PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Tyre thread

Knock-on
14th March 2012, 14:54
Okey, dokey. Not a lot has been said about the boots this year.

As we know, Pirelli have brought the varieties closer together to allow different stratagies. They also have characteristics that change a lot more dependant on how they are utilised.

The strategy last year of "first jumper" getting a advantage from the first pit stop might be different this year. It looks like if you try and put a couple of quickies in to jump a car, your tyres could go off straight after leaving you vulnerable.

This is why I think Button will win the championship this year but Hamilton is going to make it bloody exciting.

wedge
14th March 2012, 15:39
The strategy last year of "first jumper" getting a advantage from the first pit stop might be different this year. It looks like if you try and put a couple of quickies in to jump a car, your tyres could go off straight after leaving you vulnerable.

The undercut will still be important but in testing the degradation of the tyres have been better and not so sudden in that you don't get the "falling off the cliff" effect as was often described last year.

donKey jote
15th March 2012, 00:07
I don't :p

Knock-on
16th March 2012, 09:31
Well, they do seem to be closer now. Times were being set on the harder ones on a green track.

odykas
16th March 2012, 15:39
I don't :p

Never tired of tires :p :

The Black Knight
16th March 2012, 15:42
I know its a massive element of how races are managed and won, but I find tyre talk the most boring aspect of all.

Not nearly as boring as I find it when I hear commentators go on about "great" DRS overtakes.

N4D13
17th March 2012, 08:05
Perhaps, but to be honest, I'll expect the strategy to be very similar to what it was last year. Perhaps they won't push as much as they could, but there's a great laptime difference between old and new tyres, so even without hurting the tyres, passing another car by pitting sooner would still be possible.

wedge
17th March 2012, 14:19
3 stopper is looking the optimum strategy

Get closer to the sport with our new Race Strategy CalculatorJames Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/get-closer-to-the-sport-with-our-new-race-strategy-calculator/)

ioan
17th March 2012, 20:36
Gave it try with 2 stops:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6844654636_7e1e7c351b_b.jpg

Anyway JA's simulator/calculator is a bit strange as you have no clue if the first sting is on primes or options, I guess it's options. Nor can you chose which car you are working with. Or maybe I missed these information.

PS: And another one

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6844675946_55ded08b27_b.jpg

AndyL
17th March 2012, 21:20
Anyway JA's simulator/calculator is a bit strange as you have no clue if the first sting is on primes or options, I guess it's options. Nor can you chose which car you are working with. Or maybe I missed these information.

It assumes you qualified in the top 10 so you start on used options.

ioan
18th March 2012, 00:36
It assumes you qualified in the top 10 so you start on used options.

Qualifying in the top 10 doesn't mean you start on used options, it is just a possibility, it's 50/50.
Anyway looks like a 2 stop is quite a bit faster than James' 3 stopper.

call_me_andrew
21st March 2012, 01:04
I find it interesting that there's been more wear on the rear tires now that blow diffusers are gone.

wedge
21st March 2012, 01:10
I find it interesting that there's been more wear on the rear tires now that blow diffusers are gone.

Rears are softer to balance the fronts. Blame it on the fixed weight distribution.