PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Speedweeks Thread

Alexamateo
17th February 2012, 21:56
I was gonna start with the Chad Knaus-JJ car failing inspection story, but slo beat me to it.

Anyway, Here's the Daytona 500 entry list:

No. 1, Jamie McMurray, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing
No. 2, Brad Keselowski, Penske Racing
No. 5, Kasey Kahne, Hendrick Motorsports
No. 6, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Roush Fenway Racing
No. 7, Robby Gordon, Robby Gordon Motorsports
No. 09, Kenny Wallace, RAB Racing
No. 9, Marcos Ambrose, Richard Petty Motorsports
No. 10, Danica Patrick, Tommy Baldwin Racing
No. 11, Denny Hamlin, Joe Gibbs Racing
No. 13, Casey Mears, Germain Racing
No. 14, Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing
No. 15, Clint Bowyer, Michael Waltrip Racing
No. 16, Greg Biffle, Roush Fenway Racing
No. 17, Matt Kenseth, Roush Fenway Racing
No. 18, Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs Racing
No. 20, Joey Logano, Joe Gibbs Racing
No. 21, Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers Racing
No. 22, AJ Allmendinger, Penske Racing
No. 23, Robert Richardson Jr., R3 Motorsports
No. 24, Jeff Gordon, Hendrick Motorsports
No. 26, Tony Raines, Front Row Motorsports
No. 27, Paul Menard, Richard Childress Racing
No. 29, Kevin Harvick, Richard Childress Racing
No. 30, David Stremme, Inception Motorsports,
No. 31, Jeff Burton, Richard Childress Racing
No. 32, Terry Labonte, FAS Lane Racing
No. 33, Elliott Sadler, Richard Childress Racing
No. 34, David Ragan, Front Row Motorsports
No. 36, Dave Blaney, Tommy Baldwin Racing
No. 37, Mike Wallace, MaxQ Motorsports
No. 38, David Gilliland Front Row Motorsports
No. 39, Ryan Newman, Stewart-Haas Racing
No. 40, Michael Waltrip, Hillman Racing
No. 42, Juan Pablo Montoya, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing
No. 43, Aric Almirola, Richard Petty Motorsports
No. 47, Bobby Labonte, JTG-Daugherty Racing
No. 48, Jimmie Johnson, Hendrick Motorsports
No. 49, JJ Yeley, Robinson-Blakeney Racing
No. 51, Kurt Busch, Phoenix Racing
No. 55, Mark Martin, Michael Waltrip Racing
No. 56, Martin Truex Jr., Michael Waltrip Racing
No. 78, Regan Smith, Furniture Row Racing
No. 83, Landon Cassill, BK Racing
No. 87, Joe Nemechek, NEMCO Motorsports
No. 88, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Hendrick Motorsports
No. 93, David Reutimann, BK Racing
No. 97, Bill Elliott, NEMCO Motorsports
No. 98, Michael McDowell, Phil Parsons Racing
No. 99, Carl Edwards, Roush Fenway Racing

49 Cars, looks like 6 are going home, I'll have to research which are not guaranteed top 35 slots.

Alexamateo
17th February 2012, 22:04
The following do not have Top 35 spots:

Kenny Wallace
Robby Gordon
Trevor Bayne (Last Year's Winner)
Robert Richardson Jr.
Tony Raines
David Stremme
Dave Blaney
Mike Wallace
Michael Waltrip
JJ Yeley
Joe Nemechek
Michael McDowell

Terry Labonte is all but guaranteed to make it as he has the first Past Champions Provisional. If he makes it in the Normal way, Bill Elliot has the second. All other past Champions are in the top 35 points.

Danica is using Tommy Baldwin's team points from last year so she is guaranteed to be in.

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 22:06
I was gonna start with the Chad Knaus-JJ car failing inspection story, but slo beat me to it.

Ooops. Sorry :p

I'm off from work today and this is Daytona. Gotta be up on the chip to beat me today :D

Alexamateo
17th February 2012, 23:22
1st practice for Bud Shootout, Kenseth was fastest, Dale Jr. didn't even go out for 20 minutes, and then went out and drafted with JJ, but those two were the two slowest. With what went on earlier, I think some people are sandbagging. Stewart wrecked with both Busch brothers and Allmendinger and Keselowski. Looks like all but Stewart will go to backup cars.

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 23:24
Yep...I love how Harv bailed coming off of 2 just before they all wrecked in 3. I guess he saw something he didn't like :up:

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 23:29
There is rain in the vicinity of the track, a small cell just to the sw of the airport as 2nd practice about to get underway.

NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Melbourne, FL (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MLB&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes)

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 23:40
Red flag for light rain 9 minutes into 2nd practice.....

Alexamateo
18th February 2012, 00:02
Yep...I love how Harv bailed coming off of 2 just before they all wrecked in 3. I guess he saw something he didn't like :up:

Discretion is the better part of valor. ;)

slorydn1
18th February 2012, 00:13
at 1913 hrs (Eastern Time) NASCAR has cancelled the remainder of shootout practice due to rain....... :o

call_me_andrew
19th February 2012, 04:37
I'll say it. NASCAR doesn't care about safety anymore.

DanicaFan
19th February 2012, 05:17
That was some incredible driving by Kyle Busch, just amazing!

Sparky1329
19th February 2012, 05:53
That was some incredible driving by Kyle Busch, just amazing!

I can't stand the twerp but that was some amazing driving before he won the doggone race.

00steven
19th February 2012, 15:38
Say what you will about KB, but there are only a few ever to race who could save that car and still win.

slorydn1
19th February 2012, 18:01
Gotta give it to him, he EARNED that one. The save after the 48 ran him over was like WOW, but I really figured he was done when Jeffroleum turned him. I kinda saw that second one coming with the way he was blocking. Jeffro has proven he will deal with blocking by dumping someone-the2002 Daytona 500 comes to mind- Harv went to block him and Jeff sent him flying.

Alexamateo
20th February 2012, 03:09
Edwards and Biffle will be on the front row for the 500. Also, Trevor Bayne, David Stremme and Tony Raines will be in the 500 based on qualifying speeds regardless of what happens in the duels on Thursday. Good for Bayne, I'd hate to see the defending champ miss out.

Alfa Fan
20th February 2012, 15:57
Visitors found this page by searching for:

whos better jj yeley michael mcdowell or david stremme

Seriously?!

Alexamateo
20th February 2012, 17:40
Visitors found this page by searching for:

whos better jj yeley michael mcdowell or david stremme

Seriously?!

LOL Well right now it's Stremme because he's in and Yeley and McDowell are out, but that could change. :p

Alexamateo
24th February 2012, 21:29
Danica on the pole for the Nationwide race!!! :eek: :D :)

booger
24th February 2012, 22:12
Does anyone really, really believe that Danica is rightfully on the pole for tomorrow's Nationwide race? I'll bet a beer with anyone that she won't lead a lap!

heliocastroneves#3
24th February 2012, 22:20
I also think this is a fake. They probably gave her some steering assistance, like IndyCar did a few years ago.

MD24
24th February 2012, 22:35

I thought you were joking :eek:

harvick#1
25th February 2012, 01:03

Daytona and Talladega qualifying is 99.9% car, .1% driver

remember, a guy can go from 20th to first and first to 20th in 2 laps

call_me_andrew
25th February 2012, 02:43
I also think this is a fake. They probably gave her some steering assistance, like IndyCar did a few years ago.

1. She did not have steering assistance. She had a variable rate steering rack, which means that there were multiple steering gears with different ratios for different turn radii. But I guess you don't count that as an advatange for Darren Manning who was also using it.

2. Everyone has power steering in NASCAR.

3. It's Daytona! The driver that steers least is usually the fastest.

Is there anything Danica could do that would deserve praise? If she does well, she's called a cheater, but if she does poorly, she's called overhyped.

Alexamateo
25th February 2012, 03:29
Daytona and Talladega qualifying is 99.9% car, .1% driver

remember, a guy can go from 20th to first and first to 20th in 2 laps

Yeah,you're right, :D

Nationwide Pole Winners @ Daytona:

Year....Feb. race.................July Race
2011...Clint Bowyer............Kevin Harvick
2010...Kyle Busch..............Brad Keselowski
2009...Kevin Harvick...........Clint Bowyer

I'm just funnin' with ya. I couldn't resist when I realized that it was Harvick that had won 2 of the last 6 poles in Nationwide @ Daytona. Yes, the car is very important, but you still have to drive it, and others want to win the Pole too, It pays decent money and a little bit of prestige, too.

slorydn1
25th February 2012, 15:10
Its pretty much all car at the restrictor plate tracks. I'm the biggest Harvick fan on here but even I know that he can't qualify worth a damn, never has been able to. So those poles at Daytona showed that the RCR/KHI Nationwide plate package was second to none.
Like Alex said though, all Danica had to do hold the wheel straight and not touch the brake at all. Many drivers have said that they could pull a fan out of the stands and spend 15 minutes with them familarising them with the car and the fan could qualify it about as well as they could. The race, well that is an entirely different matter. I like goin fast as much as anybody here but I really dont believe I could handle 3 wide 10 deep side by side racing I'd take out half the field.
I'm willing to give Danica her due here, well actually the 7 team, they definitely had the fastest car in a single car run :up:

slorydn1
27th February 2012, 20:23
My little brother came up with this interesting stat. There were 79 vehicles that took the green flag of both the truck race and Nationwide race this weekend. 65 of them were involved in crashes of one sort or another. Thats just a little over 82% of the cars/trucks.Wow :eek:

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 00:15
Danica done.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 02:55
This is quite a turn of events. Surely got to be doing damage to the track?

call_me_andrew
28th February 2012, 03:04
If this race can't be restarted, Dave Blaney will win the Daytona 500.

EDIT: Who had King, Buscher, and Blaney in the trifecta?

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 03:20
Anyone know how late they'll let this go on? Since it's already a night race can it continue indefinitely?

call_me_andrew
28th February 2012, 03:22
I'm quite certain they wouldn't bother restarting the race after 2 AM.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 03:29
How many hours away is that? (It's already 3.30 am where I am :P )

call_me_andrew
28th February 2012, 03:46
It's about 3 hours 15 minutes from the time I post this.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 03:53
Damn, long time. Although at least from what they are saying now, seems a restart may be soon.

Alexamateo
28th February 2012, 03:53
Looks like they'll get going in about 30 minutes and radar looks like any rain in the area is dissipating. Too bad for Blaney, I was thinking he might pick up a bizarre race win.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 04:10
Rain?! This race seems to be cursed...

Alexamateo
28th February 2012, 04:12
I may have spoken too soon. They just showed radar

airshifter
28th February 2012, 04:22
As a Montoya fan since his F1 days, I see that his chances of getting the season off to a good start are well....... NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Alexamateo
28th February 2012, 04:23
I may have spoken too soon. They just showed radar

Looks like it broke up, Drivers back to their cars.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2012, 04:54
Hey if this goes on any longer they'll be able to turn the lights off.

Alexamateo
28th February 2012, 06:21
Congrats to Kenseth! I'll say this, Biffle's a company man, he wouldn't pull out and try to pass for anything.

00steven
28th February 2012, 13:10
Pretty boring race really. Glad JPM and the truck driver are okay, that could have been devastating.

harvick#1
28th February 2012, 22:35
it was only boring because Johnson and the Princess crashed on lap 2. poor DW was shell shocked.

but yeah, the race was kinda dull.

excellent thinking by Montoya, hes complaining that the car is vibrating badly, crew sees nothing, still vibrating and going 150 to catch up the back of the field and boom. I see new Caution rules starting this weekend at Phoenix to limit the speed around safety trucks to avoid this disaster again. Montoya was in a safe Steel-rollcage while the driver of the safety truck was just in a normal truck, and there was quite a bit of damage on the driver side door. he was extremely lucky the jet dryer was actually there or else he could've been alot worse as a life or death deal

Bob Riebe
29th February 2012, 02:09
Pretty boring race really. Glad JPM and the truck driver are okay, that could have been devastating.Extremely boring, fortunately here we have Pickers and Pawn Shop which I spent most of the time watching while checking in on the 500 every now and then.

An extremely boring pack of bees droning around and around and around and aroundl

This is the crap fans complained about often, how brilliant to bring it back.

martin026
9th March 2012, 05:30
I know it was somewhat boring due to weather condition, but I was only watching this for Dale Earnest Jr.

martin026
9th March 2012, 05:33
I know it was somewhat boring due to weather condition, but I was only watching this for Dale Earnest Jr.