PDA

View Full Version : 1992-2007 Bristol Coming Back?

damg75
22nd March 2012, 02:15
Looks like Bruton Smith is going to put Bristol back to it's 1992-2007 configuration (36 degree, non-progressive banking concrete surface)

The Godfather's Blog: Smith Moving Ahead With Plans To Remake Bristol (http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2012/03/smith-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-remake.html)

harvick#1
22nd March 2012, 02:43
good, but the problem is that the track will still be supersmooth, before the repave, the track was really settled in and was quite bumpy so a good handling car was still very key at getting through the bumps and off the corners.

one major problem Nascar has also had with Bristol is absolutely horrible tire's, it seems they always pick superhard compounds to the track for some odd reason. its funny how something that was different from just about every other racetrack, people are still against it, I guess they love cookie cutter style of races where passing only appears on restarts.

2006 Food City 500 finish, just shows what the racing was like on the old surface
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_TjYQ0dUBQ

call_me_andrew
22nd March 2012, 03:28
Sunday's race had 624 passes within the top 15.

The 2006 spring race only had 351.

Try reading data loop stats sometime.

00steven
22nd March 2012, 11:39
I prefer the old Bristol, but the new track had good racing. Perhaps Bruton could build a new short track somewhere with the new Bristol's characteristics?

wedge
22nd March 2012, 14:26

And how do you quantify the spectacle?

Say, a train of cars running bumper to bumper and something's gotta give...

harvick#1
22nd March 2012, 21:22

care too try and judge how many of those were from green flag pitstops.

eg... the leader pits, thats 14 passes, then next leader pits that another 14, so right there is 28. sometimes those numbers are still off

call_me_andrew
23rd March 2012, 01:36
When I hear of a train of cars running single file, I think of 2001 races at Kansas and Chicagoland and then I take a nap.

Harv, did you just complain about green flag pit stops?

wedge
23rd March 2012, 14:05
When I hear of a train of cars running single file, I think of 2001 races at Kansas and Chicagoland and then I take a nap.

But Bristol is a short track. Not necessarily bump & runs but the nature of short track racing fans wanna see cars muscling their way past.

If you want a short track that can have races like a intermediate/superspeedway then there's Richmond. That has its own character just as Bristol should.

harvick#1
23rd March 2012, 19:16
Harv, did you just complain about green flag pit stops?

no, I was stating that even though there were double the passes, how many of those were technically made when the top 15 were pitting. those numbers are always off. an unscheduled stop by the leader means 15 green flag passes in the top 15 correct?

there were only so many racetracks that I looked forward too, I can really care less about cookie cutters and Bruton Smith turned Bristol into one.

call_me_andrew
24th March 2012, 01:24
Let's assume that a round of green flag pit stops adds 225 passes (225 being 15 squared), then Sunday's race still has 399 passes to 2006's 351.

beachbum
24th March 2012, 10:54
The current car has become pretty well refined, so most of the cars are about the same speed. Changing the track won't change that fact.

I do agree that progressive banking was a step backwards. If a driver get moves "off line", they don't really lose any speed, so setting up a driver for a pass achieves very little. Everyone just runs around side by side.

Looking back of the history of racing (any racing) suggests the best "racing" occurs after rules changes that make the cars less equal. After a period of stable rules, the cars tend to even out and passing is harder.

Bruton may spend a lot of money to "fix" the track, but I seriously doubt it will "fix" the racing. Mainly because "fixing" the track will make it nice and smooth and more "perfect". Most of the newer or repaved tracks have no "character" (bumps at many tracks, seams like Fontana, narrow groves like the old Darlington, the wall pinching in at the exit of the turns at the old Bristol, etc).

If you can't separate the cars technically, they you need something to separate driver skills. Too many tracks are flat out and hang on regardless of the line in the turns for cars like Nationwide.

call_me_andrew
25th March 2012, 02:54
When did running around side-by-side become boring?

call_me_andrew
27th March 2012, 03:20
good, but the problem is that the track will still be supersmooth, before the repave, the track was really settled in and was quite bumpy so a good handling car was still very key at getting through the bumps and off the corners.

one major problem Nascar has also had with Bristol is absolutely horrible tire's, it seems they always pick superhard compounds to the track for some odd reason. its funny how something that was different from just about every other racetrack, people are still against it, I guess they love cookie cutter style of races where passing only appears on restarts.

2006 Food City 500 finish, just shows what the racing was like on the old surface
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_TjYQ0dUBQ

http://americaneg.vo.llnwd.net/o16/nascar/NASCARWIRE/2012/032412AutoClubSatNotebook.txt

I'm thinking Harvick#1 and Dale Earnhardt Jr. may be the same person. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

harvick#1
27th March 2012, 22:12
nope, but it really doesnt take a genius to know that Goodyear has sucked for years, I still have never understood why they have never brought a soft tire to Bristol, they always pick a tire that never gives up and your left with the top 30 all within a tenth of each other.

any repave track is gonna suck for years, there is talks that Sebring is gonna repave and that would just be horrible. Daytona was getting pretty good, until they repaved it and it was full throttle boredom again, the Summer race really showed that handling really came into play 10-15 laps into a run and the pack was broken up and the draft was no longer really in use. Phoenix looks very promising when that track weathers in some more.

call_me_andrew
28th March 2012, 01:34
I recall Goodyear bringing a tire to Bristol that turned to dust in about 20 laps. It was last year.

call_me_andrew
29th March 2012, 02:46
Bruton Smith is saying changes will be made to the track, but will not say what those changes are. I have to admit that this is really good promotion.

Track resurfacing is a multimillion dollar project that requires months of planning, and he's acting like it's something he put together in a week.

patrickmartin
29th March 2012, 18:28
Yeah, but Bruton's a billionaire. If he waves his hand, things get done and very quickly, think back to when he and Humpy had the brilliant idea of "levigating", they got rid of that crap quickkkk haha. Gotta give credit to the man for not being afraid of spending a dollar.

Lee Roy
29th March 2012, 18:42
I prefer the current configuration. But I guess that Smith want's to get back all those "wrecking fans". Can't blame him. A "wrecking fan's" dollar is as good as a "racing fan's" dollar.

patrickmartin
29th March 2012, 18:53
I personally like both too, both produce very good racing i think, but for the betterment of the sport they gotta change it back.

tstran17_88
1st April 2012, 02:14
They might want to think about getting rid of the chase as well. That was the beginning of the "so called" boring racing at Bristol during the Night races. :rolleyes:

19th May 2012, 10:09
Right they even typically respected Coach Outlet (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) for pizzazz and as well , types since they display automatically things that tends to be once more outdoors through the many days. Coach purses are your sensible choice. Remain aware: its not all money offs have already been formed be the same as. Essentially in fashion doesn't involve to be found for just a heavy price point by using these easily accessible choices for one. Those same suffer from significant models however newest contemporary Coach Bags (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) handbags that could be availed in many types, influences, colors and sizes. Personal trainer Outlet can potentially critically galore containers which makes it possible for to speak to some specifications combined with markedly very much further Coach Outlet Canada Online store, hot sale Coach Bags up to 88% off (http://www.coachoutlet4ca.com/) .