PDA

View Full Version : Heat races for qualification at Iowa

numanoid
14th February 2012, 19:53
""Practice sessions will take on an entirely new dimension at IZOD IndyCar Series oval event June 22 at Iowa Speedway. That's when heat races will replace single-car qualifications to set the starting grid for the Iowa Corn Indy 250.

INDYCAR, the sanctioning body of the IZOD IndyCar Series, announced that three heat races of 30 laps each would follow practice earlier in the day. Three groups would be determined by practice times: One group for the top 10 that would set starting positions 1-10, another for odd-numbered practice positions that would set starting positions 11, 13, 15, etc., and a third for even-numbered practice positions that would set starting positions 12, 14, 16, etc.

Beaux Barfield, INDYCAR President of Competition and the IZOD IndyCar Series Race Director, also said that double-file restarts will remain part of races except at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Auto Club Speedway (the high-speed ovals on the 16-race schedule). He also noted that standing starts could be implemented at a few events later in the season.

"I've spent the past five weeks writing rules and I have to write a lot more rules for standing starts," Barfield said. "There's a lot of equipment necessary to get and put into place, and most importantly there's so much development going on with the teams and the cars that I want to be respectful of before I throw a lot of new things at them."

The new oval qualifying procedure will complement the three rounds of qualifications held on road/street courses, culminating in the exciting Firestone Fast Six.

"In the same vein of implementing double-file restarts, we looked at heat races as something that could add excitement to our races and just improve the product," said Barfield, who added that 2013 oval events could be a mix of heat races and sigle-car qualifications. "This is the first of a few concepts we're considering. The build-up we presently have for the Firestone Fast Six has that excitement and we wanted to do something similar for the oval events."

The season finale Sept. 15 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., is the only oval event to follow Iowa Speedway on the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series schedule and will continue with single-car qualifications with cumulative time of two timed laps setting the grid. Also, single-car qualifications will continue to set the starting grid at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and the Milwaukee Mile. Qualifications for the Indianapolis 500 are four timed laps.

FIAT1
14th February 2012, 20:06
Heat races ,I think could work, and should be interesting. Not bad idea. Standing starts for some tracks only would be ok.

heliocastroneves#3
14th February 2012, 20:14
Some idea's which might become true (and which are already true..):

- Standing starts on the permanent road courses
- Double file (re)starts on the street courses/short ovals
- Single file (re)starts on ovals 1,3 m. and longer
- Heat race qualifications on short ovals

The standing starts for this year could follow at Mid-Ohio, and maybe Sonoma? I may assume this will be done for every road course in the future? Because I didn't read it was on the planning to have at every road course a standing start, so that's why I came with the idea of doing only standing starts on the permanent road courses. I rule out to see this on the ovals, but it would be great to see that once happen anyway.

This heat race qualifying method is great, but maybe we'll see it in the future on every short oval?

I'm very curious how this will end. I'm looking forward to every IndyCar race, but after the great race of last year the Iowa race might be one of my favorites... And now with this qualification format, I truly can't wait. IndyCar is getting better day by day it looks like right now. :)

I'm very happy they bought back the single file (re)starts on the fast ovals anyway.

Maybe I can have a talk with my boss, because I'm already thinking about it to go to the Iowa race..... I would love to see this all happen in front of my nose. :)

Anubis
14th February 2012, 23:25
Interesting idea that I quite like the sound of.

Thing I'd really like to see would be a double header oval/road course race, but I guess that's rather limited given there can't be many tracks that could do it. Indy is the obvious one, but anywhere else capable?

numanoid
15th February 2012, 01:56
Interesting idea that I quite like the sound of.

Thing I'd really like to see would be a double header oval/road course race, but I guess that's rather limited given there can't be many tracks that could do it. Indy is the obvious one, but anywhere else capable?

Motegi is the first one that comes to mind.

00steven
15th February 2012, 06:13
Standing starts at road races and the Iowa quals both seem like great ideas!

+1 to the new BB and the Cowboy!

nigelred5
15th February 2012, 13:04
Homestead, Fontana, Lausitzring ;)

Now that Daytona has been repaved, they could shoot for a land speed record on the oval, then run the 24 hr course.

DanicaFan
15th February 2012, 13:42
The only thing that concerns me about Iowa is that they say no car will not qualify, every car will race. So, if we have a high car count, most likely 27-30 cars. They set a rule stating that no more than 26 cars can start on an oval, minus Indy. So they must of thrown this rule out or are just bypassing it. This many cars on a mile track, 7/8 of a mile to be exact could get ugly.

I hope we dont see another Bernard gimmick go bad.

DBell
15th February 2012, 14:33
I like the idea of trying heat races. Much better idea than the wheel of fortune idea tried last year in Texas. Standing starts on road courses? I think the new BB is trying to work his way into my good graces. :D I like how he's starting off. Keep it up and we might have real racing this year instead of choreography from Race Control.

DBell
15th February 2012, 14:47
The only thing that concerns me about Iowa is that they say no car will not qualify, every car will race. So, if we have a high car count, most likely 27-30 cars. They set a rule stating that no more than 26 cars can start on an oval, minus Indy. So they must of thrown this rule out or are just bypassing it. This many cars on a mile track, 7/8 of a mile to be exact could get ugly.

I hope we dont see another Bernard gimmick go bad.

I think you have a good point. They need to look at making a list of how many starting spots each track will have for it's race. 30 is a lot of cars on a less than 1 mile track. If they have more entries than starting spots at Iowa, they could have a pre-qualifying heat race with the top 2 or 4 able to move to the qualifying heat races. Say the field is capped at 26 spots. The top 22 in points would automatically be in the qualifying heat races. Say there are 8 cars left, then they race in the pre-qualifying race with the top 4 moving on to qualifying. I like this better than 30+ cars on track at Iowa.

FIAT1
15th February 2012, 15:20
Wouldn't it be nice to have that dilema. 30 cars!

call_me_andrew
18th February 2012, 00:33
Who decided single-file restarts are so much better for ovals and how soon can we send him back to Planet Opposite?