PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Signs

Hazell B
24th March 2007, 19:02
You know the ones, they flash either 'SLOW DOWN 30 LIMIT' or actually show your speed as you drive past them.

Two new ones have just been put up near me, one outside my stable yard's entrance, on sections of road that really do see some terrible speeding. I'm glad they've appeared as I like the idea of them. Thing is, they're not working yet and have no solar pannels on the tops.

Are they mainly electric or solar country-wide? Or am I just being impatient and the two near me are simply awaiting solar pannels?

RaikkonenRules
24th March 2007, 19:43
There's a few near me that have solar panals on the top. Don't know if they all do though.

Dave B
26th March 2007, 11:19
Most of them use solar to top up batteries but are connected to the mains in case of prolonged poor sunlight.

We used to have one round here which flashed up your actual speed, but the damned thing only had two digits ;) :p

janneppi
26th March 2007, 13:09
We have some here too, they won't show your speed if you are going over the limit, it seems some people used them for making speed records. :)

Plato 4 Title
31st March 2007, 09:10
it seems some people used them for making speed records. :)

Not that i would no anything about that! lol. On a serious note ive found if you travel to fast through them then it flashes for the person behind you to slow down and also the ones which tell you how fast you are going only go up to 99mph which is dissapointing!

Gurl Racer
31st March 2007, 14:21
We've had these in NZ for ages... they particulary use them around schools now, if we do over the limit it flashes "SLOW DOWN NOW" - Sorry officer, I had a sneezing attack and my foot slipped on the accelerator :D

Caroline
31st March 2007, 14:39
Are they mainly electric or solar country-wide? Or am I just being impatient and the two near me are simply awaiting solar pannels?

The one at the entry to our village seems to be mains powered. Most flashing signs do seem to have a panel and a wee turbine though.

Mark
2nd April 2007, 08:04
There is a flashing sign on the entrance to the A74 works just saying "SLOW DOWN", even if there is nobody there :p

sonic_roadhog
2nd April 2007, 21:05
I like the ones that have a smiling face when your a good boy and under the limit.

Quattroporte
3rd April 2007, 05:17
We've had these in NZ for ages... they particulary use them around schools now, if we do over the limit it flashes "SLOW DOWN NOW" - Sorry officer, I had a sneezing attack and my foot slipped on the accelerator :D

Didn't realise you were kiwi!

What I love is that you KNOW there aren't any radar traps or speed cameras around if you see one... ;p