PDA

View Full Version : Penske Racing fires Kurt Busch

Jared East
5th December 2011, 03:17
I have seen this any other place. If its true its huge news, I hope Hornish will get to replace him.

For the second time in his Sprint Cup Series career, an off-track issue has cost Kurt Busch his job.

Busch will not return next season to drive Penske Racing's No. 22 Dodge, multiple sources confirmed to the Observer and ThatsRacin.com on Sunday night.

An official announcement of Busch's departure from the organization is expected from Penske on Monday.

Just over a week ago NASCAR fined Busch $50,000 for the use of an obscene gesture and a profanity-laced tirade directed toward a media member during the Cup series finale race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

The incident with ESPN reporter Dr. Jerry Punch, which took place in the garage after Busch's car broke its transmission, was caught on video and posted on YouTube.

At the time, Penske Racing officials issued a statement saying they were reviewing the matter internally.

Asked if he could confirm Busch as the driver of the No. 22 team in 2012, Penske spokesman Jonathan Gibson referred to its previous statement and said the organization would have no further comment at this time.

In November 2005, less than one year after winning his first Cup series championship, Busch was fired by Roush Fenway Racing after he was cited for criminal reckless in Avondale, Ariz., in what police described as an alcohol-related incident.

Busch sat out the remaining two races of the 2005 season. He began driving for team owner Roger Penske in the 2006 season.

Since joining Penske, Busch has won 10 races and his highest finish in the series standings was fourth in 2009.

This decision comes very late in the year and puts both Busch and Penske in a difficult position.

There are no quality rides currently available for next season for Busch to pursue, and no drivers with a resume on the track similar to Busch's presumably available for Penske to hire.

Several drivers who competed in the Cup series this season remain without rides, including David Ragan, Brian Vickers and David Reutimann.

Read more: Penske Racing fires Kurt Busch | www.thatsracin.com (http://www.thatsracin.com/2011/12/04/80040/penske-racing-fires-kurt-busch.html#ixzz1fcuH367G)

Penske Racing fires Kurt Busch | www.thatsracin.com (http://www.thatsracin.com/2011/12/04/80040/penske-racing-fires-kurt-busch.html)

Lee Roy
5th December 2011, 04:52
WOW!!!!!

Hopefully this will be a wakeup (or maybe a "grow-up") call for Kurt.

Sparky1329
5th December 2011, 05:33
I'd like to know what his little brother is thinking right now. As for Kurt, he got what he earned. Maybe he'll luck out and get a start and park ride.

00steven
5th December 2011, 12:19
I'll believe it when I see it. Kurt is a champion.

Lee Roy
5th December 2011, 12:51
Kurt may be petulant and childish, as well as rude and socially unacceptable, but the guy can flat drive a race car. Penske may get a more polished driver, but he'd better be prepared to run mid-pack with the 22 next year.

slorydn1
5th December 2011, 14:18
We maybe reacting to nothing right now. It still hasn't been confirmed yet :p

Penske officals are reportedly meeting today to discuss this very issue.

Still, as is usual with these deals, where there is smoke, there is fire. :hot:

Speaking of Smoke, who was the Champion the last time Kurt Busch got canned? :s mokin:

djparky
5th December 2011, 15:42
just confirmed at Autosport- Busch has been dropped by Penske

I am evil Homer
5th December 2011, 16:05
I'll believe it when I see it. Kurt is a champion.

Get ready to believe then: Penske parts company with Kurt Busch - NASCAR news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96663)

DanicaFan
5th December 2011, 16:37
It's about time. Kurt's attitude this past season was horrible. Roger could only take so much of it.

David Ragan will replace Kurt in the #22 next season.

00steven
5th December 2011, 16:39
Wow.

Lee Roy
5th December 2011, 16:53
David Ragan will replace Kurt in the #22 next season.

That would be a shame. I would hope that Penske would after better talent than that. He should see if he could get somehow get Regan Smith.

DanicaFan
5th December 2011, 17:51
I would like to see what Regan Smith could do with top notch equipment. He had a decent season.

Oli_M
5th December 2011, 21:57
I'd have thought, of the free agents out there, Vickers and Reutimann would be better drivers to replace Kurt. I've just really seen nothing outstanding from Ragan (save his run of 5 good races in the middle of this year), I just get the feeling that overall, Vickers or Reuti would get a better finishing result.

I guess just as big a question is where will Kurt end up?

Lee Roy
5th December 2011, 22:05
I'd have thought, of the free agents out there, Vickers and Reutimann would be better drivers to replace Kurt. I've just really seen nothing outstanding from Ragan (save his run of 5 good races in the middle of this year), I just get the feeling that overall, Vickers or Reuti would get a better finishing result.

All three of them are about the same, mid-pack at best.

I guess just as big a question is where will Kurt end up?

I'd love to see the #22 go to Regan Smith and let Kurt the drive the #78. It would be good for both of them. Penske would get probably one of the better young talents out there and the #78 would get a championship caliber driver to give them more exposure and a very good driver.

But that's just my opinion.

ms0362
5th December 2011, 22:43
It doesn't seem likely that a top team will pick Busch up. His bridges are burned at Roush. Hendricks had enough KYB. Gibbs now as his hands full with KYB. Childress is full and has enough problems, as it is for the rest of the teams. He may get lucky and get a partial ride with something of the calilber of what Bobby Labonte has been doing the last few years. 20th or worse equipment. Guess he should have learned to hold is frustrations for the Monday debrief meetings and added "no comment" to his vocabulary when he got out of the car after a bad finish. He can kiss his 10 million $$$ a year salary days away.

As for replacement. Ragan is excellent for the camera and plugging sponsors, but his record may haunt him. Reutimann isn't as good for the camera and his record is worse. Vickers is more agressive but typically hits every car but the pace car when things aren't going his way. Regan Smith would be great, but his team is wrapped up to tight with Hendricks and Chevorlet for him to jump camp to the loan Dodge team. Penske took care of Shell/Pennzoil's first request of canning Busch. Filling the seat with a Chase potential candidate will be the hard part.

Nem14
5th December 2011, 22:51
With 2 more years left on his contract too. Wow! I wonder how that shakes out?

A major Whoopsie for a previous series champion.

call_me_andrew
6th December 2011, 03:41
Kurt may be petulant and childish, as well as rude and socially unacceptable,

Isn't that was "Boys have at it" was supposed to encourage?

Lee Roy
6th December 2011, 03:50

No, that would have been "Children have at it". ;)

beachbum
6th December 2011, 12:10
With 2 more years left on his contract too. Wow! I wonder how that shakes out?

A major Whoopsie for a previous series champion.
Major. He did mention the loss of income in an interview, so it would seem there was no contract buyout. They can spin it anyway they want, but he was fired.

There is a difference between aggressive and petulant. KB has been acting like a spoiled child for some time

Jared East
7th December 2011, 17:08
I bet Clint Bowyer is pissed off about one of the top rides come open after he signed with MWR in mid pack car at best.

wedge
8th December 2011, 14:39
I'd have thought, of the free agents out there, Vickers and Reutimann would be better drivers to replace Kurt.

Vickers has been an idiot during the Chase. Just the right time when he's looking for a ride. I wonder if that might count against him? For sure the guy has some talent.

edv
8th December 2011, 17:35
Well, his BIG problem now is sponsorship.
I have a tough time trying to figure which demographic might find Kurt Busch appealing...housewives? teens? jocks? gearheads? kids? WWF? I can't think of any.
I can see where some might like a bad boy, but there's a difference between 'bad boy' and 'tough guy'. Neither Busch strikes me as a 'tough guy'. They're both punks.

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2011, 16:09
Just looking on my Facebook Feed this AM, Apparently the nod with AJ Allemdinger free to look around is he may end up in the 22. David Ragan didn't get the gig obviously or he would have been signed by now I think.

As for Vickers, I wouldn't send him to the store to buy me milk. He shows no judgement. Imagine a Busch brother without the talent!!!