PDA

View Full Version : BriSCA Stock Cars Press Release - Sheffield 1st April

Chris29
24th March 2007, 00:26
Apologies if this is out of place here, but I feel that there is a natural crossover, and this is the most appropriate forum on this site for this info. If people object to it, please say so and no further info will be posted through the season.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OWLERTON!

`Gentlemen, start your engines’ will be the message to start the Hi Octane 2007 `Stock Car Racing’ season at Sheffields’ OWLERTON STADIUM on Sunday afternoon [2.pm] 1st April.

It also marks a decade of racing since the sport returned to South Yorkshire in the late nineties.

Around 90 stock cars are expected to be in action opening the Northern season with racers from across the UK entered.

Owlertons D Shaped racetrack is regarded as the most daunting,fastest, toughest and most destructive within the sport - and too many cars lapping at up to 70.mph around a narrow track is the perfect recipe for drama and excitement!

Owlerton is regarded as the most spectacular in the UK for action.

The April 1st opening session marks the beginning of an attractive season, the highlight being the BriSCA F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Semi Final on Sunday July 22nd at the stadium.

The opening event is vital for South Yorkshire Stock Car racers with a line up that includes reigning BriSCA F2 World Champion Gordon Moodie from Scotland, as 2007 World Qualification points are at stake.

South Yorkshire is well represented with Stocksbridge racers Andy and Martin Ford heading a field of approaching sixty entries for this event.

In the `Big League’ BriSCA F1 Stock Cars, Yorkshires’ Junior Wainman will be looking for vital set up clues as when it comes to the big event, Sheffield can prove very much a bogey track as it did in his last appearance in a Semi Final in 2003.

A unique format has been put together for the V8, 600 BHP monster Formula One Stock Cars for this event, the 2007 STEEL CITY CLASSIC which features a handicapping system designed to make the top stars work even harder and there’s an amazing `sudden death’ final race to the programme.

Big Cars,Huge horsepower, too many cars, small track - all the ingredients for full on awesome motorsport entertainment as only Owlerton Stadium can provide.

It’s all happening Sunday 1st April at 2.pm
Sheffield ` Owlerton’ Stadium
BriSCA Formula 1 & Formula 2 Stock Car Racing

For further press information/passes check out the website at http://www.startrax.info including live video action, contact the office on 01484 844088

JDPower
24th March 2007, 19:58
Apologies if this is out of place here, but I feel that there is a natural crossover, and this is the most appropriate forum on this site for this info. If people object to it, please say so and no further info will be posted through the season.
Perfectly fine by me. Certainly of interest (even though I don't follow the short track events)

Reynard
24th March 2007, 22:27
I can't see any probs either since a lot of short oval folks are members of this board.

acorn
25th March 2007, 13:57
as long as brisca is in the thread title i've no problem.

Chris29
25th March 2007, 14:53
Thanks all. Good to know there's some interest :)

Nick Brad
26th March 2007, 11:59
I welcome any short track oval news.

As a related question, how many of you attend short track events?
I've been wondering this over the weekend after an article in Late Model Racing magazine highlighted how people need to support the short tracks otherwise the lower series' will become further detached from NASCAR and the future will see only drivers with money making it to the top rather than drivers with talent.
We've seen it in single seater racing over here and I feel the short ovals need our support to be able to keep feeding us the top drivers like Colin and Keith, Shane Brereton, Phil White, Mark Willis.......

acorn
26th March 2007, 14:02
i used to attend as many meetings as i could (f1 and f2 at northampton and arena, and spedeworth(mainly supastox) meetings at wimbledon and ipswich) that didn't clash with rockingham events.

i'm now being more selective(mainly qualifying or championship events) and with arena(which is my local and the one i raced at most) seemingly under threat of compulsory purchase i could be attending less meetings. my main criteria is- if the round trip takes as long as or longer than the meeting duration theni will only go if the expected content is above average.

MGH
26th March 2007, 21:00
Brisca F1 and F2 @ Wimbledon stadium April 15th 5.30pm!

pickup
26th March 2007, 21:28
Brisca F1 and F2 @ Wimbledon stadium April 15th 5.30pm!

Good to see them make a permanent return this far south.

Chris29
26th March 2007, 21:32
You may or may not be aware that the 2008 BriSCA F1 World Final is scheduled to be held at Wimbledon. I'll post news on the April Meeting closer to the time :D

pickup
26th March 2007, 21:40
Yes i saw that on the Brisca website should be good, great atmosphere in the stadium!

Nick Brad
26th March 2007, 23:08
I must confess that I've never been to Wimbledon although I'm sure that will change next year :)
I grew up pretty much at Swaffham, then moving on to Alwalton, (P'boro,) as i grew older with my dad. I've also regularly attended Kings Lynn with the occasional trip to Skeggy.

pickup
26th March 2007, 23:23
Well worth a trip Nick you won't be dissapointed!