PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into rallying...

badoof
14th February 2012, 18:31
Always had an interest in rallying, but never actually done anything about getting into doing it. Recently, I've been looking into it more and more and I'm desperately eager to get started. I'm a 17 y/o female, and I'm staying near Knockhill racecourse, so it's fairly plausible for me to get started.
I've got a full UK driving licence, not that it's needed for off road stuff, and I do have my own car, but it's definitely not rally spec.

I'm just wondering what would be the best way to get started, I don't really know a way of getting into this sort of thing, but I'm open to hints and tips.
Cheers!
Lauren.

A FONDO
14th February 2012, 19:54
it all depends on the money you can spend on that

MrJan
14th February 2012, 20:26
Try looking at the MSA website Rallying, Go Motorsport, Ambassadors, Go Drive (http://www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/godrive/rallying.html) for the basics :)

It's quite involved to get started in stage rallying, for a start you have to do a course to get your license (most motorpsort in the UK is covered by the Motor Sports Association (MSA) and requires a license). You'll also need a co-driver and lots of money. When it comes to buying a car then Pistonheads or racecarsdirect.com have quite good, if a little out of date, classifieds sections. Once you have that then eBay is a good way to keep costs down on the safety clothes, although make sure it's all in date. It's also worth springing a bit extra to get a new helmet (as someone said when I bought mine "you only have one head").

Before you splash out on all of that though join a local motorclub (the MSA website should have a list of clubs near you) and talk to people that are involved. Get along to events as a spectator, try marshalling etc. just to get a bit more involved in the sport.

It may also be worth considering road rallying. It's a much cheaper approach and is held on open roads, rather than closed stages. Again it's best to join a motor club to get started, also remember that some motor clubs concentrate more on one area of motor sport more than others. For example my club, Torbay Motor Club, are more aimed towards sprinting and hillclimbing, while another local club in Exmouth do more road rallies :)

In short gomotorsport.net and a local motor club should probably be the first things you look at :up:

Fly_Half
15th February 2012, 15:56
Good advice from MrJan there. I'd also point you in the direction of www.britishrally.co.uk (http://www.britishrally.co.uk) which is more active than this section on here. This question has been asked countless times on there and there's plenty willing to help you.

Rhod

badoof
15th February 2012, 18:07
Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely be taking a look at those websites, and I'll look at getting into a club, too!
It would be so amazing to get into this, so I really appreciate the info! Cheers!

MrJan
16th February 2012, 12:37
No worries. If you find rallying too expensive then have a look at sprinting/hillclimbing, it's a great way to go motor racing at a (relatively) low cost. If you have a road car with an MOT then you pretty much just need to get the safety gear, check that the tyres are allowed and then pay your entry fees :up:

badoof
16th February 2012, 18:07
Yeah, I've got a road car with MOT, so I'll have a look into that, probably be easier on the money front for me, then maybe creep into rallying. Thanks for the info! More info here than I've been able to find anywhere else, much appreciated.

Darren Jones
20th February 2012, 12:31
I've used my rally car as a road car from time to time to save cost but isnt ideal! ecspecially if like me the car is missing wheels ect after events, isnt very convenient when your "road car" is in some trees in the forrests!

If you want a rough idea of what a cheap rally car build is I can PM you

badoof
22nd February 2012, 18:11
Oh please, I'll take all the help I can get! Cheers!