View Full Version : Donkey of the Race

EuroTroll
18th March 2012, 07:44
Maldonado!! :mad:

I was so happy for a solid points finish for Williams. :rolleyes:

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 07:52
Well Maldonado did make a big mistake.

But the pace he showed in that car was impressive. He may have made an error, but I don't think he was donkey of the race.

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 07:53
My Donkey was Massa.

He had a poor Ferrari, but Alonso dragged it up the field, whereas all day Massa was slow and being past by others.

Another poor race sadly for him. Will Ferrari bring in Luca Badoer before to long.

N4D13
Yup. Maldonado drove 57 great laps, then made an @$$ out of himself in the last one.

I can't single out any particular driver for Donkey of the Race this time. But Maldonado, Massa and Senna (he was absolutely nowhere while Maldonado was fighting for fifth) could have been contenders.

F1boat
Pastor should have wielded that 5th place to Alonso and Ferrari, but IMO Massa is the donkey of the race.

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 07:55
Maldonado, Massa. The first had a great race till crashing out, the second was just destroying his tyres and doing nothing. Very sad.

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:01
Yup. Maldonado drove 57 great laps, then made an @$$ out of himself in the last one.

I can't single out any particular driver for Donkey of the Race this time. But Maldonado, Massa and Senna (he was absolutely nowhere while Maldonado was fighting for fifth) could have been contenders.

Senna wasn't on Maldonado's pace today, but he did have a lap 1 collision that sent him spinning and then a 1st lap pitstop, so it wasn't a completley equal comparison.

ArrowsFA1
18th March 2012, 08:02
No real donkeys for me. Maybe Maldonado but he was racing for position to the end. The only thing against him was (amazingly) his Williams was competing with a Ferrari and perhaps he should have taken what he had rather than going for more. We know Massa isn't on Alonso's pace so his performance was no big surprise.

N4D13
18th March 2012, 08:03
Senna wasn't on Maldonado's pace today, but he did have a lap 1 collision that sent him spinning and then a 1st lap pitstop, so it wasn't a completley equal comparison.
I had forgotten about that. In that case, I'll have to remove him from my list. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Roamy
18th March 2012, 08:04
My Donkey was Massa.

He had a poor Ferrari, but Alonso dragged it up the field, whereas all day Massa was slow and being past by others.

Another poor race sadly for him. Will Ferrari bring in Luca Badoer before to long.

I expect to see Kubica as soon as he can hold the wheel.

Dave B
18th March 2012, 08:15
On face value it has to be Maldonado but it's difficult to be cross with someone who made a go-for-broke move on a former champion in the dying stages of a race. There were a few clumsy moves all through the field but that's only to be expected on the first day back at school, and nothing which happened on track was particularly worthy of a Donkey award today.

ioan
18th March 2012, 08:16
Close one between Maldonado and Rosberg. At least Maldonado had speed, so it goes to Rosberg for his last lap move.
Though not really a bad race as Dave mentioned it.

AndyL
18th March 2012, 08:19
On face value it has to be Maldonado but it's difficult to be cross with someone who made a go-for-broke move on a former champion in the dying stages of a race.

I agree. I'm more disappointed with how he ended Grosjean's race.

ioan
18th March 2012, 08:20
I agree. I'm more disappointed with how he ended Grosjean's race.

That was an honest racing incident.

F1boat
18th March 2012, 08:20
Close one between Maldonado and Rosberg. At least Maldonado had speed, so it goes to Rosberg for his last lap move.
Though not really a bad race as Dave mentioned it.

I think that Mercedes might have had problems with the cooling, they seemed like suddenly they are losing their speed... but Nico always fades... he may score his points, like a bee,but will never be strong when a battle comes. See how Vettel owned him? Ridiculous. Not that Seb never tried to force his way against Mike.

jens
18th March 2012, 08:26
So Maldonado has lost two 6th places with accidents in his F1 career already near the end of a race. When will he finally get his break? Reminds Sutil, who also lost some good points in his first few years in F1.

Massa was terrible. The car is difficult to drive, but his race-pace was embarrassing compared Alonso. Unless there were some problems with the car, this driver should not drive for the Prancing Horse.

Among teams it is Mercedes, because they were plain slow after promising qualifying.

CNR
18th March 2012, 11:13
mclaren for double stacking the cars in pit lane a 888 v8 vodafone thing
Massa

HRT (maybe they should have run the holden racing team)

BDunnell
18th March 2012, 11:15
I think that Mercedes might have had problems with the cooling, they seemed like suddenly they are losing their speed... but Nico always fades... he may score his points, like a bee,but will never be strong when a battle comes. See how Vettel owned him? Ridiculous. Not that Seb never tried to force his way against Mike.

But have we yet seen Rosberg in a car that has winning pace over an entire race distance?

fandango
18th March 2012, 11:48
Massa, I'm sorry to say. I've always liked him, and cautioned others against writing him off, but if he continues like that I could see Ferrari replacing him come Barcelona. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a certain young out-of-work F1 driver's father, who happens to be from Barcelona, hasn't already been in touch with a certain Spanish banker....

N. Jones
18th March 2012, 11:53
I expect to see Kubica as soon as he can hold the wheel.

I'm thinking the same thing.

For me, there is no real donkey, although I was really hoping for Massa to come through but he disappointed in qualifying. His race was no different.

I think it's time to jettison "Ol Phil".

djparky
18th March 2012, 11:56
Maldonado- f****** idiot for flinging the car into the wall half way round the last lap- there was alot of shouting and swearing at the TV when I saw that happen- 8 good points for the team- only consolation I get is that the car does look competitive- but counts for bugger all if its end in the wall

pino
18th March 2012, 13:12
Maldonado- f****** idiot for flinging the car into the wall half way round the last lap- there was alot of shouting and swearing at the TV when I saw that happen- 8 good points for the team- only consolation I get is that the car does look competitive- but counts for bugger all if its end in the wall

There's no need for such a rude language, so cool down and think before posting thank you :)

The Black Knight
18th March 2012, 13:20
Maldonado. He's a pretty safe bet for donkey at any race anyway. Felipe as well for just being thrashed by his teammate yet again.

AndyL
18th March 2012, 13:26
mclaren for double stacking the cars in pit lane a 888 v8 vodafone thing

Apparently it is a practiced move - according to Martin Whitmarsh they were thinking about doing it for the first round of stops when they were only 6 seconds apart!

Nikki Katz
18th March 2012, 14:26
I would've said that Maldonado had a great race other than crashing on the last lap, but his comments afterwards that he barely touched Grosjean and definitely was not the cause of his retirement annoyed me as he didn't even have his wheels pointing in the same direction after the incident.

Ummm, I'd still go Massa for donkey tho.

Knock-on
18th March 2012, 15:08
Massa was very poor all weekend. I know we expect it but he still gets the Donkey. At least the other contenders tried.

BDunnell
18th March 2012, 15:12
I would've said that Maldonado had a great race other than crashing on the last lap, but his comments afterwards that he barely touched Grosjean and definitely was not the cause of his retirement annoyed me as he didn't even have his wheels pointing in the same direction after the incident.

It did look like quite a light touch, though. And Maldonado had that corner.

Malbec
18th March 2012, 15:17

Senna had the luxury of running in free air after his first lap incident though, even then he wasn't on Maldonaldo's pace. I don't know how much structural damage he had on board though.

Maldonaldo gets my vote but I think his error was quite a small one albeit with disastrous consequences. Massa was poor but this is not something limited to just this one race so sadly he merely performed at the level we've come to expect of him regularly.

christophulus
18th March 2012, 15:37
Aaaargh! Maldonado really blew that, but up til then he'd been brilliant.

I agree with Massa, maybe he's contractually obliged to be 6/10ths slower than Alonso? :D

wedge
18th March 2012, 15:46
Massa & Senna

I think the criticism on Maldonado is a tad harsh. He was both Driver & Donkey of the Race. A solid points position, on Alonso's tail; any other driver would have come close to blowing their wad. For sure Williams will be ruing a points pay day especially Williams goes backwards as the season goes on.

truefan72
18th March 2012, 16:09
Maldonado, Massa. The first had a great race till crashing out, the second was just destroying his tyres and doing nothing. Very sad.

yup

Robinho
18th March 2012, 16:46
Can't give it to pastor, he drove an outstanding race and made one mistake. Massa was appalling, slow, burnt his tyres quicker than anyone and managed to be crashy as well. He had to come back hard this season amd Alonso showed him the way again

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

odykas
18th March 2012, 16:48
1) Massa
2) Schumi :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
18th March 2012, 16:49
1) Massa
2) Schumi :p :

Do we know if Schumachers retirement was a result of him going off track , or did he go off track because of a mechanical issue?

djparky
18th March 2012, 16:59
There's no need for such a rude language, so cool down and think before posting thank you :)

sorry- posted just after I'd seen the race so was a bit annoyed- will edit my post

Mia 01
18th March 2012, 18:26
Do we know if Schumachers retirement was a result of him going off track , or did he go off track because of a mechanical issue?

It was a gearboxfailure, third gear gone.

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 18:54

Are you a share holder at Williams? ;) :D

djparky
18th March 2012, 19:33
Are you a share holder at Williams? ;) :D

no- but a long time supporter who went through alot of pain last year as they ended up at the back of the grid- I was very very frustrated that 8 points ended up in the wall halfway round the last lap- there was no need to push he could have backed right off and come comfortably ahead of Perez

apologies if I offended anyone- wasn't the intent- I did try to edit post but it wouldn't let me do it

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 19:58
no- but a long time supporter who went through alot of pain last year as they ended up at the back of the grid- I was very very frustrated that 8 points ended up in the wall halfway round the last lap- there was no need to push he could have backed right off and come comfortably ahead of Perez

apologies if I offended anyone- wasn't the intent- I did try to edit post but it wouldn't let me do it

No I agree, it was such a shame Williams lost those points, but it looks as if they may have more chances to score this year. I just worry about the two drivers as they may not make the most of the improved car.

Tazio
18th March 2012, 21:23
Maldonado!! :mad:

I was so happy for a solid points finish for Williams. :rolleyes:
My first choice! The guy is a menace out there, although he is fast sometimes.

MAX_THRUST
18th March 2012, 21:54
Maldonado Flipping unlucky, I think he got on the lod pedal a touch too soon as he was gunning for Alonso at the next corner defo. As for the Donkey it can only be one person for me and seems everyone else on here.

MASSA.

MAX_THRUST
18th March 2012, 21:55
Sorry Lous pedal. Cut my finger bad today typing is hard with a huge padding on it. Doesn't excuse my bad spelling.

Somebody
18th March 2012, 23:44
Well, it depends. But on the basis a donkey isn't someone who's just had a poor weekend, but someone who had a chance and royally blew it... has to be Maldonado.

rjbetty
18th March 2012, 23:52
1.MASSA - enough has already been said. Wonder if Fisichella or Trulli would do a better job *but then remembers Fisi '09...*
2.Senna - Owned by Maldonado. I expect Maldonado to prove faster over the season too, and did before the season - though I wanted to believe Senna wouldn't be beaten...

airshifter
19th March 2012, 03:00
I'd have to say Massa. He did nothing impressive all weekend, and had a dismal race.

Pastor on the other hand, did 57 great laps and was putting pressure on a 2 time world champion in a car that should be equal or better the Williams. I can't give anyone a donkey vote for pushing for position.

Shifter
19th March 2012, 03:03
I can't call Maldonado a donkey, but I'd bet he was frantically searching for a 'reset' button like a simulator has to start the race over.

schmenke
19th March 2012, 15:35
Apparently it is a practiced move - according to Martin Whitmarsh they were thinking about doing it for the first round of stops when they were only 6 seconds apart!

Yep, obviously a practiced move, executed quite impressively :up:

schmenke
19th March 2012, 15:36
...I think the criticism on Maldonado is a tad harsh. ...

Agreed. I think he drove a great race with an unfortunate incident in the end pushing hard on worn tires.

My donkey goes vote goes to Massa. Clearly out classed by his team mate :dozey:

EuroTroll
19th March 2012, 17:01
Agreed. I think he drove a great race with an unfortunate incident in the end pushing hard on worn tires.

The thing is, though, that Williams scored 5 points in the whole of last season. If Maldonado had just cruised to the finish, he would have taken 8... I know they're all racers and are supposed to fight when there is something to fight for, but IMO he should have just taken the 8 points, considering Williams's recent fortunes.

Those 8 points might be -- are likely to be! -- sorely missed come the end of the season.

airshifter
19th March 2012, 21:57
The thing is, though, that Williams scored 5 points in the whole of last season. If Maldonado had just cruised to the finish, he would have taken 8... I know they're all racers and are supposed to fight when there is something to fight for, but IMO he should have just taken the 8 points, considering Williams's recent fortunes.

Those 8 points might be -- are likely to be! -- sorely missed come the end of the season.

I would usually agree with a statement such as this, but look at the difference to the sponsors. Would you rather attend a meeting saying you scored 8 points in a season, or would you rather show a photo of your car finishing ahead of a Ferrari driven by a two time WDC?

EuroTroll
19th March 2012, 22:47
I would usually agree with a statement such as this, but look at the difference to the sponsors. Would you rather attend a meeting saying you scored 8 points in a season, or would you rather show a photo of your car finishing ahead of a Ferrari driven by a two time WDC?

I can't answer that because I'm still too mad at Maldonado to think clearly about this. Mad! Mad, I tells ya! :mad:

But you may well have a good point there. ;)

Anubis
19th March 2012, 23:17
No real donkeys for me. Maybe Maldonado but he was racing for position to the end. The only thing against him was (amazingly) his Williams was competing with a Ferrari and perhaps he should have taken what he had rather than going for more. We know Massa isn't on Alonso's pace so his performance was no big surprise.

If anything, you could argue Williams are the donkeys for not talking Maldonado home for the best bunch of points they've seen in a good while. Easy after the event I suppose. Given how much of a squabble the midfield battle looks like being this year, that could've been a really nice start for them.

jens
21st March 2012, 15:40

A team like Williams needs most of all money. And they can get additional money by finishing higher in WCC. And considering, how tight the midfield is, 8 points is a big loss. 6th place is a big result for Williams, he should have brought the car home. If Maldonado had been fighting for 9th-10th, then I can see the arguments for fighting fiercly till the end.

Let's put it this way. Comparing last lap crashes, losing P6 was a bigger loss for Williams than losing P3 for McLaren (Hamilton at Monza in 2009).

I doubt sponsors would be particularly interested in one random photo. I think they are happier about the fact that Williams had already got a lot of airtime during the race due to Maldonado's good drive. Last year Williams barely got any TV-footage.

Knock-on
21st March 2012, 16:09
You talk a lot of sense Jens if F1 is a balance sheet but when a driver stops racing, it's pretty sad. It's OK if he has no chance of taking a position but if he does, he should go for it and I can't condemn him for trying.

It may be that those points make a difference at the end of a season but getting exposure for Williams and the excitement this caused are just as valuable.

jens
21st March 2012, 16:43
I'm not sure Maldonado had that good of a chance of overtaking Alonso. He had been trailing the Spaniard for the last 15 (?) laps without a good shot at overtaking him. And he did give a lot of exposure to Williams already by running close to Alonso for so many laps. He didn't need a do-or-die pass for that.

In any case, based on what I saw in the Alonso-Maldonado battle, it looked like a position change there was a clear long shot and didn't warrant an attempt on a 'banzai' move.

DamonHillFan
21st March 2012, 19:16
gotta be Maldonado.

steveaki13
21st March 2012, 21:06
A team like Williams needs most of all money. And they can get additional money by finishing higher in WCC. And considering, how tight the midfield is, 8 points is a big loss. 6th place is a big result for Williams, he should have brought the car home. If Maldonado had been fighting for 9th-10th, then I can see the arguments for fighting fiercly till the end.

Let's put it this way. Comparing last lap crashes, losing P6 was a bigger loss for Williams than losing P3 for McLaren (Hamilton at Monza in 2009).

I doubt sponsors would be particularly interested in one random photo. I think they are happier about the fact that Williams had already got a lot of airtime during the race due to Maldonado's good drive. Last year Williams barely got any TV-footage.

Its clear this was a big loss. Williams as of this time are a lower midfield team and so any 6th placed finish means so much.

Williams should have told Maldonado not to take un nessasary risk and above all score the 8 points, but having said that Maldonado should learn from that and Williams must keep the faith and realise that the car looks better this year and with hard work there should be more points on offer this season.

More positives for the season hopefully than negatives