PDA

View Full Version : Honda's 12 engines???

GRW1983
21st February 2012, 16:32
I keep reading that Sarah Fisher can't get a Honda because they have already comitted to 12 engine deals. When did they give out 2 more??? Ganassi 4, Rahal 2, Coyne 2, & 1 each for Foyt & SSM. They are the only deals I can find official confirmation for, so who is getting the 2 extra Honda's when Fisher & Conquest are on the sidelines & Shank might be as well, although they could yet land a Lotus deal depending on what you read.

I can't work out why Honda can't give Sarah or Eric an engine???
Anybody know exactly why???

FIAT1
21st February 2012, 16:45
I don't understand why Honda, GM can't supply two more engines each ,now that Indycar has new dilema of to many cars. Imagine that. What a problem to have, but knowing the players they have a history of destroying all things great, and then wonder where did fans go.

GRW1983
21st February 2012, 17:27
You would think that it wouldn't be too much to ask for Lotus to supply Shank, Chevrolet to supply Fisher & Honda supply Conquest. That way each manufacturer takes on 1 additional lease so that all three are helping the series fill the grid. Yes, they aren't obliged to, but it would be good if they all decided to do so. Anyway, they are going off 25 cars. We are already at 26, so all we are talking about is 3 more. Surely 4 more cars shouldn't cripple the engine supply for IndyCar.

FIAT1
21st February 2012, 19:08
Obligations are understood,but couple more engines would not make a dent in Honda or GM programs and rest assured if Penske or Ganassi needed engine for one more car it would be there. Sometimes things have to take place for the good of the sport.

FIAT1
21st February 2012, 21:03
Hmm, you really believe that either Honda or GM care about the good of the sport? It's a marketing tool, nothing more, nothing less. As such it has an ROI like anything else in business. As mentioned above, both have already committed beyond their original budgets. Sure is easy to spend other people's money.

Giving Sarah engine would not brake the bank but would be great story and good pr for month of may, as for spending other people's money I buy my ticket with my own money to see them race therefore I'm allowed to show displeasure at present situation or Am I?

00steven
22nd February 2012, 01:10
Honda and Chevy did their part, Lotus can do theirs. Perhaps if Sarah put together a better plan this wouldn't be happening right now. She wasn't even planing a full time year, so why would Honda or Chevy benefit from spending their own money to fund a part time team?

If she needs an engine than I suggest Indycar TELL Lotus that they need to get her one.

chuck34
22nd February 2012, 14:20
Why wouldn't Chevy, Honda, or Lotus want to sell/lease/whatever another engine? I'm missing something. That is unless they are taking a loss on engines? Have the three manufacturers agreed to some strange scheme where they are only allowed to sell/lease engines at a loss to them?

Color me confused?

DBell
22nd February 2012, 15:03
Why wouldn't Chevy, Honda, or Lotus want to sell/lease/whatever another engine? I'm missing something. That is unless they are taking a loss on engines? Have the three manufacturers agreed to some strange scheme where they are only allowed to sell/lease engines at a loss to them?

Color me confused?

I think they are losing money on the engines. Increasing the engines they supply will increase their losses.

I think Starter was spot on with this:
Hmm, you really believe that either Honda or GM care about the good of the sport? It's a marketing tool, nothing more, nothing less. As such it has an ROI like anything else in business. As mentioned above, both have already committed beyond their original budgets. Sure is easy to spend other people's money.

FIAT1
22nd February 2012, 15:42
And then we'd be back to some teams being more equal than others. Sarah's team is a feel good story for sure, but to give her preference over others is a really, really bad idea. Who gets the next new "special" part, or break in qualifying or the race? And why? That's a slippery slope for sure.

The suppliers have fulfilled more than the contracted number of engines (sans Lotus). If you make a special deal for her then what are you going to do for the other teams needing engines? Oh sorry, you're not a woman owner too bad you don't get one. That's not only sexist, it's probably illegal to discriminate that way.

Woman owner, sexist ,descriminate etc is misplaced statement of what tread is obout. Yung American racer from ladder series should have a chance to race in majors and big supliers should step up as they could at this time of new begining when small company's can't. Happens to be that he is hired to the team that has woman as part owner. This team has help series when they needed full field. Teams pay for engine and I don't see nothing special obout that. Some teams get milions from family that controls everything to run in the series and they get engine to. That is equal or special? Penske or Ganassi wont get special developed parts first and they have their wind tunel ,money etc. Equal? What category of discrimination is that ? None. This is racing business and there is no equal . Did GM get special treatment when they needed helping hand form all of us or that's equal? (Boy, it's easy to spend other peoples money). What I'm traying to say is give this team chance to buy/lease engine, kid a chance to race,nothing more ,because there is nothing special obout that , it is just right thing to do for the series ,fans and month of may and if that is so wrong then any futher statement on the matter from me is unnecessary.

GRW1983
22nd February 2012, 16:23
Does anyone actually know who the teams receiving additional engines from Honda are??? Ganassi 4, Coyne 2, Rahal 2, & 1 each for Foyt & SSM are the current figures yet they say they are comitting to 12. It would be nice if they confirmed these 2 extra leases. Also, seems that Lotus will start the season with only 5 cars. As it stands Conquest, Fisher & Shank will miss the start of the season.

chuck34
22nd February 2012, 18:07
There's also the issue of being able to produce additional engines in the time left. Rush it too much and you have a supply of hand grenades. Something no one wants and a disaster for the mfg with the blown engines.

I'm not sure that's an issue. I don't know much about building engines. But I just can't believe that it would take more than a week to build one.

chuck34
22nd February 2012, 20:14
Once you have all the parts probably less than a day to assemble. Making the parts to tolerance and doing the necessary balancing and machining is a different story. These aren't manufacturer assembly lines. They are low volume specialty engine builders.

Obviously. But they don't have just 72 pistons to make the 12 engines, they have spares etc.

I suspect that if DBell is right, and they are loosing money on every engine, that is more of the reason not to produce more. Seems like an odd situation, but then again I don't work in advertising so who knows.

Blancvino
23rd February 2012, 12:55
It seems to me that Lotus should be doing what it takes to fulfill their commitment. If they cannot, the the series owes engines to teams that purchased a chassis. Parnelli Jone's turbine is not doing anything. ;-)

GRW1983
23rd February 2012, 17:02
Seems that Robin Miller can't count. Honda STILL only has 10 cars & Sarah Fisher's only hope is Bobby Rahal allowing her to lease his teams 2nd engine until May when she would then get her own Honda deal. So, the 2nd Rahal may have to wait for now. Watch this space.

GRW1983
23rd February 2012, 19:47
Seems that Robin Miller can't count. Honda STILL only has 10 cars & Sarah Fisher's only hope is Bobby Rahal allowing her to lease his teams 2nd engine until May when she would then get her own Honda deal. So, the 2nd Rahal may have to wait for now. Watch this space.
From autosport talking to Luca Filippi:
"This year if you don't have everything finalised you can't have an engine (to test with). It's very tough to make it happen". Sounds like Sarah Fisher might yet land a Honda in time for St.Pete. i hope so.

ykiki
24th February 2012, 00:13
Obviously. But they don't have just 72 pistons to make the 12 engines, they have spares etc.

I suspect that if DBell is right, and they are loosing money on every engine, that is more of the reason not to produce more. Seems like an odd situation, but then again I don't work in advertising so who knows.

Working in the aerospace industry with machining and investment casting suppliers, manufacturing all of the extra pieces to spec without cutting corners (especially when it comes to cast parts designed to operate at high temperatures), getting another engine manufactured in less than a month is a daunting task.

chuck34
24th February 2012, 12:36
Working in the aerospace industry with machining and investment casting suppliers, manufacturing all of the extra pieces to spec without cutting corners (especially when it comes to cast parts designed to operate at high temperatures), getting another engine manufactured in less than a month is a daunting task.

Yes, starting from scratch it would be pretty much impossible to manufacture an engine in a month.

But do you honestly believe that they only have 12 crank shafts, 72 pistons, 12 blocks, etc. laying around? Or for that matter that they only have 12 complete engines ready to go? I have to think that they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-14 spare engines ready to go right now. How hard would it be to take one of those spares, sell/lease it to SFR, then in the meantime start building up another spare which in all likelyhood won't be needed for at least a month.

GRW1983
24th February 2012, 17:07
Good news!!! According to Curt Cavin, Sarah Fisher will get the engine earmarked for Rahal's 2nd car. The deal is said to be imminent, although Sarah herself won't comment until "she has something to comment on". Finally, some common sense in IndyCar. :)

FIAT1
24th February 2012, 17:19
Smart. Aplaude for Honda!

garyshell
24th February 2012, 22:57
Sarah just posted a lnk on Facebook. Honda it is!

SFHR, NEWGARDEN TO RACE FULL IZOD INDYCAR SEASON WITH HONDA | Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing (http://sfhracing.com/sfhr-newgarden-racing-full-izod-indycar-season-honda/)

INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, Feb. 24, 2012 – Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing and rookie sensation Josef Newgarden will compete in the entire 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season with Honda power.
SFHR and Newgarden will be on the grid for the season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on Sunday, March 25 with the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Dallara/Honda/Firestone, as the team’s engine program with Honda came to fruition for all 16 races in 2012.

“Everyone at SFHR is ecstatic about competing in the entire 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season with Josef behind the wheel and with Honda engines,” team co-owner Sarah Fisher said. “We couldn’t have done it without the support of our loyal fans, who mobilized on our behalf through email, social media, texting and phone calls. Their voices were heard. We had been in discussions with Honda since last season, and I'm delighted that it finally came together. My heart has been in IndyCar for several years, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to enter a season as a full-time owner. Honda saw an opportunity and has given our team a chance to be on the grid in St. Petersburg. I’m really proud of the hard work by so many to pull this package together.
“I’d also like to give special thanks to Indy 500 winner and IZOD IndyCar Series team owner Bobby Rahal for helping us initiate our 2012 partnership with Honda. Bobby once again personified the definition of a gentleman and sportsman, remembering how we helped his son Graham. This is a wonderful example of paying it forward.”
"SFHR is excited to continue its relationship with Honda into the 2012 season,” Hartman said. “We are thankful for the great relationship with Honda and express much gratitude for their support of our team and the faith they have in our ability. To be a part of the Honda family is an honor we won't take lightly."

Fisher stepped from the cockpit of her team’s car for four IZOD IndyCar Series races in early 2010 so Graham Rahal would have a drive. That helped Rahal stay on a career arc that would land him a seat with Chip Ganassi Racing in 2011 and would eventually make the introduction to his current sponsor, Service Central.
Rising American star Newgarden will drive the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Dallara/Honda/Firestone at the IZOD IndyCar Series Open Test March 8-9 at Sebring, Fla., with other private tests also scheduled before the season opener. Newgarden, 21, advanced to the pinnacle of North American open-wheel racing with SFHR after winning the 2011 Firestone Indy Lights championship. He will compete for IZOD IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year honors in 2012.
“I’m thrilled to get the chance to race the entire season,” Newgarden said. “This is a dream come true, thanks to Honda and the unwavering support of Sarah’s fans. I can’t wait for St. Petersburg.”

The partnership with Honda is another big step forward for SFHR, which was formed in 2008 as Sarah Fisher Racing and earned its first IZOD IndyCar Series victory in 2011 at Kentucky Speedway. The Indianapolis-based team announced last December a partnership with businessman Wink Hartman, the hiring of Newgarden as its IZOD IndyCar Series driver and plans to build a new race shop and offices in Speedway, Ind., in the shadows of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
"When Bobby kindly offered to forego his second full season lease in order to ensure that Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing could be on the grid from the start of the season, we were happy to be able to help facilitate the matter,” said Steve Eriksen, Vice President of Honda Performance vDevelopment. “We're pleased to be able to continue our relationship with Sarah Fisher and her new team and look forward to a successful rookie year from Josef following on the heels of his 2011 Indy Lights championship."
“Sarah Fisher is a class act and so is everyone at Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing,” said Rahal. “The team did great things for Graham when he didn’t have a program, and I am happy we were in a position to help her. We are disappointed that we couldn’t put our second program together in time for the start of the season and hope to have that resolved by the Indianapolis 500. Either way, like the many fans of the team, we are happy that SFHR and Josef Newgarden will compete for a full season in 2012.”

garyshell
24th February 2012, 22:59
And hats off to Bobby Rahal and David Letterman for helping this happen.

Gary

Nikki Katz
25th February 2012, 12:12
Yeah, I'm still annoyed that this happened in the first place though. Newgarden isn't an additional car, he's replacing Luca Filippi. He's quite a strange driver - on his day he can beat absolutely anyone, but he often gets lost in the midfield too. He did have a fantastic second half of the year in GP2 last year and it would be a shame if he doesn't get a seat in any series at all this year.

It looks like Tracy, Saavedra and Beatriz. I admit that in the dying years of Champ Car I did tend to boo whenever Tracy came on the telly, but in his few IRL outings he's actually gone pretty well, and I would have really liked to see what he could do over a full season. Not overly fussed about the other two, but I would have liked to see more of Baguette as he seemed to drop out of IndyCar before he'd been given a proper shot. It doesn't sound like there was much chance of him getting a full time seat regardless of the engine problems this year though.

I hope that they get this sorted out for Indy or there'll be a very small grid. Hopefully if the extra engines are built for that then there'll be a few extra cars afterwards? Perhaps wishful thinking...