PDA

View Full Version : PS3 questions

Langdale Forest
8th January 2012, 17:56
Does a PS3 work with a non HD TV, as long as it has got a scart socket?

If you need to upgrade the hard drive, can you transfer the data from the old one onto the new one?

christophulus
8th January 2012, 19:02
Yes to the first point, as for the hard drives I'm not sure.

Captain VXR
8th January 2012, 20:39
Does a PS3 work with a non HD TV, as long as it has got a scart socket?

If you need to upgrade the hard drive, can you transfer the data from the old one onto the new one?

Back up your files on a usb, and you can then install them onto your new hard drive

Langdale Forest
8th January 2012, 22:29
Back up your files on a usb, and you can then install them onto your new hard drive

Can you get USB sticks big enough, or will it work with several different ones?

MrJan
10th January 2012, 13:04
Using it with a non-HDTV kind of defeats the point, it will look awful and there will quite a few details you can't make out. My mate has just got a PS3 and was using it on a normal telly and said that he couldn't tell who was on his team when playing Battlefield 3. Then he upgraded to a small HDTV and everything was dandy. I was the same when I first got my 360, had to get a proper telly before I realised what the graphics were actually like.

Langdale Forest
14th January 2012, 07:20
Would those graphics be worse than a PS2s?

ShiftingGears
14th January 2012, 10:26

Nope.

14th January 2012, 16:02
of course i think they are going to be an different change in it which we don't like.

MrJan
15th January 2012, 12:21

No way, but when you get round to hooking it up to HD then you'll really notice the difference and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. F'rinstance I bought Test Drive Unlimited when I was still using a normal telly and there was a bit of the display that I didn't have a clue was telling me, when I got the HDTV it was clear.

If you get a PS3 then you won't be disappointed, but if you'll want to spring for a better TV as soon as you can afford to, especially as you can pick up half decent HDTVs for reletively little money now.

tfp
15th January 2012, 14:39
Also when I used to play Call of duty, half of the time I couldnt see where shots were coming from, then after I upgraded to a HDTV you can see further into a distance. A worthy upgrade!

Langdale Forest
15th January 2012, 21:39
ok, thanks for the advice but does this make some games unplayable?

MrJan
15th January 2012, 22:53

Not that I discovered, although my mate said that Battlefield was very difficult. It does make them less enjoyable and frustrating though.

tfp
15th January 2012, 23:53

Not at all, its one of those things that you can live with fine, but then you upgrade and think "Why diddn't I do that sooner?" :)

Sonic
16th January 2012, 08:12

Not unplayable no, but much harder. My HD TV was on the fritz a few months back so I hooked the PS3 up to the portable to get my fix of CoD. I was USELESS! Couldn't tell who was shooting at me from more than 100m away, kept getting gunned down. No fun.

Langdale Forest
16th January 2012, 14:13
The TV I am going to use for the PS3 is an old glass box one, not a non HD LCD.

Langdale Forest
16th January 2012, 14:54
can you still use the controller when it is being charged?

MrJan
16th January 2012, 17:12
can you still use the controller when it is being charged?

Yes, although the lead is quite short so I find that having a 2m USB extension is very helpful...it also means that I can download (ahem) a film on my laptop, shove it on a USB and watch it without leaving the sofa once :D (You could also do this via your home network, access films on computers that are linked, but I find that sometimes the sound is poor or the link drops between the two).

The PS3 is wonderful though, my 360 barely gets a look in these days because the PLaystation is so much more rounded as an entertainment device.

donKey jote
16th January 2012, 18:22
Slightly OT, but is anyone else here having problems with Battlefield 3 graphics?

Langdale Forest
16th January 2012, 22:33
Yes, although the lead is quite short so I find that having a 2m USB extension is very helpful...it also means that I can download (ahem) a film on my laptop, shove it on a USB and watch it without leaving the sofa once :D (You could also do this via your home network, access films on computers that are linked, but I find that sometimes the sound is poor or the link drops between the two).

Does the controller need to be pointing straight at the consle for it to work properley, and can you get a traditinol wire controller?

schmenke
16th January 2012, 23:17
Not sure about PS3 but I know the XBox controller can be held backwards and upside down behind the couch and it'll work fine :s
As far as I know it transmits using a radio signal, not optical or any other "line-of-site" type.

Sonic
17th January 2012, 09:59
Does the controller need to be pointing straight at the consle for it to work properley, and can you get a traditinol wire controller?

Why would you want a wire?

MrJan
17th January 2012, 19:20

The wireless is more than capable to cope unless you have ridiculously large rooms! The only real issue is when you want to charge and play at the same time, the provide lead is no more than 1.5m (if that) so you can often end up needing to sit closer to the console.

No need for a wired controller, just get a USB extension if you want to be plugged in the whole time (which is kinda pointless, as I said the wireless works from miles away and even through walls.)

Langdale Forest
13th February 2012, 21:25
I have a PS3 and it is working porperley on a HDTV, the only problem is that the early races on Test Drive Unlimited 2 seem to be really easy, is there any way to make the competion harder or does it get harder as you move up to the next level?