PDA

View Full Version : Night Races- No Thanks !

Dazz9908
25th March 2007, 13:29
Bernie hates getting up and watching F1 in the early hours of the morning,
Oh God, Hear in OZ were been doing it for Decades,
Good to see you Europeans +Britts getting it back every now and then.

http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5422/2/

I'll hate the idea to see F1 at night, It's not NASCAR and Not Speed way It's bloody fast and dangerous, If the light not right then it's anther hazard to contend with.

Plus F1 is suppose to be getting greener, How much Green house gases will be created for Bernie to make another couple of billion. :rolleyes:

BeansBeansBeans
25th March 2007, 14:00
I'll hate the idea to see F1 at night, It's not NASCAR and Not Speed way It's bloody fast and dangerous, If the light not right then it's anther hazard to contend with.

The IRL is even more 'bloody fast and dangerous' than F1 but they held a night race at Homestead yesterday.

I see no reason why F1 could not hold a successful night race.

zoostation
25th March 2007, 14:15
The IRL is even more 'bloody fast and dangerous' than F1 but they held a night race at Homestead yesterday.

agreed.

Sleeper
25th March 2007, 14:24
I'm in favour of night races, if done porperly it will make for one hell of a spectical.

inimitablestoo
25th March 2007, 14:30
As long as they don't go overboard I'd quite like to see a night race or two. I just don't want every non-European/American race to go that way; it may make for better European viewing times, but as we've already seen in this thread, not every F1 fan is based in Europe!

Erki
25th March 2007, 14:33
Night races are cool. :up:

tinchote
25th March 2007, 14:47
I've grown up used to the fact that F1 is an "early Sunday morning" business for me. I probably wouldn't watch all the races if they fell in the middle of the day.

BeansBeansBeans
25th March 2007, 14:54
As long as they don't go overboard I'd quite like to see a night race or two. I just don't want every non-European/American race to go that way; it may make for better European viewing times, but as we've already seen in this thread, not every F1 fan is based in Europe!

I would agree with that. I wouldn't like to see more than two night races a season, at the most. And not necessarily outside of Europe either.

Firstgear
25th March 2007, 15:29
I've grown up used to the fact that F1 is an "early Sunday morning" business for me. I probably wouldn't watch all the races if they fell in the middle of the day.

I agree.

Easy Drifter
25th March 2007, 18:25
Lighting an oval is one heck of a lot easier than lighting a road course. Length of track plus runoff areas would all have to be lit. Spectators areas would need lighting whereas at an oval the lights cover both. Not saying it isn't possible, just more difficult and expensive.
Then look at all the power required. Here come the "greens".

Erki
25th March 2007, 18:29
Last year's Champ Car race at Houston was a night race and the track was a street course. Maybe they used the regular street lamps...?

L5->R5/CR
25th March 2007, 19:59

I'd actually watch a F1 race live if it was a night race...

Dazz9908
26th March 2007, 01:47
Hey, Have thought about this,
Rain, If rains it will make harder to see! For both the drivers and the TV audience,
The Mist reflects the artificial light to make an white blanket, for TV viewing would be confusing and the drivers would absolute hell!

call_me_andrew
26th March 2007, 04:05
Last year's Champ Car race at Houston was a night race and the track was a street course. Maybe they used the regular street lamps...?

I think they brought in a temporary lighting system. I believe Champ Car also held a night race at Cleveland's airport course.

If Daytona can run a 24 hour race with artificial lights (at limited levels), then I think a lot of road courses could handle it as well.

I'd rather they ran a night race in Europe, however. I think Hockenheim would be the best track to support a lighting system. The race would be in the afternoon for me, and it's only the late evening in Europe. If you want to please European television viewers, you'll want the race on while they're watching television.

I never get up to watch the European races live. You can't make me get out of bed that early. I wait until the afternoon rebroadcast to watch.

call_me_andrew
26th March 2007, 04:25
I just remembered that a few weeks ago I managed to come across a kart race on television.

The race took place in a parking lot, at night, and in pouring rain.

It looked fine on television and aside from the drivers struggling with the wet/oily track the race was pretty good.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 08:36
Can anyone explain what's so great about a night race :confused: To me it's nothing more than a(nother) gimmick.

I am evil Homer
26th March 2007, 09:27
Track lighting isn't a problem...seeing the flags is. This week's autosport has some interesting opinions, esp the points made my Brundle.

ShiftingGears
26th March 2007, 09:42
Hey, Have thought about this,
Rain, If rains it will make harder to see! For both the drivers and the TV audience,
The Mist reflects the artificial light to make an white blanket, for TV viewing would be confusing and the drivers would absolute hell!

All the more challenging aye? :p : But I take your point. HOWEVER, it could rain so much in a daytime race that visibility is extremely poor for spectators and drivers anyway, so visibility isn't really a problem for night races. Unless someone turns the lights off. I don't think it will be much different from the daytime races at all, bar air and track temperature.

One thing i do wonder is how much extra it will cost to light the whole track at night. If anyone has any estimations do tell.

I am evil Homer
26th March 2007, 10:31
Autosport quotes a guy who says at least 300,000 Euro. That's purely light hire and power, not the set-up costs which would take days.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 10:39
I wonder what Honda's earth car would look like under the lights?

Donney
26th March 2007, 10:45
To me it is a stupid idea.

BeansBeansBeans
26th March 2007, 11:01
Can anyone explain what's so great about a night race :confused: To me it's nothing more than a(nother) gimmick.

It's just something a little bit different. I for one would love to see it happen once, just for the experience. It's like Le Mans at night, a football game at night or a night race in the IRL or Nascar. There's just something special about being under floodlights.

BDunnell
26th March 2007, 11:47
It's just something a little bit different. I for one would love to see it happen once, just for the experience. It's like Le Mans at night, a football game at night or a night race in the IRL or Nascar. There's just something special about being under floodlights.

I agree.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 12:00
But with Le Mans it's part and parcel of the whole event, and always has been. As for the IRL or NASCAR it's a purely spectator entertainment thing - US razzmatazz - and that's fine, but F1 has tended to stick its nose up at those kind of things.

I don't disagree that there's "just something special about being under floodlights" but it's not for F1 IMHO.

Simmi
26th March 2007, 12:55
Bernie wants it. It's gonna happen. I also think that estimate in Autosport was well off in terms of how much it would cost. 1 night race a year would be fine as something a bit different and special. It would be to me like having another Monaco in the calendar.

pino
26th March 2007, 13:10
F1 night races - Good idea or bad idea.

1) Good idea
2) Bad idea
3) Don't know/care

L5->R5/CR
26th March 2007, 13:26

Fire shooting cars, glowing exhaust, and glowing rotors!

Ever watched two cars going head to head at night from the side? I mean really battling, and wondering just how hard they are on it? Nothing beats being able to see from the sidelines just how hard the drivers are working the brakes as they start to glow under braking. It can be incredibly spectacular!

slinkster
26th March 2007, 13:49
At the risk of sounding stupid here... would the cars have to have lights on them too?

Erki
26th March 2007, 14:18
At the risk of sounding stupid here... would the cars have to have lights on them too?

Probably not as IRL and Champ Car don't.

wedge
26th March 2007, 14:27
Wouldn't mind having a night race. It's a good gimmick, seeing the Macs under floodlights would be a great spectacle, though IHMO, a saloon car/sportscar works better than singleseaters in night races.

It would be great if they partially lit the circuit. That would really sort the men out from the boys at a place like Turkey. But I can't see my idea ever happening!

Personally I would rather bring back titanium skid blocks and then bring on the night races!

millencolin
26th March 2007, 14:41
Bernie hates getting up and watching F1 in the early hours of the morning,
Oh God, Hear in OZ were been doing it for Decades,
Good to see you Europeans +Britts getting it back every now and then.

DAMN RIGHT!!!! We have to get up early, or stay up late every fortnight... The Europeans complain abouit the timeslot of what, a handful of races? jeez!!!! how about you come over here and try to be an F1 fan, or any form of motorsport that ISNT v8supercars... you become an insomniac!!

NO NIGHT RACES!!!

Crank
26th March 2007, 15:22
I've watched night races such as the Daytona 24h, some night NASCAR and IRL events, and they do not give any particular advantage (viewing-wise) other than instead of drinking beer you can drink a good glass of scotch.

However there are some technical issues such as the temperatures, that usually make more difficult to get heat into the tyres, and everyone knows that with harder compounds such as this year's, it will be even more so.

This issue has proven to change the conditions of the race, when the races goes from day to night or when the qualy takes place during the day, where there are significant changes in the grip levels.

Although I think F1 engineer would figure it out, the phantom of Ayrton going off by not getting enough heat into the tyres is still on the paddock, and a few people would think twice before jumping into that ship.

As for the times....I don't know I guess if you are a real fan you would get up at any time to watch the race, but if Bernie wants to attract more money..I would guess that it's that much money which has brought so much headaches to the sport anyway.

So, I guess instead of having Orange Juice, Beer or Scotch I think I would prefer the latter one ;)

Erki
26th March 2007, 15:40
how about you come over here and try to be an F1 fan, or any form of motorsport that ISNT v8supercars... you become an insomniac!!

Been there, done that ...

:s mokin:

schmenke
26th March 2007, 18:22
Probably not as IRL and Champ Car don't.

NASCARs do ;) :p :

SteveA
26th March 2007, 19:42
Track lighting isn't a problem...seeing the flags is.

Apparently this year they have colored "flag lights" in the cockpit, so that problem has been addressed.

CarlMetro
26th March 2007, 22:51
I don't see the point in it, apart from tv viewing times being more favourable for the European fanbase. Until someone comes up with a better reason than that then I'll say no thanks!

wedge
26th March 2007, 23:23
I've watched night races such as the Daytona 24h, some night NASCAR and IRL events, and they do not give any particular advantage (viewing-wise) other than instead of drinking beer you can drink a good glass of scotch.

However there are some technical issues such as the temperatures, that usually make more difficult to get heat into the tyres, and everyone knows that with harder compounds such as this year's, it will be even more so.

This issue has proven to change the conditions of the race, when the races goes from day to night or when the qualy takes place during the day, where there are significant changes in the grip levels.

Although I think F1 engineer would figure it out, the phantom of Ayrton going off by not getting enough heat into the tyres is still on the paddock, and a few people would think twice before jumping into that ship.

As for the times....I don't know I guess if you are a real fan you would get up at any time to watch the race, but if Bernie wants to attract more money..I would guess that it's that much money which has brought so much headaches to the sport anyway.

So, I guess instead of having Orange Juice, Beer or Scotch I think I would prefer the latter one ;)

Changing track condtions - good point. Forgot about that one. That's one of the appeals of night races. The racing starts at dusk and then its the teams/drivers chasing the setup for the rest of the night.

With the amount of onboard controls it'll test the drivers' racecraft for sure.

L5->R5/CR
26th March 2007, 23:33
I don't see the point in it, apart from tv viewing times being more favourable for the European fanbase. Until someone comes up with a better reason than that then I'll say no thanks!

It being technically challenging, difficult for drivers (have to really pust their skills to the limit), and visually spectacular aren't good reasons?

CarlMetro
27th March 2007, 00:36
F1 is al;ready enough of a technical challenge with the added complications of a night race. The drivers already push their skills to the limit and in some cases beyond it. F1 is already a visual spectacle, racing at night will not change many people's perspective of that.

For me a night race is just a gimmick, and something I rather see left to the likes of Indy and Nascar, who seem to need gimmicks to keep people interested becuase the racing is so boring.

Now, if someone was going to tell me that we would see more on-track overtaking during a night race or that none of the cars would be allowed to have traction control or add-on aero pieces then it would get my vote. Those are the things, in my honest opinion, that need to be changed to make F1 better than it already is. I don't see how a night race will.

L5->R5/CR
27th March 2007, 00:43
F1 is al;ready enough of a technical challenge with the added complications of a night race. The drivers already push their skills to the limit and in some cases beyond it. F1 is already a visual spectacle, racing at night will not change many people's perspective of that.

That is a matter of opinion. F1 has become very bland to a lot of people, especially with the lack of meaningful overtaking.

As for drivers puching their skills, modern F1 is more like drivers pushing 50% of their skills 99% of the time, rarely do we see drivers have to use every single ounce of their entire skill set (includes reading the road surface, under braking, and other overtaking techniques).

Addicted
27th March 2007, 00:45
Hell yeah! More excitement to often so boring races.

CarlMetro
27th March 2007, 00:52
F1 has become very bland to a lot of people

That is a matter of opinion and, like me, you are entitled to yours.

I believe I have already justified my opinion, I have nothing further to add.

Ranger
27th March 2007, 08:56
Hell yeah! More excitement to often so boring races.

It's not going to solve the problem of the boring races, but it's one of the reason's I would want to see a night race. Just the odd one or two though, nothing silly.

call_me_andrew
27th March 2007, 08:59
One thing i do wonder is how much extra it will cost to light the whole track at night. If anyone has any estimations do tell.

According to this link, power for lighting a race track costs about $240 per hour.

http://www.musco.com/projshow/project.php?id=138+motorsports

With the lights off: better!

Ranger
27th March 2007, 09:18
According to this link, power for lighting a race track costs about $240 per hour.

Running costs are fine, but how many spotlights did you see on the TV broadcast of the F1 race last week?

You may have seen them on the MCG, but I was there at the race last week, and there sure aren't many near the tarmac. You'd probably have to invest about a million bucks at least to put up all the candles to make the race even safe.

And I'm not so sure how generous the Victorian government will be with that.

CharlieJ
27th March 2007, 10:54
bad idea....... but I'd love to see what sticking a pair of headlamps on an F1 car would do to the aerodynamics :eek: !!!!!

Erki
27th March 2007, 13:19
bad idea....... but I'd love to see what sticking a pair of headlamps on an F1 car would do to the aerodynamics :eek: !!!!!

If they have no other way, they'll just put some stickers on the cars like they do in NASCAR. :)

wedge
27th March 2007, 14:35
For me a night race is just a gimmick, and something I rather see left to the likes of Indy and Nascar, who seem to need gimmicks to keep people interested becuase the racing is so boring.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a gimmick in America. They have a tradition of 'Saturday Night racing' in the Deep South with their assorted sprints/midgets and their numerous championships. The vast majority of oval racers come from that background. It's quite logical that they should have night races in America.

Though I do agree that the FIA should have the balls to severely reduce aero instead of revising the rulebook by stealing American concepts.

Easy Drifter
27th March 2007, 18:14
Sat. night racing (and Fri.) is common in all of NA. However the tracks are normally 1/4 to 1/2 miles and being ovals are fairly easy to light. Even a 2 1/2 mile oval requires far less lights than a comparable road course wandering the countryside. A street race would be easier to light but any city I have been in (many) does not have strong enough lights for safe racing let alone for TV.
Some of the bullrings I have been to have had pretty poor lighting with only the corners sort of lit. So poor that with sprint cars you could not make out who was who on the far side of the track, maybe 100 yds. away.
Parking lots totally unlit. Not many that bad and getting less.
Also we are supposed to be conserving energy.

ArrowsFA1
27th March 2007, 18:49
Also we are supposed to be conserving energy.
Exactly my point about Honda's earth car :up: ;)

inimitablestoo
27th March 2007, 20:18
bad idea....... but I'd love to see what sticking a pair of headlamps on an F1 car would do to the aerodynamics :eek: !!!!!There's a photo in the 1995/6 Autocourse of Panis' Ligier with headlights on it at the Nurburgring! In the pits admittedly, and they were there for warmth rather than visibility...

DimitraF1
27th March 2007, 20:55
the equipment will make the night--->day!!
FORZA NIGHT!!! :)

PSfan
27th March 2007, 21:34
Gotta through my 2 cents in...

I must say, I get a little bit more excited about the Aussie race, and the Japan race because of the saturday night time slot. (Race's start here @11pm so perfect time to get a little rowdy and drink stuff I shouldn't be drinking) And I imagine it would be better if the race started at 8pm!!!

As for lights and energy consumption... I read that the idea being floated regarding the Austrlian GP becoming a night race would be if they could expand the race season and have it starting alot sooner, having the race early February when the days are longer and it would still be light out until 10pm. Now I imagine this would mean that the drivers would have the sun in their eyes alot during the race, but when looking for more information regarding the life span of drivers helmets, I also read that to suit Monaco's tunnel the visors darken coming out of the tunnel so the drivers aren't blinded, so that should be able to be adjusted for these situations...

luvracin
27th March 2007, 22:05
From what I am reading the F1 race in Melbourne is becoming quite the political punching bag. Forcing it to be run at night may be the straw that breaks the horse's back.

And don't for a second think it will move somewhere else in Aus. If Melbourne loses it, it'll end up in yet another "new market", a new market that will be more than willing to pay for an F1 race.

So I say NO to a night race.

Anyway, to kill the idea in Bernie's mind all you need to do is tell him Champcar does night races and it'll be dead before you've finished the sentence.

SteveA
28th March 2007, 00:14
Champcar do day races too!

How about a Space Race? The 2008 Moon Grand Prix. You heard it here first ;)

jarrambide
28th March 2007, 09:09
If you live in Houston and your record high in summer is 106F 41C, and your average in the summer is 96F 35.5C, and the average temperature in the summer at 3:00 PM is 100F 38C with a humidity always over 80% a night race is great. Heck the race this year is going to be in late April and the avarage temperature 94F 34.44C, the average temperature at 3:00 PM is 96F 35.5C with the humidity over 80%. (No wonder the baseball stadium and the football stadium have retractable roofs and have air conditioners).

What is the average temperature in the afternoon in the Middle east races?

ShiftingGears
28th March 2007, 10:03
Melbourne can get pretty cold at nighttime, I should mention. Thankyou to those who have estimations for lighting costs!

schmenke
28th March 2007, 16:41
If you live in Houston and your record high in summer is 106F 41C, and your average in the summer is 96F 35.5C, and the average temperature in the summer at 3:00 PM is 100F 38C with a humidity always over 80% a night race is great. Heck the race this year is going to be in late April and the avarage temperature 94F 34.44C, the average temperature at 3:00 PM is 96F 35.5C with the humidity over 80%. ...

Sounds like similar conditions to the Malaysian GP ;)

waitey
29th March 2007, 03:17
im not sure on this topic for a number of reasons.
- Firstly, if you are going to have a race at night time, some practise sessions or qualifying if not all of them will have to be around the same time due to different temperatures and driving characteristics. We all know what it's like driving at night time, everything happens faster than during daytime so the drivers would need to have practise sessions at night etc.

- I know half of the reason for a night race is to get more viewers in Europe to tune in at a suitable time for the opening race, but another reason is for it to actually be NIGHT TIME. The melbourne grand prix is in our summer/daylight saving which means it doesnt really get dark until after 9 oclock usually, sometimes even later. That means how many people are going to be turning up for practise sessions, qualifying and a race that starts on a sunday nite in melbourne probably around 9 oclock. If it starts earlier fair enough, but if they want a real night race, they would have to start late and people have work and school the next day etc and you will lose a lot of people. It would just be weird, like having the f1 that late at night on fridays and saturdays and sundays. If they did go ahead with it, they would have to put it on the long weekend here, or labour day weekend, which falls in march and make sure its in that weekend every year so people dont have to worry about work and school the next day.

If they were going to go ahead with it, i think this is what needs to be done. The thursday at the Australian Grand prix is a waste of a day, less and less people turn up every year and there is no formula 1 on. The lighting of the track will cost so much, why not get rid of thursday at the grand prix, and use that money for the lighting etc. They would need to do that, or costs will sky rocket to much, this way they can at least use the money they are already spending and have it contribute to the lights instead.

Now i think friday's program would start with the support categories like formula 3 etc in the afternoon. Then the first formula 1 practise session very late in the afternoon/early evening. Then the next friday practise session somewhere around when it begins to get darker. Same applies for Saturday and Sunday. I think they would just have to start the race here say at 8:00pm, and the end of the race would be getting darker and night time.

In conclusion, I think this is Bernie basically saying to Melbourne, if you want to keep your spot as the opening race of the season, it is going to be at night time. Otherwise you can be the 2nd or 3rd race or middle of the season or whatever. I don't think it would work for Melbourne, somewhere like Singapore as a new grand prix yes, but i just don't think it will work for Melbourne properly. Still not a bad idea for one race a year like that, but probably not melbourne.

jso1985
29th March 2007, 04:12
Sounds like similar conditions to the Malaysian GP ;)

wich proves that Champ Car drivers are crying babies ;)

about the topic, I actually don't care, I don't think it would add anything special, I don't watch NASCAR but night IRL races don't look more special to me(ok the cars look better but that's all), yet the FIA and Bernie have had more stupid ideas so if it happens that's ok for me

jarrambide
29th March 2007, 08:26
wich proves that Champ Car drivers are crying babies ;)

about the topic, I actually don't care, I don't think it would add anything special, I don't watch NASCAR but night IRL races don't look more special to me(ok the cars look better but that's all), yet the FIA and Bernie have had more stupid ideas so if it happens that's ok for me
Itīs not for the drivers itīs for the fans, Monterrey, Mexico has similar conditions, a little bit hotter, but no humidity, they had CC races for 7 years, every year they had fans with 2nd and 3rd degree burnings because of the sun (yes, you are stupid for not using SPF 70, a cap and long sleeve shirts, and the fact most of the victims were women who attended the races with straples blouses was even more stupid, but people tend to do things like this).

ioan
2nd April 2007, 13:27
Drivers security is the biggest problem, if they accept it we will have night races. Honestly I believe it is very dangerous and I believe it shouldn't be done.

Heidfeld's questions it too:

<<"It is not like a football game where you need a few lights. Just imagine if there is a power cut," ...
"In football you can stop the game but in Formula One, when we're driving at 300kph and it is dark ... I don't want to be in the situation.">>

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070402120928.shtml

harsha
2nd April 2007, 15:04
if anything,the honda's car will look better under lights,it can't be any worse than how the car looks now

SuperAguri
3rd April 2007, 10:18
It's going to be a street circuit that probably won't be very wide.

It's a danger when cars block the road but on the other hand, speeds may be fairly low to equal out the risk of injury.

ArrowsFA1
4th April 2007, 11:41
The Australian state of Queensland is planning to build a new circuit capable of hosting a Formula One Grand Prix at night.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57783

murrayfan
4th April 2007, 11:50
IT WOULD LOOK GREAT IF THEY COULD USE NEON PAINT FOR THE PARTS OF THE CAR THAT HAVE EARTH ON IT

Ranger
4th April 2007, 12:00

I am genuinely surprised that the Qld government is actually willing to throw that amount of money at the track.

But as long as it's a good track that isn't 50km from the Gold Coast, you won't hear any complaints from me.

ShiftingGears
4th April 2007, 12:03

Ahah, an F1 night race at the Gold Coast. Can someone say...heavy partying? :p :
Sounds like they're trying to appeal to the Indy 300 crowd! But that doesn't bother me. This story will be one to watch!

AndyRAC
4th April 2007, 12:48
Instead of holding night races in Asia so Europe can watch, here's a novel idea. Hold more races in Europe........

.....silly idea I know!!!

MAX_THRUST
4th April 2007, 13:02
Night race would be great, Mexico would be great......

As for F1 being boring, its looking good so far this year, and has got my attention after just one race. The way things are going in the US these days with the IRL, CCWS problems, I think the Mad Mexicans would love an F1 race, If NASCAR can do it, F1 certainly can.....

As for getting up early, I actually enjoy it, Every year I'm up for Surfers Paradise CCWS and and F1 Japan and Melbourne. The missus likes it cause she don't have to watch it.

As for strappy tops, as long as Bernie is not wearing one I'm ok with it.For once I don't think Bernie is being stupid, he just hasn't come up with any new ideas that the IRL and CART/CCWS has been trying for years.

waitey
5th April 2007, 01:09
melbourne is a great race and it should stay in melbourne. I would hate the idea of it moving to the Gold Coast, just doesn't seem right and there is no need to have that much money thrown at an event, australia already has one, why waste 650 million dollars on something that could be used for a better cause considering a formula 1 race is already in the country.

Don't make australia a night race, but keep it in melbourne, and push melbourne further back into the calendar if bernie wants, but make a permanent circuit like malaysia a night race if he wishes, the layout there would be great because the lighting would reach many parts of the circuit.

PLEASE DON"T TAKE THE MELBOURNE GRAND PRIX AWAY! a grand prix that has won the best event of the year cannot be taken away by the gold coast, i'll cry myself to sleep for days no!

Ranger
5th April 2007, 07:59
PLEASE DON"T TAKE THE MELBOURNE GRAND PRIX AWAY! a grand prix that has won the best event of the year cannot be taken away by the gold coast, i'll cry myself to sleep for days no!

Well yet again, this is the same state that manages to pull record crowds year in year out for the Indy 300 (400,000 + ) despite ChampCar being in a nearly recessive state.

I'm inclined to think that, if the circuit is a good one, it could be the best event on the calendar. It is close to a major population centre, it will be a high-tech racetrack, and knowing the people who hang around the Gold Coast at night-time, I'm sure there will be atmosphere.

The only thing that sours me on the idea is the $650 million which could go to something like a drought-relief program, which would address a long-term problem.

There is nothing wrong with Melbourne, I agree. But if this is actually a serious $650 million they are promising, and the high-tech track is near a major population centre, then I can't see how it would fall flat on its face.

I have confidence in this idea.

leopard
5th April 2007, 08:52
Drivers security is the biggest problem, if they accept it we will have night races. Honestly I believe it is very dangerous and I believe it shouldn't be done.

<<"It is not like a football game where you need a few lights. Just imagine if there is a power cut," ...
"In football you can stop the game but in Formula One, when we're driving at 300kph and it is dark ... I don't want to be in the situation.">>

This is what i was about to talk, I didn't follow this thread from beginning so i don't know whether or not this idea came to the surface. Ioan has pointed this out right. Drivers’ safety is the most important thing before everything for you to consider.

What about the power cut, using hi-beam in front side of the car I doubt will sufficiently give a safe coverage in such high speed, it will be troubling more in the chicane.

Finally, the worst thing if there is an error on car electricity that can cause the hi-beam lamps have a short circuit and cut off, there is no way other than parking the car near by advertising board if it's equipped with light reflector.

I'd rather disagree to this idea

call_me_andrew
5th April 2007, 23:59
I hope you people realize that you're talking about a light bulb as though it's an unreliable technology. Here's a video from Champ Car's night race in Houston. (WARNING: Turn your speakers off, the video is set to a really crappy song.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcgseIiqopI

I think if there should be a night race anywhere, it's Europe. Unless everyone there has to be in bed by 9:30, I'm not sure what the problem is.

cos
6th April 2007, 02:44

I know next-to-nothing about how one would go about lighting an F1 track for a night race, but surely any lights erected for a night-race would be temporary and connected to individual generators? So if one generator packed in the light from the other lights would be enough to see safely enough? It's not like you'd plug those massive spot lights into the mains!