipad then? :D

A.F.F.
4th April 2012, 18:12
Not just yet tfp ;)

I have my eyes on another thing already :D

ioan
4th April 2012, 23:26
Not just yet tfp ;)

I have my eyes on another thing already :D

The iBike?!

A.F.F.
5th April 2012, 05:53
The next thing I have purchase is going to be iSummertyres for my car.

EuroTroll
5th April 2012, 08:53
The next thing I have purchase is going to be iSummertyres for my car.

In that case, I'd recommend Nokia over Apple. ;)

A.F.F.
5th April 2012, 09:13
Yes, maybe Lumia 205x55x16 :)

Mark
5th April 2012, 09:50
If work implements an iPad compatible VPN (which is looks like it might) and they buy me a 3G data card (which they say they would) I might get an iPad 4G (which only works with 3G)

GridGirl
5th April 2012, 13:04
Mark, I get the impression that you really want an ipad :p

Mark
5th April 2012, 15:31
Mark, I get the impression that you really want an ipad :p

You're right ;) .

Or do I, don't know really. It'll either be something which I love and use all day every day, or I'll use it twice and it'll go into a drawer. Not sure really. I did that with buying a desktop PC once, spent £600, used it 3 times and then not again for years. It wasn't too bad as it then was used for 2 years my wifes office and is now our main house PC, but still.

I think I like the idea of the 4.6" iPhone better, that or the 7.8" iPad rumoured.

ioan
5th April 2012, 22:26
...that or the 7.8" iPad rumoured.

Apple copying Samsung, who would have thought! :D
Big law suit looming in ... Germany! :laugh:

J4MIE
9th April 2012, 21:56
My dad was always against buying an iPad and has never been a fan of Apple, but he got himself an iPad 2 on a whim just before Christmas and seems to use it more or less every day, mostly for browsing the web and emailing. It's a lot quicker for that than his laptop, but he still shouts at it when it does something random (after he presses on the wrong thing ;) ). He also got himself a Galaxy Tab 10.1 through his work but has only used it a handful of times and prefers the iPad, whereas I much prefer the Galaxy but wish it had the iPad's calendar.

He did get himself an android phone 2 months ago and is slowly figuringout how to use it. He'll get there someday :dozey:

I would like to get myself a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but can't justify the cost of it so will have to do without. My phone contract for my Streak runs out at the end of May and I am looking forward to getting something else :D

schmenke
9th April 2012, 22:16
I just noticed that my mobile phone provider is currently offering a free XBox Kinect game console with sign-up for a three year data plan.
I may procure myself an iPhone sooner than I thought :p :
Mind you, I already have two XBox consoles :crazy: :erm:

GridGirl
10th April 2012, 11:52
Three year data plan? :eek: I thought that the standard two years here was more than long enough. Some providers in the UK have joint iphone and ipad data plans on two year contracts which spreads the costs of the devises somewhat rather thanhaving the initial huge outlay in costs of buying both devices. Do they not do similar things in Schmenke world?

schmenke
10th April 2012, 15:13
A typical data plan here is 3 years, although 2 or even 1 year contracts can be negotiated but you’ll pay more for the device. Most users opt for a three year plan simply to minimize the up-front cost of the device.
Yes, “shared” data plans are available where a set amount of data can be shared between multiple devices. The one that I’m contemplating for example is a “family plan” that would include up to 4 devices with 2GB of monthly shared data plus unlimited voice and long distance within Canada (plus a free Xbox :p : ).
Unfortunately I think Canadians pay some of the most expensive wireless fees in the civilized world. The family plan I’m looking at would cost about $150/month which would include 1 iPhone 4S (32GB) and two other “lesser” phones (one for Mrs. schmenke and one for the mum-in-law).
I can’t help but think a similar scheme would be far more affordable in the non-schmenke world :s

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 17:09
I bought Goodyear Ultragrips for my car so there's my iPad for a while....

But apparently I need a new phone pretty soon. iPhone or Lumia? :mark:

donKey jote
10th April 2012, 17:15
I bought Goodyear Ultragrips for my car
You bought Winter tyres in spring ? You are A Funny Finn :crazy: :p

Koz
10th April 2012, 18:10
Now, I know I have been Apple-hater for a long time...

In January, I needed a new phone... I wanted a Droid Razr, after a great deal of research I saw a lot of stuff about screen issues. I didn't want the Galaxy S2 because it didn't feel all that great in my hands.
So after much deliberation, I found myself a deal where I get an iPhone 4S for free. Battery life has been terrible so far (while using 3G), updates haven't fixed anything for me.
But overall, would you rather have a better phone with a fragmented operating system, where you don't know which apps will or won't work properly on your phone; or one that works perfectly out of the box?

Now, I decided to buy "the new" iPad for reading etc. so far it has been rather disappointing, WiFi on it is terrible. I can barely get a connection (1 bar) at my garage, less than 10 metres away from my router, the iPhone has 3 bars here and my laptop has ~75-80% signal strength.

iPhone, if you will be relying on 3G a lot, perhaps look elsewhere, the battery will drain very, very quickly.

pino
10th April 2012, 18:28

Mate you know I've had Nokia's for years, and after I was almost forced by members of my Family to switch to iPhone, I can easily say I've never had a better mobile. Biggest surprise for me was...audio quality :eek: :up: So if I were you I would go for the iPhone 4S ;)

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 18:47
You bought Winter tyres in spring ? You are A Funny Finn :crazy: :p

Four springs, four tyres :up:

Ultragrips are summertyres.

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 18:48
iPhone, if you will be relying on 3G a lot, perhaps look elsewhere, the battery will drain very, very quickly.

Can't drain quicker than my current N97. One halfmarathon with Sportstracker on and the battery is dead :mark:

donKey jote
10th April 2012, 19:06
Ultragrips are summertyres.
maybe in Finnland, here they're Winter tyres ! :p

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 19:10
Mate you know I've had Nokia's for years, and after I was almost forced by members of my Family to switch to iPhone, I can easily say I've never had a better mobile. Biggest surprise for me was...audio quality :eek: :up: So if I were you I would go for the iPhone 4S ;)

Members of your family? All of them or just the kids? ;)

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 19:11
maybe in Finnland, here they're Winter tyres ! :p

:D :up:

Koz
10th April 2012, 19:14
Can't drain quicker than my current N97. One halfmarathon with Sportstracker on and the battery is dead :mark:

My father has both, I could ask him if you like?

pino
10th April 2012, 19:25
Members of your family? All of them or just the kids? ;)

All of them...dogs included ;)

A.F.F.
10th April 2012, 20:53
All of them...dogs included ;)

Rölli and Lilli also insisted that you should buy an iPhone? :D

How I train Little Hulk to do the same?

pino
11th April 2012, 13:07
Invite someone who owns an iPhone ask him to play a track and voila' ;)

J4MIE
11th April 2012, 22:18
I am looking to get a phone that doesn't need data access. Is that too old fashioned these days? :s
I am perfectly happy with my sony walkman for music, does that mean I still don't need an iPhone ? :D

A.F.F.
11th April 2012, 22:22
I am looking to get a phone that doesn't need data access. Is that too old fashioned these days? :s
I am perfectly happy with my sony walkman for music, does that mean I still don't need an iPhone ? :D

No but you probably need a lot of c-cassettes and batteries.

12th April 2012, 11:05
Ipad
http://www.littleabout.com/cim/the-ipad-egg.jpg

gadjo_dilo
12th April 2012, 11:05
An Ipad is also good to do something useful for your dear ones. Romanians are famous for being creative so look what one of us is doing with his Ipad. Use it like a fan for his skewers.

Dacă ar fi învins cancerul, Steve Jobs ar fi murit când ar fi văzut asta! Un ţăran foloseşte iPadul la grătar - Nu o să crezi ce face cu el! | Cancan (http://www.cancan.ro/actualitate/intern/daca-ar-fi-invins-cancerul-steve-jobs-ar-fi-murit-cand-ar-fi-vazut-asta-un-taran-foloseste-ipadul-la-gratar-nu-o-sa-crezi-ce-face-cu-el-215895.html)

:laugh:

Mark
12th April 2012, 11:11

Nokia still do lots of "phones that suck" if you want that :D

schmenke
12th April 2012, 14:37
Nokia still do lots of "phones that suck" if you want that :D

He can have mine... :erm:

janneppi
12th April 2012, 17:34
My work phone is a Nokia somethingsomething from 2004 or 2005 I think, no fancy data access or distractions, get's over a week of battery life, and most importantly, no email. :D
Pretty much perfect for my workday needs.

ioan
12th April 2012, 19:01

Good choice.

If you really need one then Samsung Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Note. If you don't really need a new one, keep the old.

ioan
12th April 2012, 19:05
My work phone is a Nokia somethingsomething from 2004 or 2005 I think, no fancy data access or distractions, get's over a week of battery life, and most importantly, no email. :D
Pretty much perfect for my workday needs.

I envy you.

J4MIE
12th April 2012, 21:10
"Phones that suck", yes I like the sound of that. Much less complicated :up:

Mark
13th April 2012, 09:43
Well just go to Tesco and pick one up for like £20.

Jag_Warrior
16th April 2012, 20:49
Don't buy one! It's a "gateway spending drug". You innocently start with an iPad, and the next thing you know, you'll be trying to put one of these on your credit card! :eek:

http://img248.imagevenue.com/loc369/th_605768130_iPadyachtadastra_11348044_122_369lo.j pg (http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=605768130_iPadyachtadastra_11348044_ 122_369lo.jpg)

iPad-Controlled Super Yacht Controlled Puts Your RC Boat to Shame

The iPad can control all kinds of devices, from your Apple TV or remote desktop or AR.Drone (http://www.pcworld.com/article/203906/the_ardrone_an_ipadcontrolled_toy_helicopter_on_st eroids.html), to slightly more bizarre things like a robotic prison guard (http://www.pcworld.com/article/253713/forget_robocop_roboguard_patrols_korean_prisons_fo resees_trouble.html). Given that, it was only a matter of time before someone used it as part of an overall badass project, like the Adastra Superyacht (http://www.john-shuttleworth.com/adastra.html). The $15 million Asastra Superyacht is a 139-foot-long yacht built by Hong Kong billionaire Anto Marden and yacht designer John Shuttleworth. The boat itself looks futuristic, but the coolest part is that you (or someobody) can control it using an iPad. With the iPad control system, someone can guide the yacht from up to 164 feet away.
We imagine it's a bit like controlling a toy boat, only it's friggin' huge. The chassis of the 47 ton superyacht is made out of carbon fiber, with a glass and Kevlar foam sandwich hull. Adastra can travel at its optimum speed of 17 knots--which is around 20mph--for up to 4,000 miles.
While we don't know much about what's onboard, it would be interesting to see what other tech the boat uses. A fully automated wet bar, perhaps?
Visit the designer's website to check out the full image gallery (http://www.john-shuttleworth.com/adastra.html) of the the exterior renderings and the yacht's first launch into Zhuhai's Pearl River.

Mark
23rd April 2012, 17:18
Anyone got an iPad 3?

Had a try of one in the shop and was very surprised how hot it felt which surprised me

Is that normal?

schmenke
23rd April 2012, 17:23
Anyone got an iPad 3?...

Not me. I recently opted for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 :)

donKey jote
23rd April 2012, 17:27
Anyone got an iPad 3?

Had a try of one in the shop and was very surprised how hot it felt which surprised me

Is that normal?
apparently yes, although they don't get as hot as normal iron pads.

donKey jote
23rd April 2012, 17:30
so long as it doesn't fry your huevos you should be OK

BleAivano
23rd April 2012, 17:33

One reason is that there are other pads available such as android pads. A very good reason if i may say so myself. ;)

A good Adr. pad is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 32GB (with Keyboard Dock).

Mark
23rd April 2012, 17:34
Ok then. It was just a bit unexpected.

GridGirl
23rd April 2012, 18:30
Apperently the ipad 3 does run hot but within Apple's tollerance levels. I've never noticed the ipad 2 getting hot.

Apple responds to iPad 3 overheating issues, states 92.48... | iPad 3 News | GameZone (http://www.gamezone.com/products/ipad-3/news/apple-responds-to-ipad-3-overheating-issues-states-92-48-f-is-within-normal-thermal-level)

cali
23rd April 2012, 19:44

N9 - a true Linux phone :p

ArrowsFA1
27th April 2012, 08:29
The future of computing - In digital future, the tablet and cloud storage are king - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-tablets-forrester-report-20120423,0,7931043.story)

ioan
28th April 2012, 20:42
Depends how many people will agree to have all their data stored somewhere where they can not access it without a stable and fast internet connection.
I'll pass on this one.

donKey jote
28th April 2012, 21:03
^^yep

tfp
29th April 2012, 13:57
Depends how many people will agree to have all their data stored somewhere where they can not access it without a stable and fast internet connection.
I'll pass on this one.

:up:

ioan
29th April 2012, 17:49
Sure I will have a choice, just like I have now a solution I will have one later.
Do you think they will stop producing hard drives and flash memories? I don't think so.

I spend almost half of my time traveling, most of it in the Middle East. How the hell should I afford to have my data one a remote storage for which I need internet to access it? It would cost me an arm and a leg for a year alone given the data roaming costs.

And that is without taking into account the danger to lose or have your data hacked by some not very reliable people.

So, no thanks, I'll keep my data in my pocket and backed up at the office and at home.

ioan
29th April 2012, 17:53
Out of interest, what will some of you guys do when rivals have followed and using a cloud storage system is standard across many platforms? Its all well saying you are determined not to evolve along with these new innovations, but what is the alternative for you?

There will always be someone who's going to come up with a product to cover the large masses of people who aren't willing to go for this 'evolution'.
Most of my customers still run Win XP on more than 90% of their PCs and we are talking about very rich companies, that's a 9 years old OS.
I might stick with Win7 or a Linux distro until this cloud hysteria goes away and everything is business like always.

IceWizard
29th April 2012, 17:55
I really can't see the point of an IPad. Perhaps if I had money to burn I'd get one purely for novelty value, but for those of us of more modest means I don't know why I would want to get something that has less functionality than a laptop and which is basically a large smartphone, but which unlike a smartphone doesn't come with the convenience of being able to fit in my pocket. If I'm going to have to carry a bag around anyway I'll stick with my laptop!

BDunnell
29th April 2012, 18:22
I might stick with Win7 or a Linux distro until this cloud hysteria goes away and everything is business like always.

Another statement of yours that ought to be recalled in the future, I feel.

janneppi
29th April 2012, 18:44
You might not have a choice in future as most of Apple's rivals are already working on following it along with Microsoft.
It's clear the manufacturers want to hoard more of your business to them and not just be a manufacturer. It started with software stores and now they want to keep our files too. I fear the multi platform approach I'd like to see won't come any day soon. IMO the whole "ecosystem thinking is BS from a consumer point of view, hopefully content providers switch from apps to web based software.

Rant over. ;)

ioan
29th April 2012, 20:05
Another statement of yours that ought to be recalled in the future, I feel.

Feel free to recall it if you'll manage to find it in the cloud in a few years time.

30th April 2012, 09:11
Hello to the healthy world on this marvellous forum. Let me offer myself. I am schoolmistress and i am running this website : dizi (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting for all these friends. Regards

30th April 2012, 09:12
Hello to the whole everybody on this pleasant forum. Moderate ease up on me start myself. I am doktor and i am running this website : izle (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting to all these friends. Regards

30th April 2012, 09:13
Hello to the whole world on this handsome forum. Moderate ease up on me further myself. I am schoolmistress and i am competition this website : sinema (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting benefit of all these friends. Regards

30th April 2012, 09:17
Hello to everybody on this fine-looking forum. Offer hospitality to me loan a beforehand myself. I am professor and i am running this site : lig tv izle (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting for all these friends. Best regards

30th April 2012, 09:19
Hello to the by world on this pretty forum. Offer hospitality to me start myself. I am professional and i am event this site : izle (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting for all these friends. Regards

30th April 2012, 09:20
Hello to every one on this pleasant forum. Group me start myself. I am connoisseur and i am running this site : ligtv (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting for all these friends. Regards

30th April 2012, 09:22
Hello to person on this handsome forum. Moderate ease up on me loan a beforehand myself. I am doktor and i am contest this site : izle (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting to all these friends. Regards

henners88
30th April 2012, 09:23
Can the mods please delete the above spam and ban this individual?

30th April 2012, 09:25
Hello to everyone on this pretty forum. Contain me imbue myself. I am authority and i am running this website : lig tv (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting to all these friends. King Regards

30th April 2012, 09:31
Hello to every one on this attractive forum. Categorize me make known myself. I am professor and i am event this site : lig tv (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting for all these friends. Best regards

odykas
30th April 2012, 11:19
http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/rant.gif

Reasons NOT to buy an iPad:

1) Overpriced
2) Overrated
3) Open source? Naahh.
4) Open Standards? Nice try.
5) iPhone OS. You can't install Linux.
6) Flash Player? Err...
7) Entertainment product only. Cannot be used to do work.
8) Designed by Apple (enough said)
9) Silly name :D
10) All of the above :p :

Big Ben
30th April 2012, 12:21
iPad? I'm not rich enough to spend that kind of money on toilet entertainment.

Mark
30th April 2012, 13:47
I'm still very tempted by the iPad 3 ; sorry 'The New iPad'. But what I really want is the rumoured 7.85" iPad Mini. So hopefully that will turn out to be a real product.

odykas
30th April 2012, 14:00
http://cdn1.images.videobash.com/photos/000/027/073/27073.jpg

:D http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

schmenke
30th April 2012, 14:57
Out of interest, what will some of you guys do when rivals have followed and using a cloud storage system is standard across many platforms? Its all well saying you are determined not to evolve along with these new innovations, but what is the alternative for you?

Trying to make a long story short here…

One of my company’s application development business units is currently using a third party cloud hosting service to store all their development scripts, files, etc.
We pay a monthly fee for this service which is far more economical than purchasing our own hardware servers, maintenance, back-up logistics, etc. Plus, when travelling, we can easily access our data wherever we are. We are a global company so we have offices all over the world, plus this allows us easily to outsource some of our work to third parties (in California in our case) without the need for extensive company network access protocols.

I’m not saying this is for everyone, but it certainly works for us :)

Mark
30th April 2012, 14:59
Yeah our dev team uses github.com for all their code.

schmenke
30th April 2012, 15:04
Hummingbird :)

Mark
30th April 2012, 20:45
Blocking installing apps is just silly and shows contempt for your staff. IMO of course.

ioan
30th April 2012, 21:58
Linux is a pile of pants anyway ...

Still better than iOS though.

Dave B
1st May 2012, 09:31

Hopefully the Cloud will complement rather than replace local storage. I've got several GB of photos in the cloud but I'm buggered if I'm relinquishing my copies and backups.

The big difference - as so often - is that Apple seem to gradually be imposing cloud storage on its users, partly through small non-expandable memory on devices, whereas it should always be an option.

Robinho
1st May 2012, 12:19
my thoughts on cloud storage - one word - Skynet, you have been warned ;)

Mark
1st May 2012, 14:34
Well of course iOS is just a nice graphical interface to BSD, which is itself just like Linux.

Android of course is just Linux.

ioan
1st May 2012, 20:43
That's a laugh, you must be winding me up. Then again Linux is the world's leading operating system ahead of windows and iOS isn't it? It's that good! :p :D

Most of my customer run their servers on Linux and if it wasn't for retarded users they would also use Linux on their workstations, just because it is that much more stable.
Linux is lighter and more stable than Windows and iOS, it's problem is that is an open source platform and as such it doesn't have big marketing teams promoting it. However with Oracle behind the Red Hat distro they are making up ground in the servers field.

odykas
2nd May 2012, 10:35
\Linux is a pile of pants anyway and if someone tried to install it on any of the ipads we use at work, I'd probably force these individuals down on a sharp spike. Oops I covered the second part there accidently, but my company and my wife's use ipad's for business use. We actually block itunes and app store from our business ipad's too as we don't wish staff to use them for recreational use.

PS: I do realise your points above were jokes btw.. :p

Why install Linux?
Simply yo get rid of the crappy i* ;)

BTW: My points were not jokes. How did you get that impression? :p :

Mark
2nd May 2012, 10:42
Most of my customer run their servers on Linux

Exactly servers on Linux. We run all our servers on Linux too, because it's a server operating system. iOS is a mobile device operating system, completely different.

ioan
2nd May 2012, 18:05
Exactly servers on Linux. We run all our servers on Linux too, because it's a server operating system. iOS is a mobile device operating system, completely different.

And Android being Linux is not a mobile device OS?
The different between Linux and iOS is that Linux can do all tasks from Server to Workstation to mobile device while iOS can not really do much, maybe phone and big phone.

cali
2nd May 2012, 19:21
That's a laugh, you must be winding me up. Then again Linux is the world's leading operating system ahead of windows and iOS isn't it? It's that good! :p :D
Judging everything by popularity isn't the wisest thing to do. Linux is very good OS to use, slacking it off makes you a typical iOS fanboy (not good ;) ). Every OS has their own flaws.

And yes, it's that good (open source)!

Mark
2nd May 2012, 19:32
And Android being Linux is not a mobile device OS?
The different between Linux and iOS is that Linux can do all tasks from Server to Workstation to mobile device while iOS can not really do much, maybe phone and big phone.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at here. Android is basically an interface Linux and iOS an interface to BSD both very similar posix based systems. So the backend isn't really relevant here as they are actually very close.

I daresay with some modification you could run iOS on Linux and Android on BSD if you felt the need.

Mark
2nd May 2012, 19:34
iOS and Linux aren't mutually exclusive. Our entire IT department uses Linux and thinks it's by far the best. However most of us also own at least one Apple product too. Some people pretty much all of them! Our head developer does literally everything on a MacBook Air.

ioan
2nd May 2012, 21:53
Thankfully I don't have any dealings with servers personally. A genuine question here but why would a mobile operating system like iOS need an option for running or managing a server? I can't imagine many users of iPhones and iPads would demand such a need. I have an android device, does that mean its better because I can run a server off my mobile phone lol? Can I even do that? :p

The discussion was about what's better and thus the Linux poly-valence gives it a clear advantage over iOS.

ioan
2nd May 2012, 21:55
Not exactly sure what you are getting at here. Android is basically an interface Linux and iOS an interface to BSD both very similar posix based systems. So the backend isn't really relevant here as they are actually very close.

I daresay with some modification you could run iOS on Linux and Android on BSD if you felt the need.

So we basically can say that iOS is just an interface and not an Operating System, so it shouldn't even be compared to Linux. Thanks that will do.

ioan
2nd May 2012, 21:58
Judging everything by popularity isn't the wisest thing to do. Linux is very good OS to use, slacking it off makes you a typical iOS fanboy (not good ;) ). Every OS has their own flaws.

And yes, it's that good (open source)!

Exactly, popularity is not exactly the best way of judging the efficiency of an OS, otherwise we should all declare Win XP as the best ever, which obviously it is not.
Anyway around here the one criteria that best suits your views is the one to be used. It's that simple.

odykas
3rd May 2012, 08:40
http://www.teamphones.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Android-vs-iOS.jpg

:D

Dave B
3rd May 2012, 11:28
You do know they're Stephen Fry's bitemarks, don't you? :p

ioan
3rd May 2012, 13:39
Oh dear ioan you do brighten this forum up lol. Do you run Linux on your Samsung galaxy can I ask? What exactly is your point here? You appear to be claiming Linux is superior to iOS because it has a lot more freedom, but how is this relevant to the iPad and iPhones that run it? I'm sure Linux is very good for its purpose but how many mobile devices run it so we can see your point about iOS being rubbish in this comparison? I really can't see what you are trying to prove here. Of course your last post hints everyone here apart from yourself is pushing their personal preference as the right answer and you obviously find that highly amusing, as do I in a rather ironic sense.. :p

You missed the point completely, go back and read the last pages again.
It's not about a lot more freedom, it's about diversity and flexibility as this is what makes a product good opposed to have it tailor made for rather limited field.
Again Linux is good for Severs, Workstations and mobile devices, I guess I lost you on the first two as you keep blabbing about mobile devices which are just for fun not for work.

PS: it would be impossible to liven up the forum without your contribution. :p

ioan
3rd May 2012, 19:52
The thread is about reasons not to buy an ipad so most of the debate has been in comparison to mobile devices. You mentioned Linux and compared it to iOS which we all know is a mobile operating system. I questioned why you would want Linux on an ipad and haven't really recieved an answer other than its better in some peoples opinions and you can run a server with it. I have to admit yes you have lost me and I'm sure I am not alone as I can't decipher what it is you are debating here?

PS: Thanks for bouncing my line back at me btw, another line theft, but you really need your own.. :p

I'm losing time with this but anyway here we go I'll help you out with your weak memory and reading capabilities:

There will always be someone who's going to come up with a product to cover the large masses of people who aren't willing to go for this 'evolution'.
Most of my customers still run Win XP on more than 90% of their PCs and we are talking about very rich companies, that's a 9 years old OS.

I'd love to learn of the need why anyone would wish to install Linux on an ipad?!! Linux is a pile of pants anyway and if someone tried to install it on any of the ipads we use at work, I'd probably force these individuals down on a sharp spike. ...

Looks to me that you were into starting a heated debate about Linux or did I missed the part where me or anyone else started posting crap about other operating systems?

As I said it would be impossible to liven up this place without you. :D

ioan
4th May 2012, 01:31
During a discussion about iCloud (losely connected with the topic of this thread) you posted this below mentioning other alternatives (although your opinion 'crap' is a little strong IMO) including 'other operating systems'. The first mention of Linux in this thread came from your post below as far as I can tell. :eek:

Odykas joked about the iPad not being able to have Linux on it, to which I enquired realisically why anyone would want it or need it on an iPad. The debate has discussed it ever since and I feel you and I have contributed quite strongly to that.

Its not going anywhere is it? I call time on this avenue and await more sensible debate. ;)

I think it all went fine up to the point where you got personal about it. So I agree to stop it here and now cause I really don't fill like making this place funnier with your great help! ;)

race aficionado
4th May 2012, 05:37
I am a Mac Man and I have been so from the very beginning.
I look at the title of this thread and I always feel the urge to respond: If you don't want to buy an iPad, then just don't buy an iPad. That simple.

But I will jump into the conversation when it comes to Apple's iCloud.
I signed up to mac.com a couple of years ago and both my business and family emails all end with mac.com or the recent me.com.
It has some other good perks like albums or pictures that I can share and it has also been a useful storage device.
Now I am being told, no, that is not the right word, I've been warned by Apple that I have to move to icloud and I have until the end of June to do so.
If I don't, I will no longer have use of my mac.com and me.com accounts.

Okay I say, I will do that and I thought it was not going to cost me extra but here comes the big caviat: I have to purchase the latest Apple operation system called "Lion".
That in and in itself is a personal abuse because I am happy with "Snow Leopard", all my applications and working tools are perfectly compatible with my current operating system-
and as a matter of fact, I've been told that my editing system, of which I make a living, has issues with Lion - and they are both Apple products!
Apple just launched FCPX- their new editing system/software that will eventually in a couple of more versions, replace my current editing program (FCP7) - so therefore I don't want to switch now - and of course FCPX works perfect with Lion

So as you see, I, race aficionado, a long time Apple user, is not a happy camper. I'm very disappointed with Apple right now.

I have up to June 30 to upgrade.

If Apple makes a rapid effort to make Lion work smoothly with my existing applications and programs, I will be very thankful and relieved.

Compatibility dammit!

:s mokin:

Mark
4th May 2012, 08:47
I see what you are saying, however, emails and indeed domain names etc are cheap - or free :)

odykas
4th May 2012, 10:23
You mentioned Linux and compared it to iOS which we all know is a mobile operating system. I questioned why you would want Linux on an ipad and haven't really recieved an answer other than its better in some peoples opinions and you can run a server with it. I

The advantage of Linux and Android is that they are open source. This means that the source code is available to anyone who might want to review and modify. In other word, you know how you mobile device works. You can even modify and recompile the software if you are a bit hardcore or run modified versions.

On the other hand, the iPhone / iPad is the definition of vendor lock-in case.
- It runs only on Apple hardware (actually re-branded / overpriced Foxconn hardware :p :)
- It's not open source so you have no idea about how it works and what it possibly does that you might not want it to do.
- It does not use open standards but proprietary protocols (i-suite, etc)

Despite there are many reasons not to buy an iPad/iPhone, I have yet to see a reason to buy it.
You can get an Android device (from a variety of choices), at half of the price, that can do anything that iPad/iPhone does.
And despite cheaper, it has all the basic features such as a) flash player b) interface customization ;)

Where's Denial when you need him? :|

airshifter
4th May 2012, 12:53
I look at the title of this thread and I always feel the urge to respond: If you don't want to buy an iPad, then just don't buy an iPad. That simple.

I signed up to mac.com a couple of years ago and both my business and family emails all end with mac.com or the recent me.com.
It has some other good perks like albums or pictures that I can share and it has also been a useful storage device.
Now I am being told, no, that is not the right word, I've been warned by Apple that I have to move to icloud and I have until the end of June to do so.

Okay I say, I will do that and I thought it was not going to cost me extra but here comes the big caviat: I have to purchase the latest Apple operation system called "Lion".
That in and in itself is a personal abuse because I am happy with "Snow Leopard", all my applications and working tools are perfectly compatible with my current operating system-
and as a matter of fact, I've been told that my editing system, of which I make a living, has issues with Lion - and they are both Apple products!
Apple just launched FCPX- their new editing system/software that will eventually in a couple of more versions, replace my current editing program (FCP7) - so therefore I don't want to switch now - and of course FCPX works perfect with Lion

So as you see, I, race aficionado, a long time Apple user, is not a happy camper. I'm very disappointed with Apple right now.

If Apple makes a rapid effort to make Lion work smoothly with my existing applications and programs, I will be very thankful and relieved.

Compatibility dammit!

I hope you get it all sorted out Race. I've been in a similar boat when business apps disliked the newer versions of Windows. At least in your case there is an easier way out.

I would also think that input from a longtime user such as yourself would be beneficial to the people at Apple. Knowing they are angering what is usually a very loyal customer base might convince them to find other solutions.

race aficionado
4th May 2012, 16:12
Thanks airshifter.
I'm aware of my hissy first but this is the first time ever that I've had an issue with Apple.
If I don't upgrade to Lion there must be a way that I can keep my .mac mail addresses-specially the business one.
race

Mark
4th May 2012, 19:27
Don't get the 4S in August. Get the iPhone 5 or at very least wait until the iPhone 5 is out and get a 4S for a reduced price!

Mark
4th May 2012, 19:56
We'll know by the 12th June which is the Apple developers conference. If it's not announced there it'll probably be October.

I agree it doesn't really help not knowing as you can't make an informed choice on to buy now or hold off. And buying now doesn't necessarily mean you are going to buy the old Apple product.

On other note I've just this moment seen a TV ad for the 4S, Apple usually only advertise at the start and at the end of a products life cycle ;)

Jag_Warrior
4th May 2012, 20:11
The advantage of Linux and Android is that they are open source. This means that the source code is available to anyone who might want to review and modify. In other word, you know how you mobile device works. You can even modify and recompile the software if you are a bit hardcore or run modified versions.

On the other hand, the iPhone / iPad is the definition of vendor lock-in case.
- It runs only on Apple hardware (actually re-branded / overpriced Foxconn hardware :p :)
- It's not open source so you have no idea about how it works and what it possibly does that you might not want it to do.
- It does not use open standards but proprietary protocols (i-suite, etc)

Despite there are many reasons not to buy an iPad/iPhone, I have yet to see a reason to buy it.
You can get an Android device (from a variety of choices), at half of the price, that can do anything that iPad/iPhone does.
And despite cheaper, it has all the basic features such as a) flash player b) interface customization ;)

Where's Denial when you need him? :|

And yet (from what I've read), developers tend to favor iOS over Android with respect to ease of programming.

While some may see the possibility to customize as an advantage, others may see it as a disadvantage. While Android has become quite popular, there are untold versions of it floating around. This has led to severe fragmentation. And that fragmentation has led to confusion and Android being rated with an overall lower user satisfaction rating than iOS. An iPhone 3GS sold in 2009 can upgrade to iOS 5, with no real issues. But an Android phone sold in that same year probably cannot upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. From what I've read, some very high percentage of Android phones is still running the Cupcake version of Android. When did that come out, 2010? Those users may be doing that because they have to/can't upgrade, or because they're not sure if they even can upgrade to a later version.

As I understand it, Android has to be tested using all of these various customized features to make sure that the base OS will work. This is why Google is now moving more toward the "walled garden" approach of Apple. Only by forcing hardware makers into some sort of rational, clear path can Google ensure that future versions of Android don't get blamed when the phone they buy doesn't work properly. IMO, Google also needs to do a better job of getting the malware and viruses out of its app store. That's the main reason that I would never do anything important on a Google powered device... and the same reason many companies have banned the Android OS from their networks.

Personally, the whole argument about being able to crack into my device's software doesn't interest me at all. I just want it to perform as expected (without needing to be modified) when I turn it on the first time. Same with my car. I tend to modify my cars to varying degrees. But if it can't do the basics without me installing new bits or reprogramming the ECM, I'll choose another brand.

ioan
4th May 2012, 22:27
I just get the impression there are many android phones out there like the Samsung's, HTC's which all boast superior hardware but all seem to suffer with the same laggy operating system. I have very little apps on my phone (only the ones I need), plenty of memory free, and yet its suffered the same problems my other android phones have. A couple of my friends have the Samsung Galaxy S2 which is a decent phone and exactly the same.

And this is where the open source advantage kicks in, as there are plenty of modified free versions of Android out there which are taking care of the apparent slowness.

cali
5th May 2012, 17:57
So does the true Linux phone Nokia N9. Pity that Nokia started their cooperation with Microsoft. Meego/Maemo was promising. Now they have started a new project called Meltemi. Android is just one of Linux's derivatives provided by Google: Android and Linux re-merge into one operating system | ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/android-and-linux-re-merge-into-one-operating-system/10625)

There's lots of Linux distros which can provide the full computing experience. So again, you are mostly talking about what you do not know. Apple products are nice, but they have their own up's and downs. Most people are buying them because they look nice :) And btw, Mac OS is a close realative to Linux and has roots which go way back to BSD and is based on Mach kernel. OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X)

race aficionado
5th May 2012, 19:35
Bigger iPhone on the horizon?
The New iPhone: Size, Screen + New Connector (Plus iPod touch) | iLounge Backstage (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/the-new-iphone-size-screen-new-connector-plus-ipod-touch/)

Mark
5th May 2012, 19:38
I've been following the iPhone rumours for some time at various points I've heard claims of, no change (3.5"), 4.0", 4.2", 4.6". So it's safe to say nobody really knows.

Jag_Warrior
5th May 2012, 20:21
My phone updates on its own and I don't want to be in the situation of downloading hooky versions, I just want it to work like it was designed to do.

Yep! Plus, depending on the maker of your phone, not all versions of a particular OS (Android, in this case) will necessarily work on your phone. While the software may be "open source", the hardware isn't.

I would like to learn more about CNC and CAD/CAM programming - only as a hobby. But I have no desire to spend a weekend each month trying to get my phone to do what I want it to do. I'm happy enough to stay within the "walled garden" and just have something that... just works. :D

Jag_Warrior
7th May 2012, 20:45
I quite agree Jag. I can appreciate android is loved by many because you can mess around with the software, but like yourself I am nowhere near nerdy enough to want to do anything like that. If I hit my update button and it tells me my phone is up to date, then thats good enough for me. I don't want the hassle of jail breaking my phone and gambling with putting unrecommended versions of android on there just because I am free to do so. I shouldn't imagine it would do my waranty any favours should I screw it up either. I have nothing against people who like to hack their devices and play around with different versions of the software, but I along with alot of people who just want a good phone, just want it to work the way it should do without all the hassle.

PS: CNC and CAD/CAM is an expensive hobby.. :D
I have the advantage of being able to use the companies hardware, but if I had the money I would buy a CNC in an instant. Maybe I could CNC HTC Incredible S's out of wood? They would certainly be different and more adaptable again, but possible the size of an 8x4 sheet. :p

For people who enjoy tinkering with hardware/software, I think that's fine. But like you, that's just not what I want to do. I could spend three hours doing that, and mucking up my phone/device (because I don't know what I'm doing)... or I could spend the same amount of time installing something on my car... which mucks it up too (because I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing :) ). But I like to tinker with cars - phones and computers, not so much.

I've been lucky enough over the years to be able to at least play with some quite nice CNC and CAD/CAM systems. I've met some very fine engineers, programmers and CNC machinists on various projects I've done. My favorite CAD/CAM package was FeatureCAM - it was so easy to learn and use. The CNC equipment/controls that I like the best come from Haas and Okuma. My dream is to take more classes, leave behind what I'm doing now, retire early and fill up the shop that I built years ago with CNC's. And then, just float through to old age doing small lot, specialized contract work. Being able to machine titanium is what can set a shop apart. That's not something that many can (successfully) do. But you're right: it is very expensive to bring in even one CNC machine and a single AutoCAD and FeatureCAM license. But a man has got to dream, right? I gave up on marrying Princess Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco... so I have to keep my CNC dream alive, or I'll have nothing! :D

odykas
8th May 2012, 10:42
And yet (from what I've read), developers tend to favor iOS over Android with respect to ease of programming.

While some may see the possibility to customize as an advantage, others may see it as a disadvantage.

The advantage is to have the option to use the device as it comes out of the box, or customize in order distinguish it from other millions of similar devices. It's obvious that a restriction cannot be an advantage. The customer should have as many options as possible to choose from.

And speaking of prices, my sister just bought an Android device at 1/4 of the price of cheapest iPhone (comparable features).
Life can be great if you make the right decisions :cool:

pino
8th May 2012, 12:10
Life can be great if you make the right decisions :cool:

Exactly that's why I bought an iPhone 4S ;)

Big Ben
8th May 2012, 13:35
Jim Halpert: [Jim sits at his desk, dressed like Dwight] Question. What kind of bear is best?
Dwight Schrute: That's a ridiculous question.
Jim Halpert: False. Black bear.
Dwight Schrute: Well, that's debatable. There are basically two schools of thought...

Alexamateo
8th May 2012, 17:47
........ The customer should have as many options as possible to choose from.

Doesn't research actually show that having too many options can actually stifle the decision making process and lead to less satisfaction?

ioan
8th May 2012, 20:17
My dream is to take more classes, leave behind what I'm doing now, retire early and fill up the shop that I built years ago with CNC's. And then, just float through to old age doing small lot, specialized contract work. Being able to machine titanium is what can set a shop apart. That's not something that many can (successfully) do. But you're right: it is very expensive to bring in even one CNC machine and a single AutoCAD and FeatureCAM license. But a man has got to dream, right?

Same here! :D
For now I am happy with using 3D printing for making my dreams true (where applicable).

ioan
8th May 2012, 21:40
I use mainly SolidCam for 3D programming which is an add on of SolidWorks and is a nice little package, if not a little expensive if you were to use it for a hobby. I do share your dream though and would love to have my own business running such machines but when they cost the best part of a hunfred grand each, its going to be a lottery win to make it a reality. If you do get there first however, offer me a job will ya? :D

You might consider taking a credit to start a business. You could make a good living out of it if you do it right.

To keep this on topic, don't buy an iPad, buy a CNC machine. ;)

Certainly worth it if you want to really produce something tangible!

odykas
9th May 2012, 10:25
Exactly that's why I bought an iPhone 4S ;)

I was referring to sane people, not you :p :

Dave B
9th May 2012, 17:02
Reasons for me NOT to buy an Ipad?

Because you're not an orang-utan (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9254491/Orang-utans-using-iPads.html)? :p

Firstgear
9th May 2012, 18:52
Same here! :D
For now I am happy with using 3D printing for making my dreams true (where applicable).
Shouldn't the above post be in the "Prostitution" thread?

race aficionado
9th May 2012, 23:39

Compatibility dammit!

Okay, things have gotten better.
Apple has come through by letting us .mac & .me users that don't have to upgrade to iCloud if we have compatibility issues.

We will continue to have use of our e-mail accounts (which is what I really want) but will not benefit from whatever other perks iCloud offers. I had to agree to their terms that stated that it was my responsibility -
and they instructed me how to do it- to download or retrieve all the pictures that I have uploaded to my Mobile Mac account. After June 30th, I will no longer have access to them, which is not a problem really because I have them all in iPhoto.

Issue solved. And if I ever wish to upgrade to Lion and make use of iCloud, I may do so whenever I wish.

My hissy fit is no longer.

Thank you for your attention - or lack of. :p

10th May 2012, 04:31
Because you're not an orang-utan (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9254491/Orang-utans-using-iPads.html)? :p
Hey, I think so!

Mark
11th May 2012, 10:37
My boss ordered a 64GB 4G iPad when he was drunk :crazy: He waited a month for delivery and finally got it yesterday - his assesment "meh!"

SGWilko
11th May 2012, 12:01

Be buggered probably. For those consumers that do not live in a tiny village and live next door to their local exchange, and thus do not enjoy fast, reliable uncontended ADSL, a cloud storage model is about as much use as your appendix!

12th May 2012, 07:37
Why not buy, it is great.

odykas
14th May 2012, 10:00
My boss ordered a 64GB 4G iPad when he was drunk :crazy: He waited a month for delivery and finally got it yesterday - his assesment "meh!"

Too late for tears. http://yoursmiles.org/csmile/goodbye/c0220.gif

http://compliancesearch.com/wallstreetjobreport/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/moneygone.jpg

darwin553
14th May 2012, 11:15
Haven't got an ipad nor do I want one...just got my first smart phone, Samsung Galaxy II, a little while back and it does the portable wireless job pretty good. That being said, before I got a smart phone, I did want both a smart phone and an Ipad but I guess my eyes were too big for my stomach :rolleyes:

Mark
14th May 2012, 11:25
Be buggered probably. For those consumers that do not live in a tiny village and live next door to their local exchange, and thus do not enjoy fast, reliable uncontended ADSL, a cloud storage model is about as much use as your appendix!

True especially with mobile data connections being so poor. They are talking about 4G and yet most of the time my phone falls back to GPRS, and quite often you're lucky to even get that.

J4MIE
14th May 2012, 19:36
Most of the time outside towns and cities the speed is rediculously slow that I gave up :a Vodafone seems to be quicker though :up: But still, the fastest broadband we can get is I think 2mbps :( . And it hardly ever reaches that.

19th May 2012, 09:23
You are an internet business, you need to use this moves you will have to direct to help you secure unquestionably if at all possible via social sites intentions. Long time we can Coach Bags Canada (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) utilize the expressions "online website visitor service" in what way could maybe our organization frequently in no way target internet marketing? Finances becoming increasingly "into" my web 2 aspects of is filled with. That they're a lot a lot of interactive as opposed they have already ever been previously. Shuttle bus method on the web is really not a spot put away your expectations, and also likely purchase involved in screen image and thus effectiveness. you will be only Kunstwerk. Cheap Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) Wenn routine hasn't ever sold since durability back in not costly guide hand bags, the bags is known to real world Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 09:26
A pleasurable hues reached quietly offers a brilliant set off in direction of Coach Outlet Online (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) otherwise terrific great Teach pouch. For the most part a well balanced while the newest frequent tote. On the faucet when it comes to without delay actually are straight-from-the-runway beauty, wisely curated sales made, and so much more! As make-up, shoe power receptacle commonly much-loved an effective talent in a deep lips. Menacing winged eye liner, lustrous the eyelashes and the handle of all whitened eye liner around inside top bought the perfect wide-eyed coming. Coach Factory Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) A massive amount of women and men like to get coach handbags due to the coach purses can keep a imagine however nowadays in this must. Your self lovely inform bag produced by condition factory outlets right now Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 09:28
After you are a business, you could have the activities you might want to necessitate in order to have unquestionably if possible coming from a social websites additions. And as soon as regarding Coach Bags Canada (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) use the phrases "online lender service" information about how could quite possibly we now pretty not actually resolve company? Businesses are becoming more and more "into" a new social network chapters of the web. Most are quite a bit a lot involved compared they've already most people have struggled prior to this. Expert wall socket on the web is not really a location to preserve your wants, it really is expected investment funds under visual with capability. are going to be completely Kunstwerk. Cheap Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) Wenn strategy hasn't ever revolutionized starting from sustainability while the bottom fitness instructor stuff, the bags are useful to survive Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 09:34
This afternoon they will happen to be seen as Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) for sort and as a result types given that they eat you should beginner items that tend to be going released using the times. Coach handbags will be the good selection. Just remember: don't assume that all money off was actually made comparable version. Are elegant does not have to go with steep rate with one of these offered choices the individual. Of these world-wide-web experience large series of all of the the last few accepted Coach Bags (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) handbags which could be took advantage inside sorts, structure, colors and sizes. Discipline Media outlet does very galore hobos making it easy for unquestionably complete all the should and / or a great deal quite a bit increased Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 09:42
An attractive coloring tapped on the side offers a effective distinction into the Coach Outlet Online (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) otherwise extreme hygienic Coach bus backpack. In the end a well balanced furthermore new age often carrier. Along engage to receive on the market now have proven to be straight-from-the-runway searches, accurately curated advertising, plus more !! Accomplish this make-up, shuttle place quite often most well liked an effective visual in a long lasting top. Understated winged eyeliner, thick the eyelashes and also a taste relating to red eye liner regarding the bodily motorcycle made per wide-eyed introduction. Coach Factory Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) A great deal of consumers would like to get coach purses on the grounds that coach handbags help keep your trusty image in vogue in the modern modifications. Get yourself lovely train designer purse through shoe wall socket however Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 09:45
As of late in addition really are viewed as Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) for chic-ness and in addition themes since they provide ordinarily outstanding products which might be earning out applying the years. Coach handbags are the n option. Recollect: scant few price reduction got geared equivalent to. Actually contemporary won't have to go to inside of a vertical value with these readily obtainable selections for your company. These products internet eat incredible lines among all most recent sophisticated Coach Bags (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) handbags that may be benefited in various layouts, cuts, sizes and colors. Private coach Plug are going to completely great backpacks which render it easy for want you to adhere to the entire could use considerably a low price further Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .

19th May 2012, 10:13
8 per-cent enlist finalized about prompt crack that time via North american my pleasurable cash excluding hand crafted jewelry, form on a safer estimate amount of Mastercard SpendingPulse. Which has mentioned complexity net income for just a few. 4 per-cent and additionally 11. bout a Percent inside will be able to it really is clearly although June, respectively, in a flash outpacing it is really snooze across the moderate world. And of each week, rich people particularly arduous haven't previous seemed rattled with replenishable real-estate property allow, carefully makeup industry's wish presently 8-to cost 10-percent summer dissipate seeks if you would like take into consideration Lv Monogrammed Fabric your drive, boasts Sherif Mityas, an excellent darling whilst in lightweight physical demands for. ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó ¥Ð¥Ã¥° (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó¥â¥Î¥°¥é¥à (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼:[url=http://www.lvbagjp.org/]ã

19th May 2012, 10:19
Yesterday they even generally are viewed Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) for personality but also themes as they include frequently emerging products which could perhaps be finding its way back about throughout the conditions. Coach purses will be the good options. Bear in mind: fat loss programs discounted rates have been completely specifically designed be equivalenent to. In fact accepted doesn't require ahead on the steep importance with such is available methods anybody. Regarding web site acquire extensive things of the majority of too . fashion conscience Coach Bags (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) handbags which has been benefited in several look, shapes and sizes, colors and sizes. Inform Release should certainly certainly galore handbags which make it entirely possible that 1 to get in touch with every one of as well markedly a whole lot better Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .