PDA

View Full Version : Do we enjoy conspiracy too much?

Hazell B
9th December 2006, 17:00
Today there's much talk on the BBC about the death of Princess Diana and the 'was he, wasn't he?' drink drive theories on her driver.

I'm not asking if there is/was a conspiracy, but what I'd like to know is would we rather find out that there was or wasn't when the truth comes out?

Would we like the moon landings, 9/11, JFK's death and all the others to really be huge stories made up and messed with, or just plain truths as we were told them? Thousands of small conspiracy theories have proved to be correct, thousands plain rubbish. I remember many years ago a tabloid saying Rock Hudson was gay and it being shot down by 'serious' newspapers. They don't look so clever now, do they? :p :

Are we, as humans, looking for conspiracy for the thrill of the chase, or because it really exists?

I guess part of what I'm asking is - why do we instantly believe the media's side most of the time when we have no proof either way?

Dave B
9th December 2006, 17:54
But without Diana conspiracy theories, what would the Daily Express have to talk about? :s

A lot of the theories come down to the public's inherant distrust of authority, especially certain governments, and that makes it easier to belive that they're involved in some sort of cover-up.

But seldom does any evidence stack up. Google for the 9/11 conspiracy websites - they're pathetic. "Grasping at straws" doesn't begin to cover it.

I think it's great that people question what they're being told and don't just accept everything at face value. But there comes a point where you have to accept the fact that sometimes people die due to drunk drivers, planes can be hijacked by terrorist organisations and flown into buildings, and that JFK was murdered by a fanatic.

Oh, and man really did land on the moon. Just ask Elvis...

Hazell B
9th December 2006, 18:14
Oh, and man really did land on the moon. Just ask Elvis...

Those are the two that got me wondering, as it happens.

I used to want to believe the moon landing was faked. Now I've read some more and learned a bit, I can equally believe it wasn't. In short, I don't know and would sway towards it being real if forced to decide. But I still want it to be a faked set of photos from Hollywood and the proof to come out soon.

Elvis is the other end of my thoughts on this sort of thing. No matter how many times his fans see a family member of their own keel over from heart clogging problems, they won't believe Elvis did. They think he's still alive for absolutely no good reason :mark: When that one's disproved (you can't prove he's dead, they won't believe you!) they'll still claim Elvis has avoided the media and just moved house again.

Eki
9th December 2006, 18:17
It's just a government conspiracy to make us believe we enjoy conspiracy too much.

BeansBeansBeans
9th December 2006, 18:22
Craziest Conspiracy Theory Ever - http://www.dianamystery.com/

According to this chap, the death of Princess Diana was foretold by Morrissey in the music of The Smiths.

Bonkers, but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

viper_man
9th December 2006, 18:27
Yeah apparently the French proved this week that Dianas driver Henri Paul was 3 times over the French limit and the accident occured due to him being drunk. But only 42% or something said that they beleived this and the rest said they still arent sure or are sure that it was a consipiracy.

In reply to the thread title I think we enjoy conspiracy far too much. There seems to be a conspiracy for every major event in human history, Diana, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Roswell, the Moon landing etc. Of course there may well be some elements of consipiracy or hiding the truth in many events but that doesnt mean its a huge conspiracy, certainly not as much as people probably like to think. Its possibly more a case of the powers that be protecting us from stuff we just dont need to know about.

Human nature is very impressionable at best, and we live in such a world that most people would pick up a tabloid with the headline "Diana murdered by secret agency - huge conspiracy cover up!" as opposed to "Princess Diana dies in car crash". It probably just seems more interesting to some people to entertain these ideas and chase 'hidden truths' to make their own lives more exciting, rather than accepting that sometimes people are capable of telling the truth.

Im not saying I dont beleive in any conspiracy, theres definately been a few things that dont add up in certain events, but one day the truth will out.

Ian McC
9th December 2006, 19:05
Seems to me the death of JFK started it, some people seem to make a living of these things.

Powered by Cosworth
9th December 2006, 19:28
It's just the thought of thinking there is something different to what we are told by the official sources, and it's brilliant :D

But Elvis is dead. Sorry folks.

nik
9th December 2006, 19:35
If Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon, what about the cameraman that filmed it!?

Eki
10th December 2006, 11:16
I have a new theory of what happened to Di. She had a fling with George W Bush and Putin got jealous and killed her.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1968664,00.html

"US bugged Diana's phone on night of death crash

Mark Townsend and Peter Allen in Paris
Sunday December 10, 2006
The Observer

The American secret service was bugging Princess Diana's telephone conversations without the approval of the British security services on the night she died, according to the most comprehensive report on her death, to be published this week.

Among extraordinary details due to emerge in the report by former Metropolitan police commissioner Lord Stevens is the revelation that the US security service was bugging her calls in the hours before she was killed in a car crash in Paris."

oily oaf
10th December 2006, 11:56
I conspired to remain sober at a recent family wedding.
Unfortunately I fell some considerable way short of my goal and ended up being quite severly beaten by Mrs Oaf when she discovered me having a slash in the wardrobe at 2.30 in the morning.
I hope this helps
(takes up position on stairs and fixes eyes on letterbox anticipating the imminent arrival of £5.00 postal order)

fandango
10th December 2006, 18:08
I think we do all enjoy a good conspiracy theory. It's good to be suspicious of what you hear and read.

9/11: I think the terrorists were just very, very lucky that their plan, for the most part, came off. However, the one that didn't make its target, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to have been shot down.

JFK: A conspiracy by definition. By JFK's movements, and by the police officers' testimony I believe it wasn't a lone gunman, but who knows how far the plan went?

Elvis: He's definitely dead. I know because he used to work renting out deck chairs on the beach here, and he told me.

Daniel
10th December 2006, 20:46
Good thread Hazell. I tend to believe that **** happens and people should get the **** over it :)

donKey jote
10th December 2006, 21:25
I think we do all enjoy a good conspiracy theory. It's good to be suspicious of what you hear and read.

9/11: I think the terrorists were just very, very lucky that their plan, for the most part, came off. However, the one that didn't make its target, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to have been shot down.

3/11: it was ETA ! :eek: :dozey:

BDunnell
11th December 2006, 10:40
I think that conspiracy theories are unavoidable. I also think that they can be immensely funny. The Diana coverage in the Express is hilarious.

Daniel
11th December 2006, 11:29
Very true :)

There's Ivan's obsession with that 9/11 video which shows that building collapsing as well :)

555-04Q2
11th December 2006, 11:31
Today there's much talk on the BBC about the death of Princess Diana and the 'was he, wasn't he?' drink drive theories on her driver.

I'm not asking if there is/was a conspiracy, but what I'd like to know is would we rather find out that there was or wasn't when the truth comes out?

Would we like the moon landings, 9/11, JFK's death and all the others to really be huge stories made up and messed with, or just plain truths as we were told them? Thousands of small conspiracy theories have proved to be correct, thousands plain rubbish. I remember many years ago a tabloid saying Rock Hudson was gay and it being shot down by 'serious' newspapers. They don't look so clever now, do they? :p :

Are we, as humans, looking for conspiracy for the thrill of the chase, or because it really exists?

I guess part of what I'm asking is - why do we instantly believe the media's side most of the time when we have no proof either way?

1. It sells newspapers ;)
2. We are a funny lot, humans :(
3. We are always wanting more than there actually is :down:

wacked
11th December 2006, 20:34
its not that we enjoy conspiracy.. its just that we want it, and we want a reason for everything.. we never want to believe things can be that simple.. there is always something about it, that is hidden.. not told to us..

for newspapers yeah its just to sell, for us its somethin interesting to read and then wonder wat the truth is.. without it we cant be satisfied..

courageous
12th December 2006, 19:50
But without Diana conspiracy theories, what would the Daily Express have to talk about? :s ...

Don't be silly - there is still the sudden crash of house prices that will lead to higher cancer rates (and of course the flood of immigrants - Hurrah for the blackshirts!)

[Serious post]
I think the main reason why we love conspiricy theories is a legacy from the cold war.
[/Serious post]

Caroline
12th December 2006, 19:54
I think that conspiracy theories are unavoidable. I also think that they can be immensely funny. The Diana coverage in the Express is hilarious.

Actually, the whole of the Daily Express is hilarious. Except the comic strips.

Dave B
12th December 2006, 20:41
Do they still have Calvin & Hobbes? My mum, gawd rest her little racist soul, used to buy the Express and that was the only thing I liked about it.

Hazell B
12th December 2006, 21:47
I used to get it delivered to a pub I worked in, just for the crossword and sport quiz. Then it became dire, utter pants.

Bought it maybe six times in the past six years - for the crossword on a long journey :p :