PDA

View Full Version : Favourite F1 driver(s) in 2012

jens
21st March 2012, 16:49
Can't remember such thread for a long time. Also driver line-ups have been changing quite a bit during the years. So a new season has started and you can explain here, who do you support and why. :)

And I decided to give the option of voting for multiple drivers in case it is hard to choose and there are a lot of sympathies.

DamonHillFan
21st March 2012, 19:13
Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Raikonen and Kobayashi :) like all of them, listed in order of support!

steveaki13
21st March 2012, 21:31
I find it hard to pick drivers and teams I support as I love F1 as a whole really and get excited, upset and nervous for anyone who is driving well or underperforming.

I always like to see Button do well as I have really supported him from year 1.

I also am a big fan of Michael Schumacher. I remember watching most of his first career and even in the 2002-2004 years I enjoyed seeing a master at work. I used to be questioned by lots of "casual F1 fans" (Those being ones who yacked to me about things in F1 they thought this and that about, but had only watched 3 races in the season) oh its so boring and he's boring. I used to fume and think he're is a driver who is possibly the best ever and people just want "A show" to quote Bernie.

Other than that I like Hamilton, Raikkonen and Kobayashi because they are exciting.

But if anyone does well I am pleased for them.

Looking forward to seeing this weekend.

DazzlaF1
21st March 2012, 22:50
Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen, Vettel and Kobayashi, in that order

yodasarmpit
21st March 2012, 23:24
Paul, because he hails from about 5 miles away from me. And Button, well he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

jens
21st March 2012, 23:43
Yeah, thought I would add my thoughts as well. :)

First of all – Grosjean. :) I have kept a keen eye on him for some time already and the way he was smiling after the qualification for the Australian GP was awesome! For me a very likable driver and character. And I am happy that he has shown he is capable of being fast in F1 too, which was left unclear in 2009. Let’s see, what will the rest of his career bring. Perhaps it is a bit symbolic that my long-time favourite Trulli left before the season, while Romain entered the stage.

Next I’d mention Vettel. I have been following him for a long time too, already before the beginning of his F1 career. I knew (or more like hunched) that he has potential, but didn’t imagine he would be that successful so quickly! Many people get quickly bored of domination, but I can watch him keeping on winning. :) Actually I take great interest in whether he can actually challenge some Schumacher’s records!

After them there are perhaps not so clear-cut favourites, but still drivers, whose success create good emotions. For instance I’m always happy, when current Sauber driver pairing achieves good results. They look nice calm characters (Kobayashi in particular is smiling a lot!), but fierce competitors on track. Sauber has started the season well, I hope they can keep it up.

Looking at the front again, I’m also pleased to see the success of Button. I’m cheering more for him than Hamilton. And I’d be pretty satisfied if Button actually managed to win his second WDC this year. Regarding Jenson can’t get over the fact that for almost a decade (infinity in F1 terms!) he was in the shadow of others and underrated. So it is very impressive that he finally managed to reach the top, even more so stay there consistently. Also those long years of struggle/invisibility have strengthened Button’s personality, making him more patient, relaxed and confident, which gives him an advantage over Hamilton, who hasn’t had to deal with sitting in crap cars for many years.

I haven’t fully decided, what to make of several newcomers, like the STR drivers. Perhaps I’ll decide during the season.

TheFamousEccles
22nd March 2012, 07:00
I had to give the Ricciardo kiddie a vote. Poor lad, everybody else had one, and he's such a nice boy.

DexDexter
22nd March 2012, 07:40
The Finnish drivers are obviously my favourites along with MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (I would never have believed that a few years ago).

EuroTroll
22nd March 2012, 08:40
I had to give the Ricciardo kiddie a vote. Poor lad, everybody else had one, and he's such a nice boy.

Strange that Hülkenberg has no votes, as he's the most popular driver in this year's FGP. Well, I didn't vote for him either. :p : I've always been a fan of Kimi, because I like his ultra Finnish character. You couldn't be more dry.

I've also got a soft spot for Hamilton, because he is a warrior on the track. Somewhat reminiscent of Senna, although he obviously doesn't have Senna's compelling personality.

Of the young guns, I have high hopes for Vergne, as he seems to adapt very quickly. I'd bet (my signature) that he'll have the upper hand on Ricciardo already after a couple of races this season.

F1boat
22nd March 2012, 08:43
Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Michael Schmacher, Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean.

Mia 01
22nd March 2012, 08:48
Kimi, Seb and Jenson in that order.

N4D13
22nd March 2012, 10:44
I'm surprised to see that no one seems to care about Hülkenberg. :(

Neither did I, by the way. I went with Alonso all the way. :D

TMorel
22nd March 2012, 13:48
I like the quiet unassuming drivers, the ones that don’t court controversy and just quietly get on with their job… so I’ll be cheering for Lewis, Schumi and Fernando.

JasonPotato
22nd March 2012, 16:19
Button because he's british and a really nice guy. I also cheer on Lewis when he's behind a Red Bull :)

F1boat
22nd March 2012, 17:02
i like the quiet unassuming drivers, the ones that don’t court controversy and just quietly get on with their job… so i’ll be cheering for lewis, schumi and fernando.

:d :d :d

A FONDO
22nd March 2012, 17:43
Alonso all the way

TheFamousEccles
23rd March 2012, 03:49
Of the young guns, I have high hopes for Vergne, as he seems to adapt very quickly. I'd bet (my signature) that he'll have the upper hand on Ricciardo already after a couple of races this season.

It's going to be interesting to watch the contest between these two, they seem fairly well matched and they have a history of racing against each other. I'm for Ricciardo to show the way (obviously, I guess), but it will be great to watch.

Shifter
23rd March 2012, 06:55
I put in for my top 5, in order:

1: Button. I was really happy when he dragged the Honda to his first victory in Hungary. However, I sort of felt he was a but gifted his WDC in the Brawn because it was so much better at the start than any other car, and he sort of seemed to back into his championship. Then, in 2011 he just flat-out impressed me with his cool driving, and by the end of the season I was enamored with his driving. As soon as I could know the McLaren was a damn good car for 2012 I went ahead and declared him my pick to win it all this year...I think this will go down as his best season, and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to irk the hotter Hamilton.

2: Kimi. Because Kimi is awesome, do I need to say more?

3: Kobayashi. He still amazes me with the gambles he takes and how often he makes it pay off for him. He's had some stellar drives in the past and I sincerely home that Sauber continues to improve or that he eventually gets a drive in a car that has a shot at a win or two.

4: Hulkenberg. He's likable, and if Brazil 2010 is any indication, capable of pulling off some 100% sessions. I could be wrong, but I also get the impression he's had to earn most of his opportunity in the sport, at least in contrast to some heavily-backed drivers.

5: Perez. I tend to discount 'pay drivers', especially any running with the backing of the Carlos Slim/Telmex group. Slim has put some pretty questionable drivers in good cars (see: Memo Rojas), so I half wrote him off. I was wrong, in 2011 Perez, much as Button, caught my eye with some pretty slick driving, and I believe he has genuine talent!

EuroTroll
23rd March 2012, 07:50
2: Kimi. Because Kimi is awesome, do I need to say more?

Nope. :up:

airshifter
23rd March 2012, 13:47
My votes went to Kimi, Lewis, Kobay!, Sergio, and Pastor.

Kimi for quietly managing to rack up fast laps and good performances.

Lewisand all the others for being racers who will push the car and fight for points on a consistent basis. I have much respect for Button (who I think will beat Lewis again this year) and the other drivers who will race with their heads, but I want the people that are exciting to watch.

Pastor may have tossed it on the last lap at Australia, but he only did so because he was racing. Currently Kobayashi is IMO one of the more exciting people to watch. He often pulls off brilliant moves in a car that has in the past been a mid pack car. Perez may not display such moves, but consistently pushes the car IMO.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:39
Next I’d mention Vettel. I have been following him for a long time too, already before the beginning of his F1 career. I knew (or more like hunched) that he has potential, but didn’t imagine he would be that successful so quickly! Many people get quickly bored of domination, but I can watch him keeping on winning. :) Actually I take great interest in whether he can actually challenge some Schumacher’s records!

LOL. To challenge some of Schumacher's records he would need to have a comparable level of talent to MS. Bieber is not even close, they are on different planets.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:45
Challenging Michael's records will be very hard for any drivers. I remember that people predicted that Fernando may beat them, after 2006 and 2005, then Kimi, after he went to Ferrari, then Lewis, now Vettel... but to achieve the results which Michael had, you need the unique combination of a great team, great driver and problems with your rivals. In my opinion no current team is close to the astonishingly well working team, which Jean Todt built with Ross Brawn, Rory Burne and Michael Schumacher. They were very effective, quite ruthless, reacting well to rule changes, with excellent combination of incredible driver (MS) and a solid one (Rubens) and in the same time Williams depended almost entirely on the powerful BMW engine and McLaren were searching themselves after Hakkinen retired. These factors may never replicate again. In modern times it seems that all teams are highly competitive, serious and ambitious organizations. This makes the results which Vettel achieved last year even more special, because I don't think that the kid had a car as dominant as the Ferrari's all-conquering machines in 2002 or 2004.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:49
This makes the results which Vettel achieved last year even more special, because I don't think that the kid had a car as dominant as the Ferrari's all-conquering machines in 2002 or 2004.

He did, no question about it. This year without having 1 second per lap faster car bieber has been exposed.

I voted for :MS, Kimi, Senna, Pedro, Kamui,

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:54
As I said, I don't think that the Bull had that kind of an advantage over the rest of the field. And I don't like this ideas of an exposed drivers... was Michael exposed last two years with a Merc, Lewis last year in a Macca, Fernando in a struggling Ferrari or Renault? I don't think so. In different circumstances drivers deliver different results, but when you have been on top of the game, you are obviously no slouch.

i_max2k2
24th March 2012, 10:03
I definitely think Red Bull in 2011 was by far the fastest car, easily a sec faster then anyone else, this year will define Vettel much better.

jens
24th March 2012, 10:12
LOL. To challenge some of Schumacher's records he would need to have a comparable level of talent to MS. Bieber is not even close, they are on different planets.

The most important thing a driver needs for either challenging any Schumacher's records or simply getting great stats, is an extremely competitive car and that for many-many years in F1. Because in order to get close, you need a lot of wins/poles per year, even 10+ during seasons. And I'd say 10 wins could be achieved only in a superior car nowadays, in an even playing field they would get spread out.

Knock-on
24th March 2012, 13:01
I must confess that I am surprised at the amount of support for Kimi. I knew he was popular but the extent was a bit of an eye-opener. When his new website was launched recently, they had about 200k signups in a couple of days which brought down the server. That was apparently unprecedented.

markabilly
24th March 2012, 16:09
MS
as Ms. Weaver said in the movie...looks like the bitch is back!!!

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50356_251562967715_7950699_n.jpg :D

and so am I, for a couple of posts or so........................

Tazio
24th March 2012, 21:13
as Ms. Weaver said in the movie...looks like the bitch is back!!!

and so am I, for a couple of posts or so........................
What's the freakin' rush? donkey told me your misses is doing the Tijuanna donkey show with him.
How 'bout M*ke Billy-bob? I think he will fade in the race but I hope I'm wrong. I think M*ke has gone longer than JPM without a win :s mokin:
:beer: :beer: One for Easy :cool: :

harbourgirl
25th March 2012, 16:29
Lewis and Jenson (I am craving a constructor's championship), and Webber cos he's the Aussie with a good chance of making something.

nik
25th March 2012, 23:50
Button, Raikkonen, Perez and Big John. Shame he's retired from the first 2 races.

aryan
26th March 2012, 01:13
In order of preference, for me:

1) Kimi
2) Button
3) Webber
4) Heikki
5) The Hulk

No justification required, as they are the people I like. It's a personal thing really!

PS: Strange, I never thought Kimi and button to be the most popular drivers on the grid. And Kobayashi has more supporters than Alonso, Shumacher or Vettel? Wow!

yodasarmpit
26th March 2012, 03:01
In order of preference, for me:

1) Kimi
2) Button
3) Webber
4) Heikki
5) The Hulk

No justification required, as they are the people I like. It's a personal thing really!

PS: Strange, I never thought Kimi and button to be the most popular drivers on the grid. And Kobayashi has more supporters than Alonso, Shumacher or Vettel? Wow!

I think the Kobayyashi thing is to do with the way we see ourselves drive, all guts and glory.
Just a shame that doesn't win a championship :)

F1boat
27th March 2012, 18:36
I definitely think Red Bull in 2011 was by far the fastest car, easily a sec faster then anyone else, this year will define Vettel much better.

In qualy maybe, in race no way.

i_max2k2
28th March 2012, 02:05
In qualy maybe, in race no way.

I agree, but it was still a very dominant car, between 4 tenths to 7 tenths faster in race.

F1boat
28th March 2012, 12:46
In some races, in other the McLarens were very competitive or IMO stronger, like in Spain. Still a very dominant car, kinda like Ferrari F2001, but nowhere near F2002 or F2004.

EuroTroll
8th April 2012, 15:00
And Kimi is in the lead! :cool:

Tazio
8th April 2012, 15:42
Fernando Alonso Diaz is the guy I pull hardest for, but simultaneously I don't pull against any of them as I admire them all. :wave:

airshifter
8th April 2012, 15:44
And Kimi is in the lead! :cool: It doesn't really surprise me that Kimi has a lot of votes.

But I am a bit shocked the Kobayashi has more votes than Hamilton. Not that I mind at all as they both got votes from me.

A Prost F1
9th April 2012, 10:40
Kimi & Sergio.