PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Cheat Knaus Caught Again: 48 Car Fails Inspection

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 21:14
Watching NASCAR Live on Speed. They just reported that the #48's Daytona 500 car has been confiscated by Nascar. The C pillars have been modified in such a way as to circumvent the templates....
Speed already trying to spin this as no harm, no foul. Based on previous examples of COT tampering the #48 should be starting the season in a serious hole. We shall see how all this plays out.

Alexamateo
17th February 2012, 21:51
Well, it's so early, they have time to fix the car, so they won't rule him out of Pole qualifying, but I expect there to be some fines and possibly a suspension. Hey, the last time Chad Knaus was suspended from Daytona, JJ won. :D

slorydn1
17th February 2012, 22:04
Speed is now backtracking a little. The whole car wasn't confiscated, NASCAR made the team cut the C-Pillars off the car and are allowing them to re-skin that area.

call_me_andrew
18th February 2012, 00:30
So to review: Chad Knauss is a villian for how he shaped his C-pillars, and Smokey Yunick is a hero for building a 7/8 scale Chevelle.

slorydn1
18th February 2012, 00:35
So to review: Chad Knauss is a villian for how he shaped his C-pillars, and Smokey Yunick is a hero for building a 7/8 scale Chevelle.

Yep, just about covers it :D

00steven
18th February 2012, 01:03
Chad cheating? Not surprising...

Alexamateo
18th February 2012, 01:28
It's not cheatin', It's creative rules interpretation. :p

Nem14
18th February 2012, 19:54
It's my understanding NASCAR spotted the C-pillars before the car ever actually made it to inspection.

Chad gets paid to push the rules. Not all owners/sponsors grant the kind of latitude Chad is given.

nigelred5
19th February 2012, 01:49
apparently the car fit the templates fine the areas of the c pillars betwen the templates was bubbled up. Isn't that the point of tech inspection on the first day of the first week. my understanding is the body isnt' scrutineered in the pre season tech inspection. What's the sayin? .. If ya 'aint cheatin', ya 'aint tryin'....

Sparky1329
19th February 2012, 06:02
That's what they say all right but that team will certainly be in the hole points-wise even before the green flag waves and a little lighter in the wallet after next Sunday. I'm reading that Mike Helton is not amused. :D

slorydn1
19th February 2012, 18:21
I don't believe points will be taken. This was pre-practice inspection, the car never saw the track in that configuration. I do see some very light wallets, though.
See the issue is going to be that the car fit the template. The inspector "didn't like" what he saw. My first post not withstanding, I miss the days when Nascar just made ya fix it and send ya back through. But they set the precedent way back in 2006 with fines, points, suspensions for pre-race rules infractions, and Knaus is a multiple time offender. Darby already said that Knaus will be fine through the 500, but no one knows what will happen for Vegas, yet.

speedsville
19th February 2012, 23:07
This is his second time major cheat in the 500 they should send him and the car home and that would stop this crud.
By the way Smokey was in a whole different era, everyone was creative back then.

harvick#1
20th February 2012, 00:07
for a repeated offended on countless terms, being suspended countless times, fines dont do anything to Knaus, he has the money, pack the 48 team up and send them home.

much like how teams in the top 35 can fail post-qualifying inspection still allowed to race while a team trying to make the race legally fails to qualify because they werent fast enough

Lee Roy
20th February 2012, 00:31

That's the difference between fans in those days and these new-day fans.

Also has something to do with whether or not they like the driver or team. If it's someone they like, it's called pushing the envelope. If it's someone they don't like, it's cheating.

00steven
21st February 2012, 05:27
That's the difference between fans in those days and these new-day fans.

Also has something to do with whether or not they like the driver or team. If it's someone they like, it's called pushing the envelope. If it's someone they don't like, it's cheating.

This is like the fourth time Chad has been caught doing this. I don't care who it is, four times is a little much.

Sparky1329
29th February 2012, 21:07
I told you guys it was going to be big. Holy yikes!

From Jayski:

•NASCAR suspends Knaus for six weeks; Hendrick to appeal: NASCAR has issued penalties, suspensions and fines to the #48 team in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rules infractions found on Feb. 17 during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500. The #48 car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the rule book or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20-2.1E (if in the judgment of NASCAR officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted -- unapproved car body modifications). As a result, crew chief Chad Knaus and car chief Ron Malec have been suspended from the next six Sprint Cup Series championship events, suspended from NASCAR until April 18 and placed on NASCAR probation until May 9. Additionally, Knaus has been fined $100,000. Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon have been penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.(NASCAR)
AND Hendrick Motorsports will appeal sanctions announced by NASCAR related to the #48 Sprint Cup Series team. "Our organization respects NASCAR and the way the sanctioning body governs our sport," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "In this case, though, the system broke down, and we will voice our concerns through the appeal process." Adjustments to #48 team personnel are not planned while the appeal is ongoing.(Hendrick Motorsports)(2-29-2012)

Alexamateo
29th February 2012, 21:28
I don't see how this can be for the initial inspection of the year on a car that never even saw the track. I know Nascar is within its rights to do it but it seems excessive to me. It will be interesting to see how the appeal works out.

Do you realize that with Jimmie's 42nd place finish, he's now -23 in points :eek:

harvick#1
29th February 2012, 22:21
Nascar should've suspended Knaus for the season, enough is enough with the cheating by this guy

slorydn1
13th March 2012, 23:23
Hendrick to now appeal to John Middlebrook, the National Stock Car Racing Chief Appellate Officer....

National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel Statement - Penalty Upheld: On March 13, 2012, the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel heard and considered the appeal of the #48 Hendrick Motorsports NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team. The penalties concern Section 12-1 of the NASCAR Rule Book "Actions detrimental to stock car racing;" Section 12-4(J): "Any determination by NASCAR Officials that the Race Equipment used in the Event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the NASCAR Rule Book, or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the Event;" and Section 20-2.1(E): "If in the judgment of NASCAR Officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance, will not be permitted: Unapproved car body modifications."
This stemmed from an opening day inspection for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Daytona International Speedway on February 17, 2012.
The original penalties assessed prior to the deferral were:
- Car Owner (Jeffrey M. Gordon) Loss of 25 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Car Owner points;
- Car Driver (Jimmie K. Johnson) Loss of 25 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Driver points;
- Crew Chief (Chad A. Knaus) - $100,000.00 fine. Suspended from the next six (6) NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Events. Suspended from NASCAR until April 18, 2012. Placed on NASCAR probation until May 9, 2012.
- Car Chief (Ron P. Malec) - Suspended from the next six (6) NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Events. Suspended from NASCAR until April 18, 2012. Placed on NASCAR probation until May 9, 2012.
Upon hearing the testimony, carefully reviewing the facts and historically comparative penalties, the unanimous decision of the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel (John Capels, Leo Mehl, Dale Pinilis and Ed Bennett: Appellate Administrator and non-voting member) was to uphold the original penalties assessed by NASCAR. The Appellants have the right under Section 15 of the Rule Book to appeal this decision to the National Stock Car Racing Chief Appellate Officer.(NASCAR)
Hendrick Statement..appeal continues Hendrick Motorsports will request a hearing before the National Stock Car Racing chief appellate officer to continue its appeal of NASCAR sanctions related to the #48 Sprint Cup Series team. "The panel was generous with its time today, and we appreciated the opportunity to talk through our concerns," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "We feel strongly about this issue and will continue to pursue it at the next level." Adjustments to #48 team personnel are not planned while the appeal is ongoing.(HMS)(3-13-2012)

Jayski'sŪ NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page (http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20120313g)

call_me_andrew
14th March 2012, 01:42
Wouldn't it make more sense if the appeals pannel had no connection to NASCAR, automobile racing, or cars in general? What happened to impartiality?

beachbum
14th March 2012, 02:07
Wouldn't it make more sense if the appeals pannel had no connection to NASCAR, automobile racing, or cars in general? What happened to impartiality?
You are talking about NASCAR. Impartiality is not in their vocabulary.

MD24
20th March 2012, 20:38
Penalties rescinded on Knaus, No. 48 team - Mar 20, 2012 - NASCAR.COM (http://www.nascar.com/news/120320/cknaus-jjohnson-penalties-rescinded/index.html)

00steven
21st March 2012, 00:03
Apparently Chad can get away with whatever he wants.

beachbum
21st March 2012, 10:31
Apparently, NASCAR can't use the "eyeball" measuring system and make up rules on the fly.

Lee Roy
26th March 2012, 04:59
As my friend Racewriter said on another forum:

Knaus shouldn't get a slap on the wrist. There should be no penalty. This happened in PRE PRACTICE inspection. The car complied with the letter of the rules, NASCAR made a judgment call that they didn't like the C-pillars. Nobody was harmed or cheated since the car hadn't turned a single lap. This is one where NASCAR should have simply told them to fix it and moved forward, no harm, no foul.

With which I agree wholeheartedly.

Sparky1329
27th March 2012, 04:37
As my friend Racewriter said on another forum:

With which I agree wholeheartedly.

I've always thought the penalties for pre-race infractions were ridiculous. If the car never hit the track before corrections were done what damage was there? None that I can see. It's been a revnue generator for NASCAR.