PDA

View Full Version : Turbo. The Movie

Mad_Hatter
13th March 2012, 01:13
Indy 500 (http://www.racer.com/indycar-and-dreamworks-team-up-for-turbo/article/231589/) related movie in the works. It's hard to deny nascar gained from Talladega Nights, even if they were at the butt of the joke. I hope it's a good one, hopefully some additional eyeballs will reach the races because of it.

00steven
13th March 2012, 02:47
Great exposure!

Jag_Warrior
13th March 2012, 08:58
I probably won't get to any races this year. But if anyone sees Sylvester Stallone creeping around the paddock with a film crew, kick him in the knee and then pound (what's left of) his brain into mush.

"Driven" would have been great... had it not been so completely terrible. If this movie is more like "Grand Prix" or "Le Mans", then great. But if it's just going to be another live action video game, please let it die before they start shooting.

DBell
13th March 2012, 12:08
I couldn't agree more Jag. I think a law was passed after 1970 that outlawed realistic racing movies from being made.

This movie is going to be an animated movie, similar to Cars.

IndyCar announces movie deal with DreamWorks (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-03-12/indy-car-dream-works-movie/53502496/1)

chuck34
13th March 2012, 12:20
I probably won't get to any races this year. But if anyone sees Sylvester Stallone creeping around the paddock with a film crew, kick him in the knee and then pound (what's left of) his brain into mush.

"Driven" would have been great... had it not been so completely terrible. If this movie is more like "Grand Prix" or "Le Mans", then great. But if it's just going to be another live action video game, please let it die before they start shooting.

I love "Grand Prix". Don't get me wrong "Le Mans" was a great racing movie, and I love it. But "Grand Prix" was a great movie. With all the movie re-makes being done lately, I wonder if they could re-do that one? Anyone ever see "Winning"? I haven't, but I've heard it's good. I keep meaning to put that on my Netflix, but just haven't yet. I know, I know, it's a classic and I really should have seen it by now. I will go flog myself, no need for you guys to do it. :D

FIAT1
13th March 2012, 12:25
I don't know obout a movie, but imagine how many times Indy500 will be mentioned when promotion for the movie starts on tv, magazines,papers etc.. Onother huge plus is kids, and Indycar should take there cars and stars to promote big when movie comes out. Great news for the sport of Indycar.

garyshell
13th March 2012, 14:15
I am anxious to see results from the movie that Ron "Opie" Howard is doing about 1970's F1. (I think that's the right era.) Ron doesn't do crappy movies, so I have some very real hopes.

Gary

Anubis
13th March 2012, 14:21
Echo the sentiment regarding Drivel, um, Driven. Not just a bad racing film, just a bad film all round.

garyshell
13th March 2012, 20:54
It's an OK flick, not in the same league with 'Grand Prix' or 'Le Mans' though. Also check out 'Bobby Dearfield'. A chick flick mostly but with good racing scenes.

For good racing scenes, I like Viva Las Vegas! Watching those old sports cars in the desert is a blast. But nothing beats "Le Mans" or "Grand Prix".

Gary

P.S. Or was it "Spin out"???

call_me_andrew
14th March 2012, 01:52
I had an idea for an Indy 500 movie a year or two ago. The premise was about an aging owner/driver putting together an underfunded team but performing compeditively in the month of May before (spoler alert) losing in the end. Then I figured it was too much like Rocky, which is too connected to Driven.

Speaking of Driven, does anyone remember what Estella Warren's character was supposed to contribute to the plot? I seem to have forgotten. :p

garyshell
14th March 2012, 03:13
Speaking of Driven, does anyone remember what Estella Warren's character was supposed to contribute to the plot? I seem to have forgotten. :p

Plot? There was a plot?

Gary

nigelred5
14th March 2012, 15:03
I was more distracted by Gina Gershon myself. ;)

anthonyvop
15th March 2012, 04:55
Indy 500 (http://www.racer.com/indycar-and-dreamworks-team-up-for-turbo/article/231589/) related movie in the works. It's hard to deny nascar gained from Talladega Nights,

Well NASCAR ratings actually went down after it's release. And remember the movie "Cars" was also released the same year.

Frankly I have been kind of Leary of the whole Hollywood = Higher Ratings idea.

When Champ Car was featured on one of the most popular shows on TV there was no measurable increase in ratings or attendance.
I see Hollywood banking on the popularity of a sport or event rather than the Event benefiting from a Hollywood Production. The Indy 500 is a known and popular commodity. Done right it can make $$$ for the film studio.

garyshell
15th March 2012, 05:01
Frankly I have been kind of Leary of the whole Hollywood = Higher Ratings idea.

And we are not at all surprised.

Gary

Chris R
15th March 2012, 10:52
I think Hollywood exposure is probably over-rated, but that does not mean it isn't still a great thing..... I think the key is to get more people thinking "Indycar" when someone says racing rather than "Nascar" and this kind of exposure could help that way....

champcarray
15th March 2012, 17:25
It will be hard to top Grand Prix. The plot and story were good (maybe not great, but good) and the racing footage is astounding. I'm with the crowd on this one: a good movie will be great publicity for the series. We don't need another piece of sh** like Driven -- that would just drive another stake into the heart of Indycar (not that I'm equating Indycar to a vampire).

anthonyvop
16th March 2012, 01:43
And we are not at all surprised.

Gary

Nor is anyone surprised by your knee-jerk response.

Tell you what. Show me where Hollywood exposure has been markedly beneficial to a series since perhaps "Days of Thunder" A movie where i can't find if attendance of TV ratings improved for NASCAR after its release.

BTW been going over a list of Racing movies. There have been some real stinkers but mostly underwhelming. The majority have one thing in common. They performed poorly at the box-office.

Of the top 11 in box office receipts 5 were the Fast & Furious Franchise and 2 were Cars.

And Herbie: Fully Load was #10
http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=carracing.htm

FIAT1
16th March 2012, 13:04
How many times will young audiences wil hear phrases ,turbo or Indy500 in period of time when movie is promoted, in theaters, dvd,tv etc. Is it gona help? I guarantee you it won't hurt, therefore it's all good.

garyshell
16th March 2012, 13:56
How many times will young audiences wil hear phrases ,turbo or Indy500 in period of time when movie is promoted, in theaters, dvd,tv etc. Is it gona help? I guarantee you it won't hurt, therefore it's all good.

Seeds planted. But our resident journalist/media expert/pr expert has already made it clear it won't do any good, so I guess the sky is still falling.

Gary

FIAT1
16th March 2012, 23:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAXQIrUAXg&feature=youtube_gdata

anthonyvop
19th March 2012, 14:36

I agree. It can't hurt. I am just saying that it probably won't be the grand, marketing move to springboards the ICS past NASCAR in popularity.

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2012, 17:49

Dunno, but she is one hot looking Canadian girl...which doesn't excuse Stallone for wasting everyone's time. Most of my friends in the local marshalling community were gung ho to see the movie since a lot of the footage was shot in Toronto (Chicago in the movie was Toronto actually) and they were extra's. Heard TONS about the movie going in....and they saw it...and not one of them could believe you could make a movie THAT bad. The only racing movie I hold out hope for is Ron Howard's effort, which I think is going to be called "Rush" but I don't know if there is anything out yet about it.