PDA

View Full Version : Helio's pedal dance

GRW1983
24th January 2012, 21:31
It seems that with this new DW12 engineered with left-foot braking in mind, by having a hand clutch plus anti-stall, Helio Castroneves has broken the habit of a lifetime and has begun testing as a left-foot braker. He follows on from Ryan Briscoe at the start of 2011 in making the switch to left-foot braking, It seems Will Power's dominance has had an influence at Penske and now all three drivers will left-foot brake this season. It will make engineering a lot easier now that all three drivers are braking this way.

Does anyone know if Dario Franchitti is also making the same switch. I believe that only Dario & Helio were the only right-foot brakers in IndyCar last season, and now with these new cars updated to modern technologies, it would seem strange if Dario didn't make the switch as well. If I remember rightly, when Dan Wheldon was describing the car, he said that the car was designed, specifically, for left-foot braking, as there was a hand clutch. Although, he also said that with more room in the pedal box, you could right-foot brake if you really wanted to. If Helio is making the change, I see no reason why Dario shouldn't either.

Nem14
24th January 2012, 23:43
These guys need to spend some quality time in a shifter kart. ;-)

call_me_andrew
25th January 2012, 04:01
I never want to stop right foot braking!

Though it is likely Dallara went the F1 direction and routed the steering column directly between the pedals so drivers can't move their feet.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2012, 18:09
Dario may not need to change. Being a right foot braker hasn't hurt his career so far....

GRW1983
27th January 2012, 16:48
Dario may not need to change. Being a right foot braker hasn't hurt his career so far....
Very true, I just thought that if Helio was making the change, then Dario might as well. Although if Rubens joins IndyCar's ranks then he will, probably, stay as a right-foot braker.

Marbles
31st January 2012, 22:49
I recall when Tracy was partnered with and also being outpaced by Allmendinger that he was convinced by his team and the data they showed him to switch to left foot braking. So Dario and Helio might just be that much faster with a bit of practice?

FIAT1
2nd February 2012, 16:58
Talented will be fine left,right and in between

numanoid
3rd February 2012, 20:26
Anyone know if Helio's legal troubles are behind him? I have a strong feeling it was weighing on him last season.

Nem14
4th February 2012, 01:05
Helio, his sister, and his attorney were all found not guilty back in April of 2009.

The trial ended on April 10, 2009, with closing arguments and the jury deliberated until April 17, when it acquitted Castroneves of all six counts of tax evasion but hung on a count of conspiracy. On May 22, 2009, prosecutors dropped the remaining conspiracy charge.

GRW1983
18th February 2012, 21:34
Just read an article by Dario stating that he can't right-foot brake in the DW12. He says he's 95% competant with his left, it's just that he lacks that last bit of finesse. I was surprised to read though that after some back & forth with IndyCar he's getting a kit so he can right-foot brake instead. Given that Helio made the switch to left-foot braking I thought Dario would as well. Surely left-foot braking is quicker, and wouldn't it allow Dario to improve as a driver if he made the switch. I know he's won 4 titles using right-foot braking but with these new cars I thought switching was pretty much a must.

GRW1983
18th February 2012, 22:20
Here is Dario's article.
Dario Franchitti's first Motor Sport post! - Dario Franchitti, Indycar - Motor Sport Magazine (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/driver-columns/dario-franchittis-first-motor-sport-post/)