PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Driver and teams line up.

MAX_THRUST
21st January 2012, 09:56
So what is the latest list of teams and drivers in the IRL. Anyone know?

MAX_THRUST
21st January 2012, 10:04
Sorry just found a list on Indy CAr, 35 drivers. Is this for the whole season or just for the 500, are they all season long drivers? If so there will be many not qualifying on Saturdays for Sundays race. We can have that many cars on the track as we did in Vegas surely

Dr. Krogshöj
21st January 2012, 11:11
This is my take on the Silly Season at this point. Bold is confirmed, the rest is my educated guess.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7280/2012indycarsillyseason.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/2012indycarsillyseason.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

heliocastroneves#3
21st January 2012, 14:59
I hope Buddy Rice gets a full time ride!

FormerFF
21st January 2012, 18:19
So what is the latest list of teams and drivers in the IRL. Anyone know?

It's the Izod Indycar series now, the term "IRL" has been retired.

Thanks to Dr. Krogshöj for the update! I'm stoked, just bought my ticket for Barber.

heliocastroneves#3
21st January 2012, 20:06
It's the Izod Indycar series now, the term "IRL" has been retired.

IRL, ICS, IndyCar, IndyCar Series, IZOD IndyCar Series, blablabla; everyone knows where we are talking about. ;)

:D

DanicaFan
22nd January 2012, 04:20
IRL, ICS, IndyCar, IndyCar Series, IZOD IndyCar Series, blablabla; everyone knows where we are talking about. ;)

:D

I agree. I still call it IRL, much easier to say.. :)

heliocastroneves#3
22nd January 2012, 14:54
Yeah, me too... Especially because, the Dallara IR03 was still in use when it became "IndyCar", and besides some extra teams, drivers and races; it's still the same Indy Racing League in my opinion. Of course I'm happy we are not in the oval only days anymore, and of course when it was IRL, there wasn't a balanced schedule. But besides those things, it's still the same IRL for me.

Maybe this is because I used to watch IRL before the merge, and never gave a little thing about CART. I watched it sometimes, but it never was something I really followed. Even in 2007, when Doornbos was doing such a good job, I didn't follow it. Especially because that Panoz chassis was more looking like an F1 car then a CART car, and they started to do standing starts.. It was more becoming American F1, then it was CART (or ChampCar, choose how you'd want to call it). Also they started to visit crappy tracks, like Assen and Zolder. I'm Dutch, and I like Assen; but those tracks are not suitable for those open wheel series. However I like the IndyCar Series as it's now, I still love to watch the races in the days when Sam Hornish Jr. and Scott Sharp were IndyCar drivers. Both were one of my favorite drivers in IndyCar. Of course Arie Luyendyk was sort of my hero in American Open Wheel Racing. Great he created a twitter account anyway.

I still hope Buddy Rice and Vitor Meira will get a full time ride. Rice is an Indy 500 winner and Meira already finished second twice. Second is the first loser, but it also proves you know how to drive a race car. Both deserve a full time ride!

garyshell
22nd January 2012, 16:36
But besides those things, it's still the same IRL for me.

And to be be perfectly frank, that doesn't matter. The name was OFFICIALLY changed and it was done so for a very good reason, namely to help put to rest some of the animosity between the two sides. Sorry, but the IRL no longer exists, Indycar does.

Gary

Pat Wiatrowski
22nd January 2012, 18:36
And to be be perfectly frank, that doesn't matter. The name was OFFICIALLY changed and it was done so for a very good reason, namely to help put to rest some of the animosity between the two sides. Sorry, but the IRL no longer exists, Indycar does.

Gary

Did not put ANY animosity to rest, instead it added to it!

SarahFan
22nd January 2012, 21:36
TyPical

FIAT1
23rd January 2012, 15:07
Debating old wars does not help anyone. Comparing quality of drivers and cars in old irl to CART is idiotic in every aspect. I was watching some old dvd's of 90's amazing cars,sound and speed and packed stands and was asking my self how something great can be destroyed. I have great memories of being a part of best racing series at that time. Now we have new Indycar with same CART owners and drivers and it is time to build it again for new generation of fans who appreciate real motor racing. We are not there by any means but we could be when competicion opens up. What name to call it is up to you as for me I heard it is Indycar now.