PDA

View Full Version : Hinchtown to replace Danica in the GoDaddy car

numanoid
10th January 2012, 18:04
Hinchcliffe excited as Danica's successor (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-01-09/James-Hinchcliffe-picked-to-be-Danica-Patrick-successor/52474740/1)

Interesting. Was expecting a veteran with a following.

heliocastroneves#3
10th January 2012, 19:12
It should have been a veteran... Danny boy. :( But I'm sure Wheldon is proud that they had chosen Hinchcliffe as HIS replacement. I'm sure that when James is going to drive in that #27 GoDaddy car, Dan Wheldon will help him to the win, and will be proud on James!

nigelred5
10th January 2012, 23:49
Hinch has quite the following actually. Hinch is a veteran now. He's spent a lot more time in open wheel cars than a lot of people realize. Formula BMW, star mazda, Atlantics, Indylights, A1GP, and ROTY. He's 25, and he's also got plenty of experience in marketing himeslf. He's far more marketable than the majority of the much older veterans of the series now. He also probably works a lot cheaper and apparently GO DADDY is excitedabout having him.

Michael is also doing exactly what everyone on these forums constantly complain needs to be done. He's developing young drivers in the Indycar ladder and he has three drivers of the younger generation in his Indycars. Two Americans and a Canadian that are what people say we need, marketable young drivers. I'm psyched for Hinch

libra65
11th January 2012, 00:14
Couldn't agree with you more Nigel!! He probably sees the same potential in Hinchcliff that he saw in Wheldon when he started AGR. Good luck & God bless James Hinchcliff.

00steven
11th January 2012, 03:57
The best fit given the circumstances. Hinch is a great personality and a hell of a driver too! I'm glad they decided to use #27 instead of #7, time to move on from the princess.

heliocastroneves#3
11th January 2012, 13:40
Well, I would've loved it if they would keep the #7. Then that car number finally starts to win something. Because the last "real" win from the #7 was at Michigan, back in '05 right?

DBell
12th January 2012, 14:16
Hinch has quite the following actually. Hinch is a veteran now. He's spent a lot more time in open wheel cars than a lot of people realize. Formula BMW, star mazda, Atlantics, Indylights, A1GP, and ROTY. He's 25, and he's also got plenty of experience in marketing himeslf. He's far more marketable than the majority of the much older veterans of the series now. He also probably works a lot cheaper and apparently GO DADDY is excitedabout having him.

Michael is also doing exactly what everyone on these forums constantly complain needs to be done. He's developing young drivers in the Indycar ladder and he has three drivers of the younger generation in his Indycars. Two Americans and a Canadian that are what people say we need, marketable young drivers. I'm psyched for Hinch

Great post 'Nige and all of it is spot on. Is there going to be a 4th Andretti car?

SarahFan
12th January 2012, 16:18
Hinchcliffe excited as Danica's successor (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-01-09/James-Hinchcliffe-picked-to-be-Danica-Patrick-successor/52474740/1)

Interesting. Was expecting a veteran with a following.

Can you give me a veteran with following?

Just curious who that might have been iyo

anthonyvop
12th January 2012, 16:23

He does Market himself fairly well but he has to deliver. And aside from one season in Lights has failed to impress me on the track especially considering his teammate finished 1st in points among non-Penske/Ganassi teams.
He does show flashes of brilliance but now he has to really suck it up being on a team that is known for under-performing in spite of a large budget.

anthonyvop
12th January 2012, 16:30

I was curious myself as Kanaan already has a ride

champcarray
12th January 2012, 17:37
I'm excited to hear that James landed a ride for 2012. I've been watching his rise through the ranks and am glad to see this rookie of the year back for more. (Though I wish he wasn't driving for AA).

edv
13th January 2012, 16:07
I'm excited to hear that James landed a ride for 2012. I've been watching his rise through the ranks and am glad to see this rookie of the year back for more. (Though I wish he wasn't driving for AA).

+1

heliocastroneves#3
13th January 2012, 16:33
Would be awesome to see him doing a great job, would be great if he could win the Honda Indy Toronto this year.

Bullet
14th January 2012, 01:28
I think this is great news, he was impressive last year. I'm also curious about vets with a following. This is my first time checking in since November so not sure what's up with Tracy or Kanaan but those are the only ones that come quickly to mind.

hondacom
15th January 2012, 18:16
He does Market himself fairly well but he has to deliver. And aside from one season in Lights has failed to impress me on the track especially considering his teammate finished 1st in points among non-Penske/Ganassi teams.
He does show flashes of brilliance but now he has to really suck it up being on a team that is known for under-performing in spite of a large budget.

I hope that he learns to control his mouth. He has a habit of badmouthing other Canadian Drivers. PT comes to my mind.

nigelred5
16th January 2012, 20:09
I hope that he learns to control his mouth. He has a habit of badmouthing other Canadian Drivers. PT comes to my mind.

PT's certainly done plenty over the years to deserve a little badmouthing. Hinch has said quite a lot over the years. He's 25 now, but he was very young and the anti IRL venom was still very thick when he came up through the champcar ranks. Everyone moves on....

Andrewmcm
17th January 2012, 17:17
Hinch was also excellent in the commentary box for Eurosport back in the Champcar days. He will definitely have a media career after he hangs up his helmet, in much the same way as Dan Wheldon would have done.

edv
17th January 2012, 21:22
Sports Ilustrated has a nice article up today on the Mayor Of Hinchtown:

James Hinchcliffe replaces Danica Patrick at Andretti Autosport - Bruce Martin - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/bruce_martin/01/16/james.hinchcliffe/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a7)

nigelred5
18th January 2012, 16:35
Hinch was also excellent in the commentary box for Eurosport back in the Champcar days. He will definitely have a media career after he hangs up his helmet, in much the same way as Dan Wheldon would have done.

^This. I was watching the Assen race for the first time on youtube a few days ago. His commentary was excellent, entertaining and well delivered, but I don't want to rush him back to the booth anytime soon unless its' for the typical driver interviews, etc. He has the potential to be a great ambassador for Indycar.

FIAT1
23rd January 2012, 15:12
We could see that car up front finally.

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2012, 18:15

PT of course...he is a GoDaddy kind of guy too....not afraid to put on the clown suit and be the fool.

That all said he has torn up up his share of race cars. That, and he and Mike Andretti don't always see eye to eye. So he wouldn't get the job. Still, you asked for a name....

I am really happy for Hinch. He is the Canadian with the rising star, and he can drive and he can market. In today's world of racing, you need to be able to do both unless you are so incredible behind the wheel no one can deny you...and we havne't seen a talent like that since.....?? Is there one that was ever that good? Senna perhaps? Schumacher? I mean, they all did the sponsor thing, but they were so good they didn't HAVE to. IT is rare to see a top flight driver so good that whether he could do the sponsor arse kiss didn't matter...

FIAT1
2nd February 2012, 17:03
They should come up with something different then green for new driver and a car.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2012, 01:40
PT... That, and he and Mike Andretti don't always see eye to eye. So he wouldn't get the job. Still, you asked for a name....

I think they did see eye to eye... the time that Paul was trying to line up Mike's face so he could put his fist in his mouth. :D