PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher to run a Lap of Honour at Nurburgring 07...

akv89
25th March 2007, 19:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6493431.stm

Nurburgring to honour Schumacher

Michael Schumacher is to have a corner named in his honour at the Nurburgring, which hosts the 2007 German Grand Prix.
The seven-time world champion triumphed at the Nurburgring five times and will return for this July's race when the corner is renamed "Schumacher S".

"I am very proud of this honour which they have given me," said Schumacher, who retired after the 2006 season.

"It was imperative we did something prestigious to honour him," said Walter Kaffitz, director of the race track.

"Schumacher is the greatest driver in the history of German motorsport."

As well as having a corner named after him, Schumacher will be the first driver to round the Schumacher S as he will do a lap of honour before the 2007 German Grand Prix on 22 July.

D-Type
25th March 2007, 23:21
The things they say ...

Have they forgotten all the prewar Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union drivers - Rudi Caracciola and Berndt Rosemeyer in particular? And Christian Lautenschlager pre- WW1?

"~ Schumacher will be the first driver to round the Schumacher S as he will do a lap of honour before the 2007 German Grand Prix on 22 July."
Don't they have club races at the Nurburgring? Or are they going to delay the renaming until the GP?

having said that, he deserves the honour.

ottostreet
26th March 2007, 18:19
The things they say ...

Have they forgotten all the prewar Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union drivers - Rudi Caracciola and Berndt Rosemeyer in particular? And Christian Lautenschlager pre- WW1?

"~ Schumacher will be the first driver to round the Schumacher S as he will do a lap of honour before the 2007 German Grand Prix on 22 July."
Don't they have club races at the Nurburgring? Or are they going to delay the renaming until the GP?

having said that, he deserves the honour.

as good as caracciola and rosemeyer were, i do think that michael probably deserves the honour more so, and i am very much a non-schumacher fan. he was a sublime driver, brought ferrari up from the doldrums, and had a way of asserting himself over races which very few could manage. why ostricize him based on the other two not getting a mention? after all, michael is the most successful driver in f1, since rosemeyer and caracciola didnt technically race in f1

Giuseppe F1
26th March 2007, 19:33
...in reference to the newly named 'Schumacher S' turn at the track.

Yet will the lap be in an F1 car I wonder?????!

If not, expect it to be in either a Ferrari, Alfa, Maserati, Lancia or dare I say, a FIAT! :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/57622

GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX GO TO NEXT STORY

Schumacher gets Nurburgring corner

Monday, March 26th 2007, 09:22 GMT

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher will have a corner named after him at the Nurburgring circuit.

The former Ferrari driver, who retired from Formula One at the end of last season, will get his name in the corner in time for this year's German Grand Prix in July.

The corner will be named "Schumacher S".

Schumacher, a five-time winner at the Nurburgring, will do a lap of honour around the circuit ahead of the German Grand Prix.

Ian McC
26th March 2007, 21:14
I can see this getting moved :D

Simmi
26th March 2007, 21:36
Maybe he'll be in that big dirty FIAT bus he's advertising!

Easy Drifter
26th March 2007, 21:55
Do a Tags and run (literally) naked with a torch! :devil:

Scuderia ferrari
26th March 2007, 22:16
Intresting, "Schumacher S" ay? Well that won't be good for the Schumacher haters around.

futuretiger9
26th March 2007, 22:49
It would be great to see him do the lap of honour in a classic historic Grand Prix car, such as a Maserati 250F or a Mercedes-Benz.

futuretiger9
26th March 2007, 22:51
It's impossible to accurately compare drivers from two such diverse eras, but we can't decry the achievements of either Michael or the heroes of the pre-war GPs.

harsha
27th March 2007, 06:22
what an honour

ArrowsFA1
27th March 2007, 09:08
Do we know which corner? IIRC he designed the final chicane so it would make sense if it were that one.

ioan
27th March 2007, 10:18
Do we know which corner? IIRC he designed the final chicane so it would make sense if it were that one.

The "Audi S" that will be renamed.

courageous
29th March 2007, 22:00
Wonder how Audi feels about this?

Would love to see the lap of honour with him in a classic F1 followed by ex teammates with examples of all his F1 cars + the Sauber-Mercedes (could be done - even the Benettons are in private hands).

DimitraF1
6th April 2007, 10:15
schumacher ssssssssssssssssssssssss :P

PSfan
8th April 2007, 05:33
THIS IS F***ING STUPID!!!

If Tony George decided to rename a corner at the US GP George Bush Bend and have him do a lap where would that thread go!?!?!

Its current events, it F1 news and this doesn't belong in The H&N forum!!!

there I can rant too :p :

ioan
13th April 2007, 08:26
THIS IS F***ING STUPID!!!

If Tony George decided to rename a corner at the US GP George Bush Bend and have him do a lap where would that thread go!?!?!

Its current events, it F1 news and this doesn't belong in The H&N forum!!!

there I can rant too :p :

Well, mods would argue that Bush is still US president, plus they might dislike him less than they dislike MS. :D