PDA

View Full Version : Plato and Neate confirmed to drive MGs

Captain VXR
25th January 2012, 08:23
Brilliant news to have MG back
BTCC :: Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship (http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2807&month=0&year=2012&form&searchterm)

Robinho
25th January 2012, 10:47
I honestly did not believe this particular rumour, but pleased to be wrong, some interesting variety added

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Iain
25th January 2012, 12:32
Hmm......an opporchancity to flog all my old MG bits and bobs :p

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

wedge
25th January 2012, 13:24
Yay, a saloon/coupe styled hatchback and not a generic hatchback!

Robinho
25th January 2012, 14:20
it can't do anything but raise the profile of the brand back in the UK again, honestly, who here has actually seen one of these MG6's on the orads, despite the apparently favourable reviews i've read

whosyo
25th January 2012, 14:33
No way..

whosyo
25th January 2012, 14:39
I can't understand why plato decided to drive chinese car

wedge
25th January 2012, 14:50
it can't do anything but raise the profile of the brand back in the UK again, honestly, who here has actually seen one of these MG6's on the orads, despite the apparently favourable reviews i've read

I thought this was going to be officially released this year! I don't even remember a PR offensive let alone spotting one on the road!

Robinho
25th January 2012, 17:13
i've seen it reviewed in Evo and autocar i think, although that is the saloon model, i believe the GT is new to the market and includes a diesel option which was lacking from the initial launch, but still, any version of an MG6? anyone? no, didn't think so

Allyc85
25th January 2012, 17:51
Brilliant for the BTCC to have MG back and as a factory team! I just hope Andy can raise his game a bit... I mean a lot!

Not sure about the livery, but I guess you wont be able to miss it!

VkmSpouge
25th January 2012, 18:32
It is excellent news to have MG back in the championship.

inimitablestoo
25th January 2012, 19:13
It did sound a bit like a British Touring Car Random Team Generator, especially with Triple 8 involved. Still, some welcome variety and the 6 is a nice looking car, whatever the reviews say (after all, road tests haven't been that kind to the Cruze. Or the new Civic...).

Chinese car? Maybe, but the Chevrolets were basically Daewoos (yes, even the Cruze) and they worked well enough as touring cars. Bottom line: a decent team, with the right driver(s), can turn almost anything into a good racing car. That colour scheme looks like it's not going to be easy to miss either...

christophulus
25th January 2012, 19:42
Wow, good news, glad to see MG back (even though it's not really MG).

Hate the livery though!

Odie Stracs
25th January 2012, 21:08
Is that the confirmed livery?? Either way you look at it the team looks strong..expect them to be off the pace maybe for the first few meetings but its a three year programme so a bit of stability for the series. Couldnt imagine BTCC without 888!!

Captain VXR
25th January 2012, 21:46

I saw one a few months back

Robinho
26th January 2012, 10:36
It did sound a bit like a British Touring Car Random Team Generator, especially with Triple 8 involved. Still, some welcome variety and the 6 is a nice looking car, whatever the reviews say (after all, road tests haven't been that kind to the Cruze. Or the new Civic...).

Chinese car? Maybe, but the Chevrolets were basically Daewoos (yes, even the Cruze) and they worked well enough as touring cars. Bottom line: a decent team, with the right driver(s), can turn almost anything into a good racing car. That colour scheme looks like it's not going to be easy to miss either...

The road test I read was very favourable, good handling, comfortable, well put togther, cheap, just not the most powerful (or frugal) petrol engine was a down side, along with no diesel option at the time

wedge
26th January 2012, 13:25
just not the most powerful (or frugal) petrol engine was a down side, along with no diesel option at the time

That'll be why they're so rare.

RMLCruzeing82
26th January 2012, 22:50
I thought the same as most people did. chinese owned = going to be a bad car but owning the MG ZS 180 as my daily run around i hat to try the MG6 just to see how bad it was and shockingly it wasnt bad at all.

I now own a MG6 Magnette saloon in silver and After owning it for the past 3months, i have to say, its a really nice car to drive. Don't believe everything you read. the 1.8i Engine is a very quick and a gutsy engine(133bhp) good for 0-60 in 8.4. you put your foot down and off it goes. its a smooth cruiser as well, which is great for motorway driving, one of the reasons i bought it and i had a 05 BMW 318i for my business car (Which the MG6 replaced). so now im a proud owner of the classic zs180 and now the modern and adorable MG6.

Wasted Talent
27th January 2012, 16:39
Wow!!!

Big surprise and excellent news, as with a top driver and a top team we can be sure that this will be a serious attempt to win the championship. Just what the BTCC needs

WT

BDunnell
28th January 2012, 09:44
I'm a bit surprised they've gone for the TOCA turbo engine. It was often outpaced last year. But there's no denying that this is very good for the championship.

VkmSpouge
28th January 2012, 14:10
I would guess that with cars having to be built over such a short time scale 888 don't want to worry about a new engine.

JasonPotato
2nd February 2012, 02:49
Very good news! Shame the livery doesn't look great. Think the last time i saw an MG win a race was in 2006 with Turkington so will be good to see them up the front (hopefully).

Tixy54
8th February 2012, 12:01
Hmm....me thinks possibly something else to whinge about, "we haven't got the power of the other cars", "We haven't got the handling on the corners." We'll just have to wait and see, I can't help thinking that whinging is becoming the way to get yourself noticed by the media.