PDA

View Full Version : ALMS at VIR!

FormerFF
19th January 2012, 01:26
Good news, especially since Baltimore is looking doubtful. I haven't been to VIR since my dad raced there in 1974, I'll have to make the trip.

Jag_Warrior
19th January 2012, 10:05
You.
Will.
Love.
It!!!

Best news I've heard all year (not off to the greatest start).

FormerFF
20th January 2012, 15:32
OK, snagged a hotel room in South Boston for Thursday and Friday. Tickets will be available next month.

I am curious why Grand Am dropped their VIR date. The only reason I can think of is when they added Belle Isle and Indy they had what they considered a full schedule.

Jag_Warrior
22nd January 2012, 06:07
Except for the first year I went, Grand Am always put on a good show at VIR. The first year, they still had the old formula and they allowed some rednecks to run the paddock (told me to remove my ALMS hat... knock it off my head if you feel froggy enough, Bubba :D ). The anemic performance of the cars didn't show up so well at VIR (especially in the Oak Tree turn). I don't know much about the hotels on the property. But since I don't have a club membership, I guess I'll just take my chances in Danville again.

FormerFF
22nd January 2012, 16:10
Except for the first year I went, Grand Am always put on a good show at VIR. The first year, they still had the old formula and they allowed some rednecks to run the paddock (told me to remove my ALMS hat... knock it off my head if you feel froggy enough, Bubba :D ). The anemic performance of the cars didn't show up so well at VIR (especially in the Oak Tree turn). I don't know much about the hotels on the property. But since I don't have a club membership, I guess I'll just take my chances in Danville again.

When I was looking, there wasn't anything available in Danville, and not much in South Boston, either. You may want to see what you can get now.

FormerFF
22nd January 2012, 16:14
On site hotel isn't bad, much like NJMP.

Former FF, you will love the place. Not like the '70s corn fields at all.

Funny you should mention corn fields. The guy parked next to up had a showroom stocker, and went off and the car got stuck. He got out, and walked back to the corner station. At the end of the session, when the tow truck driver came to pull him out, it took them about 10 minutes to find the car!

Jag_Warrior
26th January 2012, 20:38
When I was looking, there wasn't anything available in Danville, and not much in South Boston, either. You may want to see what you can get now.

In all the years I've been going to VIR, I've never had an issue getting a room in Danville (especially this early...before the season has even started). But you're right: sold out!!!

I'd really like to go. But I'll have to think of a Plan B.