PDA

View Full Version : The Astronomy Thread

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2012, 19:18
Any keen astronomers out there?

I've always had an interest in the Solar System and I remember getting my first telescope when I was 10. Sadly it was only good enough to show some crater detail on the Moon and a hint of the phases on Venus.

I'm looking into getting a new telescope but I'm not sure what to go for. I want to be able to see the rings of Saturn, Galilean moons and the ice-caps on Mars.

Jupiter has been very bright over the past few months, partly due to the Moon rising late. And increasing Sun activity as we approach the solar max means the aurora borealis was visible in the UK last night, and hopefully again tonight.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2012/Jan/Week4/16154755.jpg

donKey jote
23rd January 2012, 19:20
cool, is that your photo ? :up:

Not only solar max but there was a massive flare to look forward to !

Also a keen astronomer here, albeit telescopeless :)

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2012, 19:28
cool, is that your photo ? :up:

Not only solar max but there was a massive flare to look forward to !

Also a keen astronomer here, albeit telescopeless :)

The photo is from a news website and was taken in Northumberland. I've never seen the northern lights.

donKey jote
23rd January 2012, 19:45
That's not too far north...
Static pictures are cool but don't really capture their hypnotising effect. I only saw them a couple of times in Lappland, I hope to see them again sometime though :)

schmenke
23rd January 2012, 19:58
I've recently been tempted to purchase a telescope to take a closer gander at the twinkles in the night sky. Sadly though there's far too much light pollution around my area so I'm not sure it's a worthwhile investment :mark: .

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2012, 20:04
I've recently been tempted to purchase a telescope to take a closer gander at the twinkles in the night sky. Sadly though there's far too much light pollution around my area so I'm not sure it's a worthwhile investment :mark: .

I have the same problem. North of me I have Lancaster, south I have Preston and Manchester, and west I have Blackpool and its sodding illuminations.