PDA

View Full Version : GP2 2012 on TV UK

aps6686
14th January 2012, 02:01
Does anyone know what UK channel GP2 will be on this year? Will it stay with Eurosport or not? I heard somewhere that Sky Sports had the rights to the support races but I'm not sure.

Mekola
15th January 2012, 14:25
It seems that Eurosport will cover GP3 only. GP2 will be broadcasted by Sky in UK.

Nikki Katz
16th January 2012, 19:34
Really? Does anyone have a link?

I don't know what Eurosport's problem with GP2 is. They used to cover it really well, then started delaying the races and chopping large chunks out of them, often making any broadcast clash with F1 too.

I hope it's on Sky as I already have a subscription for that (tho I can understand others may not agree!), but I really hope it doesn't disappear from our screens altogether.

I also don't get Eurosport's obsession with GP3. Isn't British F3 still a little higher regarded? They're also the most rubbish sounding engines ever built.

Edit: link https://twitter.com/#!/EurosportUKTV/statuses/144459136078319617

It does seem that Sky want to broadcast it, but as nothing's official I'm still nervous.

aps6686
22nd January 2012, 22:08
In Autosport a few months back it said that Sky had the rights to all of the support races, but now I've read that Eurosport are showing GP3 + Porsche Supercup. So many different theories! But which one is right?

IceWizard
24th January 2012, 17:52
I believe that Sky has first refusal on all the support races as the primary F1 rights holder. I had read somewhere that they had chosen to broadcast GP2, but not GP3 or Porsche, so it would seem most likely that Eurosport will continue with those.

yodasarmpit
2nd February 2012, 16:28
Just announced this morning.

GP2 and GP3 series live on on Sky Sports F1 HD

Sky Sports viewers will get a glimpse into the future of motorsport with live coverage of the GP2 and GP3 series on Sky Sports F1 HD.

Coverage will complement the Formula 1 programming on the channel, offering UK and Irish motor racing fans even more racing. Subscribers can also watch online or on tablet and mobile devices with Sky Go at no extra charge.

Sky Sports F1 HD’s weekly magazine show, presented by Georgie Thompson and Ted Kravitz, will also provide coverage, analysis and discussion of the races which follow the Formula 1 World Championship across the world to the likes of Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Spa and Singapore.

Like Formula 1, GP2 and GP3 cars are single seaters. The two series share constructors, engine manufacturers and tyre suppliers, although GP2 cars are bigger and faster, with larger, more powerful engines. GP3 is seen as a feeder series to GP2, generating exciting wheel-to-wheel racing. Last season’s GP3 champion Valtteri Bottas is currently a Williams F1 test driver.

The 12-round 2012 GP2 series will begin in Malaysia on 23–25 March and follows a global circuit through 10 countries. Sky Sports F1 HD will show the two races per weekend; a feature race and a shorter sprint race.

Current GP2 series team champions Barwa Addax will be looking to retain their title with two new drivers starting on the grid in the 2012 season. With 2011 GP2 Drivers champion Romain Grosjean moving to Formula 1 in 2012 to race alongside Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus team, the 13 teams and 26 drivers will battle to find a new champion this season.

The GP3 series circuit moves around European race tracks in eight rounds, and ten teams will race both feature and sprint races on consecutive days. This coming 2012 season, the team behind the newly-named Lotus GP will be looking to make it three out of three seasons at the top of both the driver and team podiums and emerge double champions yet again.

Sky Sports to show GP2 & GP3 | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7474325/Sky-Sports-to-show-GP2-GP3)

Nikki Katz
2nd February 2012, 23:02
*phew*

Dear Mr Murdoch, pleeeeease do a better job this year than Eurosport managed in 2011.

philipbain
2nd March 2012, 14:04
*phew*

Dear Mr Murdoch, pleeeeease do a better job this year than Eurosport managed in 2011.

I think it would take much more effort to do worse than Eurosport, thier coverage prior to GP2 going to ITV4 was ok, nothing brilliant but ok, when they got it back you would have thought they would make more effort, but if anything it got so much worse, races rarely been shown live and delayed broadcats being put in time slots that made no sense! Thankfully it's now on Sky Sports F1 HD, so flag to flag live coverage is pretty much guaranteed and in general when Sky Sports want to make an effort (and a dedicated channel seems to show Sky's commitment to making it's coverage successful!) they deliver the goods, I always rated thier A1GP coverage, very thorough.

Lets hope Sky give GP2 and GP3 a stable TV platform, so the F1 fans of today can be introduced to the F1 drivers of tomorrow.

DamonHillFan
7th March 2012, 06:57
yeah is gonna be on Sky, should be good though, am looking forward to watching it myself, never watched much GP2 in the past but plan to catch it this year :)