PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Testing

call_me_andrew
14th January 2012, 03:30
Long story short: Tandems are still 5mph faster than the pack.

Alexamateo
14th January 2012, 05:51
I don't think it ever goes away unless they change the bumpers. They may restrict the radiators, and make them overheat, and they might just try to ride around in a pack until the end, but when the race is on the line, they'll pair up because it is faster, even if they hate it.

I suppose dropping the banking could help, too, then the aero push would separate them.

call_me_andrew
14th January 2012, 06:58
If NASCAR really wanted them back in the pack, they could just switch the air intake from cowl induction to ram induction. Then the following car's engine would stall if it gets to close to someone's bumper.

I'd much rather switch to a grooved tire. It'll have all the reduced mechanical grip of a narrow tire, but no one has to buy new wheels, steering knuckles, and control arms.

Lee Roy
15th January 2012, 17:59
The only way to solve the problem is to reconfiugure the track.

call_me_andrew
3rd February 2012, 04:43
Remember when NASCAR tried using tiny fuel tanks to break up the packs? Whoever thought they'd try to encourage this behavior?

wedge
4th February 2012, 15:01

I've advocated and made my excuses but yes, I fully digress and in full agreement that a section of banking needs to be significantly lowered at 'Dega and Daytona.

call_me_andrew
5th February 2012, 01:52
Even if the banking at Talladega were lowered to 18 degrees, they'd still be going 195 in the turns.

harvick#1
5th February 2012, 03:00
Daytona was actually getting good until the dummies repaved it, the track should've been patched and never repaved, they took all the bumps and weathering away and especially in the july race, pack racing was actually broken up when the tires were worn out and the drivers were actually having to let off the throttle through the corners.

one resolution will be to make the front/rear bumpers no longer able to be aligned, lower the front and raise the rear so they dont have the ability to touch

call_me_andrew
5th February 2012, 04:05
If they kept patching the track, they would have kept getting pot holes.

If the bumpers aren't aligned, then we'll have more bump and run crashes at all other tracks.

Bob Riebe
7th February 2012, 03:31
I do not see any problem. It is supposed to be racing. They are taking and saying you will go out there and drive these cars in the manner we tell you. No faster, no other style. Do as you are told.

When I was younger that was not called racing, and what such things were called would be starred out by the censor.

00steven
7th February 2012, 08:53
Daytona was actually getting good until the dummies repaved it, the track should've been patched and never repaved, they took all the bumps and weathering away and especially in the july race, pack racing was actually broken up when the tires were worn out and the drivers were actually having to let off the throttle through the corners.

one resolution will be to make the front/rear bumpers no longer able to be aligned, lower the front and raise the rear so they dont have the ability to touch

Disagree with you about paving the track, the surface was shot. But you are correct that the bumpers shouldn't align so perfectly. It creates dangerous racing in my opinion.