PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Alonso has ruled out ever becoming a 'pay driver' in Formula One

CNR
29th February 2012, 09:53
F1 : Alonso rules out becoming a Formula 1 driver that would pay for his race seat (http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32884:f1--alonso-rules-out-becoming-a-formula-1-driver-that-would-pay-for-his-race-seat&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157)
(what a joke ?)

Fernando Alonso has ruled out ever becoming a 'pay driver' in Formula One, the Spaniard, a double world champion and now entering his third consecutive season with Ferrari, is believed to be the sport's current highest earner.

EuroTroll
29th February 2012, 10:09
All it means is that he won't cling on when he's "past it". Seems sensible.

Mark
29th February 2012, 10:48
Bit of a non story, what successful driver - never mind a double world champion, ever would?

Knock-on
29th February 2012, 11:52
He is a pay driver anyway. Santander paid for Kimi to be paid off and Fred was shoe-horned in.

jens
29th February 2012, 14:25
All it means is that he won't cling on when he's "past it". Seems sensible.

Not necessarily. :) Schumacher isn't a paydriver, but nonetheless is past his prime and keeps going.

EuroTroll
29th February 2012, 14:33
Not necessarily. :) Schumacher isn't a paydriver, but nonetheless is past his prime and keeps going.

Schumacher is past his prime, but he isn't past it, IMO. :) "It" being competitiveness.

The Black Knight
29th February 2012, 14:36
Of course he wouldn't, he is one of the greatest drivers in the world. Any team would be honoured to have him as their driver.

Regarding Schumacher, he isn't past it, he simply isn't as quick as he used to be.

DexDexter
29th February 2012, 18:14
He is a pay driver anyway. Santander paid for Kimi to be paid off and Fred was shoe-horned in.

Exactly. Still, a very good driver.

Garry Walker
29th February 2012, 21:31

Yep.

airshifter
1st March 2012, 04:08

And the money was well spent as well. I mean, after only one WDC from Kimi, look how many 6/10ths has earned for the team! :D

Mia 01
1st March 2012, 06:24
And the money was well spent as well. I mean, after only one WDC from Kimi, look how many 6/10ths has earned for the team! :D

This year it´s not enough, the team will need soething like 1 - 2 seconds from Alonso. But I´m sure he will make it, he´s use to.

Good luck to him and the team this year.

driveace
1st March 2012, 10:01
He went to Ferrari as he believed they would give him the BEST car,i know he can hussle a car that is not the best,but as yet I dont feel that Ferrari have fulfilled their promise to give him the best car.Time will tell

Mia 01
2nd March 2012, 06:34
Are you saying Alonso can bridge the performance gap by extracting up to 2 seconds from a car that isn't fast enough? :what:

He's a very good driver, one of the best but really???

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

He he, umh, yes I belive this, to a degree. but perhaps 0,6 seconds are moore realistic.

Mark
2nd March 2012, 08:40
Err no its complete myth. Alonso may be able to reach the potential of a car more often than Felipe, but he cannot make a car go faster than it is designed to go Mia.

Yes, but the design limit of a car isn't something which is known. But you're completely correct in saying that e.g. Alonso might be able to get to 98% of the maximum (but unknown) speed, whereas Massa can only get to 97.5%

airshifter
2nd March 2012, 13:58
Err no its complete myth. Alonso may be able to reach the potential of a car more often than Felipe, but he cannot make a car go faster than it is designed to go Mia.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

People go faster than the car can go all the time. They call them accidents. :D

I do agree that Alonso is very good at getting the most out of the car, and personally think he's one of the best drivers in the field. I simply dislike his attitude that every team mate should bow down to him. If he's in fact always faster nobody should need to alter their race to allow him to pass, and any decent team mate would play #2 if already out of the WDC contention.

pino
2nd March 2012, 16:06
This year it´s not enough, the team will need soething like 1 - 2 seconds from Alonso. But I´m sure he will make it, he´s use to.

Good luck to him and the team this year.

I am starting to like you Mia ;)