PDA

View Full Version : Conway to drive for A.J. Foyt Racing!

heliocastroneves#3
20th December 2011, 16:31
Foyt chooses Conway for 2012 - IndyCar.com (http://www.indyracing.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/51048-foyt-chooses-conway-for-2012/)

DanicaFan
20th December 2011, 16:46
Wonder where that leaves Vitor Meira ? Outside looking in Im sure.

heliocastroneves#3
20th December 2011, 17:24
Vitor Meira and Foyt already decided to part ways in 2012, a week before the IndyCar World Championships. Vitor might end up with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing by the way.

jwhite9185
20th December 2011, 18:44
Also, i wonder where this leaves Andretti? 3 car team with Hinch in the Go Daddy car?

heliocastroneves#3
20th December 2011, 19:03
Would love to see Vitor getting a chance there honestly. I know it's not gonna happen, but that guy already should've had won at least two races in his career. He deserves a winning car after ten years.

Nikki Katz
20th December 2011, 20:39
It would be a shame to lose Meira, but I'm not personally expecting him to have a full-time seat in 2012. It's been looking that way for some time though, it was announced at Vegas (I think) that Meira was leaving Foyt.

Lousada
20th December 2011, 22:28
Funny how Foyt never gets an American driver...

00steven
21st December 2011, 13:21
The best driver Foyt has had in a long time.

00steven
21st December 2011, 13:22
Also, i wonder where this leaves Andretti? 3 car team with Hinch in the Go Daddy car?

Yes.

anthonyvop
21st December 2011, 13:47
Funny how Foyt never gets an American driver...

As long as the Driver's Check is in American Dollars it is good enough for him.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st December 2011, 14:12

RHR in the GoDaddy car, Wilson in the DHL entry with co-sponsorship from Z-Line. At least that's my guess.

heliocastroneves#3
21st December 2011, 18:01
Justin Wilson also deserves an Andretti Autosport seat.. He already proved a while ago, he can drive up front with less competitive cars. He's a very good driver on road courses.

jwhite9185
21st December 2011, 19:05
RHR in the GoDaddy car, Wilson in the DHL entry with co-sponsorship from Z-Line. At least that's my guess.

Id say its more likely Wilson goes back to DRR

nigelred5
22nd December 2011, 00:52
AJ knows they need a road course driver to have any chance at being competetive..

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd December 2011, 08:39
Id say its more likely Wilson goes back to DRR

Is he trying to wait until it's more clear which engine is the strongest one? If it's Chevy, he goes to Andretti, if it's Lotus, he stays at D&RR, if it's Honda, he goes to Schmidt or Rahal.

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd December 2011, 08:41
As long as the Driver's Check is in American Dollars it is good enough for him.

To be honest, I doubt he employed many ride buyers. I have the impression that ABC Supply is a good sponsor and Darren or Vitor didn't have to bring a lot of money. I wonder if Mike will bring his ususal check to Foyt. His dad may think, "Okay son, you are now with a sponsored team, you don't need the family money anymore."

jwhite9185
23rd December 2011, 13:06
Is he trying to wait until it's more clear which engine is the strongest one? If it's Chevy, he goes to Andretti, if it's Lotus, he stays at D&RR, if it's Honda, he goes to Schmidt or Rahal.

I think Schmidt only has 1 full time car and Pagenaud has that. Doubt Wilson would go for a part time drive. Sato seems to be in at Rahal, and Servia would be an obvious choice if they have a 2nd car. At the moment Andretti only has funding for 3 cars and Hinch seems to be the best fit with Go Daddy. Andretti and RHR are believed to be locked in with their sponsors for 2012 so its unlikely they will be in the Go Daddy car. From what i heard Kevin Lee and Curt Cavin saying on their radio show, the main reason why Conway left Andretti was because his money would go further elsewhere, so id imagine it would be the same situation for Wilson.

SoCalPVguy
23rd December 2011, 16:16
AJ Foyt Racing is the "graveyard" for drivers, sort of like the roach motel for diver careers, "they can check in but they can't check out". Bad move for Conway but I am sure with limited rides available he was "desperate".

anthonyvop
24th December 2011, 01:51
AJ Foyt Racing is the "graveyard" for drivers, sort of like the roach motel for diver careers, "they can check in but they can't check out". Bad move for Conway but I am sure with limited rides available he was "desperate".

Conway isn't a Top Tier Driver so he fist perfectly with a non-top tier team like Foyt.

heliocastroneves#3
24th December 2011, 14:20
Of course he isn't a top tier driver, that's also why he won at the tough streets of Long Beach. :rolleyes:

anthonyvop
25th December 2011, 04:49
Of course he isn't a top tier driver, that's also why he won at the tough streets of Long Beach. :rolleyes:

Aside from one fluke win at LB has he impressed anyone in Years of ICS and GP2?

chuck34
25th December 2011, 05:00
Aside from one fluke win at LB has he impressed anyone in Years of ICS and GP2?

I'd say he hasn't really been outstanding. Nor has he embarrassed himself. Sounds abouf right for a drive at Foyt to me.

SarahFan
25th December 2011, 16:13
Journeyman