PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Thread - Official

steveaki13
20th March 2012, 21:23
Well a good first race.

Are we going to see the same in Sepang or will Red Bull come back with a bang.

steveaki13
20th March 2012, 22:23
I wonder whether we will stay lucky with the weather. I don't mind the rain, but as we know it tends to be no rain or race stopping rain. I assume it will be the same this year.

As for a prediction.

I fancy another Button win with Seb, Lewis and maybe Michael battling for a podium place.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th March 2012, 22:35
I think that Webber is going to win http://board.muse.mu/images/smilies/ninja.gif

Kevincal
21st March 2012, 07:42
its going to be hot humid and rain at times and i like this track. :) vettel is prolly gonna win. lewis 2nd jenson 3rd just guessing :P

N4D13
21st March 2012, 09:56
I'd expect the Bulls to be faster at Sepang that they were at Oz. Whether they'll manage to win or not, I don't know, but I'd put my money on Vettel rather than Button.

Zico
21st March 2012, 13:46
I think the Bulls will be stronger here than in Oz too but if it rains I'm expecting Jenson to reap the rewards.

odykas
21st March 2012, 14:53
I hope this one will be a wet race! http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rain/t111019.gif

Knock-on
21st March 2012, 16:13
Changeable conditions. Has to be Buttons really.

jens
21st March 2012, 16:32
Well, let’s make a bit of a preview. :) And what do I personally expect... at least in dry conditions!

If McLaren can beat Red Bull again and win on a very different kind of circuit, they are certainly in a strong position for the championship.

Can RBR give a bigger challenge or even come out on top? With conditions being hotter, perhaps they can warm up the tyres quicker. I also suspect that this poor quali of Oz might have been an anomaly with poor setups. They should qualify at least on the second row. If so and they can run right after McLarens after the start, they will have a nice opportunity with good tyre management.

However, can’t see past Mercedes being a factor, especially in qualifying. With long straights especially Rosberg is a contender for pole and if he can hold up someone in the race, it can be a decisive moment. Like last year Heidfeld enabled Vettel to run away from others.

But how will Mercedes perform in the race? They should really make the tyres last on this very different circuit, otherwise it will be very alarming situation for them. There is still hope. Let’s remember 2005 and Toyota. Trulli cooked the tyres in Australia, dropping out of the points, but managed to finish second in Malaysia. Mercedes will be looking for the same. Alternatively we can remember Rosberg himself (at that time in a different team) leading half a race in 2009 before dropping to 8th by the time of the red flag... So which one will it be this weekend for Mercedes?

Lotus... With three fast teams at the front it could be a big ask from Grosjean to qualify in Top3 again. But who knows?! Remains to be seen whether Lotus can be that fast all season or was Australia particularly suitable for them, because they were fast in Oz in the last two years as well. But in any case, the team and drivers should be capable of achieving at least decent points.

Sauber is my tip for a major impression at Sepang. Australia’s weekend was highly compromised for them (poor quali, damaged cars, strategy), so I’m very impressed that despite all those setbacks they still managed to collect so many points. And looking at last few years and the designs of James Key, Sauber cars tend to be even faster on circuits with high emphasis on aerodynamics!

Williams. I’m not sure whether Maldonado can repeat his Top6 run again and how consistent is the Williams this year, but I think one would expect him to be a factor for minor points again.

I suspect Ferrari will have a difficult weekend. I still think that Alonso’s P5 was largely a result of most midfield runners hitting trouble either in qualifying or in the race. If it is an eventless race this time, Ferrari (or shall I say Alonso) will barely get into the points. If it rains, who knows... Although rain would be a proper hell for a driver in an ill-handling car...

STR. They look decent, but not good enough to head the midfield. Perhaps that would come during the season with strong development work. At the moment perhaps they can get a point or two at best unless it rains and at least one of their drivers is a true rainmaster.

Force India was a big disappointment of Australia. In winter testing it was suggested that they could be even at the head of the midfield, which should have seen a Top6 performance, but we saw them at the back of midfield instead. Was it track-specific and they can impress? If not, they need to repeat 2011 in terms of impressive development work during the season.

P3ws
21st March 2012, 16:57
we will have a lotus on podium.

DamonHillFan
21st March 2012, 19:15
McLaren domination please :D Button or Hamilton to win! be good to see Raikonen do well too and see if Mercedes can live up to promise of Australia Qualifying...

steveaki13
21st March 2012, 20:57
Well, let’s make a bit of a preview. :) And what do I personally expect... at least in dry conditions!

If McLaren can beat Red Bull again and win on a very different kind of circuit, they are certainly in a strong position for the championship.

Can RBR give a bigger challenge or even come out on top? With conditions being hotter, perhaps they can warm up the tyres quicker. I also suspect that this poor quali of Oz might have been an anomaly with poor setups. They should qualify at least on the second row. If so and they can run right after McLarens after the start, they will have a nice opportunity with good tyre management.

However, can’t see past Mercedes being a factor, especially in qualifying. With long straights especially Rosberg is a contender for pole and if he can hold up someone in the race, it can be a decisive moment. Like last year Heidfeld enabled Vettel to run away from others.

But how will Mercedes perform in the race? They should really make the tyres last on this very different circuit, otherwise it will be very alarming situation for them. There is still hope. Let’s remember 2005 and Toyota. Trulli cooked the tyres in Australia, dropping out of the points, but managed to finish second in Malaysia. Mercedes will be looking for the same. Alternatively we can remember Rosberg himself (at that time in a different team) leading half a race in 2009 before dropping to 8th by the time of the red flag... So which one will it be this weekend for Mercedes?

Lotus... With three fast teams at the front it could be a big ask from Grosjean to qualify in Top3 again. But who knows?! Remains to be seen whether Lotus can be that fast all season or was Australia particularly suitable for them, because they were fast in Oz in the last two years as well. But in any case, the team and drivers should be capable of achieving at least decent points.

Sauber is my tip for a major impression at Sepang. Australia’s weekend was highly compromised for them (poor quali, damaged cars, strategy), so I’m very impressed that despite all those setbacks they still managed to collect so many points. And looking at last few years and the designs of James Key, Sauber cars tend to be even faster on circuits with high emphasis on aerodynamics!

Williams. I’m not sure whether Maldonado can repeat his Top6 run again and how consistent is the Williams this year, but I think one would expect him to be a factor for minor points again.

I suspect Ferrari will have a difficult weekend. I still think that Alonso’s P5 was largely a result of most midfield runners hitting trouble either in qualifying or in the race. If it is an eventless race this time, Ferrari (or shall I say Alonso) will barely get into the points. If it rains, who knows... Although rain would be a proper hell for a driver in an ill-handling car...

STR. They look decent, but not good enough to head the midfield. Perhaps that would come during the season with strong development work. At the moment perhaps they can get a point or two at best unless it rains and at least one of their drivers is a true rainmaster.

Force India was a big disappointment of Australia. In winter testing it was suggested that they could be even at the head of the midfield, which should have seen a Top6 performance, but we saw them at the back of midfield instead. Was it track-specific and they can impress? If not, they need to repeat 2011 in terms of impressive development work during the season.

Great Post Jens :up:

I agree about Mercedes. They must have an effect on the race, they should be quick on the straights and in Quali should be on the front two rows. This will be a critical factor in the race, which must be a Mclaren v Red Bull fight

Also hope Force India show a better performance. Look forward to seeing how Hulkenberg does as he outperformed Di Resta last week

F1boat
22nd March 2012, 08:48
I think that the race will be very interesting... I hope that Vettel will win after a race with many overtaking maneuvers, after a qualy dominated by McLaren-Mercedes.

EuroTroll
22nd March 2012, 08:53
Considering McLaren's fuel calculation mistake in Australia, I think they'll have the upper hand in Malaysia. I predict a McLaren 1-2, with Button narrowly beating Hamilton.

EuroTroll
22nd March 2012, 09:12
I hope this one will be a wet race! http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rain/t111019.gif

From Planet-F1 (http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/7616592/Wet-weekend-expected-in-Malaysia):

According to the meteorologists, thunderstorms have been forecast for all three days and are expected late in the afternoon.

So expect a wet one...

N4D13
22nd March 2012, 10:42
Considering McLaren's fuel calculation mistake in Australia, I think they'll have the upper hand in Malaysia. I predict a McLaren 1-2, with Button narrowly beating Hamilton.
On a dry race, I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull beat McLaren, as the Bulls are supposed to have great aerodynamics. That said, Albert Park isn't a normal circuit, so we shouldn't expect the pecking order to be exactly the same in both circuits.

Then again, on a wet race, who knows what could happen? The car with the best aerodynamics might have the best chance at winning, but finding the right wet set-up is always a factor, not to mention driver skill. I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel managed to pull off a great win if it rained in Malaysia - he's the class of the field in wet conditions, IMHO.

NMMotorsport
22nd March 2012, 10:49
I am going for a strong mercedes finish. But the scrap will be with mclaren and red bull. Hamilton to win!!!

Follow us @N_M_Motorsport

jens
22nd March 2012, 10:56
Usually it rains later in the evening at Kuala Lumpur. Rain is predicted almost every year, but it rarely arrives during the race. We will see.

The Black Knight
22nd March 2012, 11:08
I'm going for Hamilton to win this race. I think he will have learned from Oz and sort out his tire issues. He had around a 3 tenths advantage over Button last year in this track so I reckon he'll do it in qualifying and also win the race.

52Paddy
22nd March 2012, 12:53
I'm stumped when it comes to predictions for this race. Judging driver/team form from Albert Park's round doesn't seem quite right given the different nature of the track. However, I was impressed with Button, Rosberg, Maldonado, the Lotus' and the Saubers. After the Australian GP, those drivers left me with high considerations of them for the year. If good performances are put in at the weekend, I'll have solidified my view-point more - a view-point which, currently and admittedly, is still mostly based on speculation.

Big Ben
22nd March 2012, 13:50
From Planet-F1 (http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/7616592/Wet-weekend-expected-in-Malaysia):

It seems to me being a meteorolgist in Malaysia is quite a tough job :laugh: .

janneppi
22nd March 2012, 14:13
Considering McLaren's fuel calculation mistake in Australia, I think they'll have the upper hand in Malaysia.
But will they be on top in Q3 with a heavier car? ;)

EuroTroll
22nd March 2012, 14:29

I was under the impression that qualifying is run with minimum fuel nowadays. :)

Koz
22nd March 2012, 14:32

Fail! :D

janneppi
22nd March 2012, 14:49
I was under the impression that qualifying is run with minimum fuel nowadays. :)

Well, that show's how little I followed the rules this year. Was it like that last year too? :D

EuroTroll
22nd March 2012, 14:52
Well, that show's how little I followed the rules this year. Was it like that last year too? :D

Yup. :D

DexDexter
22nd March 2012, 15:10

BTW, turbos are banned as well :)

22nd March 2012, 16:43
Malaysian Grand Prix 2012 Live Stream Watch Online free here. The 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix (formally the XIV Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix)[1] is a Formula One motor race scheduled to be held on 25 March, 2012 at the Sepang International Circuit. It will be the fourteenth running of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Malaysian Grand Prix 2012 Live Stream Online (http://www.sportsbun.com/formula1/malaysian-grand-prix-2012-live-stream-online/)

F1boat
22nd March 2012, 16:48
Rosberg

??? Why ???

ioan
22nd March 2012, 19:16
BTW, turbos are banned as well :)

:rotflmao: :up:

BDunnell
22nd March 2012, 19:35

It also shows how even an F1 enthusiast can become bamboozled by the endless rule changes. They bore me rigid to the point at which I simply don't care about that side of it.

52Paddy
22nd March 2012, 23:13
??? Why ???

I have no idea why I mentioned him. Sorry for the confusion.

EuroTroll
23rd March 2012, 07:45
Based on FP1 and FP2, it seems that Australia was a pretty good form guide after all, as not much seems to have changed. Macs dominate, Merc have excellent qualy speed, Red Bull are struggling, and Massa is woefully slow compared to Alonso.

ioan
23rd March 2012, 09:57
Based on FP1 Massa was better. Maybe they were on different testing work in FP2?
Should we wait for quali and race before jumping to conclusions?

EuroTroll
23rd March 2012, 09:59
Based on FP1 Massa was better. Maybe they were on different testing work in FP2?
Should we wait for quali and race before jumping to conclusions?

No, let's jump to conclusions NOW! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:D

wedge
23rd March 2012, 12:00
RBR struggling with set up.

"Webber came in after a fairly long run and the inside shoulder of the rear tyres looked fairly tatty. Red Bull have changed the front and rear torsion bars and the rear ride-height on his car. That's more than I've seen Red Bull change their car mechanically than over the last two years."

BBC Sport - Lewis Hamilton is fastest in both practice sessions at Sepang (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17484774)

But according to James Allen their long runs are competitive.

Tazio
23rd March 2012, 13:47
Kimi Raikkonen is set to lose five places on the grid for the Malaysian Grand Prix after a gearbox change following the second free practice.

Shortly after the session concluded, Lotus wrote on Twitter that an issue with the Finn's gearbox meant it would be changed before the start of the third and final practice session.

The team confirmed the change to AUTOSPORT, meaning Raikkonen looks set to lose five places.
Raikkonen set for grid penalty in the Malaysian Grand Prix - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98302)

jens
23rd March 2012, 14:38
Yeah, it looks like McLaren and Mercedes will be contenders for front row. In race trim besides McLaren and Red Bull also Lotus looks like a potential podium contender! So we'll see, what can Grosjean deliver and how can Räikkönen once again fight back from a compromised grid position after that penalty.

Tazio
23rd March 2012, 19:32
Longest stints in FP2
This might mean something if we knew the fuel loads :p :

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3600/p2longrunanalysis.jpg

MAX_THRUST
23rd March 2012, 20:43
Would be interesting to see how the new wet weather and inter tyres do? Be suprised if the Ferrari is good in the wet, but who knows? Also if it rains could we see a williams or Sauber perform well. Looking forward to seeing the MERC's do well. I agree I think they will be fast, and its gonna be fun watching Kimi come through the field again.

steveaki13
23rd March 2012, 22:07
I fancy Mclarens up front in Quali with Mercedes mixing it up on the front 2 rows and with Red bulls around and throw in a Renault and the early laps of the race should be fasinating.

steveaki13
23rd March 2012, 22:08
Opps I mean't Lotus.

Old habbits

Kevincal
24th March 2012, 00:51
i have a feeling Button is gonna win the title this year. mclaren obviously the best car and lewis, same guy from 2011... Mercedes are only good when using drs around the whole track but in race i think they wont be all that great.very lucky to get podiums this year. red bulls seem fairly evenly matched with mercedes vettel is an awesome driver but i think he will at times struggle for podium for instance this race. ferrari look like crap but alonso will still prolly manage a bunch of 5th places this year while felipe lucky to crack top 10 he will for sure not be at ferrari next year or atleast maybe hell be backup driver. lotus i think are flash in the pan kimi is rusty and not as good as he used to be and lotus is not top car romain, yet to be seen but he didnt impress in his first f1 outing and qualifying does not mean anything its only 1 lap i would like to see how well he can manage a whole race i have my serious doubts he will do anything special this year. the midfield, i could care less. i do hope hrt make it into this race though. being in california qualy is middle of the night tonight, gonna miss it. need my sleep. but ya i see jenson winning again.

Kevincal
24th March 2012, 06:12
Rosberg crushing them all by half a second in final practice, will be a disappointment if he doesnt qualify within the first 2 rows... but again race pace will probably not be there as the mercs have that super drs thats great for qualy but not so much for the race where you can hardly use it. schumi must be annoyed, 3 years now and rosberg is still quicker than him.

ferrari, felipe, man, i think he should be gone soon if he continues to be so slow and appearing to not care much when the camera is on him. send felipe back to sauber and lets see what krazy kobayashi can do in a ferrari. :) speaking of nicknames i thought of another good one for karthikeyan "Super Narain Kart" you know like super mario kart ;)

Williams looking fast in final practice, but prolly zero fuel runs, anyway, i think i will stay up for qualy, cant help it ;)

oh Lewis off.. pretty wild one, cant help but wonder if that car is still 100% im sure he rattled around the guts of that car pretty good... cant help his confidence.

renaults looking quick as well. but lets see what happens in qualy

ps - now that i think about it seems sauber may be quicker than ferrari this year soooo i guess defeats the purpose of kobi mass switch lol. ferrari better get their act together quickly this is embarrassing, letting their own feeder team beat them. that would be like toro rossos being quicker than rbr...

one last though i really think Rosberg should get a top ride. I dont really see the mercs as a top ride. there is time to prove me wrong this year but. I would like to see Rosberg at Red Bull replacing webber or even replace Lewis at McLaren! :P something has to be said for beating schumacher so frequently last 3 years, but then again schumi is getting old so, i dunno.

other thoughts, would be cool to see schumi replace massa at ferrari. :) rosberg would be good at ferrari too. next year...

whos contracts are up after this year by the way?

one more thought, lewis and rosberg switch seats next year. :) if lewis has another crap year like last year and if rosberg again convincingly beats schumi.

aryan
24th March 2012, 06:19
Well, FP3 is wet now apparently. What's the prediction for quali? Anyone knows?

EuroTroll
24th March 2012, 06:22
Well, FP3 is wet now apparently. What's the prediction for quali? Anyone knows?

No, FP3 was dry. Don't know the prediction for qualy, though.

aryan
24th March 2012, 07:02
No, FP3 was dry.

Ah! Stupid F1 Timing on their website said "session has been declared wet".

Obviously even partly wet is enough to declare it wet then.

Anyway, I reckon the Mercs can be fast in quali if it stays dry.

Kevincal
24th March 2012, 07:40
looked like it rained a small amount sometime before fp3 but there were only 1 or 2 very small rivers running accross the track and the rest of the track was dry. with about 30 minutes left in the session the track was completely dry.

always hard to guess qualy based on practice as some do heavy fuel and some light. You would have to tip red bull mclaren or mercedes as the best cars this year for qualy. renault is still looking sort of quick though around 5th. could be another spoiler top 3. rosberg was a full half second quicker than anyone in fp3 i really hope he does well in qualy would love to see him get pole. Lewis had a big moment and spun into the gravel but just managed to keep the engine under power and off road it out of the gravel and back to the pits.

Im gonna go with Rosberg for pole. if not then Vettel or Button. michael or lewis will be up there too though, webber might surprise as well.

N4D13
24th March 2012, 08:45
I was fearing that the Mercs wouldn't get into Q3! Fortunately, it was just that they were running later than the others.

Oh, and what an impressive lap from Kimi! Let's see if he can keep the momentum going into Q3.

Koz
24th March 2012, 08:47
Kimi is scary fast! He might just snatch pole.
Lotus 1-2 on the grid? :D

pino
24th March 2012, 08:51
Kimi is back ! :up

steveaki13
24th March 2012, 08:53
Such a shame about penalty otherwise a Kimi front 2 rows

i_max2k2
24th March 2012, 09:04
P1 - Lewis,
P2 - Button,
P3 - Schumacher, yes schumacher! :D

truefan72
24th March 2012, 09:08
hmm
I'm pretty satisfied with the 1-2
but a little worried about Hamilton's tire from that last corner lockup
a little less exuberant this time around. He better have a great start :|

Happy with MSC's 3rd place, I really thought it was going to be a mercedes 1-2
Kimi looks great, Lotus looks great, lets hope grosjean has a clean first few laps, it would be interesting to see how he does over a full race.

maldonado will be dangerous too
I expect fireworks between msc and webber at the start.
Neither driver likes to give up an inch of tarmac

its going to be a very interesting start

I'm surprised at the lack of pace of hulkenberg,( never mind that he and vergne are my FGP drivers :( )

I think Sutil would have dragged that Force India into P3

truefan72
24th March 2012, 09:09
Such a shame about penalty otherwise a Kimi front 2 rows

agreed. it was a bit of a rough p3 lap, but the kimster is right there

N4D13
24th March 2012, 09:16
Vettel might spring a surprise tomorrow, as he's starting on hard tyres. I was surprised by Alonso's time, specially after finding out that he did it on mediums and not on hards, but he told the Spanish TV that he'd done a slow lap because they didn't think that they had a chance to fight with the top 8 guys.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:17
Schumacher :bounce:
Kimi :bounce: Shame about the penalty.
Bieber :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So much about the new Senna. Yeah, Senna would have also struggled to beat a nr.2 teammate like webber. If they had as good drivers as McLaren they would have matched McLaren without any problems.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:18
Great qualifying session. Lewis again in front of Jenson, this isn't a big surprise, but the race will be the real test for Hamilton. Michael magnifecent with P3. :)

DexDexter
24th March 2012, 09:22
A very interesting race ahead. I can see Kimi passing a lot of people from 10th on the grid since Lotus have been the quickest cars on the straight for much of the weekend. Williams btw is now paying a heavy heavy price for having two mediocre drivers, they must be frustrated.

EuroTroll
24th March 2012, 09:25
Great to see Schumacher in a press conference again, but I'm sure he'll go backward in the race.

Decent job by Massa today, as well. Not great, but decent.

Finally, Kimi :up:

truefan72
24th March 2012, 09:29
A very interesting race ahead. I can see Kimi passing a lot of people from 10th on the grid since Lotus have been the quickest cars on the straight for much of the weekend. Williams btw is now paying a heavy heavy price for having two mediocre drivers, they must be frustrated.

I think you are on to something.
Maldonado is improved but still not the best option out there.
I think williams did not believe they were going to be this good car-wise
and thus went for the cheap route.

N4D13
24th March 2012, 09:29
Suits them for dropping Barrichello. Hey, I know that they needed the money, but I'm sure Rubens still had quite a bit of speed in him. Maldonado and Senna aren't crappy drivers, but I guess that Williams could have done better than that.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:30
Schumacher :bounce:
Kimi :bounce: Shame about the penalty.
Bieber :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So much about the new Senna. Yeah, Senna would have also struggled to beat a nr.2 teammate like webber. If they had as good drivers as McLaren they would have matched McLaren without any problems.
From what I understand Vettel was on a hard tyre, Mark on a medium one... this puts the results into perspective, if true.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:33
From what I understand Vettel was on a hard tyre, Mark on a medium one... this puts the results into perspective, if true.

Except Bieber said he wouldn't have been much faster on the options as he was struggling on those tyres.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:35
I say let's wait and see what happens tomorrow. I think that Vettel's strategy is sound and will deliver him another podium, behind the McLarens which right now are on different planet.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:37
I say let's wait and see what happens tomorrow. I think that Vettel's strategy is sound and will deliver him another podium, behind the McLarens which right now are on different planet.

McLarens are no faster than RB here.

Zico
24th March 2012, 09:40
Bieber :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So much about the new Senna. Yeah, Senna would have also struggled to beat a nr.2 teammate like webber.

Thats what I was thinking, outqualified by his team mate twice now. He is on hards though and you never know, it may just pay dividends in the race tomorow. I wouldn't dismiss his chances just yet...

I dont agree that the Red Bulls are equal to the McLarens, they may be pretty close in terms of race pace but I think its pretty clear that they just dont have the same qualy pace.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 09:51
I disagree with the idea that any car is as fast as the McLarens. When you score to successive 1-2s in qualifying, obviously you dominate. From what I remember even the Bulls didn't have 1-2s in qualifying in the opening races last year.
About Williams, I don't think that Barrichello would have done better than Maldonado. Pastor was beating him in qualy at the end of last year.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 09:56
I disagree with the idea that any car is as fast as the McLarens. When you score to successive 1-2s in qualifying, obviously you dominate. From what I remember even the Bulls didn't have 1-2s in qualifying in the opening races last year.
About Williams, I don't think that Barrichello would have done better than Maldonado. Pastor was beating him in qualy at the end of last year.

I showed in another thread how Red Bull was at least as fast as McLaren in the last race, but times and facts are irrelevant. Bieber fanatics will just go on about how much faster McLaren is.

jens
24th March 2012, 09:57
Wow, eight drivers from top4 teams all within 0.445 seconds! How tight and what a difference does that make from last year! :D

It didn’t prevent McLaren from locking out the front again though. Hamilton was holding low profile for much of the qualifying until coming alive in Q3. Lotus was fantastically quick and Kimi is back on form already in his second race weekend. Fastest in Q2! Without that penalty I would have thought Kimi could finish on podium. Now it is going to be a bit more difficult.

Rosberg ruined his lap again, while Schumi back in top3 for the first time since his comeback. Will be interesting to see, what can Vettel do on an alternative strategy tomorrow.

In midfield Pérez should have a good shot at decent points again. Wonder, why Kobayashi cocked up in Q2? Very disappointing.

Williams btw is now paying a heavy heavy price for having two mediocre drivers, they must be frustrated.

This is what happens, when you have poor results and as a result desperately need any money to produce a (decent) car for the future. Now the hope for Williams is that this good car (even if its potential won’t be properly fulfilled) attracts some additional sponsors, which would help them to sign up a great driver for 2013.

Have to say though that Maldonado reminds me a bit of Montoya. Really fast, but you never know about accidents.

Wow, you have a really big chip on your shoulders. And by the way, there are already complaints about your use of insulting nicknames instead of a real name. So make your conclusions.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 10:02
Wow, you have a really big chip on your shoulders. Personal insults are not allowed, don't you remeber? Shouldn't you be showing an example?

And by the way, there are already complaints about your use of insulting nicknames instead of a real name. So make your conclusions.
1) How is bieber an insulting nickname?
2) Really, how sensitive are people? I remember back in early 2000s MS was constantly referred to as Cheatmacher and I found it funny. Guess some people must be absolute losers and have no life whatsoever to complain about such issues.

F1boat
24th March 2012, 10:18
I showed in another thread how Red Bull was at least as fast as McLaren in the last race, but times and facts are irrelevant. Bieber fanatics will just go on about how much faster McLaren is.
Calling the sport's youngest champion with a nickname hardly makes your posts very relevant. It is very clear that you are biased against Vettel and if you think that the current Red Bull is faster than the McLaren, as I said in another post, I really can't help you.

jens
24th March 2012, 10:27
Personal insults are not allowed, don't you remeber? Shouldn't you be showing an example?

1) How is bieber an insulting nickname?
2) Really, how sensitive are people? I remember back in early 2000s MS was constantly referred to as Cheatmacher and I found it funny. Guess some people must be absolute losers and have no life whatsoever to complain about such issues.

Good observation! :) But if you want, you can also show good example to others!

Perhaps "Cheatmacher" would be funny in the beginning, but extensive use of such names would degrade the value of such "joke" quickly.

Bottom line is, a forum is like a form of society. Here are all kinds of different people and we shall show at least some adaptability in order to exist together. You are most welcome to criticize a driver you think is worth criticizing, but you can make your views understandable to other people only if you do it in a gentle manner.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 10:27
Calling the sport's youngest champion with a nickname hardly makes your posts very relevant. It is very clear that you are biased against Vettel and if you think that the current Red Bull is faster than the McLaren, as I said in another post, I really can't help you.

Yeah, I am the only biased one here.

I showed you data from last race which showed how Bieber was faster than McLarens at once when he got rid of MS, but I guess that is irrelevant to you? People just go on about him being 10 seconds slower in the first laps than McLarens, forgetting that he was stuck behind the Mercedes cars due to his bad qualifying (where he admitted to a mistake).
So I can't understand how anyone can say that they (mclaren) are in a world of their own.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 10:29
!

Perhaps "Cheatmacher" would be funny in the beginning, but extensive use of such names would degrade the value of such "joke" quickly.
I don't know, probably I have a twisted sense of humour, but I always found it very funny.

Bottom line is, a forum is like a form of society. Here are all kinds of different people and we shall show at least some adaptability in order to exist together. You are most welcome to criticize a driver you think is worth criticizing, but you can make your views understandable to other people only if you do it in a gentle manner. Gentle manner? That is like trying to teach a lion to be a herbivore :D

But what kind of a nickname can I use for my "favourite" driver then? I mean, Bieber is is quite funny, yet non-offensive.

DexDexter
24th March 2012, 12:04
I think you are on to something.
Maldonado is improved but still not the best option out there.
I think williams did not believe they were going to be this good car-wise
and thus went for the cheap route.

Williams made profit last year so they could have chosen different drivers. Lotus did the opposite and kicked mediocre paydrivers out and took two really good drivers instead and look where they are now. Obviously the speed of the car is essential but the whole team (Lotus) seems a lot more motivated than last year

wedge
24th March 2012, 14:15
Brilliant that Vettel is down in 6th.

A mark of a great driver is how the handle being on the back foot.

EuroTroll
24th March 2012, 15:41
But what kind of a nickname can I use for my "favourite" driver then?

:idea: How about "Vettel"?

markabilly
24th March 2012, 16:15
Red Bull has race pace, Mclaren has speed, Mercedes has da Shoe.

If it rains heavy, my money says Vettel to win.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th March 2012, 16:20
But what kind of a nickname can I use for my "favourite" driver then? I mean, Bieber is is quite funny, yet non-offensive.

I don't think that there could be any greater insult than being called 'Bieber'.

ANY!

MAX_THRUST
24th March 2012, 16:27
DID ANY ONE ELSE NOTICE SHCUMIS FACE??? He's got his race face back on after the last two years I got used to him looking happy and joking around. Today he had his old Ferrari days face back. Looking at the other card in parc feme', when he was interviewed he was all business. If the car works well on long runs he could be interesting come race day. Vetel's tiyre choice could be inspired but if he gets bogged down behind a slower car the front runners might get a big enough gap to make his day diifcult. He will need to pass cars early on so I expect him to be agressive. Its no good waiting for the cars in front to pit.

i_max2k2
24th March 2012, 16:27
I think Schumacher answered the question today that was first asked of him when he came back, before the Australian GP he said he can feel the car, which he never said in the past 2 years, perhaps this car is closer to what he would have wanted from the beginning. In a competitive car he is as close to the front as any one. I'm sure if he was in a macca he would have given hamilton a run for this money, I think he being a guy in his 40's and 'beyond it' is probably one of the most talented drivers we have ever seen, before we compare any of the pretenders with him again we should think does any of the guys in the current line up will ever have the balls to stay in an extremely competitive sport and perform as well as he is doing after being criticized so much in their 40's. Clearly whatever he still has is enough to be among the fastest with rest of the 5 champions.

Kevincal
24th March 2012, 18:39
lewis or jenson are gonna win. Unfortunately its gone from red bull domination last 2 years to Mclaren domination... Vettel will be lucky to get 3rd, schumi very lucky to get 3rd as well, he doesnt sound optimistic about how the mercs chew up tires worse than other teams. renault (or lotus, hate calling them that), seem quick in qualy trim but i dont think their race pace will be anything special and Grosjean is very inexperienced and kimi is not motivated. alonso will be lucky to get as good as 5th again. massa, forget it. rosberg, what the heck? he is really disappointing lately. not delivering when it counts. it would be so fun to see schumacher win though, or atleast podium. i think jenson will get the best of lewis again. the tires are more fragile than ever it seems and jenson is way better with tires than lewis.

ioan
24th March 2012, 23:07
I don't think that there could be any greater insult than being called 'Bieber'.

ANY!

Like Garry Bieber for example!? ;)

ioan
24th March 2012, 23:09
Great quali by MS!
One of his usual starts would help spice up tomorrow's race!

tfp
25th March 2012, 00:30
Nice to see the Shoe up there again, fingers crossed for a podium tomorrow. I think he should have had one in Canada last year, maybe he can make up for that tomorrow :)

airshifter
25th March 2012, 06:06
Interesting results. I know both Button and Hamilton have matured, but if either of them even tries to claim that MS having his car pointed directly at the apex of turn one on the starting line doesn't rattle them at least a bit..... well.... hopefully they have the integrity to not claim such a thing. If MS can hang one it could get very interesting when DRS is enabled, or possibly even before then. The AMG has the trap speed over the Mclaren, and we all know how wide MS can make a car once out in front.

Interesting for Vettel to go to the harder compound. I'm wondering if they hope to run later in case of rain, or if they thought they could run long enough to avoid a stop? In either case a great time considering the tires.

Sucks that Kimi has the penalty. It would be nice to see him start up near the front the way he qualified. MS and Kimi running behind you should surely apply pressure on just about anyone. :D

airshifter
25th March 2012, 06:07
Nice to see the Shoe up there again, fingers crossed for a podium tomorrow. I think he should have had one in Canada last year, maybe he can make up for that tomorrow :)

It would be great to see him on the podium once again. It was great just seeing him in the interview room after placing top 3 in qually.

EuroTroll
25th March 2012, 06:40
It would be great to see him on the podium once again.

It would be nice, indeed. But unlikely, I think. Not only is there a tyre degradation issue, but also he obviously can't super-DRS around the whole lap, like in qualifying. I think the latter is the main reason why Merc's race pace is poorer than their qualifying pace.

N4D13
25th March 2012, 09:20
Having a safety car during the race or even a red flag period in every wet race is becoming a tradition in Formula One these days.

Hard to disagree with Whiting's call, though - the cars had absolutely no grip in S3 and they were aquaplaning off the track, so it was a fine decision IMHO.

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 09:26
:idea: How about "Vettel"?
No.

ANY! :D

The joke that is F1 continues.

ioan
25th March 2012, 09:42
Stupid BE thanks to his idiotic time slots for this race we get no race at all. By the time the track starts to dry it will be too dark to race.

gm99
25th March 2012, 09:45
Number of lessons learned from Malaysia 2009: Zero.

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 09:48
Stupid BE thanks to his idiotic time slots for this race we get no race at all. By the time the track starts to dry it will be too dark to race.

Yep, that is the issue, but Bernie loves these wet races as the really spice up the show.

As ever

ioan
25th March 2012, 09:55
Yep, that is the issue, but Bernie loves these wet races as the really spice up the show.

I can't see the show. Exciting as it might be for BE to watch the rain I find it boring!

ioan
25th March 2012, 09:58

Malaysia 2009 was one of only 5 races that ended with only half points in the whole F1 history.
Looks like today we will witness the 6th one, the 2nd in 3 years and the 2nd in Malaysia!

ioan
25th March 2012, 10:03
As expected they will restart under SC in order to give the plebeian another 30 minutes of 'show'!

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 10:07
Malaysia 2009 was one of only 5 races that ended with only half points in the whole F1 history.
Looks like today we will witness the 6th one, the 2nd in 3 years and the 2nd in Malaysia!
And again, Great job Bernie, Great job.

As expected they will restart under SC in order to give the plebeian another 30 minutes of 'show'!

Yeah, I am burning with excitement too. Those SC races really are why I watch F1 for, this might actually be one of the best races I have ever seen. In fact, this race is so exciting I think I am getting sexually turned on.

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 10:07
Stupid thing is its drier now than half the 6 racing laps we had. :dozey:

They could go now and one lap under SC and start, rather than 15 minute delay and then wait behind SC. :confused:

Tis a bit of a joke. :rotflmao:

ioan
25th March 2012, 10:11
Stupid thing is its drier now than half the 6 racing laps we had. :dozey:

They could go now and one lap under SC and start, rather than 15 minute delay and then wait behind SC. :confused:

Tis a bit of a joke. :rotflmao:

That's not all, wet tires are mandatory in order to ensure the plebeian get some more pit lane show!

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 10:14
That's not all, wet tires are mandatory in order to ensure the plebeian get some more pit lane show!

Should F1 be on Saturday evenings now, so its show can fit in between Xfactor and Strictly. ;) :dozey:

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 10:15

Yeah, so Vergne and Narain got a free stop. I wouldn't really mind, but I have some money on Vergne not making the top 10 :D

ioan
25th March 2012, 10:31
Button for donkey today!

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 10:34
Yes, it was Button's fault, but my god, I really hope HRT goes bankrupt. They are just far too slow.

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:13
They had at least 10 laps of dry track for slick by now, yet none of them did try, what a bunch of puppets on the pit wall.

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:16
STR might be reading this!

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:21
Big mistake by Sauber, they should have called Perez in for slick.

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:23
Perez lost a bunch of time there,stupid stupid Sauber.

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 11:32
Yeah, that McLaren really is so superior to Red Bull. Stupid people.

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 11:33
Bieber killed his tyres. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 11:34
He cut in front of Narain, deserved punishment.

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:34
Stupid Vettel.

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 11:40
Well, Perez was so close. Had Sauber pitted him at the right time...

ioan
25th March 2012, 11:51
Well done Perez! His strategist cost him the win.
Not sure that Alonso will want this guy as his team mate!

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 11:53
Well done Perez! His strategist cost him the win.

I think you could be right there.

F1boat
25th March 2012, 11:54
Great race, I am so happy for Fernando! Drove like a boss :)

donKey jote
25th March 2012, 11:59

yawn. still flogging the old chestnut eh? :p

truefan72
25th March 2012, 12:02
Perez could have had it
but oh well, it was a fantastic drive, possibly a "replace massa" drive

congrats Alonso, solid drive
Hamilton did the best he could recovering from the pit crew mistakes

Senna did well
man. I can't wait for China.
3 weeks seems like an eternity now

AndyL

Why not? He took the order to let Alonso win ;)

donKey jote
Perez could have had it
but oh well, it was a fantastic drive, possibly a "replace massa" drive

hopefully :)

truefan72
25th March 2012, 12:03
Yeah, that McLaren really is so superior to Red Bull. Stupid people.

still going on about this?
give it a rest
& the mclaren was/is stronger than the RBR

spudrsca
25th March 2012, 12:10
I'm glad Button didn't finish in the point.
If Mclaren focus too much on Button, it will be the chance for the other teams.

And Button for all his glory about his kindness to tires is always miles away when he's on intermediate tires.

Tazio
25th March 2012, 12:11
:s ailor:
Stupid Vettel.http://s10.postimage.org/6c7uby1xl/RTL_Television_2012_03_25_12_33_31.jpg

F1boat
25th March 2012, 12:14
I'm glad Button didn't finish in the point.
If Mclaren focus too much on Button, it will be the chance for the other teams.

Button made a mistake, but deserves equal status to Lewis, Hamilton currently is solid, but not lightning fast.

Roamy
25th March 2012, 12:14
One hell of a race

Tazio
25th March 2012, 12:15
Hail Caesar
http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20061029elpepudep_3/XLCO/Ies/Fernando_Alonso_recibe_calor_Oviedo.jpg

spudrsca
25th March 2012, 12:16
Button made a mistake, but deserves equal status to Lewis, Hamilton currently is solid, but not lightning fast.

I'm not asking more.
I'm just saying I have the feeling they give more support to Button.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th March 2012, 12:17
Would Perez want the other Ferrari seat at the moment when Sauber have a better car? :p

Tazio
25th March 2012, 12:30
Would Perez want the other Ferrari seat at the moment when Sauber have a better car? :p I know you're joking, but ever since they hired that female CEO they have started to really improve!

Tazio
25th March 2012, 12:39
give it a rest

http://thumbnails46.imagebam.com/18150/77f739181495023.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/77f739181495023)

Alfa Fan
25th March 2012, 12:49
A couple of thoughts:

- It seems Pirelli is wasting everyone's money by bringing any tyres beyond the intermediates to a GP. Every time we go to extreme wets it just goes to safety car which stays out so long that they are able to change back to Intermediates again. Is it time we consider not having wet GPs at all if this is going to be the reaction? What is the point of an extreme wet if it is never, ever used?

- Sauber/Perez just goes to show one of the problems of having the main manufacturers supplying secondary teams. Spoiled a potentially great end to the race.

jens
25th March 2012, 13:03
Wow, what an incredible race. Ferrari and Sauber running away from McLaren and Red Bull?!?! Well, who would have thought that. I have to say this year we have a situation, when performances in qualifying and race seem to vary a lot. Saturday’s grid is no indication of what to expect on Sunday. Ferrari and Sauber may well narrowly make it into Q3, but they can be front-runners. Mercedes on the other hand...

Probably Ferrari was well-suited to wet conditions, they seem to have genuine pace especially on full tanks. I will certainly keep them in higher regard for the future.

Sauber. Based on Australia we knew they are fast. We didn’t see it properly in Oz due to traffic, but now Pérez showed, what can be done in clean air! They are incredibly fast especially on worn tyres. By the way, Sauber’s stand-out reminds a bit of Force India at Spa in 2009. A big surprise – very close to win, even should have won it.

McLaren. Mr Consistency Button let himself down this time. His first half of the race was like in Canada last year, but this time he didn’t get a safety car late in the race to save himself. Interesting that Hamilton hasn’t shone with race pace early in the season, but consistency has brought him the points.

RBR. I guess tyre-heating causes more serious issues for them in the wet, so they never came alive. Clumsy error by Vettel in the end. Difficult start to the season, bit like Schumacher in 2003 after returning from a dominant season.

Lotus. Good solid drive by Räikkönen. Grosjean at the moment has a reputation of a „one-lap-wonder“. Something he needs to get rid of during the rest of the season.

Mercedes. What a horrible race pace, like in Australia they again got owned by most midfield teams in race trim. Huge amount of work to do. No use of banging fast laps on Saturday if you are last of the established teams in WCC.

Williams. Strong race pace got confirmed again. Bruno’s strength is wet/damp conditions and he delivered the result. Best result of his career after a difficult start, well-done!

Force India. Considering the car isn’t particularly fast at the moment, I think they should be satisfied with the points they collected.

STR. Vergne showed his potential – first F1 points on board, congratulations.

Caterham. I have to say Petrov has adapted well to the car. Decent performance in the race again.

HRT. Was great to see Karthikeyan in the points before the red flag. :D Their highlight of the season!

Marussia. Quite invisible, but still holding onto P10 in WCC.

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 14:23
give it a rest

What are you on about? Both RB guys were clearly faster than Hamilton on dry tyres, on wet tyres at the beginning Webber was doing well, but Bieber was extremely slow.

Based on this weekend, on dry track, RB in a race is clearly superior to McLaren.

Mia 01
25th March 2012, 14:27
Congrats to Perez, Alonso and Senna in that order.

The strategy (a bit of luck there) won both Saubers and Ferraris races, but both drivers did excellent jobs.

Solid job from Kimi, in his second race he drove a controlled race in diddicult conditions.

Lewis, a solid third place. But, what happened to the race pace?

donKey jote
25th March 2012, 14:58
- Sauber/Perez just goes to show one of the problems of having the main manufacturer supplying secondary teams. Spoiled a potentially great end to the race.
No it didn't. :dozey:
If the secondary team in question wasn't supplied by the main manufacturer it would probably have been nowhere near the front for the great end. :)

Tazio
25th March 2012, 15:20
Sauber has been a test team fot Ferrari for for quite a while

wedge
25th March 2012, 16:24
- It seems Pirelli is wasting everyone's money by bringing any tyres beyond the intermediates to a GP. Every time we go to extreme wets it just goes to safety car which stays out so long that they are able to change back to Intermediates again. Is it time we consider not having wet GPs at all if this is going to be the reaction? What is the point of an extreme wet if it is never, ever used?

Charlie Whiting is being too cautious trying to pre-empt numerous cars spinning off and then the when the SC peeled off it was the right window to pit to change tyres again.

He's a bit of a joke these days, Charlie please retire.

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 16:29
Charlie Whiting is being too cautious trying to pre-empt numerous cars spinning off and then the when the SC peeled off it was the right window to pit to change tyres again.

I agree, but look at the reaction of some people on here whenever we see what I consider just to be hard racing — cries that it's too dangerous or whatever. I see the caution you describe as a symptom of such attitudes.

The Black Knight
25th March 2012, 16:44

I think he'll get better as the season progresses. He pulled 2.5 secs before SC out on Button today. My feeling is that he has had to sacrifice a little race speed in order to avoid eating up the tyres. He had had a solid start to the season. Two poles, two podiums. He seems lightning quick to me but Button has also improved a lot and is much quicker than Many of us imagined he would be.

spudrsca
25th March 2012, 20:05
I think he'll get better as the season progresses. He pulled 2.5 secs before SC out on Button today. My feeling is that he has had to sacrifice a little race speed in order to avoid eating up the tyres. He had had a solid start to the season. Two poles, two podiums. He seems lightning quick to me but Button has also improved a lot and is much quicker than Many of us imagined he would be.

If they adapt their strategy to give him the optimum one during the race.
What I hate in Mclaren since last year, it's the stategy around Lewis.
How many time did they choose the worst possible one for him.
Australia this year, when Vettel was catching him on the first stint, why say to him to do so many laps.
It was like Mclaren didn't want him to have a glimse of a chance to be near Jenson on the hard tires for the second stint, making sure that Button would be the winner.

And when he's talking to his engineers, they always tell him that everything is fine and that he must stick to the plan.
Compare that with Jenson, the team adapts the strategy to give him the optimum one.

RS
25th March 2012, 22:06
Interesting to compare Lewis' attitude after this race to the last, despite qualifying and finishing in the same positions on each. It seems beating his team mate is really important to him. And I thought he was trying to leave the holywood lifestyle behind and concentrate on the job, so maybe he shouldn't take his pop tart to the races?

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 22:25
Interesting to compare Lewis' attitude after this race to the last, despite qualifying and finishing in the same positions on each. It seems beating his team mate is really important to him. And I thought he was trying to leave the holywood lifestyle behind and concentrate on the job, so maybe he shouldn't take his pop tart to the races?

I don't like to make assumptions based on short TV clips, which is, after all, what we get to see, but it strikes me from these limited impressions that he doesn't know what he wants. Button's personality and demeanour are pretty unchanging, yet from Hamilton we get all last year's antics, then remarks to the effect that his 'head is in the right place' for 2012, followed by his behaviour after Melbourne and now his comments following the race today. On this basis, not seeking to deny his great natural abilities as a driver, I would query his ability truly to think for himself. Maybe this is what comes from the career progression he's had.

rjbetty
25th March 2012, 23:23
2012 Malaysian GP - www.rjbetty84.com (http://rjbetty.weebly.com/2012-malaysian-gp.html)

I've ranked everyone here - and completed it today!

rjbetty
26th March 2012, 00:10
[quote="Alfa Fan"]
Is it time we consider not having wet GPs at all if this is going to be the reaction? What is the point of an extreme wet if it is never, ever used?
[quote]

This thought has been scaring me for many years. The thought that like wimpy Tennis and Cricket, the presence of a single raindrop will stop all play. I have long forseen a day when there will never be any wet running at all, an wet sessions will be a thing of the past, like retirements and gravel traps (basically any penalty for error)... I dread the FIA reading this and getting ideas...

Hmmm so I can't get the quotes to work either...

i_max2k2
26th March 2012, 00:18
I think the most logical conclusion I can make from race pace is, that Mclarens, Mercs and RBR bet on a dry weather race and most of the midfield including Ferrari on a wet weather race, and running with those respective setups. Lewis, Vettel, Button and Schumi were not as mighty as they usually are in a wet race, which really goes to verify their setups.

wedge
26th March 2012, 01:03

I found it worrying.

He dropped pace on Perez and falling into the clutches of Vettel and even Webber was catching.

But no doubt I do think he will find the equilibrium.

I don't like to make assumptions based on short TV clips, which is, after all, what we get to see, but it strikes me from these limited impressions that he doesn't know what he wants. Button's personality and demeanour are pretty unchanging, yet from Hamilton we get all last year's antics, then remarks to the effect that his 'head is in the right place' for 2012, followed by his behaviour after Melbourne and now his comments following the race today. On this basis, not seeking to deny his great natural abilities as a driver, I would query his ability truly to think for himself. Maybe this is what comes from the career progression he's had.

Certainly I think its fair to say he's taken his Blackberry and its lists on contacts for granted.

Last year I remember he said spent a day with R&B singer Mary J Blige and that me go "Jeeez..." but not long ago he admitted his work/social balance wasn't right and wants his entourage to br Nicole, Nic & mum.

Button too had his problems.

Caterham’s chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne worked with Button in the early stages of his career. Gascoyne was part of the Renault management team, led by Flavio Briatore, who let the Somerset-born driver go at the end of 2002, bringing in a young Fernando Alonso instead.

Briatore branded Button a “lazy playboy” adding “time will tell if I am wrong”. Gascoyne concedes Button was immature, and badly advised by his management, but he is hugely impressed by the driver Button has become, so much so he believes Hamilton’s attitude needs to change if he is to match him.

“They are both great drivers,” Gascoyne said ahead of Saturday’s qualifying. “The difference now is that Jenson can handle it when Lewis wins but Lewis really struggles when Jenson does. We saw that after *Melbourne and it is something Lewis has to deal with.

“Jenson has learned from all the struggles and the pressures he had to deal with early on in his career. He saw off Jacques Villeneuve in his team [BAR] and he has handled Lewis in his team.” Gascoyne believes this era of fast-wearing Pirelli tyres play heavily to Button’s strengths. “Jenson was always very smooth,” he said. “In the race he is able to look after the tyres. Lewis is struggling to match that and, with his attacking style, the more aggression he puts in the harder it gets for him in the race.

“When Jenson was at Benetton he had the talent but he had management who filled his head with all sorts of things. Now he is the same nice guy, same talent, but mentally very strong.”

Malaysian Grand Prix 2012: McLaren's Lewis Hamilton fastest in first and second practice at Sepang - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9162099/Malaysian-Grand-Prix-2012-McLarens-Lewis-Hamilton-fastest-in-first-and-second-practice-at-Sepang.html)

Kevincal
26th March 2012, 01:04
really exciting race after the boring start and red flag. Alonso, just amazing. Although it must be said obvious team orders were given to Perez to not attempt to pass Alonso which he probably could have easily done, I would even go as far as to say Perez little off may have been a bit on purpose to make it more believable. That radio transmission to Perez saying "we need this position etc" to me was clearly saying "we are ferrari feeder team and must bow to them". Also Perez knows he may very well go to Ferrari soon so it all worked out perfect but it would have been even more exciting to see a REAL and not contrived race with Perez vs Alonso. Oh well. Still will probably be one of the best races all year. Hamilton maybe driving too conservative worrying about wearing his tires down. Button made a very dumb decision after wrecking his front wing. obviously he was flustered and complaining about lack of grip but to come in for a pit stop for the exact same tires? completely stupid. he had hardly been on intermediates long and they were far from worn. oh well.

massa, ouch, bye bye soon massa. i think the only reason ferrari shows felipe respect is felipe should have won that championship back in 2008 if not for the fishy business of timo glock slowing allowing hamilton to win title i think ferrari to this day feel they and felipe deserved that championship. also not to mention it was not felipes fault his horror crash with spring hitting him in face. but felipe will be gone from ferrari at the very least after this year NO DOUBT and Perez seems a perfect fit if he can keep up this outstanding form, another plus is he and fernando should get along great both hispanic both spanish speakers.

mercedes, bad luck for schumi getting spun out, he has had horrendous bad luck since returning to f1 but maybe its partly his fault for putting himself in harms way and not being careful enough running with midfielders, his whole career he was used to running with top runners and i think hes not used to the fact that midfielders make so many mistakes and you cant run very close to them safely, just my take. rosberg has just been so mediocre lately in races. dunno whats up with him. he seems unmotivated, i think hes overly frustrated that hes been in a car so many years now not capable of winning when he has had the talent, the guys beats schumi on a normal basis, i really think he deserves a ride at red bull or ferrari. probably moreso than Perez.

kimi did well for sure, and grosjean is having a horror start to the season.

it was an enjoyable race for me, been a disgruntled alonso fan the past several years. brought a smile to my face to see him win when it was totally unexpected. this championship is shaping up to be exciting maybe like 2010. that would be nice, last year was just horribly boring.

BDunnell
26th March 2012, 01:07
Button too had his problems.

Indeed, but I think that was more of a blip than has been Hamilton's apparent problem. It was seemingly more easily dealt with.

wedge
26th March 2012, 01:22
Indeed, but I think that was more of a blip than has been Hamilton's apparent problem. It was seemingly more easily dealt with.

Probably after he brought himself out his Williams contract and got himself new management did he seem more comfortable being an F1 driver and its entrappings.

BDunnell
26th March 2012, 11:05
Probably after he brought himself out his Williams contract and got himself new management did he seem more comfortable being an F1 driver and its entrappings.

Indeed.

zako85
26th March 2012, 13:46
That radio transmission to Perez saying "we need this position etc" to me was clearly saying "we are ferrari feeder team and must bow to them".

No, that's _your_ wild speculation. The most logical interpretation for "we need this position" is "bring it home, please". Top teams can risk their position for the sake of winning race. For Sauber, it would have been too much of a gamble.

RS
26th March 2012, 15:43
Sauber should have got on the radio to Perez and said "Fernando is faster than you" ;)

zako85
27th March 2012, 19:18
I turned on SpeedTV a few minutes ago. They were showing the rerun of F1 race, and it was _exactly_ the moment when Perez loses his car in a corner. Such a lost opportunity...

It almost qualified for "J. R. Hildebrand moment" of this year (those who don't know what I mean, watch the last two laps of last year's Indy 500). I am sure that Perez will get to win in his career, but I am not sure if this moment will come in a Sauber.

Tazio
27th March 2012, 22:09
http://www.f1talks.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/alonso_mirrors.jpg

truefan72
28th March 2012, 02:06
so what's the point of the picture?
...and you wonder why the tifosi have the reputation they do

Tazio
28th March 2012, 05:37
so what's the point of the picture?
...and you wonder why the tifosi have the reputation they do
You are going to draw a conclusion (first that I am Tifosi which I'm not) and you know that "you can't argue with results" I am an American and so are you. You can quit trying to draw some socio-cultural difference. I just happen to pull for Ferrari (and others) and you pull for McLaren. I also think it speaks volumes, by indicting yourself as a card carrying member of the” fun police”. I posted a screen grab that I thought captured the ambiance of the closing laps of the race. I think it speaks for itself. You are the one that has a problem here not me.
Here, check this out. Maybe it will cheer you up :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ATzOeO32yY[/quote]

Why you have to hate so much bra?

F1boat
28th March 2012, 12:44
I also find nothing wrong with the picture, it is beautiful, in my opinion.

truefan72
28th March 2012, 18:14
I also find nothing wrong with the picture, it is beautiful, in my opinion.

It may be
but what's the point of the picture in this thread with no comment at all
If every fan of every driver/team just started posting race pics of their fav driver/team after winning a race, several pages into a thread, it would be somewhat bothersome

it smacks of overkill IMO of fandom and his followup email rambling of some socio/geo nonsense is simply absurd on every level

jens
28th March 2012, 18:20
And here also - you shall not be bothered about a minor issue. :) A picture here and there doesn't do much harm. If anything, it can be an addition if integrated well into the topic. Once we get flooded with pictures, it would be a different matter.

truefan72
28th March 2012, 21:54
And here also - you shall not be bothered about a minor issue. :) A picture here and there doesn't do much harm. If anything, it can be an addition if integrated well into the topic. Once we get flooded with pictures, it would be a different matter.

duly noted,

but some kind of caps along with the picture would be worth the effort
but the poster seems to be a bit over enthusiastic over several post in the thread, and then pages later, simply adds a pic with no reference
oh well
time to move on :)

F1boat
29th March 2012, 09:54
It may be
but what's the point of the picture in this thread with no comment at all

It is a beautiful picture of the race winner and the runner-up, I think that it needs no comment. I think that we should all calm down a little bit :)

kfzmeister
10th April 2012, 05:11
Alonso, just amazing. Although it must be said obvious team orders were given to Perez to not attempt to pass Alonso which he probably could have easily done, I would even go as far as to say Perez little off may have been a bit on purpose to make it more believable. That radio transmission to Perez saying "we need this position etc" to me was clearly saying "we are ferrari feeder team and must bow to them". Also Perez knows he may very well go to Ferrari soon so it all worked out perfect but it would have been even more exciting to see a REAL and not contrived race with Perez vs Alonso. Oh well.

Hilarious!