PDA

View Full Version : Danica says she's going to win the 500

Alfa Fan
17th February 2012, 23:29
Danica Patrick says she can win Daytona 500 on her NASCAR Sprint Cup debut - NASCAR news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97564)

Honestly.

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 23:37
She never said that she would win. She said that she could. :rolleyes:
Given the equipment she will be in and the style of racing at Daytona, that could very well be the case. I don't think she will, but if all the stars and planets align a certain way it could happen. I heard the interview. She was asked if she had a chance to win it.What was she supposed to say, that she didn't have an ice cubes chance in hell? It kinda reminds me of when Eli Manning was asked before this season if he was an elite QB and was blasted all season for saying yes. Must be real fun depositing that Super Bowl MVP check, don't ya think?

call_me_andrew
18th February 2012, 00:23
Damn your misleading title!

If a driver of Michael Waltrip's caliber can win the Daytona 500 twice, any idiot can do it at least once.

Sparky1329
18th February 2012, 06:17
Damn your misleading title!

If a driver of Michael Waltrip's caliber can win the Daytona 500 twice, any idiot can do it at least once.

Excellent point.

00steven
18th February 2012, 12:41
Tony will push her to victory, you watch.

nigelred5
19th February 2012, 01:51
Jeesus, I can't believe they have her on the broadcast like she's some sort of seasoned veteran.

Sparky1329
19th February 2012, 05:57
Teo Waltrips on the same broadcast is more than enough and then we get Danica. I already hate Fox.

DanicaFan
19th February 2012, 06:01
Danica said she could win and the truth is anyone can in that race. But in this case, Danica will win this year's Daytona. Look for her on the pole position after qualifying!

00steven
19th February 2012, 15:34
Danica said she could win and the truth is anyone can in that race. But in this case, Danica will win this year's Daytona. Look for her on the pole position after qualifying!

uh-huh...

Sparky1329
19th February 2012, 17:31

Yeah, sure. And pigs will fly.

slorydn1
19th February 2012, 18:04
I don't know if y'all watched qually practice yesterday, but all of us Harvick, Danica, Shrub fans are going to be sorely disappointed. Sniffle will be sitting on the pole at the end of the day. You heard it here first.

call_me_andrew
19th February 2012, 18:26

I wish I could be as blindly loyal to bad ideas as you are.

slorydn1
19th February 2012, 18:38
I don't know if y'all watched qually practice yesterday, but all of us Harvick, Danica, Shrub fans are going to be sorely disappointed. Sniffle will be sitting on the pole at the end of the day. You heard it here first.
Well a wind gust shot THAT all to hell....

slorydn1
19th February 2012, 18:39

10th quickest of the 12 cars to qualify so far......not too good...

Sparky1329
19th February 2012, 20:11
I wish I could be as blindly loyal to bad ideas as you are.

I'm glad I can't.

Patrick - 28th.

harvick#1
20th February 2012, 00:09

since when the hell has Harvick EVER been a good qualifier :laugh:

but great to see DF posting absolutely stupid posts again, looks like I'll be off the Nascar forum and in the IRL forum so I dont have to read these idiotic posts

Jag_Warrior
20th February 2012, 06:14
She was asked if she had a chance to win it.What was she supposed to say, that she didn't have an ice cubes chance in hell?

I never gamble. But maybe I'll put some money on something this year - just for fun. The Vegas sports books had Danica's odds at 50:1 for winning the Daytona 500. But I'm almost certain that I saw a sports book that had the odds of an ice cube surviving in hell at 40:1. I think I gotta put my money on that ice cube. :D

Well, I guess NASCAR wanted a ratings boost after a couple of flat years. And in The Danica, they have it. Other than the Kardashian sisters or Paris Hilton, I can't think of a bigger attention wh*** in America today. Assuming NASCAR fans don't catch onto her schtick any sooner than the IRL fans did, I figure she can ride this train for 3-5 years. And who knows, Stewart may even be able to orchestrate a Top 10 for her somewhere along the line.

I'm still putting my $2 bet on that ice cube though. He's been training in the Mexican desert all Winter. He can dooooo it! I just know it! :bounce:

beachbum
20th February 2012, 11:33

I'm glad I can't.

Patrick - 28th.
Good thing PimpDaddy purchased her starting spot because her time would have been fourth of the goomers and she would would have to race her way in. She was the only driver to go slower than their practice speed in qualifying. No wonder Zippy had a nervous twitch when he was interviewed. His ears were probably still ringing.

Now she can run at the back and still start the 500.

The NASCAR season has barely started and the Danica media adulation train is already grating.

wedge
20th February 2012, 13:27
Tony will push her to victory, you watch.

Rubbing Danica

Banging Danica

1OvMZT2zfy0

heliocastroneves#3
21st February 2012, 17:22
Danica also said she would win the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship. After seven years she finally saw she's not championship material. That's why she made the move to NASCAR. But about some years she will understand she's not championship material in NASCAR as well, because then she still hasn't won the Daytona 500 and the championship. What's she's gonna do after NASCAR? American Le Mans?

Lee Roy
22nd February 2012, 15:17
Assuming NASCAR fans don't catch onto her schtick any sooner than the IRL fans did, . . . . .

The IRL fan's biggest problem with Patrick was that she never provided the IRL with the mainstream popularity (TV ratings and attendance) that they had once hoped for. I don't think that will be an issue for the NASCAR fans, I just think they will grow tired of the hype, unless she shows some promise.

heliocastroneves#3
22nd February 2012, 17:46
Well... For me as an IRL fan, the biggest problem with Patrick was that everyone was focused on her, while her results were not half as good as the results from guys like Wheldon (oh I still miss him so much :( ), Dixon, Franchitti, Castroneves, Power, etc.

And of course she was whining a lot when more road/street courses came on the schedule, instead of ovals.... She clearly never understood that this was to save IndyCar, as many ovals were not successful on the financial side. Not to mention her style of driving.... She never tried to do a dangerous or spectacular overtake, and defending her position is also something she clearly had never heard about. C'mon, other drivers overtook her so easily on some road/street courses...

She came from the Toyota Atlantics, before moving to IndyCar and in the Toyota Atlantics only ONE oval was on the whole schedule... You would almost say that this should mean she would do a good job on the road/street courses in IndyCar.... Not.... Uhm, well... She qualified on the front row twice in 2007, at Mid-Ohio and Infineon. But sadly for her and her fans, she was cheating with power steering when she did that. Poor Danica.... It's a bit of a shame that the most popular driver just failed to win at least one road course event in 2007, with all the assistance she had.... Even with power steering she got pwned by Dixon, Franchitti, Castroneves, Hornish, etc.

I like NASCAR, but I'm not a real fan of it. That's why I'm glad DanicaMania is now NASCAR's problem, so IndyCar's most popular driver can be finally someone who deserves it.... Based on a combination of racing talent and personality, and not based on looks. The problem many IndyCar fans had with her, was that she got more attention then real drivers like Tony Kanaan, Sam Hornish Jr., Hélio Castroneves, Dario Franchitti, Dan Wheldon, Scott Dixon, etc... That's understandable, isn't it?

harvick#1
25th February 2012, 01:13
I like NASCAR, but I'm not a real fan of it. That's why I'm glad DanicaMania is now NASCAR's problem, so IndyCar's most popular driver can be finally someone who deserves it.... Based on a combination of racing talent and personality, and not based on looks. The problem many IndyCar fans had with her, was that she got more attention then real drivers like Tony Kanaan, Sam Hornish Jr., Hélio Castroneves, Dario Franchitti, Dan Wheldon, Scott Dixon, etc... That's understandable, isn't it?

we are cut away from the 3 way battle for the lead to see how 17th place Danica is trying making a move for 16th. thats what the IRL was dealing with for years, no wonder alot of fans tuned away from the sport, I for one hope many come back as its a great series and now that the sideshow is gone, it can get the recognition it can get again with great drivers in the series.

I believe we should take bets on who DW says more, Junior or Danica. better have those mute buttons ready :laugh:

00steven
25th February 2012, 01:30
NASCAR better get ready, from what I've seen Danica has already overlapsed Jr. in coverage. This could be annoying as hell, even more so with NASCAR than Indycar.

Sparky1329
25th February 2012, 06:02
I'm tired of all Danica all the time already.

beachbum
25th February 2012, 11:17
I'm tired of all Danica all the time already.
Get used to it.

heliocastroneves#3
25th February 2012, 12:11
Well... At least for the next 7 years, NASCAR will be nothing more then DanicaMania. But don't worry.... Because after 7 years she understands, she's not a championship contender, and then she might try American Le Mans LOL. Just ignore her, like I do. And it has a positive side... Because now I can bash on her 34 weekends in a year. :)

JTK
25th February 2012, 13:59
Well... At least for the next 7 years, NASCAR will be nothing more then DanicaMania. But don't worry.... Because after 7 years she understands, she's not a championship contender, and then she might try American Le Mans LOL. Just ignore her, like I do. And it has a positive side... Because now I can bash on her 34 weekends in a year. :)

You have to give her respect though on winning pole for Nationwide Daytona race, but that said she will need to consistently get Top 5/10 finishes in that series before she can be considered one of the real main series challengers. As for the Sprint Cup that will be even more of a challenge. but give her a chance

heliocastroneves#3
25th February 2012, 14:12
She did a good job, no doubt about that.... But in her first year in IndyCar, she managed to score multiple pole positions as well. I know NASCAR's oval racing is different than IndyCars, but I think you have the same amount of chance to win this race when you start 14th or something like that.

Alfa Fan
25th February 2012, 19:21
Danica eats concrete.

Tazio
25th February 2012, 20:59
I'm really just a fan of Sprint Cup. It will be interesting to see if they pump her up in the comentary during those races.
I may have to start the race about 1/2 hour late so I can tivo forward through the commercials that will promote DP in The Nationwide Series!

Sparky1329
26th February 2012, 05:54
Get used to it.

I don't think that's possible. She deserves some extra attention for winning the pole. I'll give her that. Otherwise she's a mid-pack driver at best and her on-track performance doesn't warrant the amount of TV time she's getting.

Marbles
29th February 2012, 01:33
Apparently D. Waltrip is drinking the Kool-Aid. I saw the Johnson incident and although she certainly wasn't at fault for his problems it looked like she took a hard left and drove her and the feller she hit both into the sideways Johnson. That happens in NASCAR crashes but...

Waltrip marvelling at how Patrick's car slitherd between two other wrecking cars in the infield. Short of directly crediting Patrick with some heroic avoidance measures it seemed like he was considering it.

It was only moments later when they showed Johnson's in-car camera and him drawing his hands in towards his chest to avoid getting his thumbs ripped off or wrists broken by the steering wheel when his car hits the wall. This is a trick that the boys learned from Danica, according good ole D.W. Yes, apparently NASCAR drivers recently learned something from Danica that open wheel drivers have done since their crew chiefs sat next to them in the car.

Is this true?

What advice are they getting the big D. next week? Sitting on telephone book allows you to see over the dash?

Lee Roy
29th February 2012, 02:04
NASCAR better get ready, from what I've seen Danica has already overlapsed Jr. in coverage. This could be annoying as hell, even more so with NASCAR than Indycar.

It shouldn't be too bad. At least NASCAR has other things to concentrate on. Indy Car had nothing else on any interest but Danicamania.

Bob Riebe
29th February 2012, 02:12
It shouldn't be too bad. At least NASCAR has other things to concentrate on. Indy Car had nothing else on any interest but Danicamania.

Wasn't there another woman driver in the race?

slorydn1
29th February 2012, 14:58
Wasn't there another woman driver in the race?

Not in the 500...Johanna Long was in the Nationwide race though (started and finished p21). Jennifer Jo Cobb DNQ'd for the truck race.

heliocastroneves#3
29th February 2012, 17:05

That's why everyone started to bash on her and she wasn't even voted as the most popular driver last year? I know they gave that award to Dan Wheldon, because his life came to an end in a crash at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, but even then I don't think Danica would have won that award last year. The DanicaMania already started to fade away a little bit, since she started to do part time NASCAR schedules.

Jag_Warrior
5th March 2012, 02:56
What's she's gonna do after NASCAR? American Le Mans?

Been there, tried that too. They stuck her in a Ferrari in the GTS class for a stint or two several years ago, but I don't think she completed the assignment. Same thing with Grand Am. I can't remember who she shared the car with, but the word I heard was she cracked the gearbox during her stint. Her fault or not, the car did fall out after she got out. For a supposedly "trained" road course driver, who allegedly burned up the courses in Europe before coming back here, for some odd reason, road courses don't seem to suit her any longer. Hmm...

Now, we've seen how (legitimate) road racers, like Villeneuve, Montoya and other former open wheelers, have done in stock cars on road courses - right out of the box! So IMO, it will be VERY interesting to see how The Danica does this season when the NWS makes its first stop on a road course. I'm thinking that Brad Daugherty and the boys on the ESPN race broadcast better start dreaming up some good excuses for that comedy show right now.

beachbum
5th March 2012, 11:50
Been there, tried that too. They stuck her in a Ferrari in the GTS class for a stint or two several years ago, but I don't think she completed the assignment. Same thing with Grand Am. I can't remember who she shared the car with, but the word I heard was she cracked the gearbox during her stint. Her fault or not, the car did fall out after she got out. For a supposedly "trained" road course driver, who allegedly burned up the courses in Europe before coming back here, for some odd reason, road courses don't seem to suit her any longer. Hmm...

Now, we've seen how (legitimate) road racers, like Villeneuve, Montoya and other former open wheelers, have done in stock cars on road courses - right out of the box! So IMO, it will be VERY interesting to see how The Danica does this season when the NWS makes its first stop on a road course. I'm thinking that Brad Daugherty and the boys on the ESPN race broadcast better start dreaming up some good excuses for that comedy show right now.
Her sports car history

Rahal got her a ride in a Prodrive Ferrari at Road Atlanta in 2003. It was supposed to be a multi-race deal. Her co driver got sick in the race, and she was to run the rest of the race after he got out of the car. But she was 3 seconds a lap slower and they yanked her well before her stint was up and the still sick co driver ran the rest of the race. She never drove the car again.

She ran 2 Rolex 24 races for Crawford. The first in 2006 she was paired with Alan McNish and Rusty Wallace. She was about the same speed as Wallace (who was basically retired and mostly seconds off the pace). The car started to have engine problems and when she went out for an early stint, she was told to take it easy on the engine as it was running a bit hot. Like today, the TV coverage followed her every move and listened to her radio. Right out of the pits "taking it easy", she was banging the rev limiter on every shift and screaming over the radio that the mirrors wouldn't adjust. She ran a handful of laps until the engine overheated. They tried to fix the car, but put McNish back in the car and retired shortly thereafter with engine failure.

In 2009 she ran again with Andy Wallace, Rob Findley, and Casey Mears. She missed one night stint because she forgot her helmet (left it in the motorhome) and the other driver had to triple stint. In another she was to double stint so the drivers doing all of the work could rest. But she was so off the pace, they yanked her after about 20 minutes, and that was the end of her "contribution". Both events happened at night when there was no TV coverage, and wasn't mentioned on the air, but the team later confirmed the reports.

When Andretti ran ALMS, she tested - once, but the results were a bit vague and she was not "chosen" to drive for the team.

heliocastroneves#3
5th March 2012, 14:10
Hahahaha, and what about her Nationwide race in Phoenix? I'm still doubting if I have to call her a backmarker or a mediocre driver. :p

gloomyDAY
7th March 2012, 04:56
I'm so glad this chick isn't IndyCar's problem anymore.

Oh, enjoy DanicaFan too. Talk about a fanboy...

Jag_Warrior
7th March 2012, 11:47
Her sports car history

Rahal got her a ride in a Prodrive Ferrari at Road Atlanta in 2003. It was supposed to be a multi-race deal. Her co driver got sick in the race, and she was to run the rest of the race after he got out of the car. But she was 3 seconds a lap slower and they yanked her well before her stint was up and the still sick co driver ran the rest of the race. She never drove the car again.

She ran 2 Rolex 24 races for Crawford. The first in 2006 she was paired with Alan McNish and Rusty Wallace. She was about the same speed as Wallace (who was basically retired and mostly seconds off the pace). The car started to have engine problems and when she went out for an early stint, she was told to take it easy on the engine as it was running a bit hot. Like today, the TV coverage followed her every move and listened to her radio. Right out of the pits "taking it easy", she was banging the rev limiter on every shift and screaming over the radio that the mirrors wouldn't adjust. She ran a handful of laps until the engine overheated. They tried to fix the car, but put McNish back in the car and retired shortly thereafter with engine failure.

In 2009 she ran again with Andy Wallace, Rob Findley, and Casey Mears. She missed one night stint because she forgot her helmet (left it in the motorhome) and the other driver had to triple stint. In another she was to double stint so the drivers doing all of the work could rest. But she was so off the pace, they yanked her after about 20 minutes, and that was the end of her "contribution". Both events happened at night when there was no TV coverage, and wasn't mentioned on the air, but the team later confirmed the reports.

When Andretti ran ALMS, she tested - once, but the results were a bit vague and she was not "chosen" to drive for the team.

This man has a killer memory! :up:

heliocastroneves#3
7th March 2012, 17:40
I'm so glad this chick isn't IndyCar's problem anymore.

Oh, enjoy DanicaFan too. Talk about a fanboy...

Well, being a fan of Danica is just one thing... But I already said it sometime ago.. He's not just a fan, he's suffering a Danica OBSESSION. I'm a Hélio fan, but I'm not constantly comparing every other driver with him or saying things like "Hélio is the best!". Okay, I'm a fan of a driver who knows how to work behind the wheel as he's a 3 time Indianapolis 500 winner, but I'm honest enough to say that I think he's currently not the best Penske driver to take an easy example. Because when you're a fan of someone, you're also able to say the truth about the driver you're rooting for. And DanicaFan is not doing that. Okay, Barrichello still has to prove what he's able to do in the DW12 IndyCar, but he immediately said about Barrichello that he won't be as good as Danica (I never knew Danica was "good" anyway). He also said that Hinchcliffe had "big, big shoes" to take place behind the GoDaddy car. Sadly this sentence was not referred to the late great Dan Wheldon, the man which Hinchcliffe is actually replacing at Andretti Autosport, no it was referred to that bikini girl who got ONE lucky win in SEVEN years.... *kuch* and always had great equipment, but always got... *kuch* *kuch* beaten by her *kuch* team mates.

I have to say I sometimes I agree with what he's saying, but that's all NOT Danica related.