PDA

View Full Version : Targa Tasmania 2012

Mitch555
5th March 2012, 08:25
You would be forgiven to think the rally world in Australia has gone mad of late.
- Targa High Country, Jason White wins by driving his Lambo up Mt Buller on fire to win the event.
- Targa Wrest Point, 2 cars plunge into the Huon river from a 10-15 metre drop.
- Rally Calder, Aston Martin Vantage heavily damaged when colliding with a concrete barrier.

Hopefully Targa Tasmania will restore some sanity and normality to the Aussie rally world!!!! So much of this event has changed in 2012.
- Day 0 has the practice stage then Prologue at George Town
- Day 1 has been reversed and lengthened.
- Day 2 has been reversed (breaking 20 year tradition)
- Day 3 now goes from Launceston to Strahan
- Day 4 is a North West loop, a huge day starting and finishing in Strahan and see's the return of Pieman Road.
- Day 5 sees the monster 58km Mt Arrowsmith retained, and a new stage in the Midlands.

8 tyres are also now allowed for all crews (except Rookie class) which can be interchanged at any time.

I am making my competition debut on the big stage in the nav seat in the Rookie Modern Class.

#144. Shane Russell / Mitchell Newton - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1 RS

Shall be an exciting 3 days for me (0, 1 & 2) running with Shane who is currently rebuilding the car. It is an ex. Group A Ralliart Australia built car which will have the turbo restrictor removed for this event. Hopefully will have it done up as a replica 1993 Monte Carlo car :) Hopefully we can come out on top in the Rookie!

http://youtu.be/xwDpjBfKZzo

Who else is going?

raybak
14th April 2012, 02:18
I'm heading down on Monday morning, early flight in. Looking forward to the event, the M3R has had a good freshen up for the event.

Cheers

Ray

Humber
17th April 2012, 22:36
Coverage on Targa Tasmania is www.targatasmania.com.au (http://www.targatasmania.com.au) Whites had to change the engine in the Lambo after the media day.

raybak
23rd April 2012, 05:09
Finished 12th in Early Modern and 3rd in class. Set some personal records on quite a few stages. Glad to be getting my Gold Targa plate tonight at the presentation dinner.

Ray

raybak
29th April 2012, 09:00
Lots of talk at the moment about Tony Quinn's push for 200kmh speed limits on the stages. I don't think that Octagon will enforce this, although now under CAMS may be a bit of pressure.

Ray