PDA

View Full Version : Rule changes for 2012

Dave B
7th December 2011, 11:37
I'm getting these drip-fed from Twitter, but will provide a proper source as soon as possible:

#F1 Other changes, races can now only run for four hours including any red flag stoppages (see Montreal)

#F1 In other changes, under a safety car lapped cars will now unlap themselves and join back of queue so they are not in way at restart

#fia changes- drivers not allowed to move back on racing line after defending off it, 3 day test in-season, drivers can use all tyres in FP1

#F1 And drivers can no longer cut corners on way back to pits in qualifying etc (see Vettel in Korea).

Edit: Ah, that's more like it: a full list here: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/12/07/wmsc-confirms-f1-rule-changes-for-2012/

Dave B
7th December 2011, 11:42
This in particular is interesting: • Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

In other words, a "Massa/Hamilton/Schumacher rule"!

I am evil Homer
7th December 2011, 12:43
Well it's clarified it in that the "one move" is now moving to defend not the racing line - move - back to racing line, which seemed to be the source of contention and conjectture. It's now in black and white

truefan72
7th December 2011, 13:13
I read all the changes and actually like them all

Big Ben
7th December 2011, 13:54
Didn't we have that thing with the lapped cars being able (or forced?) to unlap themselves under the safety car before? Will they keep change it back and forth every time someone complains about the issue one way or another?

And with that stupid drs all we needed is rules that make passes even easier.

Dave B
7th December 2011, 14:02
Well it's clarified it in that the "one move" is now moving to defend not the racing line - move - back to racing line, which seemed to be the source of contention and conjectture. It's now in black and white

Indeed, and hopefully now we can press the reset button on penalties and only apply them when there was a clear breach of the rule rather than on every little racing incident. If that means investigating them after the race so as to acquire all the evidence - including driver testimony - then so be it.

Dave B
7th December 2011, 14:05
Didn't we have that thing with the lapped cars being able (or forced?) to unlap themselves under the safety car before? Will they keep change it back and forth every time someone complains about the issue one way or another?

Yes we did. It potentially adds to the number of safety car laps as you can't have cars flying round at racing speeds to unlap themselves while there might be people on the track, but it does make the restarts that much fairer without slow cars having to dive out of the way.

And with that stupid drs all we needed is rules that make passes even easier.
Hopefully with a year of data to work on the FIA can tweak the DRS zones so that they negate the disadvantage of running in dirty air but don't let a driver simply breeze past his rival on a long straight. The concept itself is sound but as usual the devil is in the detail.

wedge
7th December 2011, 14:39
This in particular is interesting: • Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

In other words, a "Massa/Hamilton/Schumacher rule"!

OLD

http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/148664-one-move-rule-clarified.html

Dave B
7th December 2011, 14:45
Not really "OLD", it was run as a trial to see whether it could or should be written into the 2012 regulations, as has now happened. In Korea it was merely "adopted as a viewpoint", to quote the Autosport report at the time. Now it's offically confirmed.

wedge
7th December 2011, 15:04
Regardless, it still daft. Absolutely daft.

So when is it OK to break the tow? Probably can't do that in 2012?

So you can't retake the racing line even if the car behind isn't close enough to overtake?

Blocking/chopping still controversial even if you time your maneuver right for one move - just look at some of Schumi's antics/aggressive driving in the past. In ALMS for instance, blocking is clamped down on as its defined as reacting to an overtake as defined by Beaux Barfield

Dave B
7th December 2011, 15:11
So you can't retake the racing line even if the car behind isn't close enough to overtake?

I guess the theory is that if you're close enough to cause the guy in front to make a defensive move, then you're close enough to try an overtaking move. As with all these things the true test is how the stewards interpret it, and whether they're consistent from one event to the next. Pretty much any rule is reasonable if all the drivers know where they stand from day one, and if said rule is applied fairly and consistently throughout the whole season - and that's been sorely lacking in recent years.

AndyL
7th December 2011, 15:26

Looks like it.

wedge
7th December 2011, 16:10
I guess the theory is that if you're close enough to cause the guy in front to make a defensive move, then you're close enough to try an overtaking move. As with all these things the true test is how the stewards interpret it, and whether they're consistent from one event to the next. Pretty much any rule is reasonable if all the drivers know where they stand from day one, and if said rule is applied fairly and consistently throughout the whole season - and that's been sorely lacking in recent years.

Well there you go. It they, the stewards, make a complete a hash of racing incidents then how are they to run the rule fairly on overtakes?

And it has to be said the introduction of driver reps have done little in that respect, not to mention protocol as witnessed at the Italian GP when Derek Daly happened to "miss" an incident from Schumi.

The stewards have sunk to a new low and this new rule will have dug an even bigger hole for them.

Koz
8th December 2011, 01:05

Yes, it's black and white. It confirms what we have known all along racing is not allowed.

Koz
8th December 2011, 01:07
Can we have a rule that black flags the slow fellows like Karthikeyan who don't let lapping cars past?

TheFamousEccles
8th December 2011, 08:34
I recon that the rules should change to require the DRS to activate at the entry to all corners (once the brake is applied), then shut once the power is on - might demonstrate which car has the best mechanical grip rather than which team has the best wind tunnel data ;)

I'm only half kidding, but I do agree with the rule changes, especially the in-season testing.

Mark
8th December 2011, 10:27
#F1 In other changes, under a safety car lapped cars will now unlap themselves and join back of queue so they are not in way at restart

Don't like this one. The point of the safety car is to say "STOP!" and then go slowly until they get the "CARRY ON!" and everything is back as it was. Anything which changes the race beyond what's necessary - is simply not necessary. And allowing cars to unlap themselves lengthens the safety car period considerably.

Edit: Ah, that's more like it: a full list here: WMSC confirms F1 rule changes for 2012 | Adam Cooper's F1 Blog (http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/12/07/wmsc-confirms-f1-rule-changes-for-2012/)[/QUOTE]

Dave B
8th December 2011, 11:05
"STOP!"

"CARRY ON!"

It's like they never left :p

wedge
8th December 2011, 14:48
don't like this one. The point of the safety car is to say "stop!" and then go slowly until they get the "carry on!" and everything is back as it was. Anything which changes the race beyond what's necessary - is simply not necessary. And allowing cars to unlap themselves lengthens the safety car period considerably.

I'm sure this was actually allowed a few years ago.

Bagwan
8th December 2011, 15:52
Does it open the door for more calls of bias for the race director and advisors , when a following car can be either helped by a safety car taking away cars already lapped by the lead driver , or hindered , by leaving them there with mere yellows ?

And , will it tempt any to sacrifice a car , to get a safety car , when it not only brings the pack together , but removes any road blocks in between ? It sounds pretty tempting , and could easily be done with more finesse than the the way Flav and Jr. went about it .
If you worked it right , it could work .

jens
9th December 2011, 14:30
How far ahead does a driver need to be to have the right to return back to racing line before the corner? I have been fine with the rule we have had so far. I mean if a driver is more than a car-length ahead, they should have the right to return to the racing line before corner. Only some misjudgements (Hamilton at Spa) have caused collisions, when driver wasn't a car length ahead, but was expecting to be so. But now if you are a by a clear car length ahead, it is considered as "defending position" and you can't return to racing line any more? Even if you are well clear you can't race through the fastest route on the circuit? :confused:

wedge
9th December 2011, 15:25
Won't be long till F1 copies the Americans with double file restarts.

Mark
9th December 2011, 15:29
I'm sure this was actually allowed a few years ago.

It was. There would come a message from race control "lapped cars can now unlap themselves" and we had a situation where safety car periods were made longer than necessary to carry out this procedure. It undermines the entire premise of the safety car!

Mark
9th December 2011, 15:32
And , will it tempt any to sacrifice a car , to get a safety car , when it not only brings the pack together , but removes any road blocks in between ? It sounds pretty tempting , and could easily be done with more finesse than the the way Flav and Jr. went about it .
If you worked it right , it could work .

15 laps before the end. Vettel is 45 seconds ahead with 6 lapped drivers between him and Button who has just put on fresh tyres. He could overtake but not make up the 45 second gap. Get the secondary driver (Hamilton) to crash?! Surely not.

airshifter
10th December 2011, 00:43
How far ahead does a driver need to be to have the right to return back to racing line before the corner? I have been fine with the rule we have had so far. I mean if a driver is more than a car-length ahead, they should have the right to return to the racing line before corner. Only some misjudgements (Hamilton at Spa) have caused collisions, when driver wasn't a car length ahead, but was expecting to be so. But now if you are a by a clear car length ahead, it is considered as "defending position" and you can't return to racing line any more? Even if you are well clear you can't race through the fastest route on the circuit? :confused:

I can understand the reason for further clarification. Making two moves one very quickly after another is essentially breaking the old rule, yet people have pushed it more and more. Schumacher and Hamilton at Monza was probably the final straw. MS was moving early to cover the inside, then moving outside at the last second so that Lewis couldn't set him up for a pass on either line.

A driver can stay on the fastest racing line, but that generally isn't both the inside and outside of a corner, it's one or the other.

truefan72
10th December 2011, 09:40

That's a fair point Jens
the more i think about it, the more that particular rule seems worrisome
I expect some controversies in the early part of 2011 and perhaps the FIA abandoning this rule midseason or earlier

wedge
10th December 2011, 14:10
It was. There would come a message from race control "lapped cars can now unlap themselves" and we had a situation where safety car periods were made longer than necessary to carry out this procedure. It undermines the entire premise of the safety car!

Pffft

Safety car, pace car same thing.

Ranger
11th December 2011, 00:49
Won't be long till F1 copies the Americans with double file restarts.

And the phantom yellow flags.

They should just ban DRS and that should be enough.

DexDexter
11th December 2011, 09:16
And the phantom yellow flags.

They should just ban DRS and that should be enough.

Why should they ban DRS when most fans and drivers think it's a good idea?

Wim_Impreza
11th December 2011, 09:44
I stopped with watching F1 since there is DRS.

11th December 2011, 13:21
Yes, it's absolutely legal. I just finished a season in Europe and you can practically take the net with you coming down from a block, as long as you didn't touch the tape. Some of the club coaches in the region are now teaching their setters to release to the net, and touch it at the bottom when they get to their spot so they know they are in the right place.

edv
11th December 2011, 17:24
As for lapped cars allowed to 'unlap' why not just have them pull over to the side of the track until the rest of the field passes by, then take up positions at the back?
That would certainly save the extra safety car time.
Sure they would unfairly save some fuel compared to the other cars, but a least it would accomplish the same thing only much safer.

Bagwan
11th December 2011, 19:19
15 laps before the end. Vettel is 45 seconds ahead with 6 lapped drivers between him and Button who has just put on fresh tyres. He could overtake but not make up the 45 second gap. Get the secondary driver (Hamilton) to crash?! Surely not.

This year , you made up the 45 seconds , but still had to deal with the guys in between .

Now , without them , Button would have a really decent chance , with fresher tires , in the last ten laps or so , once they sorted the backmarker population out .
While this particular scenario does sound exciting , is it fair to Vettel here , having worked his way through those markers , no doubt costing him time by which Button already was advantaged ?

It just sounds like another "DRS-esque" , hurt the guy ahead thing , that has the quantity of passing put firmly ahead of the idea of quality of passing .

And , yes , sad though it is , I can imagine Hammy being sacrificed for the team , if the points situation was critical , and his own cause was a no-hope tail-ender .
Before anyone suggests that it's a shot at Lewis , he is actually a good example , if only to illustrate that it could be anyone , so high are the stakes .

Of course , when you supply engines to several teams , folks might remember good deeds when deals are done .

DexDexter
13th December 2011, 15:39
I stopped with watching F1 since there is DRS.

And? I'm sure there is someone who stopped watching F1 because he liked rubbing his nose more. That doesn't mean DRS isn't a success.

edv
13th December 2011, 15:50

I seem to recall a recent situation such as that which you describe, Mark...Vettel on old tires and Button charging up the field on fresh ones, when a red flag situation arose which allowed Vettel to get new tires while parked on the front straight (thus destroying the potential drama).
The safety car can be your enemy and also your friend..even within the same incident.

schmenke
13th December 2011, 19:32
As for lapped cars allowed to 'unlap' why not just have them pull over to the side of the track until the rest of the field passes by, then take up positions at the back?
That would certainly save the extra safety car time.
Sure they would unfairly save some fuel compared to the other cars, but a least it would accomplish the same thing only much safer.

Where on track would they pull over, and who decides? All at a pre-designated spot, somewhere safe? Or at the driver’s earliest convenience?

Would this also not potentially cause the engines to overheat, parked waiting for the queue to go by?

I agree with Mark. The purpose of the SC is to slow the cars down, allowing marshalls to safely deal with an on-track situation. Allowing lapped cars to pass the SC, then zip around the track including the site of the incident, to joint the back of the queue defeats the purpose.

wedge
7th January 2012, 15:38
Scarb's pick of the tech-regs

2012: Technical Regulations Published | Scarbsf1's Blog (http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/2012-technical-regulations-published/)

5.5 Drivers torque demand via the accelerator pedal more tightly defined

9.2.5 Clutch control is more tightly defined

9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh

Clamping down on startline tricks.

9.8.5 Track position cannot be used as an input the gearshift control - ???

12.7.3 Only tyre heating blankets may be used to warm the tyres - does anyone know more into this?

12.8.4 Wheel guns can only run on Air or Nitrogen, not Helium - helium allows quicker air guns

janneppi
7th January 2012, 16:06
Scarb's pick of the tech-regs

9.8.5 Track position cannot be used as an input the gearshift control - ???

A GPS based automatic gear box?

12.7.3 Only tyre heating blankets may be used to warm the tyres - does anyone know more into this?

Wasn't there some talk few years ago when at least one team had oven type warmers, whic IMO were banned even then?

Mark
7th January 2012, 20:37
The auto gearboxes were based on track position as I recall.

Currently the gear change must be actuated by the driver but there's no restriction in changing the way it shifts according to track position.

wedge
8th January 2012, 12:24
The auto gearboxes were based on track position as I recall.

Currently the gear change must be actuated by the driver but there's no restriction in changing the way it shifts according to track position.

That rings a bell