PDA

View Full Version : LOLA in Grand-am racing

IMSAFAN1
24th March 2007, 01:18
Krohn racing and Lola are joining forces in The Rolex Grand-Am series for 08. Glad to see another car builder coming in. Go to the Grand-Am web site for more info.

Erki
24th March 2007, 09:31
I hope they at least make a car that doesn't looks like horse manure. :\

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2007, 18:57
Erki, that is what the rules lay out. Grand Am's look that way because the box the rules say the cars has to fit in make them all look stupid.

The Crawford was the best looking chassis, but the Riley wins more races. I suspect the Lola will look probably like the Riley in many ways....they don't design these beasts for looks, they design em to fit within the rules and go fast....

Shifter
23rd April 2007, 15:47
I'm so sick of the mindless bleatings about car design in the DP series. Fine...a single DP vs. a single GT1 or GT2, yes the DP looks no where near as good. But, come race day 20+ DP's screaming around the track, all in contention to win looks MUCH better than 4 to 6 GT1 cars locked in 'team-mate battles'. ALMS isn't F1 and I'm not sure they can continue getting away with this kind of a show...

Erki
23rd April 2007, 18:00
Where did I mention ALMS? :confused: Yeah, I agree, ALMS GT1 is in a pretty sad state at the moment. But then again in FIA GT, there are tons of good and fast GT1-s.

This is what Greg Pickett think of DP:
[quote="Greg Pickett"]"When I got the Grand-Am car I wasn't sure how that was going to go,&#8221]
http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241368/49/

Also, I don't know what GA is trying to achieve with the "lucky dawg" gimmick: http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241398/49/
I just had to laugh out loud when I read this: ... Second Chance (yet to be sponsored) ... I mean.. :rolleyes: I already see debris cautions coming.. :p :

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 18:57
Grand AM is the NASCARization of sportscar racing. The fact they have over 20 cars battling for the lead in any given race is what is making this series work. A lot has been said about how ugly the cars are compared to the ALMS, but as it is pointed out, watching one or two teammates battle for a championship gets old too.

I would love to see some cost certainty and tighter rules in the ALMS to maybe draw more cars and manufacturers, but I still love the perfomance of the rocketships of the ALMS. Anyone who has watched a DP and an ALMS car at the same track (not at the same time, but a DP team did test at Mosport and I saw the car lapping) will know immediately that on pure speed, it isn't even close. The ALMS car is the rocketship, and the DP is the 747. One is faster, but there a hell of a lot of the others....and when you factor that it in, DP works. I think a formula halfway between the two would be the best...

Bob Riebe
25th April 2007, 03:49
come race day 20+ DP's screaming around the track,

DPs--screaminng--ROFL!!! The overstatement of the year.

Shifter
25th April 2007, 21:37
Well, I'm going to VIR this weekend and I am going to have fun, and it's going to be a good race. I know GrandAM and the DP series could be corrupted by the governing organization, but it hasn't happened yet. Might as well enjoy it while I can.

harvick#1
26th April 2007, 00:03
Where did I mention ALMS? :confused: Yeah, I agree, ALMS GT1 is in a pretty sad state at the moment. But then again in FIA GT, there are tons of good and fast GT1-s.

This is what Greg Pickett think of DP:

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241368/49/

Also, I don't know what GA is trying to achieve with the "lucky dawg" gimmick: http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241398/49/
I just had to laugh out loud when I read this: ... Second Chance (yet to be sponsored) ... I mean.. :rolleyes: I already see debris cautions coming.. :p :

cause Grand-am is Nascar's road racing division.

I think Corvette shouild start selling the C6-R and Aston needs to come back with 3 or 4 teams. Oreca needs to come with 2 saleens, and Ferrari needs an Enzo to come to GT1 :D

but its pretty sad a GT1 Corvette can run with a DP, I thought Prototype classes were suppose to be fast and exotic, I guess the Grand-am got lost in translation.

if Lola's Coupe would go into Grand-AM that would instintly make more fans show up to see a beauty

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2007, 22:24
Grand-Am isn't about pure speed, it is about competition. Last time I looked, NASCAR was lapping Indy about 35 mph less than the IRL, but I don't recall anyone being able to get walk up tickets for the Brickyard, while I bet there will be empty seats at the 500 this year.......

racefanfromnj
28th April 2007, 23:27
cause Grand-am is Nascar's road racing division.

I think Corvette shouild start selling the C6-R and Aston needs to come back with 3 or 4 teams. Oreca needs to come with 2 saleens, and Ferrari needs an Enzo to come to GT1 :D

but its pretty sad a GT1 Corvette can run with a DP, I thought Prototype classes were suppose to be fast and exotic, I guess the Grand-am got lost in translation.

if Lola's Coupe would go into Grand-AM that would instintly make more fans show up to see a beauty

If only all those cars were free then I'd guess they would all show up .
as they arent
it leaves one to wonder just who will pay the bills of all those cars. We all know sponsor money is rather scarce for sports car racing. All this constant bashing back and forth will serve no purpose but drive things the way of the IRL ans Champ cars.
watch what you like ANd avoid what you dont and life goes on . good day

Erki
29th April 2007, 04:12
Grand-Am isn't about pure speed, it is about competition. Last time I looked, NASCAR was lapping Indy about 35 mph less than the IRL, but I don't recall anyone being able to get walk up tickets for the Brickyard, while I bet there will be empty seats at the 500 this year.......

But NASCAR cars don't look like turds either. :)

Erki
29th April 2007, 04:14

Corvette has already sold several cars, but to Europe, even the last year's title winning car is in Europe now(in Alphand's hands)

Mark in Oshawa
5th May 2007, 19:23
But NASCAR cars don't look like turds either. :)

Good point, maybe if DP's were not so ugly, then Grand AM would be have more fans? All I know is the cars are not the ugliest race cars in history, but they do rank up there....