PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans tops sporting events

Jag_Warrior
19th February 2012, 05:34
:)

Le Mans tops sporting events

National Geographic magazine has listed the Le Mans 24 Hours as the premier sporting event in the world and “should be seen by all sports enthusiasts at least once in their lives.”
The classic race in northwest France, celebrating its 80th anniversary this June, has now occupied the No. 1 slot in the publication's annual survey for three years. This year it is rated above the Olympic Games in second place, the World Cup in soccer, the Super Bowl, the NBA final (basketball), the Masters (golf), the Argentine Open (polo), the Wimbledon tournament (tennis), the World Series (baseball) and the Grand National in England (horse racing).
National Geographic justified its selection by saying: “Skill, speed and stamina are the three S's that mark the world's best automobile race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The event, organized by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, bridges past and present on a nonpermanent track near the city of Le Mans on the Sarthe river. Fifty-six cars start in a series of classes that include prototypes, dedicated race cars and modified street cars. The diversity of autos gives the race a mix of old-fashioned and modern competitors.”
The ACO might wish that the magazine's opinion was shared by TV viewers. When the New York Giants edged out the New England Patriots, 21-17, in this year's Super Bowl, data released by the Nielsen Company revealed that NBC's broadcast of the game was the most-watched TV show in American history. Nielsen's estimate of 111.3 million viewers is far beyond the ACO's wildest dreams.

Le Mans tops sporting events (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120217/F1/120219876)

scaliwag
19th February 2012, 10:27
I guess I must be one of the lucky few, haven't missed many Le Mans since the 1970's and since the Superbowl has been televised in the UK I've not missed any.

However I'm lead to believe Le Mans is probably the best supported by the number fans at the track.

Regards scaliwag

harvick#1
19th February 2012, 13:53
I will completely agree, I think Le Mans is prolly #1 on my bucket list. Super Bowl is just another game, Le Mans 24 Hours is special, its different and it can never be replicated. and the best thing about racing is that its one of the few sports to evolve in time, just look from the past ten years how much the race improved from reliability and sheer speed, as the other thing of the the numerous Auto Manufacturers being represented in the race. La Sarthe ranks up there as well for me as one the best tracks the world

scaliwag
20th February 2012, 16:04
Hi harvick#1, please translate what does bucket list refer to?

I'm old, I stopped counting my age several years ago on my seventieth birthday.

Regards a confused scaliwag.

harvick#1
21st February 2012, 01:48
a bucket list is a list of things of things you would like to do before you die.

most people will say travel around the world, run a marathon, see certain events live, etc...

scaliwag
21st February 2012, 09:13
Thanks for that harvick, if you can get yourself to London you are welcome to join me the misses and two friends in our motorhome to the camp site at the track.

Regards scaliwag.

DavePI2
24th February 2012, 00:47
ever since 1970 when I discovered lemans and the porsche 917 this has always been the one constant on my bucket list. Too bad the lemans start was done away with after the 1969 race(1970 start doesn't count).

ProRally
4th March 2012, 17:31
:)

Le Mans tops sporting events

Le Mans tops sporting events (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120217/F1/120219876)

Been to the circuit many times for other events, but this year I will be there for the 80th Anniversary .... looking forward to June

scaliwag
5th March 2012, 14:52
Hi ProRally, look us up we'll be in Tertre Rouge camp site, look for a Rapido motorhome with one old gal and three old duffers, combined age that of Methuselah, if you can

make it we'll buy you several beers.

Regards scaliwag.

BDunnell
13th March 2012, 15:51
If there is one race from history at which I wish I'd been present (and born in time to have been there), it's the 1969 Le Mans. I'd still love to attend, though, even if it can never be the same as that again.

kober
31st May 2012, 15:24
National Geographic magazine has listed the Le Mans 24 Hours as the premier sporting event in the world and “should be seen by all sports enthusiasts at least once in their lives.” Small wonder - LM24 is the best race there is :) For those who would like to relive the best (from Audi's perspective) of last year's race, I'd suggest to take a look at the "TRUTH IN 24 II - Every Second Counts", now continently available in HD on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27F26UA1i6M).

ProRally
5th June 2012, 07:58
Hi ProRally, look us up we'll be in Tertre Rouge camp site, look for a Rapido motorhome with one old gal and three old duffers, combined age that of Methuselah, if you can

make it we'll buy you several beers.

Regards scaliwag.

I have arrived here in the paddock last thursday and staying here till after the race.
We had good test on sunday, now preparing for wednesday free practice and then we change the engine to the event engine.
I try to come by and say hello....