PDA

View Full Version : The MILE is back

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2012, 10:09
Great news for Indy Car and ovals fans. Great to hear the Mile is back. Milwaukee that is.

Should and try and put the race one week after the 500 like it always used to be. Indy Car needs to keep tracks witha history, they may go through bad times but stick with it and fans will come back as the heritage of the event grows. I would be tempted to Go to the 500 and sty in the US for the mile if it were possible.

Jared East
11th February 2012, 18:57
Great News !

hondacom
11th February 2012, 19:51
Good news ! My favorite oval.

Jag_Warrior
11th February 2012, 21:03
Glancing over the forums from the front page, the title to this thread looked like "The MILF is back".

And yes, this is why I now wear glasses. That helps with my vision. As for my dirty mind, they haven't found a cure for that yet. But they're looking!

00steven
12th February 2012, 01:05
Great to see Indycar return, lets hope less drama next year when scheduling the race.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th February 2012, 10:33
Kudos to Michael Andretti. Apart from fielding three strong entries, he's saving Milwaukee, he's promoting IndyCar on TV shows - he's one of the best (if not the best) owner IndyCar has.

heliocastroneves#3
12th February 2012, 11:57
I never really liked Michael Andretti, but he's doing such an awesome job in those days! I'll give him much kudos, the man is doing an awesome job as I already said. IndyCar needs more owners like him. :)

FIAT1
12th February 2012, 20:07
Thanks Michael and best of luck ,I will be there Friday and Saturday with my group, but Indycar has p..... ... a lot of fans with on and off bs, including date change, and will take more then few years to build it back. Damage that was done takes time to repair.

garyshell
12th February 2012, 22:12
Thanks Michael and best of luck ,I will be there Friday and Saturday with my group, but Indycar has p..... ... a lot of fans with on and off bs, including date change, and will take more then few years to build it back. Damage that was done takes time to repair.

"Indycar has p..... ... a lot of fans" or the promoters have? I realize in the end the result is the same. But I actually think most of the blame lies with the revovling door of promoters. And yes, before some one jumps in, the series did have a hand in some of this mess, but to me much less than the promoters.

Gary

FIAT1
29th February 2012, 15:13
Want more ovals? Ticket sales and press conference on Thursday March 1 . Well... rest is up to you, I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

numanoid
29th February 2012, 16:47
Presales are available today at 11 CST. Not that there will be any sellout or anything.

FIAT1
1st March 2012, 18:19
Friday free for practice and qualifying. Paid 20 bucks last time and that was little bit much, but I think they should charge something. Then again I'm not bitching.

numanoid
1st March 2012, 18:29
Friday free for practice and qualifying. Paid 20 bucks last time and that was little bit much, but I think they should charge something. Then again I'm not bitching.

The ticket purchase app they are using is pretty nice, You can see available seats and pick them up. This also allows us to take a look at how many tickets are being sold if you look closely enough. The 410 section, start/finish line "best" seats were more than half sold before they went on sale to the general public.

FIAT1
2nd March 2012, 12:37
Me and my posse like to be close to the track in turn 1 close to pit exit for the race ,as we don't want to miss smell of the beast. I'm looking so forward to this.

heliocastroneves#3
2nd March 2012, 20:56
I would like to go, but for me that's not so easy as I live outside the U.S. and already have planned holidays for another period. I might go to Auto Club Speedway anyway. :)

turbofan
2nd March 2012, 23:22
Taking my Texas money to Milwaukee, already ordered the tickets. I'm tired of him running down the series. I'm feeling better already.

numanoid
3rd March 2012, 00:13
Taking my Texas money to Milwaukee, already ordered the tickets. I'm tired of him running down the series. I'm feeling better already.

What Indycar drama is he talking about?

heliocastroneves#3
3rd March 2012, 11:13
I guess it's about this tweet from Eddie Gossage: "No drama. RT @nateryan: @eddiegossage You're one! (Note: I declined the opportunity to make a snarky crack here about the IndyCar drama.)"

I still would love to go to Texas, I simply like that 1,5 mile oval... But I like the superb fast Auto Club Speedway too. :cool: I think I'm going to order tickets for the season finale at Auto Club Speedway, to go there with my girlfriend, who's a Castroneves fan as well by the way. :)

garyshell
3rd March 2012, 18:24
From Racer Magazine:

On an unrelated note to the test postponement, TMS track president Eddie Gossage (ABOVE) was in the news Friday anyway after making some comments disparaging the drivers, regarding recent talk of a potential boycott of the Texas race. In a RacinToday.com article (http://www.racintoday.com/archives/33494), Gossage said of IndyCar drivers, “They just keep shooting themselves in the foot and I don't understand it.”

Gossage claimed the drivers felt the need to “consistently damage the sport,” and that the drivers, as spokespersons, “are tearing it down.”

The track's posts are inside the catch fencing, same as at the sister Speedway Motorsports Inc. track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The debate of whether the fencing at Texas need be changed has been a hot-button topic this off-season.To Eddie Gossage,

You know what Eddie, you don't drive the cars so shut the **** up. What possible benefit would the drivers have in an effort to “consistently damage the sport,”? Of course they are concerned that the fence poles are on the INSIDE of the catch fence. You, Mr. Gossage are only worried about the cost to fix that and are trying to divert the conversation to the drivers instead of your concern with YOUR bottom line over the safety of the drivers.

Gary

FIAT1
3rd March 2012, 18:35
That track is not build for Indycar and they should stay away from those type a tracks and people like Gossage who cares only for his interest. I aplaude drivers and Indycar for looking in to the matter.

heliocastroneves#3
3rd March 2012, 22:01
That's complete nonsence; IndyCar already runs there since 1997, and they had two races every year there from 1998 until 2004 and there never has been a fatal accident. Davey Hamilton's accident in 2001 has been the only heavy accident there so far if I'm right. Just because of the tragedy which happened at Vegas, doesn't mean we just have to stay away from every 1,5 mile high banked oval. With saying that; Texas is a little different to Vegas.

About changing the catch fence; It would be great if that happens.... But if it doesn't; They already race there since 1997 and nothing wrong has happened, of course when they raced on Vegas from 1996 until 2000 nothing wrong happened there as well, I know..... But I don't think it's neccesery to call every 1,5 mile high banked oval unsuitable for IndyCar, just because of what happened in Vegas. Dan Wheldon was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the huge starting grid might have had some influences as well. I have seen enough pack racing in the past like it was in Vegas, and nothing wrong happened then...

Racing has it's risks, they don't understand that in Formula One, but I hope they will keep understanding that in IndyCar. If they don't want to race at Texas, then go to Kentucky or Chicagoland.... Also 1,5 mile ovals but with less banking, and especially the last one always brought some great IndyCar racing.

Phoenixent
4th March 2012, 04:30
That's complete nonsence; IndyCar already runs there since 1997, and they had two races every year there from 1998 until 2004 and there never has been a fatal accident. Davey Hamilton's accident in 2001 has been the only heavy accident there so far if I'm right. Just because of the tragedy which happened at Vegas, doesn't mean we just have to stay away from every 1,5 mile high banked oval. With saying that; Texas is a little different to Vegas. Kenny Bräck's crash at Texas in 2003 was as close to a fatal wreck as can happen without it being fatal.

About changing the catch fence; It would be great if that happens.... But if it doesn't; They already race there since 1997 and nothing wrong has happened, of course when they raced on Vegas from 1996 until 2000 nothing wrong happened there as well, I know..... But I don't think it's neccesery to call every 1,5 mile high banked oval unsuitable for IndyCar, just because of what happened in Vegas. Dan Wheldon was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the huge starting grid might have had some influences as well. I have seen enough pack racing in the past like it was in Vegas, and nothing wrong happened then... In Kenny Bräck's crash at Texas in 2003 a big part of the severity was attributed to the fence design but that was swept under the table by those in charge.

Racing has it's risks, they don't understand that in Formula One, but I hope they will keep understanding that in IndyCar. If they don't want to race at Texas, then go to Kentucky or Chicagoland.... Also 1,5 mile ovals but with less banking, and especially the last one always brought some great IndyCar racing. Formula One understands the ricks more than any sport as one dark weekend in 1992 they lost two drivers with another so shaken up in a crash that he did not race and then almost lost another the following weekend. The show must go on as they say but if it was here in the states in Indycar today and they lost two drives the fans would want the whole season canceled. F1 has figured out by trial and error how to minimize the risks and a drivers union keeps up the pressure to keep improving on safety.

FIAT1
4th March 2012, 17:06
High banked ovals are not build for Indycars, they are build for nascar and pack racing is boring and unsafe.We have great track on schedule again where skill matters, MILWAUKEE!!! Road America should be next.

booger
4th March 2012, 20:58
Eddie Gossage sure likes to see his name and ugly mug in the papers and tv. He should go back to the hole he crawled out of and stay there. And to think he was one of the "kingpins" that is responsible for the abomination of the new car? Geesh!

numanoid
4th March 2012, 21:09
High banked ovals are not build for Indycars, they are build for nascar and pack racing is boring and unsafe.We have great track on schedule again where skill matters, MILWAUKEE!!! Road America should be next.

How about Phoenix? Short track with low banking.

FIAT1
5th March 2012, 01:12
How about Phoenix? Short track with low banking.

Phoenix and Michigan would be great. I don't see a point racing on high banked ovals where they go oround for two hrs next to each other just for someone to scream three wide on tv. Big deal. I could watch exspresway traffic from local oasis having my favorite coffe and have same boring thing live and free. Donn't take me wrong obout ovals, I just don't see a need for nascar type pack mary go oround. I believe that two mile and one mile tracks are best for this type a cars. Road America would be great as it is best road track in this country and would be nice to see them with ALMS on the same weekend.

00steven
5th March 2012, 05:32

Gossage can kiss my ***. If he has a problem with Indycar he can tell us to get or just shut his mouth.

I have a feeling the cowboy's gonna give him a call...

nigelred5
6th March 2012, 16:38
I'd love to see ICS at Phoenix, but it's hot, Death Valley type Hot in Phoenix at any realistic time you avoid NASCAR's two dates. I'm not aware of any other major racing events that go on at the track between April and november. when would ICS race there. PIR won't jeopardize NASCAR ticket sales for the spring or summer races.

numanoid
6th March 2012, 16:52
I'd love to see ICS at Phoenix, but it's hot, Death Valley type Hot in Phoenix at any realistic time you avoid NASCAR's two dates. I'm not aware of any other major racing events that go on at the track between April and november. when would ICS race there. PIR won't jeopardize NASCAR ticket sales for the spring or summer races.

NASCAR raced there last week, so the schedule would be open for a spring opener. Comparing average/high/low temps between St. Pete and Phoenix in the month of April shows they are nearly on par with each other.

MAX_THRUST
6th March 2012, 16:59
Early 90s CART ran at Phoenix in the early part of the season after the Australia race when that was the season opener...A flat oval as in banking would be better for Indy Cars as opposesd to the flat out speed bankned ovals I agree.

FIAT1
8th March 2012, 14:41
I was complaining obout lack of promotion , but I heard and read more obout Milwaukee race in last three weeks than in last three years combined. Good news!!!

numanoid
9th March 2012, 16:38
I was complaining obout lack of promotion , but I heard and read more obout Milwaukee race in last three weeks than in last three years combined. Good news!!!

Yeah, I think they are going to be promoting this well. I heard they will be promoting in Indianapolis as well and offer busing to the race in Milwaukee.

Pat Wiatrowski
9th March 2012, 21:03
Yeah, I think they are going to be promoting this well. I heard they will be promoting in Indianapolis as well and offer busing to the race in Milwaukee.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. They should try promoting in Wisconsin. I haven't heard and thing here and don't expect to.

numanoid
9th March 2012, 22:39

Are you from WI?

FIAT1
10th March 2012, 14:43
Are you from WI?

No, I'm from Chicago and I think they want to give a special treatment to us in IL. What I'm saying is, I have heard on radio,tv and local papers more obut a saved race this year, then any promotion for the race years before . Indyfest promotion did not start at this point, therfore my WI frends I think this year race will be fine and is up to us and our frends to make sure it comes back.